gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

11 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Which is the same as closing them.  The owners can not pay to keep a staff on for the few numbers of call in orders. Additionally how many people are eating as there primary purpose at 8 pm.  Almost none people are out to eat and drink which is where the money is.  So tell me all about the legality of takeout bar service.

The fact is the ordinance shuts them down.  Thinking anything else is the same as thinking NJ is a may issue carry state,  It is legally but in actuality it isn't.

Holy shit dude. Let it go.   

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

I bet dominos makes a killing.

DoorDash is a thing and I bet a lot of these places can somewhat tread water with delivery or take out. 

• Informative 1

33 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Which is the same as closing them.  The owners can not pay to keep a staff on for the few numbers of call in orders. Additionally how many people are eating as there primary purpose at 8 pm.  Almost none people are out to eat and drink which is where the money is.  So tell me all about the legality of takeout bar service.

The fact is the ordinance shuts them down.  Thinking anything else is the same as thinking NJ is a may issue carry state,  It is legally but in actuality it isn't.

No one is denying that this is going to put financial hardships on restaurants. Of course many owners will have to make the tough choice to close up shop but the order in it self does not require them to close completely. 

Takeout from bars has always been legal just not for open containers. You can but beer, wine and liquor at greatly inflated prices. I have bought 6 packs from bars in NJ several times after the liquor stores close. 

30 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I bet dominos makes a killing.

A business whose model is predicated in making deliveries of the food they make makes a killing....making deliveries of their food.

Sonofagun, I would never

Here's a interesting graphic on the History of Pandemics and the death toll. I remember a bunch of them.

What I DON'T remember is the states and country being shut down for any of them. Does anyone else? Also, look at where the Covid-19 fits in:

History-of-Pandemics.jpg

On a slightly more upbeat note... I'm curious, how do you all think the NJGF community compares in preparedness to the community at-large? A little better? Heads and shoulders above? I suspect it's the latter.

Because honestly, as I look at my own journey over the last 4ish years, I think the act of gun ownership has changed me a lot. It's made me question the values/assumptions/political views I held… to think deeply about issues like self-reliance, looking out for loved ones, being a good neighbor... to view the occasional prepper video not to mock it (as I admit I did in years past) but to learn... and then, most importantly, to act on my concerns, address gaps, and become more "prepared" to handle an unexpected situation. Ok, so I didn't think it'd be a goddamn global pandemic, LOL... and I'm also probably far from the level of preparation where I should be. But, that said, I am also far more prepared than I was 4 years ago!  My pantry is stocked, my head is screwed on straight, and god forbid, in the worst case scenario of a crime uptick or even some civil unrest (which I believe is remote) I have some tools for self-defense and I'm pretty handy with them. That's quite enough to get me through this! And I seriously believe I'm on the low end of the preparedness scale compared to most of you here! Based on reading your posts over the years, I've always been impressed with how uniquely self-reliant and capable this group is. Based on that, my guess is that your households will come through whatever is thrown at us in the coming weeks and months, and you will fare FAR BETTER than many other households, simply because of who you are.  (And yes, you may all take that as a compliment... uhh, don't let it go to your heads though)! ;)

I think we all just need to follow the recommended hygiene practices - hand washing, social distancing, etc. - keep a cool head, share information, and take each day as it comes. Whether it turns out that this was overhyped or underhyped, time will tell. But, we'll get through this either way. And I want to thank @gleninjersey for starting this thread when he did. I've found it very helpful indeed!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

On a slightly more upbeat note... I'm curious, how do you all think the NJGF community compares in preparedness to the community at-large? A little better? Heads and shoulders above? I suspect it's the latter.

Because honestly, as I look at my own journey over the last 4ish years, I think the act of gun ownership has changed me a lot. It's made me question the values/assumptions/political views I held… to think deeply about issues like self-reliance, looking out for loved ones, being a good neighbor... to view the occasional prepper video not to mock it (as I admit I did in years past) but to learn... and then, most importantly, to act on my concerns, address gaps, and become more "prepared" to handle an unexpected situation. Ok, so I didn't think it'd be a goddamn global pandemic, LOL... and I'm also probably far from the level of preparation where I should be. But, that said, I am also far more prepared than I was 4 years ago!  My pantry is stocked, my head is screwed on straight, and god forbid, in the worst case scenario of a crime uptick or even some civil unrest (which I believe is remote) I have some tools for self-defense and I'm pretty handy with them. That's quite enough to get me through this! And I seriously believe I'm on the low end of the preparedness scale compared to most of you here! Based on reading your posts over the years, I've always been impressed with how uniquely self-reliant and capable this group is. Based on that, my guess is that your households will come through whatever is thrown at us in the coming weeks and months, and you will fare FAR BETTER than many other households, simply because of who you are.  (And yes, you may all take that as a compliment... uhh, don't let it go to your heads though)! ;)

I think we all just need to follow the recommended hygiene practices - hand washing, social distancing, etc. - keep a cool head, share information, and take each day as it comes. Whether it turns out that this was overhyped or underhyped, time will tell. But, we'll get through this either way. And I want to thank @gleninjersey for starting this thread when he did. I've found it very helpful indeed!

@gleninjersey is gpt supa charged 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Not looking to argue at all just an observation

-----  See this is the thing ------   When you use terms like that, 'YET'.  That is what I cannot get over - there is always the push to incite, and sometimes imo, you are just as guilty of what you are accusing the media of doing, inciting a possible panic.

Because I am fairly certain that no one this evening is going to be 'shot on site' and I am also pretty sure it is not going to happen tomorrow or next week either - but ya never know.

The more pressing issue I think - it that you are a believer that this is quite possibly a hoax of some sort.  While I think it has been blown out of proportion, you seem to think that it should be business as usual, and that does not seem to make sense to me.

There is surely a public health event taking place, that has been turned into a major shit show, granted, but to ignore that there are more severe ramifications of doing nothing, than taking these extreme measures, cannot be understated. 

So, let's say there is a further 'lockdown' a la Italy, and let's say it is necessary, wouldn't this all be a small price to pay to saves lives and the nation as a whole?  I would submit to you doing nothing has far more dire circumstances in pushing a people to a more dangerous outcome that what is being down now.

Do I see a day where the NAT GUARD is going to be on the streets in certain areas? Yes, to assist police, and other emergency element to assist the nation in keeping people safe in so much as they can, not to mow them down.

I am usually very pessimistic, but I see nothing but good things coming from all this once we get past this very very hard learned lesson.

I see a resurgence in US manufacturing !

I see market forces brought to bear to Support that !

I see new opportunities in technology !

I see new opportunities in Health Care !

I see new opportunities in investment avenues to support the above !

I see that maybe *FINALLY* we can see the VALUE of our older generations and treat them with the respect they deserve in their later years, in lieu of being toss away humans !!!

This is NOT the apocalypse, that would be a death rate of SARS/MERS at this level of transmissibility of this contagion - that would be apocalyptic - and stacking of bodies.  Maybe just maybe this event, will be the impetus to finally get a vaccine in order to provide some protection for a future event.  

@USRifle30Cal:

Bravo Sir.....!

AVB-AMG

Image result for emoji of Orson welles clapping

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Based on reading your posts over the years, I've always been impressed with how uniquely self-reliant and capable this group is.

That's the biggest difference between being a Conservative or a Liberal, being self reliant versus expecting the nanny state to take care of you. Glad you finally left the dark side.  :good:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Now I'm expecting a video tonight

@fishnut:

or at least a graphic news story tomorrow morning of a really bad automobile accident......

AVB-AMG 

2 hours ago, 9X19 said:

Why are we all fighting lol? I though this was a thread to share info about the Pandemic that others who have not been glued to a TV all day may have missed.

@9X19:

Well, it has turned into a.....

Image result for circular firing squad cartoon emoji

4 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

@fishnut:

or at least a graphic news story tomorrow morning of a really bad automobile accident......

AVB-AMG 

@9X19:

Well, it has turned into a.....

Image result for circular firing squad cartoon emoji

Negative, dont want to see him get hurt. Just some top speed runs on the turnpike or something like that. 

@Mrs. Peel my wife used to think I was crazy for bring as prepared as I am. On Thursday we inventoried the supply's I have on hand and the only thing we needed to stock up on was dog food, beer and wine. 

She dosent think I'm crazy for prepping anymore now shes grateful 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

For of you debating the meaning  of restaurants closing, my son worked as a bartender at at restaurant in Sea Bright and one in Red Bank.  Effective today, both have completely shutdown and he is out of work.  There is no confusion here as to the financial impact of this virus on those businesses and on us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

For of you debating the meaning  of restaurants closing, my son worked as a bartender at at restaurant in Sea Bright and one in Red Bank.  Effective today, both have completely shutdown and he is out of work.  There is no confusion here as to the financial impact of this virus on those businesses and on us.

Absolutely. We aren't talking about paper losses on the stock market. These are lives being affected now and for the foreseeable  future. And how many of those places will be able to reopen? The economic impact of this is going to be huge.

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

There is only one person debating the financial burden of restaurants closing who choose to not remain open for take out only. I'm sure there are plenty of other business hit as well that are forced to closed like venues etc. It would be hard for ANY physical business to stay afloat right now.

A quick random search on Facebook has many businesses posting about take out services being open...at least the ones that provided any update. 

Perspective might be an important attribute here.. 

As a consumer... if I can order food from somewhere it's open to me...

If the places your son works at went take out only, I'm sure you and he consider it closed. Of the primary income is from alcohol, o could see why they would close entirely 

23 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Of the primary income is from alcohol, o could see why they would close entirely 

29 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

my son worked as a bartender at at restaurant in Sea Bright and one in Red Bank.  

Reading.....

29 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Effective today, both have completely shutdown and he is out of work.  There is no confusion here as to the financial impact of this virus on those businesses and on us.

This can't be, we've been told here, over and over, that all restaurants are staying open doing take-out only.

18 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Reading.....

This can't be, we've been told here, over and over, that All restaurants are staying open doing take-out only.

No one said that... I think youre hearing voices..again.. 

But how can  these restaurants be selling take out if they are ALL closed like some have actually said around here?

It's like some kinda of magic trick... like getting shot by the nat guard on ur way home from pizza hut..

I made one fucking comment that restaurants can stay open for take out only after someone posted they were all closed

That's it... what ever circle jerk you guys got going on you can do amongst urselves.

What if all this "Stay Home " and shut down the state is bullshit?

After all 99% of the cases is more like a Cold or worse, the flu.

Aside from those immune compromised people. 18000, died from the flu this year in the US and we have 3 deaths in NJ from COVD-19? All three had a laundry list of ailments.

Is this just a way to crush Trumps sizzling economy?

The flu cold season ends in mid-to late april, consistantly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@USRifle30Cal:

Bravo Sir.....!

AVB-AMG

Image result for emoji of Orson welles clapping

10 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@USRifle30Cal:

ABV = Alcohol By Volume.....:mda:

AVB-AMG

Ha !

Yeah I got it wrong - at this time - we need to put aside the NJGF partisan bullcrap and find a way to support one another, just like everyone else here in this nation and world.

I am quite sure Lincoln will forgive me - 

In my opinion, it will not cease, until a crisis shall have been reached, and passed.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

Let's stop already - who wants to be smartest, who wants to win the debate, who wants to lean fully left, who wants to lean fully right, who believes nothing is going on, who believes something is going on - etc.

The time is NOW to be a supportive and unifying voice here to our community - if it does not - and we go into a further isolation, and this infighting and bickering continue, here - it will be a small microcosm of the larger society and possibly the fall of the Republic.

As such @AVB-AMG I really don't see eye to eye on many of your posts - LOL - as I am sure you mine - however, in this time - 

I would shake your hand - but you know virii and stuff - :)

Image result for live long and prosper

Be safe and fair thee well - 

Additionally, as this is a community - if it becomes a toxic wasteland of innuendo, trite conversation, doom and gloom - in lieu of embracing and betting on America and it's people - who needs that negativity in their lives, especially now of all times?

Image result for negative waves

Is it going to be hard - are people going to get hurt, both physically, emotionally and financially -yes, so sadly yes.

But I *am* going to bet on America, and I *am* going to bet on it's people - that is how I am going to live my days going forward...

All the while saying a prayer for our sorry asses !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

This might end then.  Too soon to tell.  Plenty of seasonal viruses are out there, but the coronaviruses SARS and MERS weren't seasonal, they were a threat all year long.  SARS only for one year, fortunately.

By far, the biggest questions in my mind (in a lot of minds) are:

Is this a seasonal virus, and if so, will it come back?    I'm confident a vaccine will be developed, and could be available as soon as next year, which would blunt the return enormously.

Is the viral genome sufficiently stable so that a person who has caught it once, cannot be re-infected?   If this proves to be a one-and-done infection, the population will become increasingly resistant over time (although having to catch the disease once is a sucky way to develop resistance).   Current speculation leans towards re-infection being unlikely, but that's far from certain at this point.   A stable genome also means you only have to develop a vaccine once, like for measles or MMR, rather than every year, like for flu.

It's going to be a few months before we have good answers to either of these questions.

33 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

What if all this "Stay Home " and shut down the state is bullshit?

After all 99% of the cases is more like a Cold or worse, the flu.

Aside from those immune compromised people. 18000, died from the flu this year in the US and we have 3 deaths in NJ from COVD-19? All three had a laundry list of ailments.

Is this just a way to crush Trumps sizzling economy?

i think i'd read last night that in this country we're up to 4600 and change confirmed cases, with 85 deaths total nationwide. the cases seem to be going up quickly(as i think we all expected) but the number of deaths(thankfully) do not seem to be going up so quickly.

10 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I made one fucking comment that restaurants can stay open for take out only after someone posted they were all closed

That's it... what ever circle jerk you guys got going on you can do amongst urselves.

Don't take stuff too seriously. You know people will argue over the color of the blue sky

• Haha 1

Can you imagine if they reported cold or flu cases, like this? Because that is what 99% of the "cases" actually are. Media hype to do their part in helping the Dems?  Damage President Trump?

Is NJ, NY, CT overreacting to conceal a more sinister plot?

These are thing outside the Box, but it's good to look outside the box, sometimes...

• Agree 2