gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

Here's a fun thing to think about. Every time an ambulance crew picks up someone who is found to be positive, they are pulled out of service to self-quarantine for 2 weeks. I wonder how long it will take to run out of ambulance crews? It's not like EMTs are in an infinite supply.

12 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Here's a fun thing to think about. Every time an ambulance crew picks up someone who is found to be positive, they are pulled out of service to self-quarantine for 2 weeks. I wonder how long it will take to run out of ambulance crews? It's not like EMTs are in an infinite supply.

Same thing with the po po.

Police departments could get hollowed out by illness or go into a contact-limiting mode where they only respond to the most critical calls.

Not a bad idea to have your shotty ready...

9 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Police departments could get hollowed out by illness or go into a contact-limiting mode where they only respond to the most critical calls.

Clean rifles ✔︎

Ammo supply✔︎

Food ✔︎

Water✔︎

Too many Benny invaders seeking refuge✔︎

By Bye fairies.gif

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Aren't they *always* ready.

SITREP -

FRANKLIN SHOPRITE - my wife advises it is a madhouse - no paper products, no over the counter meds (tylenol etc.), packed with people for 9-ish on a tuesday - no panic but very very busy.  People buying a lot.  Typically she says that a typical tuesday at this time is very very quite.

This was just a normal shop for us - but she snagged some additional items etc.  Another evan williams and a couple of cases of LAGER...ya know - priorities  :)

Be safe - 

15 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I bet dominos makes a killing.

Lol!  I picked up an order from them in Pompton Lakes last night.  There appeared to be only one guy working there.  I asked him if they were going to be allowed to stay open after 8:00 PM, since no one could go there to pick up orders, and their drivers are not supposed to be on the roads.  He seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, so I just took my pizza, wished him well, and left. 

42 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

I've actually received a bunch of Nixle alerts that the PoPos have changed the way they are responding to calls. Minor stuff is being done on the phone or online. Major incidents their telling people they will meet them on their front lawns...

Hint: You're on you own.... plan accordingly...

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I've actually received a bunch of Nixle alerts that the PoPos have changed the way they are responding to calls. Minor stuff is being done on the phone or online. Major incidents their telling people they will meet them on their front lawns...

But, but, but, the police are here to protect us! You know,  "protect and serve"  something something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Hopatcong police wont even let you in the building....

25 minutes ago, Sniper said:

18 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

But, but, but, the police are here to protect us! You know,  "protect and serve"  something something.

Guys, really...I think the bigger problem is that a number of citizens get panicky and do stupid things like dial 911 because they have a lil' sniffle, clogging up critical resources. So, to me, this actually sounds like a smart approach by the police in terms of managing resources while also trying to protect their limited number of staff from infection, so that they can maintain staffing levels weeks/months down the road. Honestly, what more could we expect them to do? They're going to have to adapt to the situation as it unfolds, probably making even more changes in the days to come. I don't envy ANY first responder right now, as I sit safely snuggled in my house - not getting sneezed and coughed on while an infection is spreading. God bless them is my attitude! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Guys, really...I think the bigger problem is that a number of citizens get panicky and do stupid things like dial 911 because they have a lil' sniffle, clogging up critical resources. So, to me, this actually sounds like a smart approach by the police in terms of managing resources while also trying to protect their limited number of staff from infection, so that they can maintain staffing levels weeks/months down the road. Honestly, what more could we expect them to do? They're going to have to adapt to the situation as it unfolds, probably making even more changes in the days to come. I don't envy ANY first responder right now, as I sit safely snuggled in my house - not getting sneezed and coughed on while an infection is spreading. God bless them is my attitude! 

It's called hazardous pay.. 

We don't pay 26 year old cops 100-120k a year to hand out speeding tickets...

I wish them the best of luck, but that is the job... public safety.. 

Resources are not limited for police right now, I'm sure I could find plenty of them sitting on Rt 15 right now waiting to pull someone over for speeding. 

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

Agree overall with Mrs. Peel; I think the point (for me at least) is that the scum of society will take advantage of the situation. A member of another forum I frequent is a LEO (I have no proof, going by what he said); he more or less said, they were told to limit contact with the public when possible. Meaning, they may not initiate contact with someone they otherwise would have, if they had suspicions. I look at it as the broken window deal. They may not pull over someone to discover the burglar tools on the front seat now.

Edit to add: he did also say that crime seems to have dropped with more people staying off the streets.

• Informative 1

@Mrs. Peel

Serious question.. 

If the police wont show up for a vehicle accident where its reported no injuries... 

Would they then stop conducting minor traffic stops? 

Are we now at a point where the roads are a free for all because cops don't want to come into contact with people?

These are important questions people should be aware of. 

How does this work in other situations of possible criminal activity, domestic violence.. etc?

The most important aspect to Police services is PRESENCE, what good does a cop do behind a telephone? 

Imagine if your doctor stopped physical contact.... or nurses.. or paramedics... why do the police feel special in this respect?

9 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Edit to add: he did also say that crime seems to have dropped with more people staying off the streets.

This. Is. Just. The. Beginning. 

Once people hear limited police services... no longer going after low level crime... 

The bottom feeders will start coming out in force.. just wait.  it will be bad in populated areas if this continues down the rabbit hole. 

• Agree 1

My sister-in-law is a high mukkety muck at a hospital chain...she had 30 nurses call out sick.  They already have a full load of patients.  I suspect many of them showed up because they got the sniffles, to be honest.  But they still take a bed and nurse attention.

Anyway, if anyone needs groceries, especially produce, there is a place called Farmers Club on Rt130 in East Windsor.  It is a real store with limited groceries, but most of the floor space is fresh produce.  Fully stocked today.  I needed potatoes yesterday and went to shoprite...they had exactly one potato.  One.    This place place has them topped up to the ceiling.  Plus you can buy a 2-foot cactus branch.  Most of the shoppers are from the local SA immigrant community, so it isn't popular with the soccer moms and elderly that hit the shoprite.

• Informative 1

10 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

@Mrs. Peel

Serious question.. 

If the police wont show up for a vehicle accident where its reported no injuries... 

Would they then stop conducting minor traffic stops? 

Are we now at a point where the roads are a free for all because cops don't want to come into contact with people?

These are important questions people should be aware of. 

How does this work in other situations of possible criminal activity, domestic violence.. etc?

For the record, I wasn't "face palming" your line of thought in terms of - what impacts COULD this have on policing down the road?

What I objected to, is that oh-so-often, in any kind of difficult situation - people around here have a tendency to trash cops. They... get paid too much, give too many tickets, are corrupt... or whatever! I think a majority of cops (probably in at least the same proportions as other occupations) are decent, hard-working and take their jobs seriously. It's the constant swipes at them that seems unreasonable to me. They're just people, trying to do their jobs - an unusually thankless job at that. That was my only point.

As far as your larger point, honestly... we don't know how this will impact policing. Hopefully not much at all. A cop can still pull someone over for a minor traffic stop, for instance, and stand a few feet away (I would guess) for something so minor. But, avoiding unnecessary travel, staying at your home when possible, and keeping your cool is probably... gee, I don't know... a reasonable approach at this point? Why are we ratcheting up the anti-cop bias and the rhetoric like it's a "free for all" - when it's clearly not? That's my only point! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Imagine if your doctor stopped physical contact.... or nurses.. or paramedics... why do the police feel special in this respect?

As to this particular point... again, your contention is that the police are doing this because they feel "special". I think that's ridiculous. They're doing it because there's only so many trained cops, and if some have to self-quarantine because they got exposed over a MINOR infraction, that will be another cop pulled out of rotation down the road... when things actually MIGHT get dicey out there. Prioritizing cases, and maintaining social distancing over MINOR things just seems prudent. We're viewing it through 2 different lenses, obviously. We might have to agree to disagree! :)

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

This. Is. Just. The. Beginning. 

Once people hear limited police services... no longer going after low level crime... 

The bottom feeders will start coming out in force.. just wait.  it will be bad in populated areas if this continues down the rabbit hole.

Add to that, once the paycheck to paycheck population, who were just got let go from their closed businesses/jobs, expect interesting times, when desperation kicks in, and they know cops aren't showing up for burglary calls..

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

They're doing it because there's only so many trained cops, and if some have to self-quarantine because they got exposed over a MINOR infraction, that will be another cop pulled out of rotation down the road... when things actually MIGHT get dicey out there. Prioritizing cases, and maintaining social distancing over MINOR things just seems prudent.

So, what are you going to do when the "tweakers" show up for an unplanned visit, and the local LEO's decide they aren't coming, because they're afraid of an infection?

• Agree 1

Just came back from my local Walmart.... needed some entertainment. :yahoo: The sheep are STILL panicking.. Here are the milk, water, toilet paper and paper towel aisles, wonder if the supply trucks are even running:

milk1.jpg

milk2.jpg

water.jpg

tp2.jpg

pt2.jpg

44 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

For the record, I wasn't "face palming" your line of thought in terms of - what impacts COULD this have on policing down the road?

What I objected to, is that oh-so-often, in any kind of difficult situation - people around here have a tendency to trash cops. They... get paid too much, give too many tickets, are corrupt... or whatever! I think a majority of cops (probably in at least the same proportions as other occupations) are decent, hard-working and take their jobs seriously. It's the constant swipes at them that seems unreasonable to me. They're just people, trying to do their jobs - an unusually thankless job at that. That was my only point.

As far as your larger point, honestly... we don't know how this will impact policing. Hopefully not much at all. A cop can still pull someone over for a minor traffic stop, for instance, and stand a few feet away (I would guess) for something so minor. But, avoiding unnecessary travel, staying at your home when possible, and keeping your cool is probably... gee, I don't know... a reasonable approach at this point? Why are we ratcheting up the anti-cop bias and the rhetoric like it's a "free for all" - when it's clearly not? That's my only point! 

My comment was in no way anti cop..

I didn't say they didnt deserve the pay, I said it came with stipulations...  

The job has always been hazardous, and they are paid good money because of that.. that was my point..

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sniper said:

So, what are you going to do when the "tweakers" show up for an unplanned visit, and the local LEO's decide they aren't coming, because they're afraid of an infection?

Sadly, many of those events happen so fast even under ordinary circumstances, police may not show up on time anyway. And in national emergencies, sometimes they are simply stretched even thinner, and response times are slower than normal. I think we all know those realities... isn't that one of the reasons we're gun owners? Even those of us who "simply" enjoy target-shooting, know that guns also serve a self-defense purpose. I'm not unrealistic about crime risk or how to mitigate it - but I do think the "any chance to bash a cop" attitude or the alarmist "end of days" hyping that sometimes takes place on these threads is just a bit much. I'd like to see calmer heads prevail, that's all.

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

My comment was in no way anti cop..

I didn't say they didnt deserve the pay, I said it came with stipulations...  

The job has always been hazardous, and they are paid good money because of that.. that was my point..

Fair enough! And I'm sorry if I misjudged your comments. Thank you for clarifying!  

Meh, my perspective had always been when things get bad, the cops are gonna worry about themselves first.... it's just now we can see that a bit and it's not even that bad yet.. 

I dont blame them.. I'm worried for myself and my family and that's just human nature.

To me, this is all expected.. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Meh, my perspective had always been when things get bad, the cops are gonna worry about themselves first...

During super storm Sandy, as it was happening, I was listening to my scanner.  All the cops in my town were out there, in the thick of it.  They were driving around doing damage/flood assessments, doing rescues and well checks all night long, dodging downed power lines and trees and flying debris.  Not worrying about themselves first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

During super storm Sandy, as it was happening, I was listening to my scanner.  All the cops in my town were out there, in the thick of it.  They were driving around doing damage/flood assessments, doing rescues and well checks all night long, dodging downed power lines and trees and flying debris.  Not worrying about themselves first.

I think you need to separate a localized short term event from a national emergency where civilization is on the brink of collapsing.. 

Hurricane Katrina might be a better point of reference here... and they did suspend search and rescues..

and then this:

https://www.wave3.com/story/3904630/police-chief-249-new-orleans-officers-left-posts-without-permission-during-katrina/

This is NOT meant to cop bash.. I am not anti-cop... this is just a reality.