gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

8 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I read somewhere that there was a press conference concerning the FDA that was supposed to take place Wed Night or Thursday morning.  Then I read it was at 10am.   Go figure, I can't find the article.

I'm not sure what's it's about.   I can hope it's this.

Either way I watched the video - it is promising it seems !

Here is a very interesting coincidence.

Anti-Malaria drugs seem to be preventing Coronavirus.    Add in the other news about a "cure" using Malaria drugs and there may be something here.

----------

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12YDytbAsZaruGlhFO7eTTgxSH_BuxJtwFmbhqpkPPSk/mobilebasic

Potential Link between Anti Malaria Prophylaxis and the Prevention of COVID-19 Infection

Irene Guerrini1 2 and Modupe Oshadiya =2 1South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, London, UK and 2Kings College, London, UK. Address correspondence to Irene Guerrini - E-mail: [email protected]

We suggest a potential link between anti-malaria prophylaxis and the prevention of the novel COVID-19 infection, supported by a known pharmacological mechanism.

We looked at the worldwide distribution of malaria and of the COVID-19 infection. Maps below (Fig. 1) offer the tantalising suggestion of a geographical separation, with countries affected by malaria mostly being clear of COVID-19 (blue=death rate of more than 0.1 malaria deaths per million inhabitants), and vice-versa countries that have suffered COVID-19 mostly being also where malaria is not active (orange=death rate of more than 0.1 COVID-19 deaths per million inhabitants).

HSLtChxT_lk8akpJWpqQaAWja4UIAF3pyHmAj_rU

Figure 1 - Blue/Yellow countries where respectively Malaria (top) and COVID-19 (bottom) have caused more than 0.1 deaths per million inhabitants (sources: Ourworldindata.org (Malaria) and Worldofmeters.info (COVID-19), 14 March 2020)

Assuming that malaria prophylaxis be active in the countries affected by it (i.e. with a larger death rate), this would show that it inversely correlates with the number of COVID 19 deaths. In other words, there is a clear basis for our group to hypothesise a potential link between anti malaria prophylaxis and the prevention of the novel coronavirus infection.

We propose the following underlying reason: chloroquine and its analogues are an effective preventive treatment for malaria, and it is widely used for prophylactic purposes mainly in the sub-Saharan zones. As Vincent and co-workers (2005) indicated, chloroquine seems to have a strong antiviral effect on SARS-CoV in an in vitro primate cells study. Several trials conducted in China on the Covid-19 have also showed that chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine improved the symptomatology and the outcome of the infection (Todaro & Rigano, 2020); Touret & De Lamballerie, 2020; Yao X et al. 2020; Wang M et al. 2020). Wang and co-workers (2020) suggest chloroquine “should be assessed in human patients suffering from the novel coronavirus disease”.

Vincent and co-workers (2005) postulated that chloroquine interferes with terminal glycosylation of the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2, the cellular receptor of the SARS-CoV, and suggested the potential use of chloroquine as a prophylactic and therapeutic pharmacological intervention in humans. Todaro & Rigano (2020) also write that “In the case of chloroquine treatment prior to infection, the impairment of terminal glycosylation of ACE2 may result in reduced binding affinities between ACE2 and SARS-CoV spike protein and negatively influence the initiation of SARS-CoV infection”.

The above is compatible with a geographical distribution with a pattern similar to what shown in Figure 1: areas with anti-malarial prophylaxis would be naturally protected

We would like to encourage the scientific community to further investigate the use of chloroquine-based medications as a preventative intervention to halt the spread of the COVID-19 infection, and the possibility of massive prevention/early intervention campaign with wide distribution of chloroquine to those at risk of infection, or already infected.

This analysis has several biases which might justify the regional differences, data reporting systems, biological and environmental factors.

We would like to thank Maurizio Morabito of Omnologos Ltd for helping with the data visualisation.

REFERENCES

Wang, M., Cao, R., Zhang, L. et al. Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro. Cell Res 30, 269–271 (2020).

Vincent MJ, Bergeron E., Benjannet S. et al. Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus

infection and spread. Virol J. 2005;2:69

Yao X, Ye F, Zhang et al., In vitro Antiviral Activity of Optimized Dosing design of Hydroxychloroquine

for the treatment of severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Clin Infect Dis.

2020 Mar 9

Todaro James M, Rigano Gregory J, An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19) published via Google drive on https://bit.ly/38Y1liv (March 13, 2020)

Touret F, De Lamballerie X. Of Chloroquine and COVID-19. Antiviral Res. Vo. 177. May 2020, 104762

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Anti-Malaria drugs seem to be preventing Coronavirus.    Add in the other news about a "cure" using Malaria drugs and there may be something here.

So, should we stock up on tonic water?

4 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Don't be surprised if there's a run on that stuff.   You'd need to drink A LOT of it to get the same dose.  Gallons.

You'd never get the same dose.  There is no chloroquine in tonic water.   Quinine is a different molecule; no idea if it happens to have similar activity or not.

But yeah, there will probably be a run on tonic water...

My wife works for a large real estate firm in a large office building. A person who works on another floor than the one she works on tested positive. They shut her entire company down for 14 days with a work from home requirement for those that can. She has no symptoms.

I work in the public sector and felt I should tell my superiors just to be safe as we take care of critical infrastructure such as water and sewer. I am now off for 14 days and must get a Dr's note before I can return to work. I am showing no symptoms.

We are well stocked on all necessary supplies so we have no need to leave the house. We will both be paid so there is no financial hit for either of us. Just going to sit home maybe get to straighten up the basement and binge watch a bunch of shows.

• Like 1

Just now, 10X said:

You'd never get the same dose.  There is no chloroquine in tonic water.   Quinine is a different molecule; no idea if it happens to have similar activity or not.

But yeah, there will probably be a run on tonic water...

I am not a virologist.  I only listened to the worlds top virologist and his speculation is that hyrdochloroquine changes the PH balance of the cells replicating the virus and that is how it stops reproducing.   IF and it's a big IF the mechanism is the same for quinine, then there might be something to it.  I dunno, not a virologist, biologist or any other ist.  I'm an eer not an ist :)

12 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Don't be surprised if there's a run on that stuff.   You'd need to drink A LOT of it to get the same dose.  Gallons.

Damn... I'll have to give up beer... :nea:

Trump just said, during his briefing, they were trying to get that anti-malaria drug out as soon as they could.

12 minutes ago, Malsua said:

IF and it's a big IF the mechanism is the same for quinine, then there might be something to it.  I dunno, not a virologist, biologist or any other ist.  I'm an eer not an ist :)

Just saw this about that treatment:

...."In a study published Wednesday by French physician-researchers, a total of 36 patients (20 who were treated with chloroqine and 16 controls who were not) revealed that 50% of the treated group turned from positive to negative on the third day - which grew to 70% by the sixth day.

Six test patients were treated with both chloroquine and Z-pak, and all six tested negative for coronavirus on day six.

"Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin," the study concludes.

So, they say by day 6, they test negative. I'm wondering, since many who test positive have minor symptoms, how many just burn through the virus, with their immune systems, in those 6 days?

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

Just saw this about that treatment:

...."In a study published Wednesday by French physician-researchers, a total of 36 patients (20 who were treated with chloroqine and 16 controls who were not) revealed that 50% of the treated group turned from positive to negative on the third day - which grew to 70% by the sixth day.

Six test patients were treated with both chloroquine and Z-pak, and all six tested negative for coronavirus on day six.

"Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin," the study concludes.

So, they say by day 6, they test negative. I'm wondering, since many who test positive have minor symptoms, how many just burn through the virus, with their immune systems, in those 6 days?

The video I linked above says that the normal course of infection is 20 days.

24 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I am not a virologist.  I only listened to the worlds top virologist and his speculation is that hyrdochloroquine changes the PH balance of the cells replicating the virus and that is how it stops reproducing.   IF and it's a big IF the mechanism is the same for quinine, then there might be something to it.  I dunno, not a virologist, biologist or any other ist.  I'm an eer not an ist :)

That's not what the second article you posted said..

" postulated that chloroquine interferes with terminal glycosylation of the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2, the cellular receptor of the SARS-CoV, "

What this means is it inhibits the ability of the virus to interact with cell surface receptors to infect new host cells.

To me, that description is a direct relation between the drug and a single protein on host cells not being gylcosylated, so its essentially missing its tag the virus attaches to. I doubt pH is the sole reason for this if such a specific response since all proteins are pH senstive. 

5 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Interesting about the ACE receptor. They say people with hypertension are high risk. Maybe it is because they take ACE inhibitors.

from wikipedia

"ACE2 is not sensitive to the ACE inhibitor drugs used to treat hypertension"

7 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

That's not what the second article you posted said..

" postulated that chloroquine interferes with terminal glycosylation of the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2, the cellular receptor of the SARS-CoV, "

What this means is it inhibits the ability of the virus to interact with cell surface receptors to infect new host cells.

To me, that description is a direct relation between the drug and a single protein on host cells not being gylcosylated, so its essentially missing its tag the virus attaches to. I doubt pH is the sole reason for this if such a specific response since all proteins are pH senstive. 

Look at the Video I posted above.  He's the one that says it.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Look at the Video I posted above.  He's the one that says it.  

Sorry with my background that Video was just way to "simple" and made no sense to me.. I look at how the drug actually works:

Pharmacodynamics[edit]

Antimalarials are lipophilic weak bases and easily pass plasma membranes. The free base form accumulates in lysosomes (acidic cytoplasmic vesicles) and is then protonated,[21] resulting in concentrations within lysosomes up to 1000 times higher than in culture media. This increases the pH of the lysosome from 4 to 6.[22] Alteration in pH causes inhibition of lysosomal acidic proteases causing a diminished proteolysis effect.[23] Higher pH within lysosomes causes decreased intracellular processing, glycosylation and secretion of proteins with many immunologic and nonimmunologic consequences.

So it's a localized pH change to cellular lysosomes, which makes MUCH more sense to me now..

This is incredibly promising!!!

And THANKS for the info!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Sorry with my background that Video was just way to "simple" and made no sense to me.. I look at how the drug actually works:

Pharmacodynamics[edit]

Antimalarials are lipophilic weak bases and easily pass plasma membranes. The free base form accumulates in lysosomes (acidic cytoplasmic vesicles) and is then protonated,[21] resulting in concentrations within lysosomes up to 1000 times higher than in culture media. This increases the pH of the lysosome from 4 to 6.[22] Alteration in pH causes inhibition of lysosomal acidic proteases causing a diminished proteolysis effect.[23] Higher pH within lysosomes causes decreased intracellular processing, glycosylation and secretion of proteins with many immunologic and nonimmunologic consequences.

This is incredibly promising!!!

Didier Raoult was probably dumbing it down.  Shrug.  He's the smart one.  It was hard to understand but I listened hard that's what he said. 

"Shown to be acting on the vacuole in which microbes are multiplying within the cell and it's lowering the acidity that some of the microbes love in cells"

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

Didier Raoult was probably dumbing it down.  Shrug.  He's the smart one.  It was hard to understand but I listened hard that's what he said. 

"Shown to be acting on the vacuole in which microbes are multiplying within the cell and it's lowering the acidity that some of the microbes love in cells"

I think its just the way he is trying to describe it. 

Comparing the effects of say Malaria vs CoVid19. The drug disrupts the ability of cells to digest certain materials, interfering with environmental conditions. In one case you have a direct effect, such as malaria. The drug also accumulates in the protozoa cells themselves, interfering with the pathogen directly. 

With CoVid 19, it sounds like if im gathering this info correctly the effects are secondary. Cells loose the ability to process the carbohydrate that is attached to cell surface receptors of host target cells. This mean after a few days  healthy cells and new cells will loose the tag the virus needs to enter. The drug doesn't disrupt the virus itself, it denies it new host cells to infect.

• Informative 1

21 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

You quarantined yourself?  ......  :)

I was unfortunately within 6 feet of a coworker when he let loose an uncovered cough. His test results came back positive, so now I'm quarantined for 2 weeks. My wife is hanging onto her sanity trying to work from home and attend to our 18 month old and 5 yr old. She won't let me anywhere near the kids so I'm hoping she has a greater appreciation for how I contribute after this is over. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I was unfortunately within 6 feet of a coworker when he let loose an uncovered cough. His test results came back positive, so now I'm quarantined for 2 weeks. My wife is hanging onto her sanity trying to work from home and attend to our 18 month old and 5 yr old. She won't let me anywhere near the kids so I'm hoping she has a greater appreciation for how I contribute after this is over. 

Well you are going to be fine !  I have no doubt - be safe and take care of yourself and please keep us updated....no matter how dysfunctional we are a family

Just now, ChrisJM981 said:

Ask your Doctor for some Hydrochloroquine ( Aralen ) as  profalaxsys.   Tell him you've got an upcoming trip to the Democratic Republic of the Congo and want a preventative. ;)

• Informative 1

44 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

That sucks bro

56 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Fuck...  When you get back to work, belt the idiot.

57 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Fer a few minutes at least, as she foists the kids off on you and runs out the house :)

Well, I am calling it now, it's all over but the scumminess of the Democrats by 15 April. Everyone back to work and school, toilet paper on sale, pent up demand released and bars/restaurants/hotels/airlines recovering. Won't stop them from asking for a gov't bailout (and maybe getting one). Libs will blame Trump for the CV panic ending TOO SOON.

Memorial Day will be the biggest most festive and drunken one in years.

These are my predictions and I am ALMOST ALWAYS RIGHT!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Haha 1