gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

7 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

In retrospect, these pop up testing centers should have been created over a month ago...  as cases started to be confirmed In these now hot spots..I dont think we ever had a chance to contain this with how long it spread before anyone knew... and I'm surprised this wasn't realized by our highest officials.

Bergen community college, PNC... they haven't even been running a few days and shut down after 2 hours of opening.. the bergen testing center shut down before it even opened today.

It's  pointless now with everyone quarantined anyway... it is of little use to the general public..

It's amazing to me, to read stories of many people across the country looking to get tested early on, and being walked in circles by the professionals who have no idea what to do... when developing countries have already figured that part out.. I'm left with a few questions... Did the current admin actually think they were going to contain this? and how did they think that was going to happen by doing little to nothing domestically?

If people didn't think covid19 was around them or had no way to find out if they have it if their own symptoms are mild, they would go to work sick because they need money.. everyone here has probably gone to work sick at one point in their life. Sick parents send their kids too schools...etc..

I was told to stay home for 14 days because someone who works on another floor in my wife's company tested positive.  I cannot return to work without a Dr's note. 

How does one get the all clear from their Dr you ask? I have to take my temperature twice a day and write down the results. I bring te results into the Dr and he will give me a note with an all clear. Yup no chance for fudging the numbers there, not that I would but you get the idea.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, brucin said:

I was told to stay home for 14 days because someone who works on another floor in my wife's company tested positive.  I cannot return to work without a Dr's note. 

How does one get the all clear from their Dr you ask? I have to take my temperature twice a day and write down the results. I bring te results into the Dr and he will give me a note with an all clear. Yup no chance for fudging the numbers there, not that I would but you get the idea.

Alternative... you ask? 

The Chinese placed alarm systems on your apartment door, checked ur temp until it was time to take it off.. 

A woman in newark tested positive, think they had a huge manhunt for her when they figured out she gave a false name..

Freedom unfortunately has it's own set of consequences.

3 hours ago, PeteF said:

I disagree.  The rate of DETECTION is growing exponentially not the rate of infection.  Test 5 people 1 turns up with it.  Test 5000000, 1000000 turn up with it.  The rate hasn't changed at all.  Now anyone with the sniffles goes and gets tested.  (See drive thru running out of test kits in 3 hours)

And still is no where near seasonal flu in cases, and fatalities.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

38-54 MILLION cases in US,  23-59 THOUSAND deaths. 

Oh and these numbers are from only the last 6 months.

The sky is not falling.

How many deaths per day does NY state get from Flu? 

Need some math, I guess.

19,000,000 population.   As a percentage of 350,000,000 that's 0.0542857142857143

0.0542857142857143 x 40,000 = 2,171.42  = NY percentage of total flu deaths this year to date.

It is generally assumed to start in October.  Roughly 6 months ago or 180 days.

This means, on average, NY loses 12 people per day to Flu.

In the last day they had 43 deaths to Covid 19.  

How many deaths per day does there need to be before you don't consider this the flu?  Just curious.

It's still not a big number yet and no, I'm not panicking.  It will be a really big number if the field hospitals and service ships fill up and overwhelm the system.  That's when the real death rate will hit.   Hopefully they've got enough beds in route.

Hopefulyl the Hydrochloroqine + Zpack knocks this down, then it all ends up as nothing.

So they are releasing prisoners from county jails. 

But there will be consequences for violating the lock down. What will they do? Send you to jail and then let you right back out? Fucking geniuses. 

• Agree 1
  • Crazy 1

30 minutes ago, Malsua said:

How many deaths per day does NY state get from Flu? 

Need some math, I guess.

19,000,000 population.   As a percentage of 350,000,000 that's 0.0542857142857143

0.0542857142857143 x 40,000 = 2,171.42  = NY percentage of total flu deaths this year to date.

It is generally assumed to start in October.  Roughly 6 months ago or 180 days.

This means, on average, NY loses 12 people per day to Flu.

In the last day they had 43 deaths to Covid 19.  

How many deaths per day does there need to be before you don't consider this the flu?  Just curious.

It's still not a big number yet and no, I'm not panicking.  It will be a really big number if the field hospitals and service ships fill up and overwhelm the system.  That's when the real death rate will hit.   Hopefully they've got enough beds in route.

Hopefulyl the Hydrochloroqine + Zpack knocks this down, then it all ends up as nothing.

The entire worlds death due to this approx equal 1/6 the flu deaths in  the US.   The number of cases in the world is ~1/100 of the flu cases in the US.  But somehow the death count due to Corona in the US will somehow grow to 5x the worlds number?  Extremely unlikely

This crap did not start a week ago.  It started last year.  But no one was testing for it.   

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Zeke said:

It’s an interesting thought experiment.. I think based on the science we should do some things. It goes back to personal responsibility. 
would I have a party with 20 people currently? No it seems a foolish enterprise to entertain.  Am I going to travel to ck on people, yes. Can I do it after 8 pm? Why not.

am I going to congregate with others at a bar or restaurant? No. That seems foolish as well.

Werd.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeteF said:

The entire worlds death due to this approx equal 1/6 the flu deaths in  the US.   The number of cases in the world is ~1/100 of the flu cases in the US.  But somehow the death count due to Corona in the US will somehow grow to 5x the worlds number?  Extremely unlikely

This crap did not start a week ago.  It started last year.  But no one was testing for it.   

Faulty for few reasons.

1.  Lieing Commie Chinese bastards.  Nobody knows for sure how many died there.  You going to trust them to tell us the truth?

2. It's just getting started in the US.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong but this is just the start.  I don't think we are near the peak yet.  Again, REALLY hope I'm wrong.

2.  It's just starting in places like England and Australia.  Aussie isn't as densely populated as England.  I spoke to a co-worker in London today.  He mentioned how the weather was nice and lots of people there were heading to the beaches.  He has asthma and is taking it very seriously.  Sounds like many aren't. 

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

Last night i was chatting with my godfather  in Serbia who`s father in law got infected. Both are MD`s. 

The father in law went to a medical lecture with his staff where the speaker was from Italy and himself and 10 of the staff got infected with corona.  Up until 4 days ago they were all treated with Aluvia (made by Abbott for HIV) and that didnt help any. They got switched to the Hydrochloroquine+Zpack 4 days ago and there s been a considerable change for the better in their condition. They are still under treatment but since the switch in therapy was made their condition and thus prognosis is improving. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, Damjan said:

Last night i was chatting with my godfather  in Serbia who`s father in law got infected. Both are MD`s. 

The father in law went to a medical lecture with his staff where the speaker was from Italy and himself and 10 of the staff got infected with corona.  Up until 4 days ago they were all treated with Aluvia (made by Abbott for HIV) and that didnt help any. They got switched to the Hydrochloroquine+Zpack 4 days ago and there s been a considerable change for the better in their condition. They are still under treatment but since the switch in therapy was made their condition and thus prognosis is improving. 

That's awesome.  I suspect this is going to be the result for anyone who isn't contra-indicated for these drugs.  

Remdesivir is an alternative in those cases.  It seems to work as well.

43 minutes ago, Damjan said:

That’s great news.  There are numerous reports of the use of those two drugs with the same positive result.

Meanwhile.... Dems are blocking a bill that will help a huge amount of people so they can include ...Ballot Harvesting....Fuel Efficiency rules for airlines.....Collective Bargaining rules for fed employees.....Diversity requirements for hires to the Fed Pandemic teams....and it gets worse if you read the rest of it. Piles of crap that have nothing to do with responding to the economic and health crisis in front of us.  I can’t say in this forum what I think about it.  I probably can’t say it anywhere.  They *$#*@#& disgust me.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

That’s great news.  There are numerous reports of the use of those two drugs with the same positive result.

Meanwhile.... Dems are blocking a bill that will help a huge amount of people so they can include ...Ballot Harvesting....Fuel Efficiency rules for airlines.....Collective Bargaining rules for fed employees.....Diversity requirements for hires to the Fed Pandemic teams....and it gets worse if you read the rest of it. Piles of crap that have nothing to do with responding to the economic and health crisis in front of us.  I can’t say in this forum what I think about.  I probably can’t say it anywhere.  They *$#*@#& disgust me.

Werd

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Faulty for few reasons.

1.  Lieing Commie Chinese bastards.  Nobody knows for sure how many died there.  You going to trust them to tell us the truth?

2. It's just getting started in the US.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong but this is just the start.  I don't think we are near the peak yet.  Again, REALLY hope I'm wrong.

2.  It's just starting in places like England and Australia.  Aussie isn't as densely populated as England.  I spoke to a co-worker in London today.  He mentioned how the weather was nice and lots of people there were heading to the beaches.  He has asthma and is taking it very seriously.  Sounds like many aren't. 

No it started last year.  They just didn't know how to test for it.  

See the many posts above about people  that had the symptoms, and thought it was regular old flu and dealt with it.  My friend was one of them in November of last year.

So even if China and the WHO are lying,  there would need to be over 200,000 dead Chinese just to equal a normal flu.

Normal US flu season, 50k dead, china 4x our population = 200k. Let not even mention sanitation, which would drive chinas number up even more.

Using the "sky is falling numbers", there would be ~2 million dead chinese.  I dont think they could cover that up.

So who benefits from this?  Follow the money and you'll know why this is happening

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

That is a statement fact. Not a partisan attack.

I agree with you, but someone around here doesn't. I believe factual political statements should be presented, if they relate to the thread, but apparently I'm a minority on that point too.

Let me clear this up... posts in public-facing forums are NOT supposed to be political. That's always been the rule. This is not a change. In times like this, with emotions running high, the blame game starts - and everyone starts politicizing these issues - making it far more time-consuming for moderators to keep up with "housekeeping" on these threads. You all realize moderators do this voluntarily, correct? And that any time spent "cleaning up" posts is time moderators don't spend doing their OWN things (work, family, etc.)?  

Now, I always do my best to try to "hide" overtly political or inappropriate posts, but again... it's getting difficult lately with some of you in such a "COVID-19 frenzy". I may just have to move some of these threads into the 1A Lounge, as a matter of simple practicality.

On a final note... I've been exceedingly, perhaps even overly patient in providing this explanation. But, now I'm done. Any more pushback, snide comments, or other peanut gallery B.S.... one or more posters will end up in a time out. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Malsua said:

Putting my money on this to win place or show.  Sometimes the best solution is actually simple and inexpensive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/23/2020 at 9:42 PM, Damjan said:

A few of the medcram episodes have talked about clinical trials for Aluvia not promising, but the RDRP inhibitors like Hydrocloroquine+zpacks being statistically effective.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:57 PM, PeteF said:

Normal US flu season, 50k dead

You do realize that if you are old, ill and have co-morbidities for bunch of things, get the flu and die, it's coded as a flu death?

I've been asking around, see who knows ANYONE who's died of the flu.   We have 40k+ per year, it ought to be someone?

I got one.  My co-worker's father.  Death recorded as Flu.      Strange really.  He had late stage 4 pancreatic cancer, copd and dementia.   Coded as Flu.

So I looked into it a bit more and epidemiologists have been complaining about this FOR YEARS.   It exaggerates the number of flu deaths by a HUGE margin.

Here's just one article.  You can read about it until the cows come home.  Annual deaths directly attributable to Flu are generally under 1000.  Most deaths are opportunistic pneumonias, that can be triggered by any number of co-morbidities including CHF, hypertension and more.  If they test positive for flu?  Flu death. 

https://aspe.hhs.gov/cdc-—-influenza-deaths-request-correction-rfc

8 minutes ago, Malsua said:

You do realize that if you are old, ill and have co-morbidities for bunch of things, get the flu and die, it's coded as a flu death?

Check out that link in the WuFlu flu thread that Tex just reposted. Some really interesting data.

Here it is, EVERYONE should read it, updates are on the bottom:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I've been asking around, see who knows ANYONE who's died of the flu.   We have 40k+ per year, it ought to be someone?

I got one.  My co-worker's father.  Death recorded as Flu.      Strange really.  He had late stage 4 pancreatic cancer, copd and dementia.   Coded as Flu.

So I looked into it a bit more and epidemiologists have been complaining about this FOR YEARS.   It exaggerates the number of flu deaths by a HUGE margin.

Here's just one article.  You can read about it until the cows come home.  Annual deaths directly attributable to Flu are generally under 1000.  Most deaths are opportunistic pneumonias, that can be triggered by any number of co-morbidities including CHF, hypertension and more.  If they test positive for flu?  Flu death. 

Using that same logic...  few die of covid-19.

They die of....

Cancer, COPD, asthma, diabetes, heart disease.

Correct?

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Malsua said:

You mean like the guy that died from corona,  because he had 2 heart attacks while being treated?  

Or the 85 yo with emphasyma .  Yep another corona death.

• Like 1