gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

17 minutes ago, brucin said:

2 guys in a golf cart not OK. 5 landscapers in a pickup cab OK. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm for $500 Al;ex.

Golfers can walk the course or go one to a cart.

funny you mention that. my neighbor is getting his kitchen remodeled. at one time there were at least 6 of them standing out there planning their next move

I give Murphy some credit, I think hes handling this well. Don't agree with any of his other policies but he is taking the situation seriously and doing what needs to be done to keep people alive. What scares me is the staggering number of police officers, EMS and firefighters that have either contracted this disease or are in self quarantine. I have heard numbers as high as 5000 in NYC and over 2400 in NJ that are either infected or suspected to be infected and have to be taken off duty. People have looted and rioted in catastrophes that have lasted only days, imagine what would happen if this lasted into the summer. I think your talking complete social and economic breakdown in some parts.

What happens next if it does get that far? Marshal law? Suspending peoples civil rights to protect areas? What would that even look like? I've heard of 3 leaders in other countries, Russia, China and Hungary that have made emergency declarations open ended and suspended elections as a result. Effectively making themselves indefinite rulers. Could that happen here? So many scary unanswered questions.

4 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

I give Murphy some credit, I think hes handling this well. Don't agree with any of his other policies but he is taking the situation seriously and doing what needs to be done to keep people alive. What scares me is the staggering number of police officers, EMS and firefighters that have either contracted this disease or are in self quarantine. I have heard numbers as high as 5000 in NYC and over 2400 in NJ that are either infected or suspected to be infected and have to be taken off duty. People have looted and rioted in catastrophes that have lasted only days, imagine what would happen if this lasted into the summer. I think your talking complete social and economic breakdown in some parts.

What happens next if it does get that far? Marshal law? Suspending peoples civil rights to protect areas? What would that even look like? I've heard of 3 leaders in other countries, Russia, China and Hungary that have made emergency declarations open ended and suspended elections as a result. Effectively making themselves indefinite rulers. Could that happen here? So many scary unanswered questions.

Don't be a fearmonger.

Yes, there will be blows to the economy.  This is mitigated somewhat by the fact that we went into this with a very good economy.

Mass looting?  You have to realize that most looters are not armed.  When one gets shot the rest disperse.

This is America.  Don't compare it to Russia, China, or Hungary.

Many unanswered questions but things can be dealt with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Don't be a fearmonger.

Yes, there will be blows to the economy.  This is mitigated somewhat by the fact that we went into this with a very good economy.

Mass looting?  You have to realize that most looters are not armed.  When one gets shot the rest disperse.

Well my hope is that we get this straightened out over the next few weeks, im going stir crazy sitting in the house. lol

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Don't be a fearmonger.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This - 

@Spawne32There is a time for war gaming the what if's - and there are always what if's - and you know what - I hope to practice what I preach more, but, " worry is interest on debt you may never owe "

Considering all that has been presented to us, I think we are all handling this quite well.  There are always the 'one off's' - 

Truth be told I have not been sleeping so well lately, but I took some advice from my daughter, write down what is concerning me, compartmentalize it and adjust what you can control to mitigate that concern.

I'll help you and me:

What is buggin you?  Make a list !

Food = Check: we have no less than 12 weeks of food for 5 adults and we do not have to go out if we have to in the coming month.  So far all places by us are overstocked., yes overstocked it seems.

TP =  Check: Yes, we have more than enough and we didn't panic hoard, just always buy sales  :) 

Disinfectants = Check: We prepared accordingly

Defense = Big Check:  This is not going to be the walking dead and is not a lights out event - aren't we always ready for self D at home anyways?

Work/Money = Check:  I am in construction engineering low voltage technology - My office is in Manhattan, haven't been there in over 20days.  Working remote, as most of my type are with architects and developers etc.  But, jobs are going on hold, not dead, hold.  We took a across the board pay cut company wide, it hurts but we can survive.  Will we be furloughed?  Who knows?  But luckily we live well within our means, we have savings and in speaking with my accountant if I need to take a chunk to float till we get back online, we can do that.

Health Physical = Check !  We are exercising as we always do, we are eating healthy, we are distancing, we are soaking up Vitamin D when we can (c'mon sunshine) .  Hope to get a LOT of yard work done this weekend

Global/regional/local Situation:  Guess what, you cant fix it, you cant control it, some things are 100% out of your hands, but you can help it.  Do what you know to be right, do that social distance thing.  Do not feed into negativity, do not let this enemy win.  Care for yourself, family, neighbors.  Do wellness check calls, lift someones spirits up.  if you cannot be your own rock, try to be their rock !  Try to be the sound of comfort, assurance, and let them know you are their for them to listen to them, assuage their fears.  Be compassionate.  There are many people way smarter than any of us working this problem, trust in them.  There are many people that are very courageous that are not shirking their duties, believe in them.  There are many people that are venturing out everyday, to keep us going, honor them.  Support them, pray for them - and when this is all done - and it will be done.  We need not forget how hard it was to be apart and how we should be better to our fellow human.

Mental Health = HUGE CHECK FOR ME !  I also refused to look at my phone after dinner last night, I stopped my consumption of fear and watched Disney shorts with my wife and 23yr old daughter !  AWESOME !

I also got in bed early though, and read, finally read for pleasure - that Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys, what a bunch of brawlers !  Went to sleep about 930 and no weird dreams, no anxiousness, no concern - nothing that disturbed precious sleep till 6am.  

You go this - stop playing mental trapeze with emotions and worries, be in the moment, and be grateful that you opened your eyes this AM - not because of the virus, but because life *is* that precious that many many just by the fact of living, lose that opportunity each day.  

Hope this helps - it helped me.  :)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

ami the only one that thinks murphy is well beyond his authority in what he's doing?

Uh, they confiscated firearms in new Orleans after Katrina. Rounded up people via the nat gaurd...

I may not agree with his overreach of shutting down everything.. but I dont think hes over stepped the powers of a SOE, yet.

There has been no precedent on how our rights are maintained during these times.. a lot of language in case law weighs the burden of an individual vs the general public. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

… just read this....I dunno.

"Coronavirus could travel 27 feet, stay in air for hours: MIT researcher"

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/corona...it-researcher/

I read it, too. And nothing pisses me off more when a "scientist" makes a claim and doesnt reference the study or research they conducted. 

When and how was this "27 foot" number calculated?

Was it a projectile uncovered sneeze? 

I can spit further than 6 feet, does that mean the 6 foot rule is not enough? 

A lot of would be scientists are coming out the woodwork looking for recognition.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Uh, they confiscated firearms in new Orleans after Katrina. Rounded up people via the nat gaurd...

I may not agree with his overreach of shutting down everything.. but I dont think hes over stepped the powers of a SOE, yet.

There has been no precedent on how our rights are maintained during these times.. a lot of language in case law weighs the burden of an individual vs the general public. 

This is the conundrum. But it’s also a slippery slope. If all rights stripped keeps us safer, why have any rights?.  RI just reinstalled it’s EO to anyone entering must quarantine for 14 days. Other states are following suit. 

The good of the many vs the one is the lib argument to disarm us all

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

This is the conundrum. But it’s also a slippery slope. If all rights stripped keeps us safer, why have any rights?.  RI just reinstalled it’s EO to anyone entering must quarantine for 14 days. Other states are following suit. 

The good of the many vs the one is the lib argument to disarm us all

Can anyone explain to me how drawing this out to maximize the number of people exposed and re-exposed and re-exposed again, is for the benefit of the many?  How many times will you need to self quarantine because someone where you work, shop, exercise etc now has a case?  Please do tell what is the exit plan? How those that are "at risk" eventually go shopping again?  See their grand-kids?  etc etc etc.

Making people introverted, people interaction fearing hermits.  Yeah that's a proven winner.

Anyone have a number of people that died because they did not have a respirator?   No I didn't think so.   How about Cuomo's stockpile of unused respirators?

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

• Agree 1

So one of my sons has had the virus now 12 days.....he's allergic to penicillin to he's been treated with a "Z" Pak and Doxicycline  also when he first asked the Doc if he should go and be tested, the answer was......why would you want to go and maybe take a chance of being exposed to something else there......Hmmmm.

23 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

So one of my sons has had the virus now 12 days.....he's allergic to penicillin to he's been treated with a "Z" Pak and Doxicycline  also when he first asked the Doc if he should go and be tested, the answer was......why would you want to go and maybe take a chance of being exposed to something else there......Hmmmm.

Z-Pak is being used to prevent secondary infections of the lungs by bacteria. It has very little to do with the virus itself, same with Doxycycline. Neither of these drugs are being used to treat his condition, and thus will have little impact on him getting better. However, these drugs allow his immune system to focus on eliminating a single threat(virus) instead of multiple..

Many respiratory viral infections becomes complicated over time with bacterial infections as the tissue becomes compromised. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

… just read this....I dunno.

Schrödinger's virus.  It's only airborn if you observe it.

I read a couple articles on this yesterday.  It's BS.  Seems to me someone is speculating, not scienceing and hoping on making a name for themselves if right and lost in the sauce if wrong.

56 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Let me ask a question and I'm assuming you are quarantine since you were exposed. How differently would you act after knowing for sure you had the virus?

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

I think if we go back in history, quarantine was not uncommon .

I think if we go back in history, people had genuine fear of disease and self quarantined out of common sense.  They wanted to live.

People from other towns would be shunned, business was done at the city limits as dead drops.  There was no going from town to town.  Not because the gov't disallowed it, it's because the people from a city would run the outsiders out of town.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

I think if we go back in history, people had genuine fear of disease and self quarantined out of common sense.  They wanted to live.

People from other towns would be shunned, business was done at the city limits as dead drops.  There was no going from town to town.  Not because the gov't disallowed it, it's because the people from a city would run the outsiders out of town.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/gunnison-colorado-the-town-that-dodged-the-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic

Many of the pics you see from 1918ish are similiar to what you see today - 

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

...But it’s also a slippery slope.....

"Those traveling on flights from the tristate area -- New York, New Jersey or Connecticut – as well as Louisiana, will be met by National Guard troops and public health officials at major Florida airports."

"DeSantis ordered highway checkpoints be set in place for traffic from Louisiana that enters the state on Interstate 10 and on Interstate 95, the route many people from the New York City area drive down south."

"People will be required to “self-declare” where they’re traveling from, and their names and addresses will be recorded, "

I saw another article which stated the cops were asking for proof of travel itinerary as well.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-coronavirus-border-checkpoints-nyc-louisiana-self-quarantine-60-days-jail

image.png.ee61bbcf22ef7f4dedb117a2d7c83bca.png

2 hours ago, WP22 said:

Let me ask a question and I'm assuming you are quarantine since you were exposed. How differently would you act after knowing for sure you had the virus?

I'm not quarantined unlike you are.....my son is 34 and married and taking the meds.

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Smert

8 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Z-Pak is being used to prevent secondary infections of the lungs by bacteria. It has very little to do with the virus itself, same with Doxycycline. Neither of these drugs are being used to treat his condition, and thus will have little impact on him getting better. However, these drugs allow his immune system to focus on eliminating a single threat(virus) instead of multiple..

Many respiratory viral infections becomes complicated over time with bacterial infections as the tissue becomes compromised. 

Thank you for beating me to the punch with this. As someone who is immuno-compromised himself, I know all too well the risks of secondary bacterial infection. People don't realize what this virus actually does. It causes your immune system to literally destroy your lungs as it attacks the virus where it resides (so far as it has been explained to me). When that happen it exposes you to infection from a whole host of other bacteria that are just naturally present around us that our nasal passages and lungs would otherwise filter out to various means or your immune system could deal with on a normal basis. Without an effective anti-viral agent, the best you can do is treat the symptoms and prevent secondary infection while your body deals with the virus. For some its worse than others, especially people who are older or already prone to illness. But people tend to attribute this virus to only affecting the elderly, which is a really bad philosophy to have. How many Americans are obese and can't get up a flight of steps without breathing heavy, how many are smokers or vapers? How many with high blood pressure or underlying heart disease? Those people may not realize it but they are high risk as well.

Ultimately the real problem I think is people being stupid. Were going on what now? 2 weeks of this "stay at home" order? People are already tired of it. I see roads down here in SJ that are packed with traffic. My buddy lives down near the shore and said he see's a ton of traffic with people trying to go to beaches or elsewhere. I get it, its inconvenient, annoying and for some problematic. But if you care about anyone other then yourself, or even if you only care about yourself, heed the warnings, stay home as much as possible. Don't wind up being a statistic. If people don't make the problem worse, I don't think the fear monger scenario I spoke of will even come close to playing out.

But in case people don't want to take it seriously, just have a look at some of the latest CDC statistics. https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

I was kind of surprised to see Trump visibly shaken at the press conference this afternoon over the reality of the situation. He mentioned how people kept calling it the flu, or just like the flu, and how people think its just over reaction, and I was surprised to hear him openly admit, this isn't the flu or anything like it, and emphasize the seriousness of it.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

IMO...….they know more than they're tellin' us.....naturally.

Just saw on NJ12......Cedar Grove NJ Ambulance Squad is "Standing Down" not responding to any emergency calls, I believe due to illness....

Pronouns usually suck - right - doesn't tell you much - 

Who is *they* - ?  In your opinion?

You believe they are standing down?  Citation for record?  Or just innuendo?

See in times like these FACTs matter most of all - not fear mongering, not 'my guess is', not 'I think' etc.

What I see based on FACTS:

*  is that a therapeutic *IS* working - the french study seems to have merit - more and more cases that have been prescribed the mix have had a complete turn around.

* NY NJ has been dealt a bad hand in this game and that the local health directors in GOV have failed miserably

* What I see is goodness in a LOT of people in my neck of the woods - more so than normal in terms of kindness and helping neighbors

FACT - now is not the place and time for out of the world post apocalyptic what if's - but i hear a bookstore in Saratoga Springs NY moved that genre to the current events section for levity....