gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

" Police in Newark, Orange, East Orange and Irvington will stop drivers to ask where they’re going. Drivers will face summonses if they are violating the governor’s order, which bans travel for all New Jersey residents except for necessary purposes "

Source: https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/cops-in-4-nj-cities-are-pulling-over-drivers-to-enforce-coronavirus-restrictions.html

20 minutes ago, kc17 said:

" Police in Newark, Orange, East Orange and Irvington will stop drivers to ask where they’re going. Drivers will face summonses if they are violating the governor’s order, which bans travel for all New Jersey residents except for necessary purposes "

Source: https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/cops-in-4-nj-cities-are-pulling-over-drivers-to-enforce-coronavirus-restrictions.html

Just keep a rake in your car.  Landscaping is exempt 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Just the tip. :/

Frankly you might need more than the tip of the iceberg ...

You need to clamp on this VERY tightly......

If you do not, situations can spiral out of control very quickly that can overwhlem and inundate a department...  i am not old enough to recall the Newark riots.... maybe someone should look it up and reflect.

Its a conundrum, balancing liberty and safety...and no one should quote franklin...it is not a valid quote and you need to read the letter and understand the context...NOT the 'soundbite'...

However, you probably will see the nat guard in a policing role, if other less intrusive protocols fail.

Both cuomo and murphy should be ashamed of themselves....  they are not leaders....

They shouldn't lie, but they should also not stoke desperation and fear.....because if they do so and the peace cannot be kept in the next 6 weeks...till numbers start dropping ....

You won't see just the tip....your gonna get the whole shaft to the base....in one sweeping moment.  

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

Solid plan. Let's disregard people's rights while simultaneously potentially exposing LEOs to covid. 

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

just-the-tip-meme-5.jpg?resize=568,335&s

The tip is the scary part - that's what gives you AIDS and syphillis and the like.

I was in Newark during the riots.....remember the tanks being transported on flatbed trailers passing me on Rt.1&9 and being stopped each morning having my car searched coming off the Rt.22 ramp on to Empire St. also, all the phone booths through the city smashed to get the coins out…Cops I knew were carrying multiple handguns and workin' around the clock..yup, it was real enough.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

You need to clamp on this VERY tightly......

If you do not, situations can spiral out of control very quickly that can overwhlem and inundate a department...  i am not old enough to recall the Newark riots.... maybe someone should look it up and reflect.

Its a conundrum, balancing liberty and safety...

Yeah, I'm torn on this issue! My civil liberties brain screams "hey, this is wrong!" - but I'm kind of with you on this one. My pragmatic side immediately noticed that the 4 cities reported in the article are among the most dangerous, crime-ridden and gang-infested cities in the entire state... look at the NJSP crime stats and them compare to population stats. I've done that and these 4 cities (along with 1-2 others in that area + Trenton and Camden) account for a ridiculously disproportionate percentage of the state's violent crime. Sooo, honestly... I really don't want the gangbangers from those cities piling into cars and jumping on 78West (towards my town)... or jumping onto the Parkway (and maybe heading towards your town), etc. Of course, I also don't want them preying on their own neighbors! Because there are decent people in EVERY city.

But, I've got to think that these police departments know their own cities... know exactly what they're dealing with... and they're trying to mitigate even bigger problems. 

• Like 1

Hasidics are an interesting group - and not the nicest

Situation Report - 

Franklin NJ - lots of masks now - lots of gloves now - Shoprite stocked to the hilt no want for anything at all

COSTCO Rockaway - same thing - fully 100% stocked with all paper products as well - no panic at all nice and friendly like...

I only got three minutes in, alarm bells went off almost immediately when he said he's quoting an anonymous source, and I stopped the playback when he said PCR is known to not work...(it works, it works well, and it's been working for 35 years).

Yes, there are multiple families of coronaviruses, but that's been known for decades.   Right now, there are believed to be 8 strains of the particular coronavirus that causes COVID19.  That might account for the highly variable symptoms infected people are experiencing, though that could still also be due to individual differences among the patients.   The highly encouraging news is that the 8 strains are very, very, similar to each other, which A), makes it more likely that a single vaccine will work against all, and B), makes it more likely that if the virus comes back each year, a one-time vaccination will continue to protect.

A) and B) aren't yet proven, of course, but what we know so far makes both seem likely.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

This happened yesterday in Lakewood. Cops had to call in backup units. This is going to be interesting.

https://www.nj.com/ocean/2020/04/100-year-old-man-among-15-people-charged-when-cops-break-up-funeral-in-lakewood.html

The most concerning thing in there isn’t the breakup of peaceful gathering. We all know that in other times this would go on without any outside influence.  And frankly, blatant disregard for the recommendations at this scale bothers me. One infected person in that group and you can be sure the 100yo amongst others, is done. 

Rather, it’s this:

“One man who refused to give police his correct name and Social Security number was arrested.“

this is probably the 7th or 8th breakup of a large event in the lakewood hasidic community since the outbreak. i have a friend who lives there who tells me there are literally dozens more that did NOT make the news. weddings, funerals, religious classes, etc. basically they're going about their business and don't care whatsoever about restrictions, edicts etc.

on the one hand, i'm right there with them, fk the man. it's a free society and i'll do what i want. on the other, come on guys, you should know better and self-police

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

this is probably the 7th or 8th breakup of a large event in the lakewood hasidic community since the outbreak. i have a friend who lives there who tells me there are literally dozens more that did NOT make the news. weddings, funerals, religious classes, etc. basically they're going about their business and don't care whatsoever about restrictions, edicts etc.

on the one hand, i'm right there with them, fk the man. it's a free society and i'll do what i want. on the other, come on guys, you should know better and self-police

The problem really becomes when children are there and elderly who are beyond knowing better. Kids have no say in being exposed and neither do the elderly who get dragged there by their kids. And then there's the people who go home from huge parties and gatherings that then go visit their parents that they didn't bring.

If it was only the the adults choosing to go out who were getting sick and dying, I'd be fine with that, but the virus isn't exactly choosy about who it infects a week later.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I only got three minutes in, alarm bells went off almost immediately

Mrs. Scorpio says the guy is wrong on several accounts.  Her area of immense expertise is in laboratory testing and compliance.  The guy simply does not understand what he's talking about, otherwise he'd know much of what he is saying can't be true.

I like to use this picture to put things into perspective, usually this is enough to scare people to stay home and you don't even need the fear of the virus.

zh6BHPc.jpg

Let's let our friend Samuel Jackson give everyone advice on what to do.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Mrs. Scorpio says the guy is wrong on several accounts.  Her area of immense expertise is in laboratory testing and compliance.  The guy simply does not understand what he's talking about, otherwise he'd know much of what he is saying can't be true.

OK, so let's cut to the chase. Is, for example, the new Abbott Laboratories quick test for Covid-19 specific to only Covid-19?

I have not heard specificity of virus tests discussed anywhere in public.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Is, for example, the new Abbott Laboratories quick test for Covid-19 specific to only Covid-19?

Soooo, I asked Mrs. Scorpio to explain the test to me in a way that I could, in turn, explain to y'all.  She handed me some package inserts from Abbott and Cepheid with big words and stuff.  I gave up after about two minutes and sat her down (actually, she practically pushed me out of my chair) to type out the following.

Mrs. Scorpio wrote:

The Abbott test is COVID-19 specific. It is designed to detect COVID-19 and only COVID-19.

It is designed to target and amplify a unique region of the viral RNA. It apparently does NOT have interference from other coronaviruses, such as SARS, MERS or other viruses that may have caused you to have a common cold 10 years ago. 

There are other tests becoming available that do a similar thing, take a piece of the RNA virus from COVID 19, copy it a bunch of times, then read the signal.  Again, supposedly, the only thing that SHOULD get copies are little pieces of COVID 19 RNA. 

Because these tests are being rushed out, they have NOT been approved by the FDA, however, the FDA feels they are good enough and has granted an EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) so that more testing can be done.   Unless companies provide the FDA with more data that make the FDA actually approve these tests, the EUA will go away once the epidemic is gone and the labs won't be able to continue doing these tests.

The other kind of test that is becoming available are what are called serology tests.  These are the tests that use a "drop of blood" as the politicians keep saying.  They do NOT measure the virus particles.  They measure the antibodies that a person makes to the virus once they have been exposed. 

The FDA has NOT, for the most part, granted EUA's for these serology tests but "is not discouraging their use".  The problem with these tests is that they are not specific enough to only be positive if the person has antibodies to COVID-19, and can test positive if you have antibodies to another coronavirus.  It will test "positive" if you had SARS, MERS or even a common cold 5 years ago.

The nice thing about some of the serology tests is that they can distinguish between IgM antibodies (those that are being made NOW) and IgG antibodies (those that were made a while ago and are what cause you to be "immune" to a disease).  So if someone is in the ICU and is on a ventilator and has IgM antibodies, it's probably likely that they are indeed infected with COVID 19. 

Package inserts for this kind of test specifically say there is interference from other kinds of corona virus and that you can't make a diagnosis based on the results.

Bottom line.... 

Serology tests are crap, they only detect antibodies. 

The PCR antigen test detects the RNA and is very reliable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Scorpio64! Your contribution to community health is noted.

I thought of deleting that video, but perhaps I'll leave it up to demonstrate that it's been refuted.

In light of this, I'll be watching for comments in the public airwaves about the specificity of tests. I think they should be pointing that out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

OK, so let's cut to the chase. Is, for example, the new Abbott Laboratories quick test for Covid-19 specific to only Covid-19?

I have not heard specificity of virus tests discussed anywhere in public.

Any PCR based test is specific to the genetics of what is being looked for. That goes for bacterial infections as well.

3 hours ago, Spawne32 said:

I like to use this picture to put things into perspective, usually this is enough to scare people

zh6BHPc.jpg

I just happen to have some test swabs here at home.  I went and swabbed my snot locker (I had no idea it went back that far) OMG, it was awful, I need a support hotline to call now.  Actually, it wasn't bad at all.  It tickled a bit, my left eye watered some. 

12 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I just happen to have some test swabs here at home.  I went and swabbed my snot locker (I had no idea it went back that far) OMG, it was awful, I need a support hotline to call now.  Actually, it wasn't bad at all.  It tickled a bit, my left eye watered some. 

I had my sinus and throat scoped once - granted it was numbed - it was funny to see how much can actually go up there !!

39 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Soooo, I asked Mrs. Scorpio to explain the test to me in a way that I could, in turn, explain to y'all.  She handed me some package inserts from Abbott and Cepheid with big words and stuff.  I gave up after about two minutes and sat her down (actually, she practically pushed me out of my chair) to type out the following.

Bottom line.... 

Serology tests are crap, they only detect antibodies. 

The PCR antigen test detects the RNA and is very reliable.

Ask her about this !

As once again that this surfaces in a positive light - 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-stephen-smith-on-effectiveness-of-hydroxychloroquine-with-coronavirus-symptoms-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-pandemic

There are more and more reports of beneficial use cases than not