gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

So the bombs are hitting close around me now.  ugh.

Co-worker's sister tested positive on Monday, he left Monday.  I don't really interact with him

Found out a co-worker's husband tested positive today.  I worked around her for about 2 minutes a yesterday.  ugh.

Co-worker that was laid off a month ago caught it.  She had a heart attack and is still in the Hospital, I don't think on vent, but I'm unsure.

Co-worker's mother in law got it at some point last week, tested 3 times, last test came back positive on Saturday, she was dead by Sunday afternoon.

WEEEEEE.  I'd rather be home away from these disease vectors but I'm essential. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Malsua said:

So the bombs are hitting close around me now.  ugh.

Co-worker's sister tested positive on Monday, he left Monday.  I don't really interact with him

Found out a co-worker's husband tested positive today.  I worked around her for about 2 minutes a yesterday.  ugh.

Co-worker that was laid off a month ago caught it.  She had a heart attack and is still in the Hospital, I don't think on vent, but I'm unsure.

Co-worker's mother in law got it at some point last week, tested 3 times, last test came back positive on Saturday, she was dead by Sunday afternoon.

WEEEEEE.  I'd rather be home away from these disease vectors but I'm essential. 

man that is one unlucky co-worker. don't stand next to him/her during a lightning storm

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WP22 said:

There will a fair percentage of them that won't have the funds to reopen. Restaurant margins are very thin.

I watch louis rossmann on youtube from time to time. It's incredible to hear some of the first hand accounts of what small businesses are going through to try to get help at all. These two are good to watch.

Wonderful.  The wife of a close friend at work tested positive.  Sheesh.  

She is a nurse, so her infection is understandable.

I feel like an Iron Maiden song coming on.    Run to the hills....of course I'm already there.  It's that I'm working in the petri dish of Bergen county.

• Like 1

Feel bad for you guys in Bergen. Were not that bad yet that im afraid to go outside. Doesn't look like that malaria drug will be any help either.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/491008-fauci-warns-theres-no-strong-evidence-anti-malaria-drug-works-on-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR14H7udg2gWaH_mUDQu-LIxTEgOODf7aDMYAZQ5g-IhWb5YOoCGDA85gJQ

9 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

Feel bad for you guys in Bergen. Were not that bad yet that im afraid to go outside. Doesn't look like that malaria drug will be any help either.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/491008-fauci-warns-theres-no-strong-evidence-anti-malaria-drug-works-on-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR14H7udg2gWaH_mUDQu-LIxTEgOODf7aDMYAZQ5g-IhWb5YOoCGDA85gJQ

I live in Sussex.  It's the fact that I travel into a hot zone.  ugh.

Thehill.com report contradicts a lot of other evidence to the contrary.  Fauci is a vaccine guy.   It's his bread and butter.  Therapies, specially cheap ones, don't pay the bills.  He's compromised.   Look at the rest of the world and how they are behaving.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Wonderful.  The wife of a close friend at work tested positive.  Sheesh.  

She is a nurse, so her infection is understandable.

I feel like an Iron Maiden song coming on.    Run to the hills....of course I'm already there.  It's that I'm working in the petri dish of Bergen county.

brother you need to stop going to bergen

56 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

Fauci is 100% incorrect - he is too much of a scientist to say that it does work  he needs his - "study"

52 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

Very disingenuous story. 

The data overwhelmingly supports its effectiveness.  

These dick bags think that without massive bloated studies results are meaningless.

But so far, all of the studies show a high level of statistical significance that the meds promote recovery, and they used sample sizes large enough to support it.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Fauci is a vaccine guy.   It's his bread and butter.  Therapies, specially cheap ones, don't pay the bills.  

Vaccines are cheap--and the margins are low for their producers.  

The various treatments being tested now are mostly off-patent, and are also cheap, and low margin.    

We need both.  I don't see market forces favoring one or the other.

I'm not surprised that the treatments in clinical trials and limited clinical use right now are showing mixed results--none of them were designed to fight this virus.  It's just a happy accident that antimalarials may have some activity against the virus.   If this coronavirus comes back year after year, I'd expect something much more effective will eventually be designed and patented and tested and approved.   But that won't happen for a couple of years, and those next-generation drugs won't be cheap.

So, we keep rooting for the cheap drugs being tested now to be useful, even if not as effective as we'd like.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

Vaccines are cheap--and the margins are low for their producers.  

The various treatments being tested now are mostly off-patent, and are also cheap, and low margin.    

We need both.  I don't see market forces favoring one or the other.

I'm not surprised that the treatments in clinical trials and limited clinical use right now are showing mixed results--none of them were designed to fight this virus.  It's just a happy accident that antimalarials may have some activity against the virus.   If this coronavirus comes back year after year, I'd expect something much more effective will eventually be designed and patented and tested and approved.   But that won't happen for a couple of years, and those next-generation drugs won't be cheap.

So, we keep rooting for the cheap drugs being tested now to be useful, even if not as effective as we'd like.

You're seeing mixed results in certain studies because none of them were replicates. 

They are done in different countries, under different conditions, different medications were paired, at different doses for more or less periods of time.

10 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

You're seeing mixed results in certain studies because none of them were replicates. 

They are done in different countries, under different conditions, different medications were paired, at different doses for more or less periods of time.

Yep, that is certainly a big contributor to the confusion.

53 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Very disingenuous story. 

The data overwhelmingly supports its effectiveness.  

These dick bags think that without massive bloated studies results are meaningless.

But so far, all of the studies show a high level of statistical significance that the meds promote recovery, and they used sample sizes large enough to support it.

What "data" overwhelmingly supports its effectiveness? The only data I have seen overwhelmingly doesn't support it and is totally inconclusive. You can't test 28 people and suddenly claim its a miracle drug. Where do these conspiracy theories come from that Fauci is pro-vaccination because hes in bed with big pharma?

16 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

What "data" overwhelmingly supports its effectiveness? The only data I have seen overwhelmingly doesn't support it and is totally inconclusive. You can't test 28 people and suddenly claim its a miracle drug. Where do these conspiracy theories come from that Fauci is pro-vaccination because hes in bed with big pharma?

Do you know how many times you have to flip a coin before you determine the bias of one side vs the other?

Just now, JackDaWack said:

Do you know how many times you have to flip a coin before you determine the bias of one side vs the other?

I'm not sure your meaning? All I'm asking for is what data shows this and where people are coming up with this idea that Fauci is hiding it?

12 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

I'm not sure your meaning? All I'm asking for is what data shows this and where people are coming up with this idea that Fauci is hiding it?

How can I give you data if you dont have way to determine its significance? What is an appropriate minimum sample size ?

Keep in mind, the FDA wouldnt have provided emergency approval for treatment if there wasn't a significance in the information they are receiving all around the world with people using it off label

Fauci... not sure what his end game is here. Playing it safe most likely. However, these are the people that want to see billions of dollars poured into our research capabilities.. this is no conspiracy theory... the more delay in formally approving treatments the more money they will dump into numerous medical institutions.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

How can I give you data if you dont have way to determine its significance? What is an appropriate minimum sample size ?

Keep in mind, the FDA wouldnt have provided emergency approval for treatment if there wasn't a significance in the information they are receiving all around the world with people using it off label

Fauci... not sure what his end game is here. Playing it safe most likely. However, these are the people that want to see billions of dollars poured into our research capabilities.. this is no conspiracy theory... 

Uh, that's a way more complicated answer than just setting a specific number. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6548115/

This is crack pot stuff your talking here. This is like going to the doctor for treatment of an illness, and arguing with him saying "I don't know what your end game is here doc, but I know your up to something." :rolleyes: Fauci isn't up to anything except doing his job, which is trying to mitigate a pandemic crisis. Pouring billions into vaccination of a virus isn't a conspiracy theory, I agree. It's science. I haven't been alive long enough to know what it was like when the vaccination for Polio came about, but I am sure similar conspiracy theories about it being a government plot were around. The internet just has a habit of spreading this stuff like wildfire. Like it was said a few days ago, the Z-pack is being given to treat secondary illnesses that develop as a result of the virus, it doesn't treat the virus. It's like preventing an infection when you get a cut.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

Uh, that's a way more complicated answer than just setting a specific number. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6548115/

This is crack pot stuff your talking here. This is like going to the doctor for treatment of an illness, and arguing with him saying "I don't know what your end game is here doc, but I know your up to something." :rolleyes: Fauci isn't up to anything except doing his job, which is trying to mitigate a pandemic crisis. Pouring billions into vaccination of a virus isn't a conspiracy theory, I agree. It's science. I haven't been alive long enough to know what it was like when the vaccination for Polio came about, but I am sure similar conspiracy theories about it being a government plot were around. The internet just has a habit of spreading this stuff like wildfire. Like it was said a few days ago, the Z-pack is being given to treat secondary illnesses that develop as a result of the virus, it doesn't treat the virus. It's like preventing an infection when you get a cut.

It's really not a complicated answer, especially with only two testing groups and 2 outcomes. There is an overly simplified method that would have most of these studies within minimum sample sizes... and then there is a more calculated approach that would probably put them just at it. Since these people want "FDA BASED RESULTS" they want massive studies completed, multiple trials, and years of trials to study side effects. 

And no, it is not at all crock pot stuff. This shit goes on on all the time, you clearly have no idea the amount of money we dump into big Pharma on a normal day AND independent research facilities including educational ones.  The sheer amount of money wasted with no results. THESE PEOPLE LIKE FAUCI, all the higher up in government medicine... they love to throw billions of dollars at pharma projects with zero oversight. THAT IS FACT.. 

I dont know what Fauci reasoning is here for his statements. WHO has already contradicted themselves on a number of things.. but everyone seems to want to blame Trump for something... Fauci's statements seem to be those of doubt and negative criticism of the drugs use.. and his statements are clearly directed at Trump or with the intent purpose to contradict him.

Just now, JackDaWack said:

It's really not a complicated answer, especially with only two testing groups and 2 outcomes. There is an overly simplified method that would have most of these studies within minimum sample sizes... and then there is a more calculated approach that would probably put them just at it. Since these people want "FDA BASED RESULTS" they want massive studies completed, multiple trials, and years of trials to study side effects. 

And no, it is not at all crock pot stuff. This shit goes on on all the time, you clearly have no idea the amount of money we dump into big Pharma on a normal day AND independent research facilities including educational ones.  The sheer amount of money wasted with no results. THESE PEOPLE LIKE FAUCI, all the higher up in government medicine... they love to throw billions of dollars at pharma projects with zero oversight. THAT IS FACT..

Yes, you do want "FDA BASED RESULTS" because you don't want to be pumped up full of hydroxychloroquine and have adverse effects that destroy other parts of your body. Not that you'll listen to me apparently, but I know from first hand experience of being an unwilling participant to a doctors "trial study" of a drug before, being one of the few cases that had severe adverse reactions. The only thing I ever ask of people when they come up with these theories that contradict the professionals is to provide some sort of evidence to their claim, and they never can. The guy is almost 80 years old, he's dedicated his entire life to medicine and saving lives, and it shocks me that people so desperately try to come up with something to make him the enemy with not a single shred of evidence other than shouting words. You won't catch me pumping myself up with hydroxychloroquine, no sir. I'll go with Fauci on this one, the evidence presented so far is not worth the risk. I read medical journals and case studies before taking a new med that I am unfamiliar with even in my routine travels to my own doctors.

1 minute ago, Spawne32 said:

Yes, you do want "FDA BASED RESULTS" because you don't want to be pumped up full of hydroxychloroquine and have adverse effects that destroy other parts of your body. Not that you'll listen to me apparently, but I know from first hand experience of being an unwilling participant to a doctors "trial study" of a drug before, being one of the few cases that had severe adverse reactions. The only thing I ever ask of people when they come up with these theories that contradict the professionals is to provide some sort of evidence to their claim, and they never can. The guy is almost 80 years old, he's dedicated his entire life to medicine and saving lives, and it shocks me that people so desperately try to come up with something to make him the enemy with not a single shred of evidence other than shouting words. You won't catch me pumping myself up with hydroxychloroquine, no sir. I'll go with Fauci on this one, the evidence presented so far is not worth the risk. I read medical journals and case studies before taking a new med that I am unfamiliar with even in my routine travels to my own doctors.

The drug has been FDA approved and its side effects studied for over 50 years....

7 minutes ago, Spawne32 said:

For malaria and lupus...not when you have a viral pneumonia...

Correct, they have been giving this drug to millions of people for over 60 years to treat those conditions... The drugs side effects are well known, and there is nothing suggesting the virus modified your bodies chemistry to alter those side effects..

The FDA approves drugs based on it "effective treatment", not its "side effects"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spawne32 said:

Yes, you do want "FDA BASED RESULTS" because you don't want to be pumped up full of hydroxychloroquine and have adverse effects that destroy other parts of your body.

The evidence of it's effectiveness is incontrovertible.  It has pulled people literally on the brink of death back.  There is no perfect pill.  This drug has serious risks for a select group of people with specific risk factors.  There is no reason in the world to deny prophylactic treatment because it doesn't work for a minority.  It sounds like scared people taking their anger and frustration out on people that can stay, and become well.  Wahh...if i cant get better with it because I lost the genetics lottery, you cant have it either, so fuck you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1