gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

they would be the very same people that are calling for roadblocks, checkpoints, calling the police on their neighbors for gatherings etc. they'd also happily climb in the train car if told to.

You just really need to calm down....have a cream soda sidney....

8 hours ago, Spawne32 said:

I ain't gonna lie, its getting nutty out there, but I trust that the system will work these issues out in the court the way its supposed to.

History is full of examples of bad things happening when people trusted the system to work out these issues. 

In another post you alluded to be not so young. Think back and how much different and, not for the better, we emerged after every emergency we had in the past. The most glaring example is the emerging surveillance state after 9/11.

How will we emerge after this one? The relationship between citizen and government will be forever changed. There is no temporary when it comes to government. Just for fun remember it wasn't too long ago the courts stroke down a telecomunications tax used to pay for the war of 1812!!!

Trust me, this isn't an old man yells at a cloud, this isn't a "this isn't my world, I want my world back" attitude. Rather it's a warning of what's to come. I fear America is done.

3 hours ago, Malsua said:

Just a quick addendum

Start watching this video about Inoculums (it starts at the appropriate timecode) from March 15 by DR Chris Martenson, PHD in pathogy.   It helps you to understand why a face mask matters:

I don't disagree with wearing a facemask. But I did notice that his initial projections called for 10+ million global cases within a month, which would be in four days. As of today there are supposedly 1.6 million. 

30 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I don't disagree with wearing a facemask. But I did notice that his initial projections called for 10+ million global cases within a month, which would be in four days. As of today there are supposedly 1.6 million. 

You can propose that question to him, he does answer questions and he is data driven, so he will tell you what led him to that conclusion.    I will only say that as of that particular video, there were few lockdowns in place.  Maybe the model he was looking at wasn't accounting for that?   This is doubling every 3 days, so 3 million?  I dunno.   If you said on march 1 there would be 3 million cases by April 15, few would have believed you.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, Mrs. Peel said:

Bringing this fully back to the original "prepping" topic for just a moment... I'm curious... assuming you all started this event with full cupboards, full freezer, etc. - what are you doing now? Are you...

1. getting occasional restaurant deliveries to stretch the reserves (or just for a refreshing change of pace)?
  2. getting groceries delivered (if they have that in your area) to add to supplies?
  3. going out occasionally to grocery shop... again, to top off your food supplies?
  4. staying in entirely, and just living off what's in the house already?

When I started hunting about four years ago we purchased a deep chest freezer for the basement.  So glad we have it and it's loaded with vension!

We probably could never have to leave the house for 3 months minimum or more if we really watched what we ate.  Plenty of venison plus other food my wife has purchased.  Beginning of March I purchased a bulk toilet paper package from Costco and following week when the panic started to set in my wife purchased one of the larger packages of TP at Target.  She got the last "name brand" package on the shelf at that time.  

I've been going out about once a week to a week and a half.  Mostly to purchase comfort foods so the kids don't feel the effects so much, replenish fresh produce and shop for other family members (older mother inlaw, brother & sister inlaw with baby who left NYC for their family's PA farm).  Also to look for toilet paper.  Even though we have plenty left the shelvles have been bare every time I've gone out for the past month (I started working from home March 9th).  Yesterday Costco had some so I purchased the one package you are allowed to buy.  We are probably good for 1.5 - 2 months now as far as that's concerned.

I've never considered myself a prepper.  I've always just kind of somewhat always had prepper mentality.  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  I may get more serious and more orgnaized ab out prepping after this experience.  Wife will probably be more on board with it as well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

When I started hunting about four years ago we purchased a deep chest freezer for the basement.  So glad we have it and it's loaded with vension!

We probably could never have to leave the house for 3 months minimum or more if we really watched what we ate.  Plenty of venison plus other food my wife has purchased.  Beginning of March I purchased a bulk toilet paper package from Costco and following week when the panic started to set in my wife purchased one of the larger packages of TP at Target.  She got the last "name brand" package on the shelf at that time.  

I've been going out about once a week to a week and a half.  Mostly to purchase comfort foods so the kids don't feel the effects so much, replenish fresh produce and shop for other family members (older mother inlaw, brother & sister inlaw with baby who left NYC for their family's PA farm).  Also to look for toilet paper.  Even though we have plenty left the shelvles have been bare every time I've gone out for the past month (I started working from home March 9th).  Yesterday Costco had some so I purchased the one package you are allowed to buy.  We are probably good for 1.5 - 2 months now as far as that's concerned.

I've never considered myself a prepper.  I've always just kind of somewhat always had prepper mentality.  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  I may get more serious and more orgnaized ab out prepping after this experience.  Wife will probably be more on board with it as well.

Would you consider the grilled meatloaf as “ comfort food”?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I think it’s time to end this.

The numbers they used to justify this nonsense (2 - 2.5 mill in the US) has been adjusted down several times; most recently to 60 thou....and they’re cooking the books to even reach that number.

23 minutes ago, W2MC said:

I think it’s time to end this.

The numbers they used to justify this nonsense (2 - 2.5 mill in the US) has been adjusted down several times; most recently to 60 thou....and they’re cooking the books to even reach that number.

I agree with you. It astounds me how the numbers are inflated. 

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

I think you'll be in PLENTY of good company, @gleninjersey! However things turn out with this particular pandemic, anyone with even half a brain is going to reflect on this experience and think, "Damn, in the future, the grid going down... or another Hurricane Sandy sweeping through... or 10 other things could land me in a very similar circumstance, but possibly worse and with even less warning." Even though I was moving towards a more "prepped" stance anyway (and doing that from ground zero really, because I was really VERY unprepared), this has been eye-opening for me personally. It's more than just having extra food - it's about a carefully planned out supply (e.g., the tuna AND the mayo!) - with the right supplies to keep the meals interesting, and enough paper goods, and enough detergents, etc. I did "ok" on that score - but I do have to do one Amazon order to fill in the gaps, so I didn't do as well as I could have. I can tell you this though, I'll never have empty cupboards again... not if I can help it. I'm going to do a regular replenishment... rotating out the older products, etc. Nothing bonkers, but a minimum of 2-3 months worth of food in the house at any given time is my new goal. (For a person living alone, that's quite achievable without a lot of dedicated space).

Once I move to a new house, a pantry (even a small D-I-Y one) and a generator will be must haves... and a small chest freezer is something I'd consider also! And I'll absolutely have a reloading bench, too, and the supplies and knowledge to use it if need be to crank out the calibers of any guns I own at the time. Again, regardless of how this particular situation turns out, there's been a ton of good life lessons here IMO. I suppose that's the small silver lining in all of this! I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking these things, so I predict the prepper movement is going to get a big shot in the arm from all of this - going even more mainstream.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I agree with you. It astounds me how the numbers are inflated. 

I’m not sure about this. Argument could be made these actions are lowering the numbers.

Let me ask you a simple question, if you have something that’s person to person transmitting, would not limit the person to contact limit that transmission.

Also, I believe the origin country of this virus China ( ergo the China Virus) is lying like a summabitch. And I don’t think we are being told the real story.

• Agree 1

Just now, Zeke said:

I’m not sure about this. Argument could be made these actions are lowering the numbers.

Let me ask you a simple question, if you have something that’s person to person transmitting, would not limit the person to contact limit that transmission.

Also, I believe the origin country of this virus China ( ergo the China Virus) is lying like a summabitch. And I don’t think we are being told the real story.

I think you misunderstood what I was referring to....my fault for not clarifying. 

I mean the numbers are inflated in regard to mortality stats. Ive been particularly vocal about this. 
Deaths WITH COV-19 are counted as deaths FROM COV-19...this is what I am talking about. 
You can’t count them as the same thing, because they are not. 

There is no question that this is a rapidly, readily transmittable virus. It can have fatal effects on people, especially those with serious underlying health conditions. Testing positive for COV-19 is NOT a death sentence, there is substantial evidence to show that most everyone has mild or no symptoms...but this point is well documented. 

There is also no question that we should do what we can to limit the person to person transmission of this virus. I wouldn’t want to spread my flu germs to anyone, for example. Its not a responsible, or polite, thing to do. 

Like you, I don’t believe we are being told the real story...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2