gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

Rib eye center cut steaks on the grill....  potatoes...green beans....creamed spinach    homemade biscuits. .....bourbon...pregame. .switchback beer..interlude and some nice brotherhood cabernet with dinner   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Rib eye center cut steaks on the grill....  potatoes...green beans....creamed spinach    homemade biscuits. .....bourbon...pregame. .switchback beer..interlude and some nice brotherhood cabernet with dinner   

We had nearly the same thing the other night...less the cab

• Like 2

just came back from wallyworld. no tp at all. no paper towels at all. very low on milk, very low on eggs and water. most food isles half empty, when normally overflowing. most meat products gone. 

this dam well better not be a real new normal. 

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

just came back from wallyworld. no tp at all. no paper towels at all. very low on milk, very low on eggs and water. most food isles half empty, when normally overflowing. most meat products gone. 

Low on milk but dairy farmers are dimming it by the truckload. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

Costco Has been getting some in recently.  Don't know if you are a member or not.  Sister in law purchased some at Bridgewater location few days ago and I purchased a package at North Plainfield yesterday (though three other stores were bare shelves).

Two weeks ago I was at local supermarket around 6:30pm and they were putting some out.  Seems you have to be in the right place at the right time.

It will pass.  Few months we'll look back at this nightmare and learn from it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Costco Has been getting some in recently.  Don't know if you are a member or not.  Sister in law purchased some at Bridgewater location few days ago and I purchased a package at North Plainfield yesterday (though three other stores were bare shelves).

Two weeks ago I was at local supermarket around 6:30pm and they were putting some out.  Seems you have to be in the right place at the right time.

It will pass.  Few months we'll look back at this nightmare and learn from it.

one thing I've done....and I don't know why the hell it took me so long to start...…..I froze a few loafs of bread, which i'm glad I did, 'cause there were exactly 3 loafs on the shelves tonight. 

i'm mostly set for food. tp and paper towels i'm fine for at least a month. there were some wet wipes, so I grabbed a couple for the vehicles and for in the house. 

since I have become my mothers means of travel and support I have learned that she eats like a spastic 3 year old. on a positive note, she no longer thinks I was paranoid for stocking food well ahead

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

Walmart sucks at restocking in normal times.

Maybe find a Shop Rite. Ours is pretty well stocked on most things. Intermittent paper products.  Zero OJ lately though.  Some frozen stuff a bit light.  But they had a bunch of hand sanitizer refills on Friday.  Looked like a brand that started making it last week...

Oh..and for whatever reason, we have a hard time finding Arnold Palmer iced tea-lemonade anywhere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I think you misunderstood what I was referring to....my fault for not clarifying. 

I mean the numbers are inflated in regard to mortality stats. Ive been particularly vocal about this. 
Deaths WITH COV-19 are counted as deaths FROM COV-19...this is what I am talking about. 
You can’t count them as the same thing, because they are not. 

There is no question that this is a rapidly, readily transmittable virus. It can have fatal effects on people, especially those with serious underlying health conditions. Testing positive for COV-19 is NOT a death sentence, there is substantial evidence to show that most everyone has mild or no symptoms...but this point is well documented. 

There is also no question that we should do what we can to limit the person to person transmission of this virus. I wouldn’t want to spread my flu germs to anyone, for example. Its not a responsible, or polite, thing to do. 

Like you, I don’t believe we are being told the real story...

I have heard that a hospital receives around $11000 for each Covid case it reports as having come in for treatment, and up to $45,000 if the patient is hooked up to a respirator, courtesy of Medicare.  Next time I see my sister-in-law (Director of finance at a non-profit chain), I will see if she can (or will) confirm or not.

Just a point to ponder.

9 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

Walmart sucks at restocking in normal times.

Maybe find a Shop Rite. Ours is pretty well stocked on most things. Intermittent paper products.  Zero OJ lately though.  Some frozen stuff a bit light.  But they had a bunch of hand sanitizer refills on Friday.  Looked like a brand that started making it last week...

Oh..and for whatever reason, we have a hard time finding Arnold Palmer iced tea-lemonade anywhere.

The main trucks roll up around 2am.  Restock shift begins about 4am.  The people wandering in at 7-8am get first dibs.  All the stock is  already out or almost out by then. 

Since only paper products have the courtesy sign about 1 per customer, the egg lover (for example) will fill his cart with 50 dozen eggs for some reason.  Its a matter of beating out eggman on any given day.  I assume much of what he hoards finds its' way to other sales channels.  If you wander in at 6pm after work, you are seeing the dregs of what the early birds didn't want, especially dairy and paper and meats.   Also, if we order 10 cases of an item, the supplier may send none the next day with no reason given, then 30 cases show up 2 days later.

1 hour ago, AlDente67 said:

I have heard that a hospital receives around $11000 for each Covid case it reports as having come in for treatment, and up to $45,000 if the patient is hooked up to a respirator, courtesy of Medicare.  Next time I see my sister-in-law (Director of finance at a non-profit chain), I will see if she can (or will) confirm or not.

Just a point to ponder.

I am in the middle of two hospital builds since december....all in various stage of engineering design....  they have pivoted to maximum beds in each facility, based on the above....from what i heard on a call, based on their grants and to what the gov will do.

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I am in the middle of two hospital builds since december....all in various stage of engineering design....  they have pivoted to maximum beds in each facility, based on the above....from what i heard on a call, based on their grants and to what the gov will do.

This 'stimulus' is the healthcare equivalent of the GWOT money that came flowing out of the DoD post 9/11 to about 2006/7. gov't cheese for everyone! Almost no accountability, rampant waste and fraud. Of COURSE any HC organization and governments will inflate its numbers, it's already been shown

1 hour ago, matty said:

This 'stimulus' is the healthcare equivalent of the GWOT money that came flowing out of the DoD post 9/11 to about 2006/7. gov't cheese for everyone! Almost no accountability, rampant waste and fraud. Of COURSE any HC organization and governments will inflate its numbers, it's already been shown

It looks like Trump is floating the idea of another stimulus check. They need to hurry and reopen the gun stores so I can spend this money. :hunter:

On 4/4/2020 at 7:58 AM, Malsua said:

First, food supply was at a very high stockpile back before these stay in place orders hit.   That stockpile has been reduced significantly.

...snip...

3.  If you can get a small freezer, lay in some extra meat.   Once again, I don't think there will be shortages.  There will however probably be outages.  This means if you can't get to store around when the truck has shown up and  the products are put out, you won't be able to get it.  Supply bottlenecks are going to occur.  Count on it.  They look like the toilet paper situation.

Quoting myself so I seem like a broken record.

Get your meat!  There's gonna be some outages.

https://apnews.com/0cd7680d2d221944ed05f86691bb3537

Smithfield closes South Dakota pork plant due to coronavirus

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Virginia-based Smithfield Foods announced Sunday that it is closing its pork processing plant in Sioux Falls until further notice after hundreds of employees tested positive for the coronavirus — a step the head of the company warned could hurt the nation’s meat supply.

The announcement came a day after South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem and Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken wrote to Smithfield and urged the company to suspend operations for 14 days so that its workers could self-isolate and the plant could be disinfected.

The plant, which employs about 3,700 people in the state’s largest city, has become a hot spot for infections. Health officials said Sunday that 293 of the 730 people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in South Dakota work at the plant.

“As a critical infrastructure employer for the nation’s food supply chain and a major employer in Sioux Falls, it is crucial that Smithfield have a healthy workforce to ensure the continuity of operations to feed the nation. At the same time, employees need a healthy work environment,” Noem and TenHaken wrote to the plant’s operators.

Smithfield announced a three-day closure last week so it could sanitize the plant and install physical barriers to enhance social distancing. But on Sunday, it announced the plant’s indefinite closure.

“The closure of this facility, combined with a growing list of other protein plants that have shuttered across our industry, is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply,” Smithfield president and CEO Kenneth Sullivan said in a statement. “It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running. These facility closures will also have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions for many in the supply chain, first and foremost our nation’s livestock farmers.”

The Sioux Falls facility is one of the largest pork processing plants in the U.S., Smithfield said. It supplies nearly 130 million servings of food per week, or about 18 million servings per day.

There has been no evidence that the coronavirus is being transmitted through food or its packaging, according to the Department of Agriculture.

Other meat processing plants have also closed temporarily because of outbreaks of the coronavirus, including a Tyson Foods facility in Columbus Junction, Iowa, where more than two dozen employees tested positive.

Sullivan said Smithfield had been operating during the coronavirus crisis because it wanted to sustain the nation’s food supply.

“We believe it is our obligation to help feed the country, now more than ever. We have a stark choice as a nation: we are either going to produce food or not, even in the face of COVID-19,” he said.

Smithfield said there will be some activity at the plant on Tuesday to process product that’s already in inventory. It will resume operations in Sioux Falls after receiving further directions from local, state and federal officials. The company said it will continue to pay its workers for the next two weeks.

For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and death.

There had been six COVID-19-related deaths in South Dakota as of Sunday.

___

This story has been corrected to reflect that as of Sunday, there had been six COVID-19-related deaths in South Dakota, not North Dakota.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, NJSigfan said:

They need to figure out a way to stimulate the groups that got nothing in the last check....

That sounds like privilege to me.  Only the elites and the poor can be looked out for.  The functional folks who actually execute are just expected to pay for it all, and are brainwashed on either end of the spectrum to accept it. 

13 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

The main trucks roll up around 2am.  Restock shift begins about 4am.  The people wandering in at 7-8am get first dibs.  All the stock is  already out or almost out by then. 

Since only paper products have the courtesy sign about 1 per customer, the egg lover (for example) will fill his cart with 50 dozen eggs for some reason.  Its a matter of beating out eggman on any given day.  I assume much of what he hoards finds its' way to other sales channels.  If you wander in at 6pm after work, you are seeing the dregs of what the early birds didn't want, especially dairy and paper and meats.   Also, if we order 10 cases of an item, the supplier may send none the next day with no reason given, then 30 cases show up 2 days later.

still isn't right, and I find it worrisome. I've always gone there late, and never before seen empty shelves or empty freezers...….

6 hours ago, JHZR2 said:

That sounds like privilege to me.  Only the elites and the poor can be looked out for.  The functional folks who actually execute are just expected to pay for it all, and are brainwashed on either end of the spectrum to accept it. 

Not sure how to read your post?  Are you calling me privileged?  I know plenty of people that are not elitest and lost out, my sister being one of them.  Divorced mom with 2 kids, who busts her ass to make a decent living For her kids but “earned” too much to qualify.  

Where's the beef? In my freezer! Just got prepped with a surprise delivery of a big cooler from Omaha Steaks yesterday:yahoo:. Wifes aunt sent a welcome to FL gift but put us in the precarious position of having to make room in a already well stocked freezer. So we called in some family help and force fed ourselves ice cream, appys, and other less deserving items and am happy to report we perservered and all is well.

9 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

Not sure how to read your post?  Are you calling me privileged?  I know plenty of people that are not elitest and lost out, my sister being one of them.  Divorced mom with 2 kids, who busts her ass to make a decent living For her kids but “earned” too much to qualify.  

Was intended to be a joke.  We don’t qualify either.  I’m sure the SJW type would classify a comment like yours as “privilege” - shut up and pay for others. 

Most of these sorts of actions help the upper and lower ends of the earning spectrum, and are paid for on the backs of those of us who are neither rich or poor.  In a place like NJ it’s also possible to make too much to qualify, yet not have a windfall of cash, due to high costs of living. 

27 minutes ago, siderman said:

Where's the beef? In my freezer! Just got prepped with a surprise delivery of a big cooler from Omaha Steaks yesterday:yahoo:. Wifes aunt sent a welcome to FL gift but put us in the precarious position of having to make room in a already well stocked freezer. So we called in some family help and force fed ourselves ice cream, appys, and other less deserving items and am happy to report we perservered and all is well.

I love the little potato balls au Gratin from them.

My only problem with Omaha steaks is the portion sizes.  The food is usually pretty good, but a 5oz sirloin?  Really.  lol. 

That said, they may be a "go to" if the food supply gets more constrained but if you look at their current stock of ribeyes?  All sold out.  Shit just go real yo.