gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

2 hours ago, PeteF said:

"Compassion and empathy for your fellow man" , says the guy that laughs when he is told about a person behaving normal is ridiculed by others.  Hypocrite much.  If your "management plan" requires something from others besides normal decency  (Breathing and eating are normal human functions), then your management plan sucks and needs to be revised.

Aren't they special that everyone else has to change to meet their needs.  Talk about narcissistic.

Guess what,  there is almost nothing in the world that someone does not have an allergy to.  Should everyone give up everything, as to make sure that the allergic person won't have a reaction?  Or is it just for your case?

We all reap what we sow - when a MAN complaining that he has to give up his snack due to a CHILD having a possible severe anaphylaxis (spelling) reaction to it - is publicly ridiculed for NOT behaving like a man or normally - I take pride in my fellow humans for calling out dumbasses.

It is not so much that everyone has to change to meet needs - it is a matter of people being caring

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I won't go too far out of my way to accommodate most food allergies that others might have, beyond making sure the menu isn't a problem if I'm feeding guests.  But the peanut allergy is a breed apart--an unfathomably small amount of the allergen can be deadly.   If I'm asked by a nearby passenger not to open a peanut packet on a plane--and it has happened--I don't open the peanut packet.   It's not a big deal for me; I don't give it a second thought, until a thread like this comes along.

But If a passenger asks me not to open the pretzel packet because they are on a gluten free diet, I'm probably going to eat my pretzels.  Very different risk profile in that case.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I won't go too far out of my way to accommodate most food allergies that others might have, beyond making sure the menu isn't a problem if I'm feeding guests.  But the peanut allergy is a breed apart--an unfathomably small amount of the allergen can be deadly.   If I'm asked by a nearby passenger not to open a peanut packet on a plane--and it has happened--I don't open the peanut packet.   It's not a big deal for me; I don't give it a second thought, until a thread like this comes along.

But If a passenger asks me not to open the pretzel packet because they are on a gluten free diet, I'm probably going to eat my pretzels.  Very different risk profile in that case.

100000000000%

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Thank you for posting this, 10X. I was actually logging on to post something similar! (Siamese twins, separated at birth?) In all fairness, I think the cranky gentleman on the plane... and some posters here, too... might not be fully aware of just how damn dangerous some food allergies are >>> the peanut allergy in particular! It's a wierd one. They have had cases where someone simply opened a package of peanuts on the same plane as an allergic person, for instance, and it triggered an attack due to inhalation of the peanut proteins. That, of course, can quickly escalate to anaphylactic shock and even death. 35,000 ft in the air is not where you want to have a medical emergency!! Not only is the allergic person at severe risk (the biggest concern obviously), but now you're also possibly re-routing the flight, trying to make a quick landing at a nearby airport, inconveniencing other passengers who will miss connections, etc., etc. So, aside from the immediate critical aspects of a medical emergency, there's a lot of unwanted ripple effect that airlines obviously want to avoid, too! I personally would like to see a much better job done by public health authorities to explain the critical risk of severe allergies to the general public.. because if you don't have a food allergy yourself, and don't know someone who does... I think it'd be quite easy to underestimate the situation! 

Back on the prepping topic...  

• How are all of you holding up in these strange times? (Dare I ask? LOL).
  • What are you finding most difficult/challenging about this situation? Replenishing your stock? Dealing with the cabin fever?
  • Let us know what you're doing to stay (relatively) sane! ;)
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

My one big regret is that if things really go bad, my usual fall-back plan (cannibalism) is probably off the table with all the infectiousness and all. 

• Haha 3
  • Crazy 2

2 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

When prices return to normal I think it would be a good idea to load up on some masks. 

Not something I would have really considered before.

Just sayin'

Come October/November - you will need them again, you will need a stash of food again and prepare for shelter in place 2.0....

27 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

• What are you finding most difficult/challenging about this situation? Replenishing your stock? Dealing with the cabin fever?

Hmmm -

- I regret no masks - have some but not enough.

- I regret that I do not have more home canned veggies

- We are home bodies so as I have basically been at home working since march 11 - it is glorious.  My wife and my 23yr old daughter - not a raised voice, not a scowl - nothing we are lucky. Blessed really.  

I DO REGRET that I do have to go back to Manhattan someday - and frankly this whole thing has solidified our plan to leave NJ and head down to the Charleston area, which was summer of 2022.  I am going to see if I can do summer of 2021 or later next year...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Other than bring ever so slightly inconvenienced with not being able to run out and purchase (mostly) unnecessary items when ever we felt like it I think my family is holding up pretty well.  My biggest gripe is working from home.

People think it will be easier, save time and you'll be able to relax more.  I'm finding I'm sitting in front if the computer longer.  Especially the first three weeks.  My company was not prepared to have their entire work force remoting in.  The systems simply couldn't handle it.

Last two weeks have been better but I'm still working more than if we were in the office.  Beats going in to ground zero every day though.

I find I'm drinking more than usual.  I'm not a big drinker at home but I've gone through 1.5 bottles of whiskey the last month.  Obviously not excessive but a bottle would probably last me 4-6 months under normal circumstances.

Also reading to stay sane.  I picked up three fiction novels at the library the last Saturday they were open (3 or 4 weeks ago). Finished one already.  Also crossing items off lists of annoying BS home repairs.  Watching a little Netflix with the wife but I'm not a big tv watcher.  Prob start cleaning up the basement soon.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Well, I WAS wearing masks last week. I wasn't wearing a mask a month ago, but a month ago, we weren't at or near peak infection, but were reducing people going out and people were keeping their distance and WE WEREN'T NEAR PEAK INFECTION. 

Which means we had to contact a lot more people to statistically run into an infected person. The math on that is a LOT more unfriendly now. 

As the rate of infections drop, then the odds of encountering infected people drops, and we go back to not having to take as many precautions. 

I do not know what's wrong with you. If you wanted to rail about freedoms and the man, it'd make a lot more sense about using police powers to curtail freedom of assembly than people being prepared to say you are trespassing for not wearing a mask.  Or even the stupid rule about no more than two people in cars. Yeah, the local teenagers are driving around in parked cars. But they aren't my teenagers and if you raised stupid ones.. well it might kill you now. But they aren't putting the general population at risk. But for a family of four who are locked in together anyway. Making me interact with a higher risk individual because the rules were written by morons seems counterproductive. 

But no.. you want to die on the hill of fuck you I'm not wearing no mask. Despite the benefit to you if you are disease free of reducing your chance of infection form those who are not. 

You seem so sure about that peak infection thing?  How many case are there in the US.  Not Confirmed , actual cases.  Guarantee there are millions. and have been for a long time.   I guess you missed all those people that have been getting very ill since November.

Here's one for reference.   2 months from now all of you mask wearers are gonna come out into a world with millions of carriers.  So we get to do this ALL OVER AGAIN.

I guess the mask you weren't wearing then saved you?

As to why I'm irritated.  

Maybe go back and read previous post about curtailing of liberties.    And then maybe explain to me how it is my responsibility  to make sure YOU don't get sick.  Maybe you be an adult and take care of yourself and your family and I'll do the same.  I don't need someone to tell me how to live. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

We all reap what we sow - when a MAN complaining that he has to give up his snack due to a CHILD having a possible severe anaphylaxis (spelling) reaction to it - is publicly ridiculed for NOT behaving like a man or normally - I take pride in my fellow humans for calling out dumbasses.

It is not so much that everyone has to change to meet needs - it is a matter of people being caring

Yep exactly shows what kind of a human you are.  You revel in the abuse of others. 

Guy wants to eat his snack in peace and he is a dumbass?  On e again maybe we should ban everything that someone is allergic to.  What would have happen if someone had a bag of peanuts in the terminal before getting on the plane?  Oh nnop[e can't have that someone on the plane maybe allergic.  If you are that susceptible maybe it''s incumbent on YOU to not put yourself in the situation?  No, it's much easier to make someone else take care of it for you.

" it is a matter of people being caring" By ridicule. Hypocrite much?

• Like 1
  • FacePalm 3

2 hours ago, PeteF said:

Yep exactly shows what kind of a human you are.  You revel in the abuse of others. 

Guy wants to eat his snack in peace and he is a dumbass?  On e again maybe we should ban everything that someone is allergic to.  What would have happen if someone had a bag of peanuts in the terminal before getting on the plane?  Oh nnop[e can't have that someone on the plane maybe allergic.  If you are that susceptible maybe it''s incumbent on YOU to not put yourself in the situation?  No, it's much easier to make someone else take care of it for you.

" it is a matter of people being caring" By ridicule. Hypocrite much?

Dude..seek help...i get we are all stressed but really this derangement is bordering on psychosis...  i feel bad for you....

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Dude..seek help...i get we are all stressed but really this derangement is bordering on psychosis...  i feel bad for you....

Yes you should seek help.  Takes enjoyment in watching others belittle someone for doing nothing.  

Has no idea what personal responsibility is.  Thinks it is someone else responsibility to take care of him.

Grow up then seek professional help.

• Like 1

@USRifle30Cal & @PeteF - as others have pointed out, that topic has now been beaten to death... and beyond. :deadhorse:

These are stressful times. People are worried about their businesses/jobs, their loved ones... they should be able to come on here and enjoy a sense of community and a little respite from the stress... and not be subjected to verbal brawling. I'm trying to be patient, but enough is enough. The next person to fling poo - for any reason - will be placed in a "timeout". 

As Mom used to say: Don't MAKE me pull this car over!  :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2