gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

On 4/15/2020 at 12:14 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Gosh, I feel like such a loser... I have only (2) 4x8 beds...! :cray:.

Seriously though... you can bet your bippy I'll be growing veggies this year - in those 2 beds and then yet more in containers on my deck. For a single person like myself, it'll actually be quite abundant! 

This year in particular, I don't think anyone could do a smarter "prepper" move than the simple act of planting and tending a veggie garden!

You shouldn't feel bad at all!!  I'm letting my neighbor plant his stuff in what used to be my garden, 50' x 100'.  I'm terrible at gardening.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I co-opted my neighbors yard.  We doin' some share cropp'n.  The groundhogs will be well fed.

And that is white meat - :)

2 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

… that's what .22cals are for.

22 magnums....

46 minutes ago, Zeke said:

57 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Dump 'em into the crock pot?

I have never eaten or field dressed a groundhog, but I have been told by someone who does, that there are several glands under the skin that need to be removed before cooking. 

Referenced here

I’ve killed and eaten a lot of game, including rabbits and squirrels (and once a raccoon...but that’s another story), but I think I’d have to be awful hungry to eat a groundhog. 

8 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I have never eaten or field dressed a groundhog, but I have been told by someone who does, that there are several glands under the skin that need to be removed before cooking. 

Referenced here

I’ve killed and eaten a lot of game, including rabbits and squirrels (and once a raccoon...but that’s another story), but I think I’d have to be awful hungry to eat a groundhog. 

Right now, someone in Wuhan is reading this thread and thinking "those savages will eat anything!"

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

Right now, someone in Wuhan is reading this thread and thinking "those savages will eat anything!"

There was a show a long time ago probably on a Discovery like channel of a guy in Africa that was being offered some kinds large dung beetle kinda thing that the locals were roasting and wanted him to try and he had a can of spaghettios - they both had looks of disgust on their faces - it was quite funny.

4 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

There was a show a long time ago probably on a Discovery like channel of a guy in Africa that was being offered some kinds large dung beetle kinda thing that the locals were roasting and wanted him to try and he had a can of spaghettios - they both had looks of disgust on their faces - it was quite funny.

I know some Cajuns down in the bayous or south Louisiana that would probably make a gumbo out of things like that. 

• Haha 1

I knew guys back in Ohio what would eat ground hog.   We'd pop a handful and drop 'em off.    These mostly toothless brothers owned a farm about 20 minutes back up a gravel road to nowhere.    The kind of guys who would run  you off if they didn't know you and you'd have expected momma to be under the bed on a dolly.(see Xfiles "Home").   Didn't drive, never got up on to the hard road unless circumstances required it.  

Whenever corn (or something else) would come in, we'd often find a burlap bag out by the truck of that crop.   Usually sweet corn and often quite good.

Of course, hitting a hog at 300 yards with a .300 Weatherby magnum didn't leave much eatin.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Of course, hitting a hog at 300 yards with a .300 Weatherby magnum didn't leave much eatin.

I once shot a cottontail with a .270 Weatherby at about 200 yards..most of the bigger pieces of him wound up in a tree. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I once shot a cottontail with a .270 Weatherby at about 200 yards..most of the bigger pieces of him wound up in a tree. 

We typically only fetched the ones hit by the 22-250.  The .300 damage was often just red mist and little to no detectable corpse.   I guarantee it's as painless as it gets.

12 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I saw something similar once with a jackrabbit and a 300 H&H magnum that was out for test firing.   The rabbit was clearly gone after the shot was fired, but we had to walk to the point of impact to figure out if it had been a hit (it was) or if the rabbit had simply run off into the sagebrush.

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

We typically only fetched the ones hit by the 22-250.  The .300 damage was often just red mist and little to no detectable corpse.   I guarantee it's as painless as it gets.

Wasn’t much different outcome than the .270...I’ll spare the gory details. 

That rabbit deserved it though.