gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

17 hours ago, Zeke said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/easy-pie-dough-recipe.html

here you go shiny truck! You got this!

I know copper kills , etc.  But how does it work with a door knob?:huh:

...and then you put it in your pocket, and then grab it when you pull your keys out the next time.  The virus lives for how long on a surface?

Just now, Handyman said:

That's why you have to have two of them. You use one to pick up the other.

Just now, W2MC said:

But from where? 

You put the thing in your pocket.  You think the gross stays only on the copper pick?

No need really.   Whatever it touches, it disinfects, rapidly.   Minutes at the worst.   In hours, there is simply no trace of the virus remaining.

If you have this in your pocket with coins?  As it is touching the coins, it's cleaning them.  It's cleaning your pocket too!  Copper is simply awesome as a disinfectant.  

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Malsua said:

No need really.   Whatever it touches, it disinfects, rapidly.   Minutes at the worst.   In hours, there is simply no trace of the virus remaining.

If you have this in your pocket with coins?  As it is touching the coins, it's cleaning them.  It's cleaning your pocket too!  Copper is simply awesome as a disinfectant.  

That’s sound logic. It’s like an antiviral pocket rocket!:B:):

As for another prep item, I'm going to see if I can find a portable pulse oximeter.

We've known for a while now that Covid-19 patients often show up at the ER with Low pulse ox, presenting as Hypoxia.

When they are X-ray'd double lung pneumonia is almost always present.  People are often dead shortly thereafter.

I've read a number of articles on how CV is kicking Iron out of the hemeglobin and starving your body of Oxygen. What I didn't understand until just now is this:

This particular article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html?referringSource=articleShare

A vast majority of Covid pneumonia patients I met had remarkably low oxygen saturations at triage — seemingly incompatible with life — but they were using their cellphones as we put them on monitors. Although breathing fast, they had relatively minimal apparent distress, despite dangerously low oxygen levels and terrible pneumonia on chest X-rays.

We are only just beginning to understand why this is so. The coronavirus attacks lung cells that make surfactant. This substance helps the air sacs in the lungs stay open between breaths and is critical to normal lung function. As the inflammation from Covid pneumonia starts, it causes the air sacs to collapse, and oxygen levels fall. Yet the lungs initially remain “compliant,” not yet stiff or heavy with fluid. This means patients can still expel carbon dioxide — and without a buildup of carbon dioxide, patients do not feel short of breath.

See that bolded, underlined bit?   That's the key.   That's what brings it all together.  Anyone who has had pneumonia can tell you that you are well aware that something is wrong.  These patients ARE NOT AWARE.

So for prep for pandemic or at least this pandemic?  Get a pulse oximeter.   It will tell you or anyone who sticks their finger in it if they are having a problem and are not aware of it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

10 minutes ago, Malsua said:

As for another prep item, I'm going to see if I can find a portable pulse oximeter.

We've known for a while now that Covid-19 patients often show up at the ER with Low pulse ox, presenting as Hypoxia.

When they are X-ray'd double lung pneumonia is almost always present.  People are often dead shortly thereafter.

I've read a number of articles on how CV is kicking Iron out of the hemeglobin and starving your body of Oxygen. What I didn't understand until just now is this:

This particular article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html?referringSource=articleShare

See that bolded, underlined bit?   That's the key.   That's what brings it all together.  Anyone who has had pneumonia can tell you that you are well aware that something is wrong.  These patients ARE NOT AWARE.

So for prep for pandemic or at least this pandemic?  Get a pulse oximeter.   If will tell you or anyone who sticks their finger in it if they are having a problem and are not aware of it.

ViATOM Oxygen Saturation Monitor, Wireless Blood Oxygen Monitor with Audio Reminder on Device & Smartphone Free APP, Finger Wearable O2 Levels Meter Pulse Rate Tracker Oxylink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X55PZ1G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qc1NEbH27JBED

just a quick search, have no idea what is quality 

8 minutes ago, Malsua said:

The good news is that they have gotten very cheap in recent years, falling in price from a few hundred bucks to $30 or so.  And by all accounts, most of the cheap ones are pretty accurate.

• Informative 1

Just now, 10X said:

The good news is that they have gotten very cheap in recent years, falling in price from a few hundred bucks to $30 or so.  And by all accounts, most of the cheap ones are pretty accurate.

I just bought a cheapy on Ebay for $28+tax.  I'll report back when I get it. 

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

I just bought a cheapy on Ebay for $28+tax.  I'll report back when I get it. 

Many of the Fitbits have capability. Mine started giving me info on blood oxygen levels after a recent firmware update.

Unfortunately, it only tells me about how much the blood oxygen level varies during sleep.  I think it has ability to give instantaneous readings, but not FDA approved so Fitbit does not support it.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

So for prep for pandemic or at least this pandemic?  Get a pulse oximeter.   It will tell you or anyone who sticks their finger in it if they are having a problem and are not aware of it.

Medcram has several videos on different modes of pneumonia (V/Q mismatch, shunt, diffusion abnormality), and different ways to use the ventilators to address different pneumatic issues and modes.  It is pretty amazing stuff.  We are fearfully and wonderfully made!

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Couldn't you use a tissue to push a button or turn a door knob, then throw it away?

Don't stop him. He's on a roll. I'm waiting for him to get some shrink wrap to wrap himself when he needs to get out of the house.

1 hour ago, leahcim said:

Many of the Fitbits have capability. Mine started giving me info on blood oxygen levels after a recent firmware update.

Unfortunately, it only tells me about how much the blood oxygen level varies during sleep.  I think it has ability to give instantaneous readings, but not FDA approved so Fitbit does not support it.

garmin does. 24/7 pulse ox reading if you want. it's a fairly sizeable hit on the battery, but with garmin you're talking about days even with it on, so i guess it doesn't matter much. jury is still out on how useful this data is when measuring it during the day

23 minutes ago, WP22 said:

I'm waiting for him to get some shrink wrap to wrap himself when he needs to get out of the house.

What did the cop say to the man clothed in Saran wrap?

Tripple click line for answer. I can clearly see your nuts.

I got a finger pulse-ox for my wife from Walgreens last fall, when she had a hypoxia event. Was like $30. Ended up in t he hospital for a week, and is now on her ventilator pretty much 24/7 now. Her oxy drops fast off it since her diaphragm no longer works, pretty much, but goes back up to 93-95 or higher steady.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, matty said:

I got a finger pulse-ox for my wife from Walgreens last fall, when she had a hypoxia event. Was like $30. Ended up in t he hospital for a week, and is now on her ventilator pretty much 24/7 now. Her oxy drops fast off it since her diaphragm no longer works, pretty much, but goes back up to 93-95 or higher steady.

Sorry to hear that.  Hope she is doing well.

If you don't mind me asking, what caused her diaphragm to stop working?  

9 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Sorry to hear that.  Hope she is doing well.

If you don't mind me asking, what caused her diaphragm to stop working?  

I can't answer for him, but the ones I do know about are ALS/MD/MS and polio.    Polio was the reason for all the Iron Lungs used in the 1920s up through the late 50s.    Trauma is another thing that can cause it.  The nerve cluster that runs the diaphragm can get severed or damaged.  There's probably a bunch of things, most of which end up with the person dying so it tends not to be a chronic condition, the above examples aside of course.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ1XCRN/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_s2zOEbKMSCR4G

This is the pulse ox meter I use for my daughter who has asthma. Works well for an adult but its kind of a pain in the ass to get a kid who is possibly having an asthma attack to stay very still to get an accurate reading

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Malsua said:

I can't answer for him, but the ones I do know about are ALS/MD/MS and polio.    Polio was the reason for all the Iron Lungs used in the 1920s up through the late 50s.    Trauma is another thing that can cause it.  The nerve cluster that runs the diaphragm can get severed or damaged.  There's probably a bunch of things, most of which end up with the person dying so it tends not to be a chronic condition, the above examples aside of course.

ALS in my wife's case.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Damn matty, so sorry to hear that.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It runs in her family (10% of cases do), her mother died of ALS in 2011, and two other relatives years back. This is the 2nd time I have had to deal with this, much worse now with her only having a few weeks or months left. And 3 teens at home trying to get schoolwork done while locked out of school and I still have to work on site, etc....but enough whining.

I have learned more than I wanted to about genetic testing and ventilators and medications. There's no cure for ALS, of course, but each person is totally different in how it affects them. Her mother lost speech and ability to swallow long before she could not walk. My wife is unable to move any part of her body except one hand a little. She was able to speak and eat however, normally, until a few weeks ago. She does not want to go to a nursing home, so we have people coming in to help. It's still a major toll on her and everyone else. Get out and enjoy your lives and everyone while you can, don't live in fear.

• Agree 1