gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It runs in her family (10% of cases do), her mother died of ALS in 2011, and two other relatives years back. This is the 2nd time I have had to deal with this, much worse now with her only having a few weeks or months left. And 3 teens at home trying to get schoolwork done while locked out of school and I still have to work on site, etc....but enough whining.

I have learned more than I wanted to about genetic testing and ventilators and medications. There's no cure for ALS, of course, but each person is totally different in how it affects them. Her mother lost speech and ability to swallow long before she could not walk. My wife is unable to move any part of her body except one hand a little. She was able to speak and eat however, normally, until a few weeks ago. She does not want to go to a nursing home, so we have people coming in to help. It's still a major toll on her and everyone else. Get out and enjoy your lives and everyone while you can, don't live in fear.

You sir, your wife, and your whole family are in our prayers. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

@matty

The home route will most definitely strain all those involved. Some time in the future, all those involved will know it was worth the effort, will be glad they did it, and derive comfort equivalent to their sorrow. I speak from direct experience.

Do what you must. I am not a particularly religious man, but God bless you sir.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

The home route will most definitely strain all those involved. Some time in the future, all those involved will know it was worth the effort, will be glad they did it, and derive comfort equivalent to their sorrow. I speak from direct experience.

@matty - I too can attest to what was (so beautifully!) stated above. You are/will continue to be exhausted...  caretaking for a loved one and keeping them in their home is a truly selfless act. That said, caretakers need help, too! Make sure you're as generous with yourselves as you can be with the outside assistance. You can't take care of her if you don't care of yourselves. Best of luck to you.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, matty said:

ALS in my wife's case.

Sorry to hear that.   I've known two people who were caretakers for many many years, and I see the toll it took on them.  It can be super tough on everyone and the sick person often feels the worst about it.  It just sucks all around :(

So here is a LONG article discussing super spreader events and what that means.

https://quillette.com/2020/04/23/covid-19-superspreader-events-in-28-countries-critical-patterns-and-lessons/

Yes, I read the entire article.

I will summarize it for you.

Every Super spreader event was a large social event with lots of in your face personal interaction.  Parties, religious gatherings, etc.

Evidence seem to suggest that the primary mode of transmission is almost always large droplet from mouth A to large droplet to mouth B.   Even in cases where air conditioning or other air movers seem to be involved, it's not aerosols(tiny particles) causing transmission.

Noise seems to be a factor.  Meaning, people are speaking louder or singing.  Loud meat processing plants, parties, noisy events, etc.

Fomites(i.e. objects the get virus on them) don't appear to be the cause of super spreader events

Some things can be suggested by this.

Stay away from people who are speaking loud or singing.  If a crowd around you is signing the national anthem, it's murder time!  Run! hehe.

Cover your mouth, I.E. Masks work for both parties.

Social distance needs to be even further than 6 feet for coughing or sneezing.  We knew this already, but this just reaffirms it.

Gloves and surfaces not nearly as important in transmission.

2 hours ago, PeteF said:

Notice how the Docs are not "social distancing", are not wearing mask or gloves.

But by all means let the Kabuki theater continue.

Yeah well.... lets see...

35 to 40k die over 6mo.....flu.

We had that many in six weeks.....

A cherry picked narrative.......   somewhere there is some sense to all this......and it is NOT ignoring it...or acting like its NOTHING.

Ymmv

16 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

35 to 40k die over 6mo.....flu.

Actually, it's 30K to 60K over that time period.

17 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

We had that many in six weeks.....

Actually, no... try 3 months. First verified case was in the beginning of February (although many medical professionals say it was here last Nov. or Dec., but no one was testing for it).

19 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

A cherry picked narrative.......   somewhere there is some sense to all this......and it is NOT ignoring it...or acting like its NOTHING.

Here's a fun fact, Dr. Fauci, on a interview the first week in January on CNN said this year's flu season was going to be as bad as 2017-2018, where 60K died. Now, 3 months later, the CDC said flu deaths were 24K.... so, where did all those projected deaths go????

6 hours ago, Sniper. said:

...Here's a fun fact, Dr. Fauci, on a interview the first week in January on CNN said this year's flu season was going to be as bad as 2017-2018, where 60K died. Now, 3 months later, the CDC said flu deaths were 24K.... so, where did all those projected deaths go????

Right into the COVID-19 column in order to take advantage of the Federal subsidy, of course.

This whole thing has been transformed into a HUUUUUGE money grab by those who can.

And it's our children's and grandchildren's money they're grabbing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sniper. said:

Actually, it's 30K to 60K over that time period.

Actually, no... try 3 months. First verified case was in the beginning of February (although many medical professionals say it was here last Nov. or Dec., but no one was testing for it).

Here's a fun fact, Dr. Fauci, on a interview the first week in January on CNN said this year's flu season was going to be as bad as 2017-2018, where 60K died. Now, 3 months later, the CDC said flu deaths were 24K.... so, where did all those projected deaths go????

Cote the reference please that it was here lady nov....which i do believe.

Your kind of splitting hairs....don't you think?

So you still think this was no worse than the flu?

Are you on the team that thinks this is all a pack of lies to destroy trump?

Seriously what do you think this all is?

I don't have an answer for your last question....who knows....  those that play with figures tend to skew them for their own narrative

Late is the hour in which you chose to prepare.

---------

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-tyson-foods/tyson-warns-of-u-s-meat-shortages-as-coronavirus-shuts-livestock-plants-idUSKCN22920C

Quoting twister "It's already here!"

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Millions of pounds of beef, pork and chicken will vanish from U.S. grocery stores as livestock and poultry processing plants have been shuttered by coronavirus outbreaks among workers, the chairman of Tyson Foods Inc said.

FILE PHOTO: A shopper picks over the few items remaining in the meat section, as people stock up on supplies amid coronavirus fears, at an Austin, Texas, grocery store on March 13, 2020. REUTERS/Brad Brooks

John Tyson warned that the U.S. “food supply chain is breaking” as a growing number of plant closures have left farmers with fewer options to market and process livestock.

Tyson Foods announced last week that it would shutter two pork processing plants, including its largest in the United States, and a beef facility to contain the spread of the virus.

Other major meat processors like JBS USA [JBS.UL] and Smithfield Foods have closed facilities in recent weeks as cases of COVID-19, the potentially lethal respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, have soared among plant workers.

More than 5,000 U.S. meat and food-processing workers have been infected with or exposed to the virus, and 13 have died, the country’s largest meatpacking union said Thursday.

Companies say they are checking workers’ temperatures, working with local health officials and taking other steps to prevent the spread of the virus.

It is unclear how soon meat processing plants may reopen.

“There will be limited supply of our products available in grocery stores until we are able to reopen our facilities that are currently closed,” John Tyson said in a release published on Sunday.

“In addition to meat shortages, this is a serious food waste issue. Farmers across the nation simply will not have anywhere to sell their livestock to be processed, when they could have fed the nation,” he said.

Tyson shares are down more than 34% since the beginning of the year but have recovered from a more than four-year low hit in March.

Heads up

Restaurant depot is now open to the general public. Last week they had amply supply of pork loins and butts, chicken (whole, breast, thighs and wings)  and beef. They also had farm raised Chilean salmon fillets. This was in Hackensack. It may vary by location.

Speaking of chicken wings, there's millions of pounds of wings unsold because of all sport events and house parties related to them that were cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Millions of pounds of beef, pork and chicken will vanish from U.S. grocery stores as livestock and poultry processing plants have been shuttered

They have not shuttered them all.  The remaining plants have the capacity to ship wholesale cuts to grocery stores where the final cuts will be made.  Just like the old days.... (sigh) like in the 80's.

People will just have to learn how to cut up a whole chicken with a cleaver and use their fancy pants food processors and KitchenAids to make ground beef and sausage. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

People will just have to learn how to cut up a whole chicken with a cleaver and use their fancy pants food processors and KitchenAids to make ground beef and sausage. 

There will be a bee line to the emergency room for severed fingers.

6 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

They have not shuttered them all.  The remaining plants have the capacity to ship wholesale cuts to grocery stores where the final cuts will be made.  Just like the old days.... (sigh) like in the 80's.

My ACME cuts a LOT of meat in store.   There was a week that no chicken was to be found, then it all came back.  Fully stocked yesterday.  It's the only grocery I go to, so I don't know  how other stores are getting along, probably just the same. 

I just posted this since I've been banging on this particular pot for at least a month.  The date I was seeing was 1st week in May when most of the stock will be depleted.

5 hours ago, WP22 said:

Heads up

Restaurant depot is now open to the general public. Last week they had amply supply of pork loins and butts, chicken (whole, breast, thighs and wings)  and beef. They also had farm raised Chilean salmon fillets. This was in Hackensack. It may vary by location.

Speaking of chicken wings, there's millions of pounds of wings unsold because of all sport events and house parties related to them that were cancelled.

I shop at their Langhorne,PA location and a week ago they had all of the above as well. Very good price on produce as well.

On the 1st of the month they issue a monthly flyer on their website with meat and other specials....

• Informative 1

On 4/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, WP22 said:

Heads up

Wife was out running weekly errands yesterday.  I suggested she check out Restaurant Depot and pick up some "chicken breast & brisket".  I've never made brisket and now seems now if the perfect time to try.  Not doing much else.

Well, she come home with over $500 worth of meat and a few veggies.  LOL.    

Between that and the vension in the chest freezer I don't think we don't need to go out for some time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:I've never made brisket and now seems now if the perfect time to try.  Not doing much else.

Ahhhh, brisket....when done right, it’s the meat of kings! 

It’s really not difficult to churn out a good bbq brisket. Low and slow is your friend, don’t panic during the stall. 
Smoker at 240-250°, let the meat get to 200°, then wrap it in foil, and a towel, and place it in an empty ice chest for a few hours to rest. 

How you rub it is up to you, but good old S&P is plain wonderful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

Ahhhh, brisket....when done right, it’s the meat of kings! 

It’s really not difficult to churn out a good bbq brisket. Low and slow is your friend, don’t panic during the stall. 
Smoker at 240-250°, let the meat get to 200°, then wrap it in foil, and a towel, and place it in an empty ice chest for a few hours to rest. 

How you rub it is up to you, but good old S&P is plain wonderful. 

I heard boiling works well?  JK, JK.

I don't have a smoker.  Regular propane tank grill and oven.  I'll be looking for some recipes.  I do LOVE brisket in restaurants.

She also purchased rib roast / steaks (22.5 pounds).  We are going to cut some as steaks & some as roasts.

She also purchased HUGE pork and beef loins, pepperonni, salami, a HUGE block of cheese, a regular sized ham roast, thick cut bacon, beef hotdogs and a few other things.  Going to be some good eats!