gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

If you don’t have a smoker, you can still ‘smoke’ a brisket on a gas grill. 
Take an aluminum pie plate, and punch some holes in the bottom of it, use wood chips. Whatever you like, but I prefer hickory. 
Meat is cooked indirectly...put the pie plate over the fire. Same rules apply...low and slow...get it to 200°. I have even ‘smoked’ the meat for 5-6 hours on the grill, then finished in a 225° oven until you reach 200°. You won’t get the same lovely smoke ring, but you’ll wind up with a nice, tender brisket. 

The two important things are: 

A)temperature, both of heat  source and the brisket. 

B) Wrapping the meat and letting it rest for a few hours. 

Follow those rules and you almost can’t mess it up. Just don’t put the damn thing in a crock pot....

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I made my first visit to  Restaurant Depot last week.   Wow-quite a place.  I'll need to get back when I have more time; it's cool just wandering through the aisles.  An hour isn't enough.

Among other things, I came back with a whole tenderloin (grilled up a few of those steaks last night) and a whole brisket.   That looks like it could take 18 hours or so on the Weber smoker (it's hard to get it up much above 240 F), unless I finish in the oven.

I smoked baby back ribs last weekend; three meals worth this past week, and a whole rack frozen for leftovers.   I'm smoking chicken leg/thigh quarters today, along with my first attempt at stuffed onions, since I brought home 10 lbs for $4 from Restaurant Depot.   The 50 lb bags were $14...

• Like 1

Great score!!!! I need to go to one. My wife has a business license and tax id number. I’d love to see how good their meat is. 

I usually buy bulk meat at BJ’s Wholesale club, it’s damn good!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Great score!!!! I need to go to one. My wife has a business license and tax id number. I’d love to see how good their meat is. 

I usually buy bulk meat at BJ’s Wholesale club, it’s damn good!

Local is next to harbor freight on 38 in cherry hill

For now, restaurant depot is letting the general public in.  Not sure how long that will last, probably until the restaurants reopen, but you just walk in, go to customer service, and they hand you a day pass. No need for a membership or tax ID

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Local is next to harbor freight on 38 in cherry hill

That is Restaurant Equipper's Warehouse Store. They do not sell food.

Restaurant Depot/Jetro is in Pennsauken NJ at 1070 Thomas Busch Memorial Hwy.

6 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Wife was out running weekly errands yesterday.  I suggested she check out Restaurant Depot and pick up some "chicken breast & brisket".  I've never made brisket and now seems now if the perfect time to try.  Not doing much else.

Well, she come home with over $500 worth of meat and a few veggies.  LOL.    

Between that and the vension in the chest freezer I don't think we don't need to go out for some time.

What did you say your address was, Glenn?  :friends:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

If you don’t have a smoker, you can still ‘smoke’ a brisket on a gas grill. 
Take an aluminum pie plate, and punch some holes in the bottom of it, use wood chips. Whatever you like, but I prefer hickory. 
Meat is cooked indirectly...put the pie plate over the fire. Same rules apply...low and slow...get it to 200°. I have even ‘smoked’ the meat for 5-6 hours on the grill, then finished in a 225° oven until you reach 200°. You won’t get the same lovely smoke ring, but you’ll wind up with a nice, tender brisket. 

The two important things are: 

A)temperature, both of heat  source and the brisket. 

B) Wrapping the meat and letting it rest for a few hours. 

Follow those rules and you almost can’t mess it up. Just don’t put the damn thing in a crock pot....

So I was in Dallas last October for a trade show.  We ran all over the place trying to find good bbq, and we did get some pretty good stuff.

Then we found the REALLY good stuff was at Lockhart Smokehouse BBQ.   I wish I could duplicate that.  Frickin awesome.

16 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’ve never been to Lockhart Smokehouse., but I hear amazing things about them. I’ll go next time I’m in Texas. 

Strange dining experience, for me anyway.  You go in the back to get your meat from a counter.  You buy drinks from the bar.  You jump on a table if it opens.  The line stretches to the door much of the time and for good reason.   Not only is the price reasonable, the brisket is divine.   You eat it from the brown butcher paper.   We couldn't eat all of it and it was probably less than $20 for two of us.

bbq.jpg

• Like 1

My bad.  She didn't get brisket.  :(

She got 8 pounds of pork tenderloin.  8 pounds of beef tenderloin.  10 pounds?  of short rib chuck and 22 1/3 pounds of prime rib and some other stuff.

Note to self.  Make sure you have good, sharp knives next time you need to cut up  22 1/3 pounds of prime rib.

This is what you will be getting yourself into.  Hopefully well worth it.

• Informative 1

13 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

My bad.  She didn't get brisket.  :(

She got 8 pounds of pork tenderloin.  8 pounds of beef tenderloin.  10 pounds?  of short rib chuck and 22 1/3 pounds of prime rib and some other stuff.

Note to self.  Make sure you have good, sharp knives next time you need to cut up  22 1/3 pounds of prime rib.

This is what you will be getting yourself into.  Hopefully well worth it.

Learn to sharpen knives... ask @Displaced Texan if my stuff is sharp 

22 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

One of the four beef short rib boneless chuck roasts are in the oven.

Seared both sided first on the grill.

3 hours at 250 degrees sound about right?  I guess it's between 4-5 pounds.  I started it around 4pm.

Doing this, but in the oven.

Don’t let these smoker snobs dissuade you GP supa!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

One of the four beef short rib boneless chuck roasts are in the oven.

Seared both sided first on the grill.

3 hours at 250 degrees sound about right?  I guess it's between 4-5 pounds.  I started it around 4pm.

Doing this, but in the oven.

Do it up, brother!! We are gonna need dinner pics!