gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

I just did a massive shop out here in Hunterdon County. I wasn't really planning on it today, but as I was banking this afternoon, I noticed the parking lot of my grocery store was relatively empty. So, I made a quick list and got to it. First time shopping with a mask - eek! I found it quite claustrophobic, frankly.. which gave me a new appreciation for those who are masked all day in their jobs.

Anyway, definitely some changes from 4 weeks ago (last time I was shopping). First of all, I was able to buy cleaning/disinfecting products - there wasn't a TON, but there were Lysol and Clorox spray products and also bleach was back (lightly) in stock. So, that was good.  Just like 4 weeks ago, there was a major shortage problem with most paper goods. I really don't understand this. These things are made in the US for goodness sakes. Is this ONLY a result of hoarding? There was a small pile of just one brand of paper towels (better than last time when there was none). There were no napkins that I saw. And how's this for strange... there was not one solitary roll of toilet paper in that entire store... and yet, right next to where the toilet tissue should have been, there was a veritable mountain of facial tissue. I guess people don't realize it's the same damn product but in a different form? :facepalm:

Oh, and the meat section - at least at this store - had pretty much turned into the "chicken only section". There was an occasional odd package of other meat products, but pretty much the pork and beef sections were obliterated. I guess we'll be seeing more of this to come. Surreal. Next time, I won't wait 4 weeks... and I'll try to hit a store in the morning hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I just did a massive shop out here in Hunterdon County. I wasn't really planning on it today, but as I was banking this afternoon, I noticed the parking lot of my grocery store was relatively empty. So, I made a quick list and got to it. First time shopping with a mask - eek! I found it quite claustrophobic, frankly.. which gave me a new appreciation for those who are masked all day in their jobs.

Anyway, definitely some changes from 4 weeks ago (last time I was shopping). First of all, I was able to buy cleaning/disinfecting products - there wasn't a TON, but there were Lysol and Clorox spray products and also bleach was back (lightly) in stock. So, that was good.  Just like 4 weeks ago, there was a major shortage problem with most paper goods. I really don't understand this. These things are made in the US for goodness sakes. Is this ONLY a result of hoarding? There was a small pile of just one brand of paper towels (better than last time when there was none). There were no napkins that I saw. And how's this for strange... there was not one solitary roll of toilet paper in that entire store... and yet, right next to where the toilet tissue should have been, there was a veritable mountain of facial tissue. I guess people don't realize it's the same damn product but in a different form? :facepalm:

Oh, and the meat section - at least at this store - had pretty much turned into the "chicken only section". There was an occasional odd package of other meat products, but pretty much the pork and beef sections were obliterated. I guess we'll be seeing more of this to come. Surreal. Next time, I won't wait 4 weeks... and I'll try to hit a store in the morning hours.

Be friends with the local farmers.....  ;)

They can and will take care of you of you take care of them.

We rationed during ww2 for 4 years amd LONGER......they survived.....so can we.

You got this !

This article, albeit a month old, does a pretty good job explaining the economics of the toilet paper business. 

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

Since the article was written a month ago, the same shortages also happened in the commercial market. Consumers, after exhausting the retail supply, started buying whatever commercial grade product they could find either by walking into wholesalers or buying it through their workplaces. Small independent grocers did as well to have something on the self. 

Some manufacturers (SCA) moved some of their commercial production to retail to meet that demand causing shortages on the commercial end of it. 

It has been a mess. 

• Informative 1

@Mrs. Peel

I've been wearing a mask for weeks. You'll get used to it. I also require my customers to wear them. No mask, no service. 

I just bought 10 pounds of Ribeye at Safeway for $5/pound. Everything is stocked here,  including TP, water, and meat.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

. First time shopping with a mask - eek! I found it quite claustrophobic, frankly.. which gave me a new appreciation for those who are masked all day in their jobs.

You get used to it.  I've been required to wear masks at work for almost 2 months at this point and I've been wearing one to shop  for about the same length of time.  Fortunately my office is a "Green zone" and I don't let anyone in it and I can take my mask off.   We do have people on the floor who must wear one all day and I find their discipline to be lacking.     I start seeing noses out, or masks pulled down, etc.   It's starting to become a bigger problem.

and yet, right next to where the toilet tissue should have been, there was a veritable mountain of facial tissue. I guess people don't realize it's the same damn product but in a different form? :facepalm:

Uhm.   I suppose you could use it for that, but I suspect  you'd get a high frequency of poke throughs.     I prepared so I won't be facing that dilemma.

I have been beating on this topic here and elsewhere for at least a month specifically about meat and since late January in general about preparation.    This week(5/3/20) was my expected target "meat week" where shelves would start to have spotty stock, resembling the toilet paper situation.   It is NOT going to get better for a while.   There was a picture yesterday I saw of one farmer with a giant pile of thousands of dead hogs waiting to be taken to the dump.  All wasted.  I think it was a current pic and not from a disease cull or something.

The larger point is that FDA regulation, i.e. our government is causing this kind of waste.   The reason?  The FDA requires that all meat processed for grocery stores must go to FDA approved slaughterhouses that have on-site inspectors.    This should be temporarily lifted so that the supply chain could "fill in".   It would also allow stores that do their own meat cutting to get whole animals directly from farms.   The big pushback here will be scare stories about unsafe butchering and that will mostly come from the big slaughterhouses and commercial meat producers. They don't like their gravy train cut into.

• Like 1

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

Free galling?

Nothing worse than the band on the undies streching out.  Once things are set free, it ends up like that Henry Rollins off road tattoo thing from Jackass.  Nothing ever needs to be handled that way.

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Isn’t that the purpose of eating chili?

If that's the purpose, wouldn't you put beans in it?

• Informative 1

See what I mean? Geez louise… this was a perfectly nice prepping thread... and then... whoop, there it is: the dreaded bathroom humor!  Farting cowboys? Really? I mean, what the heck is wrong with you people?! :facepalm:  Shame, shame!

Get this thread back on topic, please! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

See what I mean? Geez louise… this was a perfectly nice prepping thread... and then... whoop, there it is: the dreaded bathroom humor!  Farting cowboys? Really? I mean, what the heck is wrong with you people?! :facepalm:  Shame, shame!

Sorry Mrs. Peel,

Potty humor is a guy thing that we never outgrow!  Girls could never understand!:lol:

• Agree 2
  • FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Peel. That’s “Blazing Saddles” a comedy masterpiece. That’s culture, not potty humor.

If we are prepping for the end times, we need to make sure that fine art and culture survive as well.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Peel. That’s “Blazing Saddles” a comedy masterpiece. That’s culture, not potty humor.

If we are prepping for the end times, we need to make sure that fine art and culture survive as well.

Mel Brooks!!! A comic genius!!!

"The Producers" is one of the funniest movies ever made.  I've seen it at least 20 times.  Having seen it is one thing.  Then I saw it on Broadway.

You have to see the "Dancing Swastika" live!!!

• Like 1

Here's a related item.  In some ways it's a prep.

There is  a chain local to my house in Florida.  I've never been there, but it appeared to be a sorta upscale version of the golden trough.  I mean, Golden feed bucket.  Sorry, that's not right, Golden Feedbox?  Anyway, that place with all the co-mingled foods served buffet style.  You know, where if someone has too much liquid on their plate, they just hold their food back with their hand and tilt the plate so the water runs back into the corn container.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/05/08/sweet-tomatoes-closing-for-good-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-report-says/?outputType=amp

“The FDA had previously put out recommendations that included discontinuing self-serve stations, like self-serve beverages in fast food, but they specifically talked about salad bars and buffets,” said John Haywood, CEO of Garden Fresh, said to the San Diego Tribune. “The regulations are understandable, but unfortunately, it makes it very difficult to reopen. And I’m not sure the health departments are ever going to allow it.

This means, going forward, all those Chinese buffets, and salad bars, and maybe even serve your own drinks may be gone.  I mean, who didn't love eating Sushi that sat under a heat lamp that everyone has been breathing on?

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Mel Brooks!!! A comic genius!!!

"The Producers" is one of the funniest movies ever made.  I've seen it at least 20 times.  Having seen it is one thing.  Then I saw it on Broadway.

You have to see the "Dancing Swastika" live!!!

DUrKh9TW4AAtjQu.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Here's a related item.  In some ways it's a prep.

There is  a chain local to my house in Florida.  I've never been there, but it appeared to be a sorta upscale version of the golden trough.  I mean, Golden feed bucket.  Sorry, that's not right, Golden Feedbox?  Anyway, that place with all the co-mingled foods served buffet style.  You know, where if someone has too much liquid on their plate, they just hold their food back with their hand and tilt the plate so the water runs back into the corn container.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/05/08/sweet-tomatoes-closing-for-good-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-report-says/?outputType=amp

This means, going forward, all those Chinese buffets, and salad bars, and maybe even serve your own drinks may be gone.  I mean, who didn't love eating Sushi that sat under a heat lamp that everyone has been breathing on?

It is probably for the best...the three times i ever ate at a buffet i got sick  2 chinese and one cruise..... never ever will do either again

• Like 1

I watched this one last night from Dr Chris Martenson, he's reporting on the Eastern Virginia Medical School COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines.  I've linked the video at the starting point, watch 12 minutes if you don't want to see the entire video.  Everyone should watch this.  It's a great synthesis of how this disease should be treated.  It also has guidelines for "in home" prophylaxis that we all can use, today.   Here is a direct link to the guidelines.  https://www.evms.edu/covid-19/medical_information_resources/#covidcare

The video is well worth the watch.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

46 minutes ago, Malsua said:

This means, going forward, all those Chinese buffets, and salad bars, and maybe even serve your own drinks may be gone

Man, that sucks for the Chinese mafia.  Buffets are their main vehicle for bringing indentured servants into the USA.