gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

9 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Man, that sucks for the Chinese mafia.  Buffets are their main vehicle for bringing indentured servants into the USA.

I figured the buffets were just on the hierarchy.   First you start at the yanky cranky shops, then you progress to the nail salons and then finally the buffets.  After they get too ugly they stick them in a hole somewhere to sew or clean toilets.

33 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I watched this one last night from Dr Chris Martenson, he's reporting on the Eastern Virginia Medical School COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines.  I've linked the video at the starting point, watch 12 minutes if you don't want to see the entire video.  Everyone should watch this.  It's a great synthesis of how this disease should be treated.  It also has guidelines for "in home" prophylaxis that we all can use, today.   Here is a direct link to the guidelines.  https://www.evms.edu/covid-19/medical_information_resources/#covidcare

The video is well worth the watch.

As an addendum, the only thing I've been having trouble sourcing at a reasonable price is Quercitin.  This is an IONOPHORE which helps to shove zinc into your cells where it disrupts viral replication.  It's probably the most important thing to have if you want to avoid this disease.   If anyone has a good suggestion, let me know.

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i sometimes think that there are no movies funnier than mel brooks movies.

which leads to question....why was there never a history of the world pt2?

Same reason that Spaceballs 2 never happened.  Don't mess with perfection!

• Agree 1

Remember when curfew was effectively voluntary?  Then it was mandatory?

Remember when personal PPE was voluntary?  Then it was mandatory?

Remember when you could buy as much paper as you wanted?  Then there were limits?

I give you the meat situation, currently voluntary.  Guess what's next?

meat.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Remember when you could buy as much paper as you wanted?  Then there were limits?

meat.jpg

Even though..they have product...  ...... 

So do some local.places....and the woods...

11 hours ago, Malsua said:

As an addendum, the only thing I've been having trouble sourcing at a reasonable price is Quercitin.  This is an IONOPHORE which helps to shove zinc into your cells where it disrupts viral replication.  It's probably the most important thing to have if you want to avoid this disease.   If anyone has a good suggestion, let me know.

What's the deal with vit D????

6 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Even though..they have product...  ...... 

So do some local.places....and the woods...

What's the deal with vit D????

You need to be taking 1000-4000mcg of it every day for a healthy immune system.  I really recommend everyone watch that video I linked above  or at least 12 minutes of it from the watch point.  Chris has done entire vids on vitamins, but that link covers what EVMS says about it.

Also, you can watch what DR John campbell has to say about dosing but it's a long, detailed video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bga_qG30JyY

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Malsua said:

meat.jpg

Thought I had read that one of the largest pork processing’s factories had shut down.   Then Inthought I had heard of another one. I’d suspect that unless processing is done by robots, social distancing is affecting processing rates. 

Seems that limited supply is entirely plausible.  

1 minute ago, JHZR2 said:

Thought I had read that one of the largest pork processing’s factories had shut down.   Then Inthought I had heard of another one. I’d suspect that unless processing is done by robots, social distancing is affecting processing rates. 

Seems that limited supply is entirely plausible.  

If you read back through this thread and the other Wuhan one, you will note, that I have been saying all along that the meat supply is in some level of jeopardy.  When the shutdown began there was a large stockpile of meat available.  That stockpile was whittled away by mid April.  As processing plants have been shutdown due to this Virus it was inevitable that shortages would occur.  Everything I was reading suggested that the first week to 10 days of May is where it would begin.

See here on April 4 when the first articles about meat were coming into focus: 

On 5/9/2020 at 7:32 PM, Malsua said:

meat.jpg

I was limited at our local Stop N Shop Saturday for meat.  I do have rabbits and a .22 though.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:32 PM, Malsua said:

If you read back through this thread and the other Wuhan one, you will note, that I have been saying all along that the meat supply is in some level of jeopardy.  When the shutdown began there was a large stockpile of meat available.  That stockpile was whittled away by mid April.  As processing plants have been shutdown due to this Virus it was inevitable that shortages would occur.  Everything I was reading suggested that the first week to 10 days of May is where it would begin.

See here on April 4 when the first articles about meat were coming into focus: 

That’s fine - but there are reasonable and “rational” explanations behind it.  Hopefully most people were prepared.  I suspect that the population at large is marginally so.  That is what it is at this point.  Fortunately, people are highly adaptable to all sorts of things in their diets. 

So long as the pigs, cows, chickens and lamb are all going on living, not diseased, and are reproducing, this is a temporary matter that will pass.  If there’s widespread disease or reduction in the stock of animals, that’s a different problem. 

Your concern resonated with some of us, and some have freezers filled with “stuff”. It’s the best we can do at this point...

3 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

That’s fine - but there are reasonable and “rational” explanations behind it.  Hopefully most people were prepared.  I suspect that the population at large is marginally so.  That is what it is at this point.  Fortunately, people are highly adaptable to all sorts of things in their diets. 

So long as the pigs, cows, chickens and lamb are all going on living, not diseased, and are reproducing, this is a temporary matter that will pass.  If there’s widespread disease or reduction in the stock of animals, that’s a different problem. 

Your concern resonated with some of us, and some have freezers filled with “stuff”. It’s the best we can do at this point...

I will also say that I don't believe we will have starvation or anything like that either.    This is mostly a convenience thing and that probably won't change.   If you like Pork Chops?   They may or may not be in the store when you go.   They are there sometimes, they do exist, you just have to plan ahead.  Shrug, go home, pull it out of the freeze because you planned :)

There are a number of people I work with who, prior to this situation, would get dinner on the way home from work. _THAT_ boggles my mind.

I grew up on a farm in the 70s and shopping for 2 weeks was normal.   Picking up dinner on the way home was not possible, at least not until the the very late 80s.    There was no fast food within 25 miles, no little delis, nothing.     Now, even where I lived, there are take out pizza places within 10 minutes and fast food within 20 .   There is even a sit down restaurant close by.    Of course, the farm I grew up on was divided half a dozen ways and there is now a house in the middle of a field I spent hours and hours discing.  It breaks my heart to look at the place now.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I was limited at our local Stop N Shop Saturday for meat.  I do have rabbits and a .22 though.

I wonder how much the president's order is going to make a difference?   One practical benefit of fresh food/meat is that it cannot be hoarded easily and from what I can tell, it's pretty much impossible to get a freezer these days.

With luck, the combination of these factors will keep the outages to a minimum.   If it continues to remain voluntary or at least just some limiting, I think we can all live with that.    If it looks like Soviet Russia, the natives might get restless.

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

Great minds think alike. My solution was the rabbits in my backyard, and a crossbow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

I will also say that I don't believe we will have starvation or anything like that either.    This is mostly a convenience thing and that probably won't change.   If you like Pork Chops?   They may or may not be in the store when you go.   They are there sometimes, they do exist, you just have to plan ahead.  Shrug, go home, pull it out of the freeze because you planned :)

There are a number of people I work with who, prior to this situation, would get dinner on the way home from work. _THAT_ boggles my mind.

I grew up on a farm in the 70s and shopping for 2 weeks was normal.   Picking up dinner on the way home was not possible, at least not until the the very late 80s.    There was no fast food within 25 miles, no little delis, nothing.     Now, even where I lived, there are take out pizza places within 10 minutes and fast food within 20 .   There is even a sit down restaurant close by.    Of course, the farm I grew up on was divided half a dozen ways and there is now a house in the middle of a field I spent hours and hours discing.  It breaks my heart to look at the place now.

is 25 weeks of stores too much?  Asking for a friend  ;)

Also as kinda meat eaters....we do not eat that much of it - it doesnt hurt that badly.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

If you like Pork Chops?   They may or may not be in the store when you go. 

The cuts are getting weird.  My wife bought two slabs of pork spare ribs yesterday, the cut was like a standing rib roast.  They are leaving way more fat and skin on chicken.  Plenty of steak, but it all looked pale.  Lots of cartilage in ground beef.

2 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

is 25 weeks of stores too much?  Asking for a friend  ;)

Also as kinda meat eaters....we do not eat that much of it - it doesnt hurt that badly.

25 Weeks is great....for newbie ;)

Actually, I think having 60 days on hand is enough.   If we really get to a point that you'd eat all that and couldn't get more?  We're in Road Warrior territory and nothing matters much.

I'm quite sure people think I'm some kind of panicky Pete.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I like being prepared, it gives me options.  I literally could have stayed in my house since early March.  The larder would have been getting pretty bare by this point, but we'd not have starved.   Had this virus been airborne Ebola, you can bet that's EXACTLY what I would have done. 

As it stands, I've been working the entire time except for a week when I was potentially exposed.  I also have to admit it's a puzzle or a logic problem that I like to figure out.  How do I navigate to the best solution?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

The cuts are getting weird.  My wife bought two slabs of pork spare ribs yesterday, the cut was like a standing rib roast.  They are leaving way more fat and skin on chicken.  Plenty of steak, but it all looked pale.  Lots of cartilage in ground beef.

It's probably the "second string" of meat cutters working now.   They are working faster and not being as diligent.   Cut it up, package it, get it out, trimming be damned.   Again, also to be expected.    The situation will probably get a little worse and then become the new normal for the next few months.   Bigger cuts.  Expect lots of tenderloin cryo bags, more pork shoulders, bigger roasts, etc.   With less time to work and more meat to process, reducing cuts is the only way to fill demand.     Got some mutant pork chops Saturday.  Wife and I may just split one they are that damn big.

Here is a good video from the perspective of a cattle guy:

Basically he is saying that there are only four meat processing companies left (down from 90+), thanks to mergers.  They basically can control the supply by simply not buying product from the ranchers.  It could be that the employees are too scared to show up for work, or the plants can simply slow down or stop at their will.

39 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Basically he is saying that there are only four meat processing companies left (down from 90+), thanks to mergers.  They basically can control the supply by simply not buying product from the ranchers.  It could be that the employees are too scared to show up for work, or the plants can simply slow down or stop at their will.

And they would be right.

For what it's worth, I bought a 10lb bag of chicken leg/thigh quarters for  $8 today.    Clearly, they are re-routing restaurant food into the grocery route.  Also, it's easier and faster to just quarter entire chickens than to debone and whatnot.  I expect to see more and more of this.

The interesting thing I also found, there was very little of the CHOICE beef, i.e. the normal stuff, but there was a metric ton of PRIME out today.  PRIME Is what you get in restaurants.  The issue I have with this was $18.99/lb for Ribeye.  If they want to move the meat, put it on sale for $9/lb and watch it disappear or better yet, just label it choice.   I think they did that anyway, as I did find some well-marbled strips that were CHOICE that looked exactly like the prime.

I think there's going to be more meat chaos before there is less.  It's just a matter of how bad.  It could go from annoying to downright shitty.

4 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

Pretty well jives with what a couple of my friends in the cattle industry are saying. 
The meat packers are bottlenecked at the moment, for a variety of reasons. Cattle ranchers are getting beat because they still have to feed and maintain their herds, but the meat packers aren’t buying. 
Some are selling direct to individuals, and small processing houses are handling the butchering. 

All in all, I think it’s going to take awhile for that market to bounce back...but it will eventually. As it was pointed out before, the beef that was slated for restaurant industry is showing up in grocery stores, but once that run is dried up, I think beef prices will get pretty high if packers don’t get up to speed in a timely fashion. 

Thankfully, we got out of the business of raising meat goats awhile back. I’m just leasing my property for grazing rights, but I’m concerned that might be in jeopardy, if the small timers decide the market will take too long to recover. There’s always the oil and gas market....oh wait....lol

12 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

That’s sad, but it makes sense.  Need to make space for the younger ones getting bigger.  It’s not apparent to me how long a more mature hog is “good for” before harvest. I get the care and feeding attribute.  There’s plenty of free space in most rural areas, one would hope they could build additional structures for care (dont need to be fancy, think colonial era), and give them a bit more time. 

Does anyone know processors in NJ/PA, where we could buy “a pig”, or maybe “half a cow”?  Would be nice to deal with a smaller processor and stock up on these animals versus seeing them euthanized and incinerated or buried.