gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

On 5/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, JHZR2 said:

That’s sad, but it makes sense.  Need to make space for the younger ones getting bigger.  It’s not apparent to me how long a more mature hog is “good for” before harvest. I get the care and feeding attribute.  There’s plenty of free space in most rural areas, one would hope they could build additional structures for care (dont need to be fancy, think colonial era), and give them a bit more time. 

Does anyone know processors in NJ/PA, where we could buy “a pig”, or maybe “half a cow”?  Would be nice to deal with a smaller processor and stock up on these animals versus seeing them euthanized and incinerated or buried.

I've got a crunchy granola friend who has a friend that sells privately.  If this gets serious, I'm on the call list.

Friend of mine who lives near the Poconos gets a half cow each summer. I think the rancher does the butchering too.   I can give him a call if you are interested.  Not sure what it costs.  He is about 30 miles north of where route 78 crosses the river, just for reference.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, JHZR2 said:

Does anyone know processors in NJ/PA, where we could buy “a pig”, or maybe “half a cow”?  Would be nice to deal with a smaller processor and stock up on these animals versus seeing them euthanized and incinerated or buried.

https://www.mohrswidowmaker.com

Might try giving these guys a call. They raise pigs,and other animals and release them on an island for people to "hunt". I'm guessing that they have been affected by the covid19 shutdown and might need to offload some of their animals. 

At the sussex country fair you can purchase(auction) animals and they will butcher the cuts for you... Its pretty common, im sure who ever participates and sells livestock would deal directly with you. 

A good friend of mine gets 6 pigs around this time of year and butchers them in the fall. They stopped buying cattle because their properties exclusively horses now, but all that Is very plentiful up here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeteF said:

And the flip and flop Center does it again.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces

But of course we should follow thier "guidlines" in all aspects.

The CDC caught up.

Here's what I posted on the 26 of April in this thread.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:04 AM, Malsua said:

So here is a LONG article discussing super spreader events and what that means.

https://quillette.com/2020/04/23/covid-19-superspreader-events-in-28-countries-critical-patterns-and-lessons/

Yes, I read the entire article.

I will summarize it for you.

Every Super spreader event was a large social event with lots of in your face personal interaction.  Parties, religious gatherings, etc.

Evidence seem to suggest that the primary mode of transmission is almost always large droplet from mouth A to large droplet to mouth B.   Even in cases where air conditioning or other air movers seem to be involved, it's not aerosols(tiny particles) causing transmission.

Noise seems to be a factor.  Meaning, people are speaking louder or singing.  Loud meat processing plants, parties, noisy events, etc.

Fomites(i.e. objects the get virus on them) don't appear to be the cause of super spreader events

Some things can be suggested by this.

Stay away from people who are speaking loud or singing.  If a crowd around you is signing the national anthem, it's murder time!  Run! hehe.

Cover your mouth, I.E. Masks work for both parties.

Social distance needs to be even further than 6 feet for coughing or sneezing.  We knew this already, but this just reaffirms it.

Gloves and surfaces not nearly as important in transmission.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

The CDC caught up.

Here's what I posted on the 26 of April in this thread.

And how about February's Masks are not important?  Or pretty much every one of their "recommendations" is the exact wrong thing to do?  Super spreader events?  Is that the new term for people enjoying life?  

Everything about this is pure CYA to cover up supreme incompetence

One of these pictures is a super spreader event, the other is observing appropriate behaviors.

Can you tell them apart?

download.jpgdownload (1).jpg

8 minutes ago, PeteF said:

And how about February's Masks are not important?  Or pretty much every one of their "recommendations" is the exact wrong thing to do?

That was a lie to prevent a run on masks.

Listen, I still think they are an abominable organization.  The fact is numerous sources have been saying this EXACT thing for a while now.   A stopped clock is right twice a day.  The facts finally overwhelmed the agenda.

The bottom lines is that the  primary routes of infection are NOT FOMITES.  You don't have to sanitize your mail or your groceries or even wear gloves when you are out.  You should still keep unclean fingers away from your face holes(mouth, nose, eyes) but even if you don't, it's probably not that big of a deal.

It shows that barriers and distance work.  Also, the evidence is very strong that outside activities are essentially zero risk.  What to avoid is large gatherings, indoors where lots of people are speaking loudly or singing.   If you do go to one of those...wear a damn mask or stay 20 feet from everyone who isn't wearing a mask.  Mask it or casket in those situations.

13 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

So, I can stop Lysol'ing my mail? :rofl:

Oh, good!

Or wearing gloves in general when out as virus precaution.  Fine for warmth or style, but nitrile gloves to stop infection aren't doing anything. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

Listen, I still think they are an abominable organization.  The fact is numerous sources have been saying this EXACT thing for a while now.   A stopped clock is right twice a day.  The facts finally overwhelmed the agenda.

The bottom lines is that the  primary routes of infection are NOT FOMITES.  You don't have to sanitize your mail or your groceries or even wear gloves when you are out.  You should still keep unclean fingers away from your face holes(mouth, nose, eyes) but even if you don't, it's probably not that big of a deal. 

It shows that barriers and distance work.  Also, the evidence is very strong that outside activities are essentially zero risk.  What to avoid is large gatherings, indoors where lots of people are speaking loudly or singing.   If you do go to one of those...wear a damn mask or stay 20 feet from everyone who isn't wearing a mask.  Mask it or casket in those situations.

Or wearing gloves in general when out.  

1. So lying is their methodology.   Check.  So why should anyone believe anything they say?  

2.  Agreed, except they haven't proven right on ANY fact.  That's why the special assumed coronavirus death certificate.  Make sure the numbers match the assumptions.

3. Normal hygiene and responsible behavior.  Ie wash your hands after using the restroom. Don't go cough or sneeze in someones face.  Adults need to be told this?

4.  Barriers and distance as "recommended" DO NOT WORK.  Where does the magic 6 feet number come from?  Oh someone pulled it out of their ass.  Sneeze droplets go 30 feet or so, so hows that 6 foot working out?  Barriers?  Can you smell gas from an unlit stove burner rooms away?  Yes you can, that means the airflow gets around barriers, carrying the droplets.  

Their is no avoiding it.  You will breathe the air that someone else has breathed.  If you are concerned, it is incumbent on YOU to take precautions. You learn how to properly wear a mask and do so.  It is not everyone else's problem.  That's what being an adult is all about.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Malsua said:

23 minutes ago, PeteF said:

1. So lying is their methodology.   Check.  So why should anyone believe anything they say?  

Reason #12,334,252 I stopped listening a long time ago........

45 minutes ago, PeteF said:

2.  Agreed, except they haven't proven right on ANY fact.  That's why the special assumed coronavirus death certificate.  Make sure the numbers match the assumptions.

3. Normal hygiene and responsible behavior.  Ie wash your hands after using the restroom. Don't go cough or sneeze in someones face.  Adults need to be told this?

4.  Barriers and distance as "recommended" DO NOT WORK.  Where does the magic 6 feet number come from?  Oh someone pulled it out of their ass.  Sneeze droplets go 30 feet or so, so hows that 6 foot working out?  Barriers?  Can you smell gas from an unlit stove burner rooms away?  Yes you can, that means the airflow gets around barriers, carrying the droplets.  

Their is no avoiding it.  You will breathe the air that someone else has breathed.  If you are concerned, it is incumbent on YOU to take precautions. You learn how to properly wear a mask and do so.  It is not everyone else's problem.  That's what being an adult is all about.

1.  They happen to be right accidentally.

2.  Again, shitty organization.

3.  Yes, adults need to be told this.

4.  6 feet was not pulled out of the air.  There are droplet studies.  One here: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800

Sneeze droplets go about 1.5 meters if someone is wearing a mask.

Large droplets are what is causing this infection, not aerosols.   You are somewhat protected from an infected person if you are wearing a mask.   If that person is wearing mask, you are protected even better.  If both are, the chance of infection approaches zero.

Source control is the answer to all this.  Stop the infection at the mouth that has it.  This is done with a mask.

If this disease was infectious once symptoms appear, you mask the sick people, the problem goes away.

This disease is infectious one to five days before symptoms appear.    You want to be an adult?  Wear a mask.  You may be infected and not know it.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malsua said:

1.  They happen to be right accidentally.

2.  Again, shitty organization.

3.  Yes, adults need to be told this.

4.  6 feet was not pulled out of the air.  There are droplet studies.  One here: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800

Sneeze droplets go about 1.5 meters if someone is wearing a mask.

Large droplets are what is causing this infection, not aerosols.   You are somewhat protected from an infected person if you are wearing a mask.   If that person is wearing mask, you are protected even better.  If both are, the chance of infection approaches zero.

Source control is the answer to all this.  Stop the infection at the mouth that has it.  This is done with a mask.

If this disease was infectious once symptoms appear, you mask the sick people, the problem goes away.

This disease is infectious one to five days before symptoms appear.    You want to be an adult?  Wear a mask.  You may be infected and not know it.  

4. https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/how-far-do-coughs-and-sneezes-travel/  Try 8 meters and stay in the air for 10 minutes.

Want to be an adult.  Be self reliant.  If an adult is cautious about a disease,  that adult wears a mask.  That adult doesn't expect EVERYONE ELSE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH TO work around their caution.  

So your solution is to NEVER interact with a person again.   Because you never know what they have, and if you might get it. Because all thru the history of man and all the diseases and virus's that plagued us, the solution is to isolate the healthy so that they won't catch anything.  Oh wait that's not it.

Life has risks.  Be the bubble boy or go about and enjoy life.

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

16 minutes ago, PeteF said:

4. https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/how-far-do-coughs-and-sneezes-travel/  Try 8 meters and stay in the air for 10 minutes.

Want to be an adult.  Be self reliant.  If an adult is cautious about a disease,  that adult wears a mask.  That adult doesn't expect EVERYONE ELSE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH TO work around their caution.  

So your solution is to NEVER interact with a person again.   Because you never know what they have, and if you might get it. Because all thru the history of man and all the diseases and virus's that plagued us, the solution is to isolate the healthy so that they won't catch anything.  Oh wait that's not it.

Life has risks.  Be the bubble boy or go about and enjoy life.

Sneezes do not travel 8 meters if the sneezer is wearing a mask.

Once again, large droplets, the source of this infection do not linger.  Aerosols lingers.  Aerosols are not causing this infection.

My solution has nothing to do with never interacting again.  It has everything to do with getting this disease isolated and done with. 

There are over 5 million people that have had this disease and tested positive for it. The number is likely 10x that but the fact remains, 1.5 million people gave it to those 5 million.  Most, except the sociopaths would not have interacted with others if they knew they were infectious.  

Until we test and trace everyone, the only way to stop it is to keep people from passing it along.  That you have some "Muh freedom" hangup on it is mind boggling.  If people would stop infecting others, it would go away.   The sooner we accomplish that, the faster we can get along without masks.  Everyone is acting like spoiled children.  "but I don't wanna wear a mask, it's hot and uncomfortable".  Grow up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

12 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Sneezes do not travel 8 meters if the sneezer is wearing a mask.

Once again, large droplets, the source of this infection do not linger.  Aerosols lingers.  Aerosols are not causing this infection.

My solution has nothing to do with never interacting again.  It has everything to do with getting this disease isolated and done with. 

There are over 5 million people that have had this disease and tested positive for it. The number is likely 10x that but the fact remains, 1.5 million people gave it to those 5 million.  Most, except the sociopaths would not have interacted with others if they knew they were infectious.  

Until we test and trace everyone, the only way to stop it is to keep people from passing it along.  That you have some "Muh freedom" hangup on it is mind boggling.  If people would stop infecting others, it would go away.   The sooner we accomplish that, the faster we can get along without masks.  Everyone is acting like spoiled children.  "but I don't wanna wear a mask, it's hot and uncomfortable".  Grow up.

So you know more than the researchers that all agree a sneeze send droplets 30 ft. Okay.

There are 10s if not hundreds of millions people that have had this disease.  Its been here for over 6 months.  The genie is out of the bottle.  You either build a resistance or not.

Trace the interactions of millions of people? And I thought you were being serious.  Test millions of people, yeah thats gonna work.   

And yes "muh freedom" is exactly what its all about.  You just wish to impose your view on everyone else.  Exercising your version of "muh freedom".  Only my version does not require you to do a damn thing.

You know what is mind boggling.  The astounding amout of people willing to give up other peoples freedoms.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

BF

1 hour ago, PeteF said:

So you know more than the researchers that all agree a sneeze send droplets 30 ft. Okay.

There are 10s if not hundreds of millions people that have had this disease.  Its been here for over 6 months.  The genie is out of the bottle.  You either build a resistance or not.

Trace the interactions of millions of people? And I thought you were being serious.  Test millions of people, yeah thats gonna work.   

And yes "muh freedom" is exactly what its all about.  You just wish to impose your view on everyone else.  Exercising your version of "muh freedom".  Only my version does not require you to do a damn thing.

You know what is mind boggling.  The astounding amout of people willing to give up other peoples freedoms.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

BF

Clue

45 minutes ago, WP22 said:

How much of muh freedom are you willing to give for your safety?

Less

A simple mask is an insult to you and a limitation of your freedom?  You sadly have lived a charmed life and do not know what restriction of freedom is....luckily i do not either....  but i work with some that did.....  and i hear their stories.....

So...Ok then...... 

The cavalier attitude to a public health crisis is kind of amazing actually...but wait...there isn't one right?  Its all a ploy to get the big bad orange man?  Its just a bad flu, right?

You mean when i ask the ex nypd guys in security i deal with at a local ny hospital, if this is real or not....and they say very.....they are making up the 5 to 7 refrigerated trailers stacked almost 60 to 70 deep of bodies every day..of all ages..are lying?

You mean the ER..doc who says he see just as many otherwise healthy young people come in with a cough and shortness of breath and are dead in 3 days..is a sham?

It can't be that a volunteer fire fighter on LI i know saw three members die of it...one in a short as ten hours..cant be true, right???

But a mask is an infringement of your rights....while your country men die around you....  you frankly should be ashamed imo....you should be willing to do what you can to help protect your fellow countrymen.........if that means were a mask, even if it helps a little....you should.

Btw your Franklin quote doesnt mean what you think it means in the context of the letter he wrote in 1755.....an interpretation is here....  read the letter its online...its ...umm interesting.

WITTES: The exact quotation, which is from a letter that Franklin is believed to have written on behalf of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, reads, those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

SIEGEL: And what was the context of this remark?

WITTES: He was writing about a tax dispute between the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the family of the Penns, the proprietary family of the Pennsylvania colony who ruled it from afar. And the legislature was trying to tax the Penn family lands to pay for frontier defense during the French and Indian War. And the Penn family kept instructing the governor to veto. Franklin felt that this was a great affront to the ability of the legislature to govern. And so he actually meant purchase a little temporary safety very literally. The Penn family was trying to give a lump sum of money in exchange for the General Assembly's acknowledging that it did not have the authority to tax it.

SIEGEL: So far from being a pro-privacy quotation, if anything, it's a pro-taxation and pro-defense spending quotation.

WITTES: It is a quotation that defends the authority of a legislature to govern in the interests of collective security. It means, in context, not quite the opposite of what it's almost always quoted as saying but much closer to the opposite than to the thing that people think it means.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

23 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

You sadly have lived a charmed life and do not know what restriction of freedom is

With all due respect, I actually do. 

But regardless of that,  mine was a simple question, what's your answer?

10 hours ago, WP22 said:

How much of muh freedom are you willing to give for your safety?

I got an idea.  You are required to keep all your spittle to yourself?  Fair?  How you go about that is up to you, but you're not allowed to spread it all over.  That whole, "my rights end where yours begin"?   Ok, I'm in.    The same goes for you.  Your rights end at your mouth.  You keep your germs at your mouth, I'll keep mine at mine.

You could wear a mask, but that's such a great imposition for "muh freedom" types there's an even easier one.  Put a clear plastic bag over your head, zip tie it closed at the neck.   Nothing on your mouth, no overheating, no "Sign of your submission" on your face it's perfect.  You can virtue signal that the government can't boss you around!  Your rights won't be infringed!   Plus you won't have to feel embarrassed about  wearing a mask, since that's what this is really about anyway.

• Like 2
  • Crazy 1

12 hours ago, WP22 said:

With all due respect, I actually do. 

But regardless of that,  mine was a simple question, what's your answer?

*then*, brother you should then know that a little mask to help your countrymen and this nation get over this - even if it a little help - you should be all in.

My answer is that, *if* the simple request to wear a mask in public in order to attempt to limit the spread of this virus is requested and or mandated - I think we owe it to this country and our fellow citizens, that we do it.

The whole element of the population here that think this is nothing - I think they should register for the HUMAN CHALLENGE TRIALS...

https://www.thecovidchallenge.org/

Hey it is NO BIG DEAL !  It is a SCAM !  It is a political HIT JOB on big bad orange guy - they are all such big shots and there is nothing to fear - sign up, lick a subway pole in Manhattan,  or go volunteer to pick up the dead.  Cause it is a big nothing burger.

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

Amazing how hard they fight for their master.

The Master is humanity and consideration for your fellow man - if that is the Master you should gladly serve it, in this minor way.

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

image.png

There is so much fail here - I am not sure even where to begin - you are all getting your panties in a bunch now because of the mask wearing...??  :facepalm:

Again - if this is such a nothing burger, go to an emergency room and stand next to the sickest looking bloke you see and take a nice deep breath as he is coughing, get inoculated....then report back in anywhere from 5 to 14 days....go ahead we'll wait...

Oh and back to the Franklin quotation - read this interpretation:

"It is a quotation that defends the authority of a legislature to govern in the interests of collective security"

Put on a mask and stop being a baby - 

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

Here's my thinking on the issue.  Masks have some effectiveness against Covid-carrying droplet transmission.   They're not useless, as some will argue, and everyone knows that they aren't 100% effective.   So if I'm out in public where social distancing isn't possible, I'll wear one.  If I'm just out for a walk or a drive, I won't.

But here's my other consideration.  I've long been concerned that it is hard to go anywhere in public without being recorded on multiple surveillance cameras.   So when I am wearing a mask (and usually glasses I don't need and a ball cap) in public, I figure I'm also screwing with the surveillance state.   And that makes me happy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 10X said:

So when I am wearing a mask (and usually glasses I don't need and a ball cap) in public, I figure I'm also screwing with the surveillance state.   And that makes me happy.

Nah - those analytics are written and the mask is a non issue...at the .GOV level.  :) for the totality of the surveillance package.