gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

5 hours ago, Malsua said:

I got an idea.  You are required to keep all your spittle to yourself?  Fair?  How you go about that is up to you, but you're not allowed to spread it all over.  That whole, "my rights end where yours begin"?   Ok, I'm in.    The same goes for you.  Your rights end at your mouth.  You keep your germs at your mouth, I'll keep mine at mine.

You could wear a mask, but that's such a great imposition for "muh freedom" types there's an even easier one.  Put a clear plastic bag over your head, zip tie it closedThose who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. at the neck.   Nothing on your mouth, no overheating, no "Sign of your submission" on your face it's perfect.  You can virtue signal that the government can't boss you around!  Your rights won't be infringed!   Plus you won't have to feel embarrassed about  wearing a mask, since that's what this is really about anyway.

I got an idea, hows about you dont say or right anything offensive to anyone else?  "Oh thats just plain silly" you dont like whats being said YOU take steps to not listen.  The other person dosnt stop speaking.

I would love to know who apointed you god, so you get to decide what is a "minor inconveience" for someone else?

As to the plastic bag, thats more your style bubble boy.

12 minutes ago, PeteF said:

I got an idea, hows about you dont say or right anything offensive to anyone else?  "Oh thats just plain silly" you dont like whats being said YOU take steps to not listen.  The other person dosnt stop speaking.

I would love to know who apointed you god, so you get to decide what is a "minor inconveience" for someone else?

As to the plastic bag, thats more your style bubble boy.

Who said anything about stopping people speaking?   I'm talking about the spittle droplets full of virus flying out of your mouth as you're walking around babbling your bullshit.  Feel free to keep speaking, just keep your germs to yourself, again, how you go about it is your business.    See aforementioned plastic bag.

You have this mistaken idea that I want to keep everyone locked up forever.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  If we could stomp this virus and eliminate where it's at, it's done.    If we keep the virus where it is now, i.e. in the bodies of the people that have it, we can put this in the past.  If we all wore masks for a short period, track it down and clear it, it's over.    Of course, that's impossible because a good percentage of people, sociopaths mostly,  don't think we live in an interconnected world and can't be bothered.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Malsua said:

I got an idea.  You are required to keep all your spittle to yourself?  Fair?  How you go about that is up to you, but you're not allowed to spread it all over.  That whole, "my rights end where yours begin"?   Ok, I'm in.    The same goes for you.  Your rights end at your mouth.  You keep your germs at your mouth, I'll keep mine at mine.

So, should we ban smoking too?  And drinking alcohol?  Maybe ban food too?  

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

So, should we ban smoking too?  And drinking alcohol?  

Well no one needs tobacco or alcohol to survive, and we would certainly save significantly more lives over what the chinese virus has done. We need food, maybe just ban junk food to help prevent obesity and diabetes and other associated illnesses.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Is it such an imposition to ask you to keep all of the mouth ejecta localized?   Talking droplets here, not vapors.   Not sure what that would have to do with drinking or smoking.  Knock yourself out in any event.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Malsua said:

You could wear a mask, but that's such a great imposition for "muh freedom" types there's an even easier one.  Put a clear plastic bag over your head, zip tie it closed at the neck.   Nothing on your mouth, no overheating, no "Sign of your submission" on your face it's perfect.  You can virtue signal that the government can't boss you around!  Your rights won't be infringed!   Plus you won't have to feel embarrassed about  wearing a mask, since that's what this is really about anyway.

I'm quoting you but this is for all of you demanding to talk to the corona virus manager

I'll make y'all a deal since you seem to be greatly bothered by all this.

I'll wear a mask when, where and in the manner the law compels me to and won't when it doesn't. 

Further, if you promise not to go all karenWaffen on me if you see me outside not wearing a mask and I won't  make fun of you when I see you driving down the road wearing your N95.

If this is still not acceptable, I strongly suggest you stay 6 feet away from me --by the way, are there any studies proving this is the safe distance?--like you should, mask or not, or in your very specific case, roll a condom down your head.

But in public, with enough space to keep the distance? I'm not wearing a mask, I haven't worn a mask, and I won't wear a mask unless/until I get sick and use it to limit the spread of droplets or it becomes the law. Suggestions, campaigns, appeals to my sense of humanity and morals are not laws. I won't be a scumbag like Fredo Cuomo and Georgy Stephanapolus, both tested positive, and were caught outside without a mask. But that's as far as I go. Period.

Until then I don't care if you're afraid that I'm not wearing a mask, I have no obligation (social or otherwise) to make you feel better about my actions. I will not live my life based on someone else's fears.

And that's my final word on this.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, WP22 said:

I'm quoting you but this is for all of you demanding to talk to the corona virus manager

I'll make y'all a deal since you seem to be greatly bothered by all this.

I'll wear a mask when, where and in the manner the law compels me to and won't when it doesn't. 

Further, if you promise not to go all karenWaffen on me if you see me outside not wearing a mask and I won't  make fun of you when I see you driving down the road wearing your N95.

If this is still not acceptable, I strongly suggest you stay 6 feet away from me --by the way, are there any studies proving this is the safe distance?--like you should, mask or not, or in your very specific case, roll a condom down your head.

But in public, with enough space to keep the distance? I'm not wearing a mask, I haven't worn a mask, and I won't wear a mask unless/until I get sick and use it to limit the spread of droplets or it becomes the law. Suggestions, campaigns, appeals to my sense of humanity and morals are not laws. I won't be a scumbag like Fredo Cuomo and Georgy Stephanapolus, both tested positive, and were caught outside without a mask. But that's as far as I go. Period.

Until then I don't care if you're afraid that I'm not wearing a mask, I have no obligation (social or otherwise) to make you feel better about my actions. I will not live my life based on someone else's fears.

And that's my final word on this.

Like final words seriously?

8 hours ago, Malsua said:

Who said anything about stopping people speaking?   I'm talking about the spittle droplets full of virus flying out of your mouth as you're walking around babbling your bullshit.  Feel free to keep speaking, just keep your germs to yourself, again, how you go about it is your business.    See aforementioned plastic bag.

You have this mistaken idea that I want to keep everyone locked up forever.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  If we could stomp this virus and eliminate where it's at, it's done.    If we keep the virus where it is now, i.e. in the bodies of the people that have it, we can put this in the past.  If we all wore masks for a short period, track it down and clear it, it's over.    Of course, that's impossible because a good percentage of people, sociopaths mostly,  don't think we live in an interconnected world and can't be bothered.

I guess you did really bad on the SAT's.  How do you stop someone from saying something you don't like?   You don't,  either you don't listen or walk away.  You do not gag the speaker. 

How do you stop someone from breathing something you don't like?  YOU take precautions or stay away, You don't gag them. 

See how that works. 

You will never "Stomp this virus out"  It will always be there.  Until enough people build immunity to it to make it irrelevant, it will always be a risk.   Your stupid ass mask does nothing change this simple fact.

How dense to you really have to be to believe masks do anything?   How many nurses/doctors that are trained on proper use of PPE and were/ are using multiple pieces of PPE (faceguards, 2 masks, gowns, gloves etc) still got it.

How arrogant do you need to be to think you know better than them how to live their lives.

Feel free to move to a country more to your liking where individual rights mean nothing.  I suggest maybe China would be more to your liking.

PS: You can take your plastic bag and mask and shove them up your ass.  That way you are sure to cover your mouth,, and you wont spew anymore of your childish shit. oh and GFY.

6 hours ago, Malsua said:

Is it such an imposition to ask you to keep all of the mouth ejecta localized?   Talking droplets here, not vapors.   Not sure what that would have to do with drinking or smoking.  Knock yourself out in any event.  

Yes.  If you are unable to live in a society the way it is THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.  Not anyone elses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Well no one needs tobacco or alcohol to survive, and we would certainly save significantly more lives over what the chinese virus has done. We need food, maybe just ban junk food to help prevent obesity and diabetes and other associated illnesses.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, USRifle30Cal said:

But a mask is an infringement of your rights....while your country men die around you....  you frankly should be ashamed imo....you should be willing to do what you can to help protect your fellow countrymen.........if that means were a mask, even if it helps a little....you should.

11 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

*then*, brother you should then know that a little mask to help your countrymen and this nation get over this - even if it a little help - you should be all in.  My answer is that, *if* the simple request to wear a mask in public in order to attempt to limit the spread of this virus is requested and or mandated - I think we owe it to this country and our fellow citizens, that we do it.

Put on a mask and stop being a baby - 

11 hours ago, 10X said:

Here's my thinking on the issue.  Masks have some effectiveness against Covid-carrying droplet transmission.   They're not useless, as some will argue, and everyone knows that they aren't 100% effective.   So if I'm out in public where social distancing isn't possible, I'll wear one.  If I'm just out for a walk or a drive, I won't.

@Malsua, @USRifle30Cal & @10X:

I agree with the points that the three of you have made in this thread on this topic.  I also agree and understand that early on in the COVID-19 pandemic, we all were getting mixed signals on the who should wear face masks, where they should be worn and what type of masks, along with if they actually protected the wearer or not.  But at this point in the evolving pandemic, we all have a much better idea of what PPE works best and why we should wear them, along with social distancing by maintain a reasonable (6 ft.), separation distance from other people who are not family members, in addition to washing our hands religiously. 

I feel that wearing a face mask, especially the N95/P95 face masks are a royal PITA!  They are not all that comfortable and can cause feelings of claustrophobia or fogging up one’s eye glasses and are generally uncomfortable.  But the general consensus from the health care experts is that by wearing a face mask that covers one’s mouth and nose, it does a good job of greatly reducing the dispersion and travel distance of the respiratory droplets that a person emanates while breathing, coughing and/or sneezing.  Therefore, by wearing a face mask, it can offer some degree of protection to the wearers, but is really a greater benefit to those around you and primarily protects them and as good citizens, we should put our minor irritation and inconvenience of wearing a face mask aside and just wear them.  Wearing a face mask goes a long way in reducing the spread of the virus if you are infected, but do not have symptoms, thus helping to prevent others from getting sick from you.  Thankfully, the majority of Americans seem to understand and accept this concept and do wear face masks when out in public areas when they are around other people, as well as entering almost all retail/grocery stores, where it may be a mandatory requirement.

This extreme attitude of those who refuse to wear a face mask does not reflect the sensibilities of most Americans who have been adhering to this public health advice in basic safeguards, despite the unfamiliarity, awkwardness and inconvenience of having to do so.  A recent Pew Research Ctr. survey found that 66% of Americans are more concerned about social-distancing restrictions being lifted too quickly than they are about having restrictions in place for too long.  But this disagreement does seem to represent a partisan difference in a willingness to comply with the temporary guidelines to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus.  Apparently, for some of these knuckleheads, wearing a face mask or not, is no longer a question of public health, but has become symbolic of their political beliefs.  For them, they do not believe and/or care about abiding by these health precautions because they feel that doing so infringes upon their personal freedoms or even that they may perceive that they are immune from the virus.  I have heard what I consider to be very silly excuses for not wearing a face mask, including: “it is submission, it is muzzling yourself, it looks weak, especially for men….”  It seems as though these ignorant fools assume that they have some sort of macho fearless invincibility and wearing a face mask diminishes their masculinity or that by refusing to wear a face mask one is somehow tougher.

Arguments around social distancing and wearing face masks have now become symbolic of our society’s division and polarization, pitting those who believe in the scientific health safeguard assumptions versus the sense that our country’s tradition of individualism and self-interest is paramount.  While I hope that these people who are choosing not wear face masks are truly in the minority, I do consider them to be ignorant, selfish and have a warped sense of entitlement.  The odds are that those face mask-less folks also will be at a much greater risk of being infected by the deadly COVID-19 virus, in the coming months....

AVB-AMG

• FacePalm 1

28 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Malsua, @USRifle30Cal & @10X:

I agree with the points that the three of you have made in this thread on this topic.  I also agree and understand that early on in the COVID-19 pandemic, we all were getting mixed signals on the who should wear face masks, where they should be worn and what type of masks, along with if they actually protected the wearer or not.  But at this point in the evolving pandemic, we all have a much better idea of what PPE works best and why we should wear them, along with social distancing by maintain a reasonable (6 ft.), separation distance from other people who are not family members, in addition to washing our hands religiously. 

I feel that wearing a face mask, especially the N95/P95 face masks are a royal PITA!  They are not all that comfortable and can cause feelings of claustrophobia or fogging up one’s eye glasses and are generally uncomfortable.  But the general consensus from the health care experts is that by wearing a face mask that covers one’s mouth and nose, it does a good job of greatly reducing the dispersion and travel distance of the respiratory droplets that a person emanates while breathing, coughing and/or sneezing.  Therefore, by wearing a face mask, it can offer some degree of protection to the wearers, but is really a greater benefit to those around you and primarily protects them and as good citizens, we should put our minor irritation and inconvenience of wearing a face mask aside and just wear them.  Wearing a face mask goes a long way in reducing the spread of the virus if you are infected, but do not have symptoms, thus helping to prevent others from getting sick from you.  Thankfully, the majority of Americans seem to understand and accept this concept and do wear face masks when out in public areas when they are around other people, as well as entering almost all retail/grocery stores, where it may be a mandatory requirement.

This extreme attitude of those who refuse to wear a face mask does not reflect the sensibilities of most Americans who have been adhering to this public health advice in basic safeguards, despite the unfamiliarity, awkwardness and inconvenience of having to do so.  A recent Pew Research Ctr. survey found that 66% of Americans are more concerned about social-distancing restrictions being lifted too quickly than they are about having restrictions in place for too long.  But this disagreement does seem to represent a partisan difference in a willingness to comply with the temporary guidelines to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus.  Apparently, for some of these knuckleheads, wearing a face mask or not, is no longer a question of public health, but has become symbolic of their political beliefs.  For them, they do not believe and/or care about abiding by these health precautions because they feel that doing so infringes upon their personal freedoms or even that they may perceive that they are immune from the virus.  I have heard what I consider to be very silly excuses for not wearing a face mask, including: “it is submission, it is muzzling yourself, it looks weak, especially for men….”  It seems as though these ignorant fools assume that they have some sort of macho fearless invincibility and wearing a face mask diminishes their masculinity or that by refusing to wear a face mask one is somehow tougher.

Arguments around social distancing and wearing face masks have now become symbolic of our society’s division and polarization, pitting those who believe in the scientific health safeguard assumptions versus the sense that our country’s tradition of individualism and self-interest is paramount.  While I hope that these people who are choosing not wear face masks are truly in the minority, I do consider them to be ignorant, selfish and have a warped sense of entitlement.  The odds are that those face mask-less folks also will be at a much greater risk of being infected by the deadly COVID-19 virus, in the coming months....

AVB-AMG

There was absolutely no mixed signals. It was pretty clear they told us not wear them...

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

If all of you self-rightous keyboard commandos got half as upset and militant about your 2A rights as you do about wearing a damn mask this state would be a very different place. 

For mask wearing or against?  :)

15 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Apples and oranges  to a degree...  smoking and drinking destroy many lives in society, but it is mostly voluntary abuse.  We can go off on a tangent here very quickly...as the thread in totality has done - sadly. 

15 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Well, there is fine bourbon, or a well crafted beer....  :)   !

12 hours ago, tomk62 said:

IMG_1714.thumb.jpg.38a45b8760ee97961aa1e10d28cfad89.jpg

That is so true, many nation states have abused their citizens under the guise of safety...I am not sure this is an equivalency.

8 hours ago, PeteF said:

I guess you did really bad on the SAT's.  How do you stop someone from saying something you don't like?   You don't,  either you don't listen or walk away.  You do not gag the speaker. 

How do you stop someone from breathing something you don't like?  YOU take precautions or stay away, You don't gag them. 

See how that works. 

You will never "Stomp this virus out"  It will always be there.  Until enough people build immunity to it to make it irrelevant, it will always be a risk.   Your stupid ass mask does nothing change this simple fact.

How dense to you really have to be to believe masks do anything?   How many nurses/doctors that are trained on proper use of PPE and were/ are using multiple pieces of PPE (faceguards, 2 masks, gowns, gloves etc) still got it.

How arrogant do you need to be to think you know better than them how to live their lives.

Feel free to move to a country more to your liking where individual rights mean nothing.  I suggest maybe China would be more to your liking.

PS: You can take your plastic bag and mask and shove them up your ass.  That way you are sure to cover your mouth,, and you wont spew anymore of your childish shit. oh and GFY.

Yes.  If you are unable to live in a society the way it is THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.  Not anyone elses.

Comparing an ordinary citizen to doctors and nurses - in any kind of mask debate - is silly.

The level of exposure doctors and nurses have to the pathogen in question, is probably statistically much higher than the average jane or John doe....hence potential failure of said PPE.

When others abject arrogance and denial of a situation may cause direct harm to my family - i have a problem with that.

Again, to all the non mask wearing he man macho men, sign up for the COVID trials....!

Its all a rouse to get the big bad orange man...right?  :)

6 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

There was absolutely no mixed signals. It was pretty clear they told us not wear them...

100% true....  because they didn't have anywhere near enough and had to quell panic.

Take this all a step further.....don't take anything at face value...ya ever think they all know much much and so much more - that they are NOT saying?  I do.

The entire worlds societies are teetering at a brink - you can very quickly and easily descend into anarchy......if pushed...  this virus, even if brought under control is not the end by a long shot.  This is the impetus for a complete fracturing of the global fabric of nations.  Whomever designed it, and they did, whomever dropped it, and they did. Has a bigger plan that has not shown its face...yet.

I have two or three distinct opinions on it, but they are most interesting while having a bourbon.

Mask no mask, rich not rich,, liberal conservative, smart or dumb - we all will be lucky to get through this....in one piece..and it has nothing to do with whether you catch the virus or not

The science is very sketchy on junk masks (and most ARE junk) having much effect at preventing viral spread.

Kinda like the science behind quarantines being effective at preventing viral spread.

So wear it if you want.....just don't kid yourself about its effectiveness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, W2MC said:

The science is very sketchy on junk masks (and most ARE junk) having much effect at preventing viral spread.

Kinda like the science behind quarantines being effective at preventing viral spread.

So wear it if you want.....just don't kid yourself about its effectiveness.

I have seasonal allergies - I had to go to a jobsite this past week in LIC - the old citibank building to look at some security stuff - I was masked up....  Regular blue kinda surgical mask - I sneezed then coughed in the mask....  excused myself to go the men's room to clean up wash hands etc.

Guess what - the inside of the mask had a big goober kinda saliva thing and some dampness on the inside, the outside was guess what - dry.  I bagged it - put on a new mask washed hands etc.

I am relatively certain - if I did not have a mask on - some of my sneeze cough could have been put into the air in and around the others I was with - i think it did its job along with my elbow crease... :)

Put on the mask - even if it helps a little  when you are around other people (strangers)

• Agree 1

Here is one for your amusement...

The distancing is designed to keep everyone far apart enough so that the 5G system can identify you.  Closer than that and it doesn't work that well.

And yes, I watch too many David Icke videos.

• Haha 1
  • Crazy 1
  • FacePalm 1

16 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Here is one for your amusement...

The distancing is designed to keep everyone far apart enough so that the 5G system can identify you.  Closer than that and it doesn't work that well.

And yes, I watch too many David Icke videos.

Ummm I heard the social distancing was so the 5g could activate the virus that everyone has like in the walking dead.

20 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I have seasonal allergies - I had to go to a jobsite this past week in LIC - the old citibank building to look at some security stuff - I was masked up....  Regular blue kinda surgical mask - I sneezed then coughed in the mask....  excused myself to go the men's room to clean up wash hands etc.

Guess what - the inside of the mask had a big goober kinda saliva thing and some dampness on the inside, the outside was guess what - dry.  I bagged it - put on a new mask washed hands etc.

I am relatively certain - if I did not have a mask on - some of my sneeze cough could have been put into the air in and around the others I was with - i think it did its job along with my elbow crease... :)

Put on the mask - even if it helps a little  when you are around other people (strangers)

....but it didn't keep the pollen out.  And pollen is like a boulder compared to a virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Ummm I heard the social distancing was so the 5g could activate the virus that everyone has like in the walking dead.

Naw, somebody faked a circuit board with a virus label and everyone spread it out.

34 minutes ago, W2MC said:

....but it didn't keep the pollen out.  And pollen is like a boulder compared to a virus.

Ya know pollen can enter your eyes and into your nose.... 

Makes for an interesting topic, because the virus doesn't need to be breathed in either.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

It is claimed that COV-19 can enter the body via the eyes. Do we need a SCBA now? 

Another point on these paper/homemade masks...can you smell a fart through them? 

Hmmmmmm.....

Only on taco Tuesday!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Ya know pollen can enter your eyes and into your nose.... 

Makes for an interesting topic, because the virus doesn't need to be breathed in either.

And the CDC stated contact spread is pretty unlikely.

This is a crazy topic.....

Just FYI for those that don't know - most masks don't depend upon actual mechanical filtration (pore size smaller than the virus). The middle layer (on a real, medical-grade mask) is statically charged. This charge attracts particles that are small enough to get through the outer layer, and is why fit is so important; if you're sucking air in through the sides the static layer cannot do its job.  Most of the masks available to us are more to protect others. 

And yes, I do wear a mask when I am out shopping or near others. If I am hiking I'll wear a bandanna around my neck, and bring it up to cover my nose and mouth when passing others on the trail. It's not that big a deal. 

I have lost my father-in-law, a friend, and one of my wife's friends to this so far. It's very real. Don't be a putz. Wear a mask. 

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

It is claimed that COV-19 can enter the body via the eyes. Do we need a SCBA now? 

Another point on these paper/homemade masks...can you smell a fart through them? 

Hmmmmmm.....

Time for a plague mask filled with aromatic herbs