gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

1 hour ago, Grapeshot said:

Just FYI for those that don't know - most masks don't depend upon actual mechanical filtration (pore size smaller than the virus). The middle layer (on a real, medical-grade mask) is statically charged. This charge attracts particles that are small enough to get through the outer layer, and is why fit is so important; if you're sucking air in through the sides the static layer cannot do its job.  Most of the masks available to us are more to protect others. 

And yes, I do wear a mask when I am out shopping or near others. If I am hiking I'll wear a bandanna around my neck, and bring it up to cover my nose and mouth when passing others on the trail. It's not that big a deal. 

I have lost my father-in-law, a friend, and one of my wife's friends to this so far. It's very real. Don't be a putz. Wear a mask. 

You know almost no one is wearing a medical grade mask right?

Yeah people get sick and die.  Sad, but people get sick and die from the common cold.  Did you wear a mask for the last say 20 flu seasons where > 1.5 million people died?

Don't buy into the hype.  Don't be a non thinking obedient sheep.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PeteF said:

You know almost no one is wearing a medical grade mask right?

Yeah people get sick and die.  Sad, but people get sick and die from the common cold.  Did you wear a mask for the last say 20 flu seasons where > 1.5 million people died?

I realize you have strong feelings about this topic, but let's try for some modicum of civility! The guy you were replying to mentioned he and his wife have lost 3 people close to them from this infection... that means 3 losses in a span of several weeks... not the time for cheap shots by any rational measure of etiquette.

A number of posters on this thread would be well-served by stepping away from the keyboard for awhile. People: go do something relaxing... or productive...it's a 3-day weekend for goodness sakes! Gardening, shooting, bird-watching... whatever! Go enjoy & and let's please dial down the angry rhetoric.

After all, you don't want to give your moderators high blood pressure, do you? DO YOU?!  :(

34 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I realize you have strong feelings about this topic, but let's try for some modicum of civility! The guy you were replying to mentioned he and his wife have lost 3 people close to them from this infection... that means 3 losses in a span of several weeks... not the time for cheap shots by any rational measure of etiquette.

A number of posters on this thread would be well-served by stepping away from the keyboard for awhile. People: go do something relaxing... or productive...it's a 3-day weekend for goodness sakes! Gardening, shooting, bird-watching... whatever! Go enjoy & and let's please dial down the angry rhetoric.

After all, you don't want to give your moderators high blood pressure, do you? DO YOU?!  :(

I’ve been doing a lot of bird watching lately.

AC69A9B1-2FF3-4B27-AA03-EA809D87E2F3.jpeg

AA5BF5D0-1AED-4A0F-A003-53627E2223EC.jpeg

F8F4E030-4C32-48D4-8B8D-5205D3D38B9B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I think your purpose in life is to give moderators everywhere high blood pressure! Everyone needs a calling, I guess. :rofl:

He does have a calling..........shame it will never be moderator.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PeteF said:

Guys loses three CLOSE people and you call it hype......

There are no words...other than maybe clueless and shameful.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

. not the time for cheap shots by any rational measure of etiquette.

I guess you missed these little comments, from the same person 

On 5/21/2020 at 1:11 PM, Grapeshot said:

If all of you self-rightous keyboard commandos 

6 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

Don't be a putz. Wear a mask. 

3 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Guys loses three CLOSE people and you call it hype......

There are no words...other than maybe clueless and shameful.

Maybe if certain people didn't throw out garbage statements they wouldn't get less than cordial responses?  

• FacePalm 1

7 hours ago, W2MC said:

....but it didn't keep the pollen out.  And pollen is like a boulder compared to a virus.

......do you know how seasonal allergies work?

Did you bother to inquire how i got there...?  By two wheels mask less...

Do you understand that there is residual allergens in the nasal cavity prior to mask donning....i do not a travelling neti pot...lol

2 minutes ago, PeteF said:

I guess you missed these little comments, from the same person 

Maybe if certain people didn't throw out garbage statements they wouldn't get less than cordial response?  

Dude rise above have some decorum...if the word putz offends you go have a drink...sheesh

6 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

It is claimed that COV-19 can enter the body via the eyes. Do we need a SCBA now? 

Another point on these paper/homemade masks...can you smell a fart through them? 

Hmmmmmm.....

Tested !!!!!   Yes....and no....  wings and lager farts  100%...  veggie farts no.

6 hours ago, W2MC said:

And the CDC stated contact spread is pretty unlikely.

This is a crazy topic.....

.....it sure the hell is !!!!

12 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Tested !!!!!   Yes....and no....  wings and lager farts  100%...  veggie farts no.

If you can smell a fart through the mask....well, I don’t have to tell you, the point is obvious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

If you can smell a fart through the mask....well, I don’t have to tell you, the point is obvious. 

.....yea all farts have particulate matter.......if they smell...makes you winder when in public...and some douche rips one and you smell it...his sh*t is in your nose.....  :o

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

and some douche rips one and you smell it...his sh*t is in your nose..... 

This came up about 5 weeks ago, whether or not you can catch chinese bio weapon lab bat virus from a fart.  Technically, the answer was yes as it had been found in fecal matter.  If someone nekkid farts next to you, think post coital dutch oven, if they are covid positive, there is a chance you could get infected.

As a practical matter, that fart has to go through (hopefully), two layers of cloth.  The solids get trapped but the gasses still make their way out.  Basically you are smelling gas, methane, flavored with whatever it was you ate recently.

It may smell like poo, but it's not actually poo one smells.

Here is a random fart joke

funny-illustration-message-wasnt-fart-26.

• Haha 1

Now that the governor's stay at home order has been rescinded, who here has ventured out?  I went to my shore point this past weekend.  Wawa was overcrowded, the shopping areas, too.  The folks on the beach were actually spacing out pretty well.  I did miss going to my favorite watering hole for dinner and drinks.

What's this stay at home order you speak of?

My life only changed as much as external factors forced me to.  Within the confines of the law, I continued working, shopping and going out for entertaining. 

I do miss already the days where the speed limit  was less than  suggestion and all the troopers were parked on the side of the road watching the traffic going by at 80++.

Hearing TP and paper products becoming scarce again, lines at BJs & Costco and those stres are limiting purchases again.

Hope everyone here stocked up.

If anyone needs TP I can trade some for some 5.56 / 223.  What's a good exhange? Two rolls of "the good stuff" for 20 rounds??    :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gleninjersey said:

Hearing TP and paper products becoming scarce again, lines at BJs & Costco and those stres are limiting purchases again.

Hope everyone here stocked up.

If anyone needs TP I can trade some for some 5.56 / 223.  What's a good exhange? Two rolls of "the good stuff" for 20 rounds??    :)

ABC national news ran a story last night about the start of hording again.  Said various states are starting to see shortages and limits again.  Thankfully, we re-stocked once the supply leveled off this summer.

• Like 1

Late last week, the Costco in East Hanover had more toilet paper than I've ever seen in one place.  Bales of Charmin stacked to the ceiling, not just where they normally keep it, but there were similar stacks in other places in the store.   So Costco is definitely hoarding...    I didn't notice if they had purchase limits or not.

22 minutes ago, 10X said:

Late last week, the Costco in East Hanover had more toilet paper than I've ever seen in one place.  Bales of Charmin stacked to the ceiling, not just where they normally keep it, but there were similar stacks in other places in the store.   So Costco is definitely hoarding...    I didn't notice if they had purchase limits or not.

What I don't understand is that for the past 3 month or so, you could buy as much TP as you want.  I've always had an adequate supply, but I buy when it's on sale.  I bought 20 rolls for $16.99 as of about 10 days ago because it was reasonably cheap.   There was a mountain of it there.    Last Saturday?  95% of it was gone.

What is that about?  YOU HAD MONTHS TO STOCK UP!

• Like 1