gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

7 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Was at the shoprite yesterday with my wife.....it's the beginning of Allergy season for me....I get it every year when the tree buds start coming out, so yesterday I covered my mouth and made a slight cough to clear my throat.....next thing I know, 3 Women yell out loud at me..."Cover Your Mouth".....I was stunned.

It’s getting interesting out there...

Flight Headed To New Jersey Diverted After Passengers Seated Next To Person Sneezing, Coughing Became Disruptive

• Informative 1

Just got word Towson University is closing early for spring break and told the students to prepare for an extended period of remote/ web based classes after break next week.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

Anywhere off the main roads after dark can be bad.  In a car, not as much, but on foot?  Stick around the tourist areas, you're fine.  Groups of 3 or more are rarely affected.   Wherever there are street lights, you're generally fine.

Muggings do happen.  Don't carry all your money, have a tossable money clip with like $8 in ones.  If accosted, toss it and run the other way, he'll go for the money.

You probably won't have any trouble, so don't sweat it.  Head on a swivel.  Behave like you're carrying and skels pick up on it and will leave you alone.

Sounds like a fun trip !  Lol

Might as well go to Newark..cept for the sand sun amd drinks....do they have Ripple there?

44 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Just got word Towson University is closing early for spring break and told the students to prepare for an extended period of remote/ web based classes after break next week.

Rutgers isn’t starting early but is going remote learning after. So is Princeton. 

35 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Rutgers isn’t starting early but is going remote learning after. So is Princeton. 

TCNJ is sticking to their regularly-scheduled spring break, but all classes will be online-only for the first two weeks thereafter.  The campus will remain open, just no classes or athletic events during that time.

TCNJ will forever be The College of New Jeresy to me.   Anyone here remember when they changed their name from Trenton State, and had the big name-change ceremony, unveiling the big new sign at the campus entrance, to assembled press, dignitaries, students and parents?  And when the big new sign was revealed, they had misspelled 'Jersey'?  It was hysterical.

The College of New Jeresy

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Malsua said:

The next few weeks are going to be interesting.   We will see how this thing goes, right now however it is still spreading significantly.

What I believe we're going to see in a short while is the hospitals and medical centers get overwhelmed with people wanting to be tested. NYC has seen a major ramp up in cases in the last day or two. This will spook people, who, when they have any flu symptoms, think they have the COVID, so they will run to the E.R. to get tested.

What will happen is there will be 100's of people, sitting shoulder to shoulder, coughing and spewing on each other. The ones who don't have the COVID going in, will have it going out.

This is what happened in Wuhan......

......""We are 10 days from the hospitals getting creamed,” Tom Bossert, who was Trump’s homeland security adviser until he was ousted in 2018, told NBC News. Bossert was never replaced, and Trump eliminated the national security council jobs related to disease outbreaks.

In an op-ed in The Washington Post published Monday, Bossert said that unless the U.S. closes schools, halts public gatherings and takes other steps to reduce community transmission, the country is headed for the sort of crisis Italy is now facing, with hospitals overwhelmed by elderly people in need of critical care."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-u-s-europe-brace-infection-spread-italy-n1153801/ncrd1154211#liveBlogHeader

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

For some reason, children are mysteriously at virtually no risk from this. Less risk than the flu.    So, yes, close all the schools.

Kids get infected. It’s likely to present equivalent to a cold or flu.  But they are just as contagious as anyone else. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

I got the notice today to work from home remotely "until further notice".

One thing I've learned so far from this thread, don't go on a cruise!

You should also have learned that you need to be able to turtle up in your home for some period of weeks.

I don't believe we're going to get welded into our homes, but quarantines are coming.  The prepared person won't need to leave home during this period.

New Rochelle NY is now going to be a containment zone.   It's just the closest, more are coming.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

New Rochelle NY is now going to be a containment zone.   It's just the closest, more are coming.

I just posted that article in the Stock Market thread. Yes, more are coming..

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Oh, come on.... sometimes you just need to live on the edge.... :clapping:

12 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Was at the shoprite yesterday with my wife.....it's the beginning of Allergy season for me....I get it every year when the tree buds start coming out, so yesterday I covered my mouth and made a slight cough to clear my throat.....next thing I know, 3 Women yell out loud at me..."Cover Your Mouth".....I was stunned.

that's when ya turn and face them. start to apologize...then fake sneeze in the middle orf apology, lololol

On 3/4/2020 at 8:20 AM, Malsua said:

Who needs to be an outdoorsman?   This Mercedes driver stopped by work a few months back....

Please tell me you reported her ass.

3 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Propane gas tanks.

If I'm forced to not leave my property, I better make sure not to run out of propane for the grill.  I may be stuck at home but I'll be eating good!

Make sure you get OTC cold flu remedies, like those Dayquil/Nyquil or generics

Have some Immodium and Tums if you get the bottom end of the disease which expresses in about 1 of 10 cases.

Just now, Ray Ray said:

Please tell me you reported her ass.

The decision was made above my station to not report it.  I'm just the guy installs it, programs it and makes everything work.

Everyone got a good chuckle out of it though.

Just now, Malsua said:

The decision was made above my station to not report it.  I'm just the guy installs it, programs it and makes everything work.

Just so you know, reporting a crime cannot get you fired. 

19 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Propane gas tanks.

Very true, plus it never goes bad, like gas. I have a propane generator and space heaters and convertable gas fireplace, besides the grill, so extra propane is always good to have.

14 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Make sure you get OTC cold flu remedies, like those Dayquil/Nyquil or generics

Have some Immodium and Tums if you get the bottom end of the disease which expresses in about 1 of 10 cases.

That too..

I would add, pick up ALL health and beauty products NOW, as there's a BIG shortage of incoming containers coming in from China (where a lot of that stuff is made). You might not be able to get your favorite personal care products in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

Very true, plus it never goes bad, like gas. I have a propane generator and space heaters and convertable gas fireplace, besides the grill, so extra propane is always good to have.

That too..

I would add, pick up ALL health and beauty products NOW, as there's a BIG shortage of incoming containers coming in from China (where a lot of that stuff is made). You might not be able to get your favorite personal care products in a few weeks.

So there IS something to the TP hording!

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Lucky bastid !!  Lol

Manhattan was very quite today around the garden...

At least traffic in and out was easier lately....who says fear of disease has no upside !..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

We were given that option on Sunday. Virtually everyone came to work.  But as the coming weeks unfold, more people will work from home.

My bus was half full on Monday and near full today.  Not riding the subway. Walking the 25 mins to my office.

Three people in our company have cruises scheduled.  So far one cancelled.  The other two are waiting until it gets closer to their departure date in late April. Their cruise lines have already said they can cancel 48 hrs before departure and get full credit for another cruise before the end of 2021.  No refund so far though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

So there IS something to the TP hording!

and anything else that has a component made in China. The Port of LA and Oakland say they already have 40 sailings cancelled coming from China, and more to come, and EACH ship holds on average, like 15,000 containers...

That's a lot of cheap China crap that ain't getting here in the next few months.

19 minutes ago, Sniper said:

and anything else that has a component made in China. The Port of LA and Oakland say they already have 40 sailings cancelled coming from China, and more to come, and EACH ship holds on average, like 15,000 containers...

That's a lot of cheap China crap that ain't getting here in the next few months.

We could live without Yankee’s souvenirs but vendors that sell that stuff will be hurt by that junk. Ot getting here.  Not good any way you slice it.

I really hope vendors choose alternatives for their supply channels.  Actually, why they wouldn’t already have these deals in place or at least ready to be negotiated is hard to understand.  This would be their Disaster Recovery Plan.  Not having one is a bad plan.

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

Philly Airport is relatively slow today. Not nearly the crowds I see when traveling. 

My boss flies every week.   In the last few weeks essentially EVERYONE was wiping down their tray table, buckle, sides, etc.

I have been doing that for YEARS but then again, I fly a lot as well.  I did 60k in 2019.   I am going to not fly much this year, WuHuFlu being a big motivator.  I'm 50+ and have Asthma.  I don't want to be a statistic ;)

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Bring manufacturing home !!!!!!

:)

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Propane gas tanks.

If I'm forced to not leave my property, I better make sure not to run out of propane for the grill.  I may be stuck at home but I'll be eating good!

Got any good recipes for rabbit and squirrel?