gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Just as a point of reference, to go with all the panic hoarding, here's the current stats of the seasonal Flu versus the Covid as of yesterday:

As a comparison, the seasonal Flu WORLDWIDE:

There are reported to be some 1 billion influenza infections worldwide each year, with up to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year, tens of thousands of U.S. deaths, and 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide.

In the USA: CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

Now, the current Covid WORLDWIDE:

Coronavirus had infected 128,392 people globally and killed 4,728 as of Friday morning,

The U.S. had over 1,701 confirmed coronavirus cases and 40 deaths.

So, for some reason, people don't worry about the seasonal flu, yet are running with their hair on fire with the Covid?

HairOnFire.gif

HairOnFire.gif

HairOnFire.gif

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I look at it 2 ways;

1-people are really overreacting to this and the media is culpable

2-it's far more dangerous than the official reports

I believe it's in the middle

that said, every house with children ought to have enough water, food, supplies on hand to weather at minimum 1 month without leaving the house to include no electricity etc..   Some have more:)

SADLY, this has been politicized almost from the very beginning. at first it was covert i think. but since it escaped wuhan, it's been politicized. the only people panicking are sheep. the only people pushing panic are leftists, the leftist media, and tds having people. that's it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

I dunno…...this is sounding more and more to me like we're not hearing all of it and it was something let out of a cage like in a bad movie…....….omo.

Don't buy into conspiracy theories...it does no good.

I'm struggling to understand... it seems several of you are questioning the benefits of broader testing...? Or are you simply objecting to the hype around it and the way it's been politicized? As I see it, any reasonable person who tested negative would, of course, still wash their hands more frequently and practice reasonable social distancing as they go about their normal life... but if they tested positive, they would be more likely to actually "self-quarantine" and remain in their home, thus reducing the spread. Isn't that the whole point?... to slow the rate of transmission ("flatten the curve") and avoid a rapid peak in cases like they had in Italy so the small percentage of critical cases don't exceed available hospital beds?

Now, true enough, I do agree the press has politicized the issue to an obscene level, and I think testing everyone is over-the-top. Nonetheless, though testing won't impact an individual's treatment, it certainly could affect his/her lifestyle choices (in turn serving broader "public health" goals). I think the Fed partnership with private companies (pharma co's and labs) announced in that recent press conference was great news and it will be a very good thing to see the testing ramp up and become more widely available (hopefully with all due haste), so that individuals have greater information and can thus make better decisions - not to protect themselves, but to protect others. Sounds like common sense to me anyway!

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'm struggling to understand... it seems several of you are questioning the benefits of broader testing...? Or are you simply objecting to the hype around it and the way it's been politicized? As I see it, any reasonable person who tested negative would, of course, still wash their hands more frequently and practice reasonable social distancing as they go about their normal life... but if they tested positive, they would be more likely to actually "self-quarantine" and remain in their home, thus reducing the spread. Isn't that the whole point?... to slow the rate of transmission ("flatten the curve") and avoid a rapid peak in cases like they had in Italy so the small percentage of critical cases don't exceed available hospital beds?

Now, true enough, I do agree the press has politicized the issue to an obscene level, and I think testing everyone is over-the-top. Nonetheless, though testing won't impact an individual's treatment, it certainly could affect his/her lifestyle choices (in turn serving broader "public health" goals). I think the Fed partnership with private companies (pharma co's and labs) announced in that recent press conference was great news and it will be a very good thing to see the testing ramp up and become more widely available (hopefully with all due haste), so that individuals have greater information and can thus make better decisions - not to protect themselves, but to protect others. Sounds like common sense to me anyway!

You want people with the sniffles to clog our medical centers? How do people with actual medical issues get help if we're busy testing everyone? Under current testing restrictions our NJ emergency rooms are already becoming swamped from people with low level symptoms..

Do we want the uninfected sitting in waiting rooms with those carrying the virus?

Testing is helpful, but as said before... if you're sick...well you are sick regardless of a test telling you so... what you have is kinda pointless right now and you should eliminate contact.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'm struggling to understand... it seems several of you are questioning the benefits of broader testing...?

If people maintain social distancing like they should anyway, testing is largely moot. There's an old axiom in medicine: don't do a test unless the result will potentially change your course of action. 

It doesn't matter that someone has the China flu. If someone is in respiratory faliure - from any cause - they need to be on a vent. If someone has a fever and a cough they need to isolated, tested or untested. 

The only benefit of wide-scale testing is we would like t find a s#!t-ton of people who had corona and didn't even know it. This would drive the apparent morbidity and mortality way down. Might get rid of some of the panic.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

no one's theory but mine...………….just sayin'......it's too dam contagious too fast....omo.

Influenza 1918....  killed some within hours of contracting the virus.....  this is not 1918

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Influenza 1918....  killed some within hours of contracting the virus.....  this is not 1918

Clipped from the Wiki article on the 1918 flu pandemic. 

Scientists offer several possible explanations for the high mortality rate of the 1918 influenza pandemic. Some analyses have shown the virus to be particularly deadly because it triggers a cytokine storm, which ravages the stronger immune system of young adults.[15] In contrast, a 2007 analysis of medical journals from the period of the pandemic[16][17] found that the viral infection was no more aggressive than previous influenza strains. Instead, malnourishment, overcrowded medical camps and hospitals, and poor hygiene promoted bacterial superinfection. This superinfection killed most of the victims, typically after a somewhat prolonged death bed.[18][19]

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, JHZR2 said:

Tourist spending on these islands has been in a downward slope since 2008 if not before. More quantity and bigger ships helps somewhat, but these places aren’t competitive. They do rely on tourism, but the ebb and flow is not unique with this. 

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Zika Virus already killed tourism down there. My wife cancelled trips down there a few years ago.

@JHZR2 and @JackDaWack:

I do not know where you two are getting your information from, but the current facts are that the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI), derive most of their GDP from tourism, trade and rum production.  While the government is the single largest employer, approx. 80% of the USVI residents are employed in service industries.  The most recent statistics show that approximately 2,400,000 – 2,900,000 tourists visit the USVI annually, primarily from cruise ships.  While it has been a number of years since I was in St. Thomas or the British Virgin Islands, I fondly remember the beauty of their white sand beaches and light aqua blue water.  The Zica virus, was big news in the second half of 2018 and did negatively affect tourism somewhat, but tourism was rebounding in 2019.

Also, the USVI are quite vulnerable to damage from storms, as evidenced by the destruction from two major Category 5 hurricanes, (Irma and Maria), back in Sept. 2017.   The heavy winds and flooding rains inflicted severe damage to building structures, roads, the airport, as well as communications and electricity. While the rebuilding and recovery have continued, the estimated cost to fully rebuild is almost $8 billion.

How can anyone think that the temporary ceasing of operations by the cruise ship industry will not dramatically hurt, not just the USVI, but other Bahamian and Caribbean islands.  That, followed by the natural fear of the general public regarding cruising anywhere, based on recent horror stories of passengers being quarantined on ships, which in turn become incubators for the spread of viruses, will greatly reduce the number of people choosing to go on a cruise for their vacation for quite some time.

The main point here is that the COVID-19 virus pandemic is going to have a major negative impact on almost all countries, corporations, large and small businesses, in addition to adversely affecting our daily lives and should not be dismissed in a ignorant and cavalier manner.

AVB-AMG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

I dunno…...this is sounding more and more to me like we're not hearing all of it and it was something let out of a cage like in a bad movie…....….omo.

on one hand i'd almost be willing to believe that, as it almost seems that this shit comes too fast to be natural......on the other hand.....what he said

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Don't buy into conspiracy theories...it does no good.

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

You want people with the sniffles to clog our medical centers? How do people with actual medical issues get help if we're busy testing everyone? Under current testing restrictions our NJ emergency rooms are already becoming swamped from people with low level symptoms..

Do we want the uninfected sitting in waiting rooms with those carrying the virus?

Your point is well-taken and I should have clarified... I was specifically thinking of that "drive-up" testing model that has been used elsewhere and seems so eminently sensible! The "patient" rolls up in their car, takes the test, gets an ID number... rolls away... really only interacting (at most) with the tester (who would be in appropriate protective garb, etc.)

43 minutes ago, Handyman said:

There's an old axiom in medicine: don't to a test unless the result will potentially change your course of action. 

The result won't change the medical professional's course of action, but it could change the patient's. Again, unless I'm having a ditz moment (always possible, lol), I still think a lot of you are ignoring that "public health" goals (which focus broadly on reducing public transmission) are different than "medical" goals (which focus primarily on treating that individual patient and only tangentially focus on protecting staff and the immediate ward/hospital environment). I do think there's some real logic to having testing more readily available, certainly in current hot zones, to help identify "carriers" who are either asymptomatic or showing light symptoms so that they can take appropriate steps to not spread it around any more than necessary. 

29 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

How can anyone think that the temporary ceasing of operations by the cruise ship industry will not dramatically hurt, not just the USVI, but other Bahamian and Caribbean islands. 

Can you please make up your mind... First you bitched because you felt Trump didn't act fast enough, now you're complaining, after Trump asked the cruise lines to shut down, about economic damage from it...

So, which is it? Or, are you just going to continue your Liberal bitching for ANYTHING Trump does?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Crazy 1

4 hours ago, JHZR2 said:

Until recently, most data was from China, and thus state controlled and more suspect.  
No matter how folks want to point fingers and play blame games, reality is that the maths associated with this are suspect because folks don’t always get tested, but deaths can be pretty absolute.  So the percentages are unclear. 

I've been saying that since the numbers started coming out from China. In the beginning, they were only counting severe cases and dead bodies, to get their mortality rate. They had NO idea of how many minor and self treated cases there were.

So, now, with more people being tested, their seeing a lot more minor cases, which  is dropping the mortality rate. It recently dropped from 3% down to 1%. I expect it to drop even more.

4 hours ago, JHZR2 said:

If it’s more contagious to boot, there’s reason to be concerned and proactive.  Not crazy, proactive. 

That's why I posted BOTH worldwide numbers. The seasonal flu season started a month earlier than the first case of Covid, but when you look at both sets of numbers, the worldwide flu numbers exceed the Covid numbers by a wide margin. And remember, many people get vaccinated for the flu, and we still get HUGE numbers of infections. So, I believe that the seasonal flu has a higher contagion rate.

It's the hype and panic of Covid that's the MOST contagious!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I do think there's some real logic to having testing more readily available, certainly in current hot zones, to help identify "carriers" who are either asymptomatic or showing light symptoms so that they can take appropriate steps to not spread it around any more than necessary. 

If we test asymptomatic people, that means testing everyone. With what frequency? Just because I'm negative today doesn't mean I'm negative tomorrow. 

If people feel like they have a cold or flu, they need to self-isolate at home with chicken soup. If they feel really sick, they should go to the hospital. The "worried well" with the sniffles are going to break the system, and those that walk into an ER with a cold will likely walk out with corona to boot. 

The only decision to be made is whether someone needs to be admitted. If you don't think you are that sick, avoid contact with the medical establishment. It will keep you healthier and save resources for those who need them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I do think there's some real logic to having testing more readily available, certainly in current hot zones, to help identify "carriers" who are either asymptomatic or showing light symptoms so that they can take appropriate steps to not spread it around any more than necessary. 

So, how long do you think it would take to test 330 million people? What facilities and labs could handle that flow?

And, what happens if a person test negative this week but then comes into contact with a positive carrier next week?

13 minutes ago, Handyman said:

If we test asymptomatic people, that means testing everyone. With what frequency? Just because I'm negative today doesn't mean I'm negative tomorrow. 

I'm talking about where it makes sense - like in hot zones - areas where we know there's significant community transmission. If it had been done earlier in Washington state and in the area around that NY synagogue, it probably would have slowed down transmission. I'm NOT talking about widespread willy-nilly testing. I'm talking about more intensive testing where it makes sense and to arm people with information.

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

So, how long do you think it would take to test 330 million people? What facilities and labs could handle that flow?

Again, I believe in my initial post I stated that testing everyone was an "over-the-top" reaction. The logistics of it, as you point out, are a nightmare... and I don't think the net result would be all that useful. That's not what I would advocate. But, certainly, communities where it was spreading...at some point it becomes just too difficult to track where individual infected people have been. So when that becomes too cumbersome, broader testing in those areas would make a LOT of sense IMO.

It transfers as fast as the flu, look a lot of people getting tested are coming up negative and have  the flu. 

My uncle was just in the hospital for type A influenza. People talking about the hospitals seeing a lot of sick people is again... because everyone with a mild fever wants to get tested.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

It transfers as fast as the flu, look a lot of people getting tested are coming up negative and have  the flu. 

My uncle was just in the hospital for type A influenza. People talking about the hospitals seeing a lot of sick people is again... because everyone with a mild fever wants to get tested.

Yep.. and that will probably overwhelm the medical facilities.

They looked at the numbers in So. Korea, which seem to be more legit than China, and they determined that of all the people coming in with virus symptoms, only 4% tested positive for Covid. Everyone else had something else. The press conference on Friday said that number was 2% here. So it appears more people are freaking out, thinking they have Covid, but it's actually the flu.

• Like 1

Testing Schmesting.  Domestic travel restrictions are on the table.

I think we knew that already but now they are comfortable talking about it.

With the Pentagon limiting travel of ALL service members, there's a reason.  They will probably be used to enforce travel restrictions.

• Agree 2