Jump to content
gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

Recommended Posts

On 3/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, Sniper said:

Notice how they bury that fact way down in the article, hoping people will miss it, and they rather build on the sensationalism and emotions of the readers instead.

I read a report yesterday that like 98% of the people who have died in NYC had pre-existing conditions, proving again, the healthy people AREN'T dying from it!!

OPEN THE COUNTRY BACK UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Young, healthy people aren't dying to the extent that older / people with pre-existing conditions are.  But they are dying or being severly sickened to the point of being hospitlized / put on ventiliators.

One of my brother inlaw's cousins just passed away from COVID19 after being hosptilaized and on ventilator for several days and close to 2 weeks in hospital.  50s, not sure if any underlieing medical issues as just happended last night.

But the story of the kid below.  He's 25 years old.  Healthy and as of a few days ago was fighting for his life.

I'm not saying the response is / isn't overbown or that young people would / wouldn't be getting sick or dieing if we were or weren't social isolating.  But healthy young people ARE dying from it.  Oh course young healthy people can also die from the flu or an infection.....

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-20200325-z2xsr4xjkrb6jd5ub2vr6goneu-story.html




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I'm not saying the response is / isn't overbown or that young people would / wouldn't be getting sick or dieing if we were or weren't social isolating.  But healthy young people ARE dying from it.  Oh course young healthy people can also die from the flu or an infection.....

Yes, everyone who dies is a tragic situation. But the fact is, more younger people die from the seasonal flu than are dying from Covid, so it all needs to be put in perspective. Not to mention, how many young people die in car wrecks everyday and thousands more that are permanently injured. Do we shut down the economy for them.

There's a cost/benefit analysis that comes into play. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made, for the greater good, for the Majority... not the minority...

Point of reference, there are now 108 deaths in NJ from Covid. There have been over 1,000 deaths in NJ from the flu. Also remember, the flu has a vaccine, which 50% actually get, and we still have this many deaths. The Covid doesn't have a vaccine..

Many people think the Covid has been in the state since Nov. or Dec., it was just not being tested or looked for back then.

The economic damage is going to hurt a hell of a lot of people if this shutdown goes on for another month...

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Yes, everyone who dies is a tragic situation. But the fact is, more younger people die from the seasonal flu than are dying from Covid, so it all needs to be put in perspective. Not to mention, how many young people die in car wrecks everyday and thousands more that are permanently injured. Do we shut down the economy for them.

There's a cost/benefit analysis that comes into play. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made, for the greater good, for the Majority... not the minority...

Point of reference, there are now 108 deaths in NJ from Covid. There have been over 1,000 deaths in NJ from the flu. Also remember, the flu has a vaccine, which 50% actually get, and we still have this many deaths. The Covid doesn't have a vaccine..

Many people think the Covid has been in the state since Nov. or Dec., it was just not being tested or looked for back then.

The economic damage is going to hurt a hell of a lot of people if this shutdown goes on for another month...

The economic damage will hurt.  As a young, healthy person, with a young, healthy family, I went into it thinking I’d almost prefer for us to get it, self-quarantine for 14+ days, and then build some immunity.  We would prep, stock up what we need, and just shut down. 

What put some more reality to the situation is when the news came out that besides not having respirators, hospitals didn’t have the ppe or staff to be able to handle all the Covid cases when they actually coded and went into arrest.  One news article indicated that they would apply DNR to patients regardless of their wishes, if covid-19 positive.   This was because the staff leave was too large, the PPE use too intense, the exposure of staff too significant when all hands are on deck handling one person. 

Bergen county and NYC are swamped.  Imagine what will happen when middle of nowhere Sussex or Cumberland county gets more than a few cases?  
 

I didn’t respect the need to flatten the curve until that resonated with me.  Do I want the economy shut down? Do I want businesses closed?  My kids to miss out on the social interaction and in-class lessons at school?   Do I want to not be able to go places?  To not see my parents and Great Aunt? Absolutely not.   But I also recognize we can’t rely upon everyone to be responsible, to take appropriate precautions to protect the more vulnerable population. 
 

Prior planning (not politicizing, but pointing at Cuomo) could have been better.  Testing? I’m not sure.  But it’s here, it’s expected that cases will rise as testing increases, all of that is what it is. But we’re stuck with the team we have and the game as it is being played.  If this is stressing resources in a new way, hospitals are swamped, and people won’t get the chance to survive without some flattening, then anyone who can should be doing it while they can. 
 

Ive spent as much money as usual since being sent to work at home.  We shop local, get takeout, and pay taxes. The one expenditure set I’ve reduced is gasoline and tolls. If my RDS-B and XOM dividend is reduced from that, I’ve got decades to retirement.  
 

When summer comes I’ll go to the shore and inject funds there, regardless of if I’m on the boardwalk or getting takeout from local places. Life will go on for the healthy.  Think of those who are handed a death sentence because of the inability of the health systems to support them. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 12:07 PM, WP22 said:

They should have asked me, I've been saying all this for the last month :)

- More people infected than originally estimated

- Virus was in country at least a month earlier then originally thought

- Death rate drastically lowered after accounting for the much higher rate of infected that self-healed.

-Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

What put some more reality to the situation is when the news came out that besides not having respirators, hospitals didn’t have the ppe or staff to be able to handle all the Covid cases when they actually coded and went into arrest.

Although the death rate does look like it may not as bad as first expected (thank god!), it seems evident that this bug does seem to pack a particularly harsh punch to the respiratory system... seemingly more so than an "ordinary" flu... and that is taxing the hospitals where the virus has spiked. We're seeing it more in the big cities I think, simply because of their population density. But, a doctor in a rural community that I know (she's outside of the tri-state area) just told our mutual friend that not only has she tested positive herself and now has to self-quarantine, but the small community hospital where she works had 13 "crashes" (meaning the patients' vitals suddenly dropped into a dangerous zone) in ONE day, and all were COVID-19 positive (or presumed positive)… and several were otherwise healthy people below 60. Apparently, in the years she's worked there, she's NEVER seen anywhere near that many patients crash in the ICU in the same day... as it's a small hospital. So, I think the unique nature of this bug - it's intense respiratory complications, and the fact that some patients are on the respirators for many days - is definitely going to push many of our hospitals to the breaking point, even with a downgraded death rate in the new disease models. ICUs are extraordinarily expensive to build, equip and staff... so we don't build them for "pandemic-level" problems - we build them to accommodate "normal-level" use, so yeah, there will be spikes that will be difficult to manage.

At this point, I'm just hoping that additional, large-scale positive evidence rolls in re:  some of these treatments they're trying (like the Malaria drug + z-pack, etc.). That would be the best possible news right now! Fingers crossed.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

If this is stressing resources in a new way, hospitals are swamped, and people won’t get the chance to survive without some flattening, then anyone who can should be doing it while they can. 

One of the BIG reasons hospitals are being swamped is that anyone with a sniffle or cough, is running to the ER to get tested. Doing the triage and treating all these people, until the test results comes back, is overwhelming them.

It was said yesterday that out of all the people with symptoms, going to the test centers, only like 32% are testing positive. So that means, 70% have something else (the flu, common cold, allergies, etc,). Problem is, anyone showing up at the hospital gets treated the same, and it's taking days to get the test results. Everyone is panicking...

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

ICUs are extraordinarily expensive to build, equip and staff... so we don't build them for "pandemic-level" problems - we build them to accommodate "normal-level" use, so yeah, there will be spikes that will be difficult to manage.

That's exactly it. There aren't that many of them, so it doesn't take much of a spike to fill them all up, from any reason.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

The economic damage will hurt.  As a young, healthy person, with a young, healthy family, I went into it thinking I’d almost prefer for us to get it, self-quarantine for 14+ days, and then build some immunity.  We would prep, stock up what we need, and just shut down. 

What put some more reality to the situation is when the news came out that besides not having respirators, hospitals didn’t have the ppe or staff to be able to handle all the Covid cases when they actually coded and went into arrest.  One news article indicated that they would apply DNR to patients regardless of their wishes, if covid-19 positive.   This was because the staff leave was too large, the PPE use too intense, the exposure of staff too significant when all hands are on deck handling one person. 

Bergen county and NYC are swamped.  Imagine what will happen when middle of nowhere Sussex or Cumberland county gets more than a few cases?  
 

I didn’t respect the need to flatten the curve until that resonated with me.  Do I want the economy shut down? Do I want businesses closed?  My kids to miss out on the social interaction and in-class lessons at school?   Do I want to not be able to go places?  To not see my parents and Great Aunt? Absolutely not.   But I also recognize we can’t rely upon everyone to be responsible, to take appropriate precautions to protect the more vulnerable population. 
 

Prior planning (not politicizing, but pointing at Cuomo) could have been better.  Testing? I’m not sure.  But it’s here, it’s expected that cases will rise as testing increases, all of that is what it is. But we’re stuck with the team we have and the game as it is being played.  If this is stressing resources in a new way, hospitals are swamped, and people won’t get the chance to survive without some flattening, then anyone who can should be doing it while they can. 
 

Ive spent as much money as usual since being sent to work at home.  We shop local, get takeout, and pay taxes. The one expenditure set I’ve reduced is gasoline and tolls. If my RDS-B and XOM dividend is reduced from that, I’ve got decades to retirement.  
 

When summer comes I’ll go to the shore and inject funds there, regardless of if I’m on the boardwalk or getting takeout from local places. Life will go on for the healthy.  Think of those who are handed a death sentence because of the inability of the health systems to support them. 

Sussex county has 72....hasn't crashed yet as far as i can tell.....people in the middle.of nowhere are sometimes more self sufficient than down below city folk....  not saying it wont happen  but a lot of cases are imported it seems...

My buddy just got over it in toms river...not tested EVERY symptom in the upper tract...thos he was with and were tested positive...one woman recovered husband in hospital...  yet they all recall some having something back in december...

 

Italy reported the same thing in December ...coughs fevers  etc...

 

Client of mine in nyc...jan 8th or so...went home sick on a Friday fpr flu lile symptoms...had a crappy weekend with fever and horrid cough fever etc.......doctor on monday...tested for flu...no flu...doc says you got some viral thing c

Going around...here is a steroid to take, flonase and take this zpack...  by that friday he was 100times better he said....  he is alive and had the loss of taste and smell common symptom.

 

This has been around waaaaay before feb in the US....

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

THE GENTLELADY IS OUT OF ORDER!' - Democrat Congresswoman refuses to yield floor

Talk about losing your sh*t.... Does this really help the American people?

Nice gloves.... :mutley:

I just watched that on my own not two minutes ago. What a witch!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

"The gentlelady from Michigan is out of order her mind"

Someone should Red Flag her!

Maybe put her in one of these, to go with her pink gloves:

s-l640.jpg

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

President just recommended national quarantine extended to April 30.

I have said from day one...mid to late may...

 

I have a feeling MEMORIAL day is going to be a whacked out party....I plan in being home that weekend.....quarantined...  drinking like a fish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

She's probably spewing Virii like no tomorrow.  She's literally frothing at the mouth.

As a side note, Joe Diffie has left the building due to Corona or "complications related to", whatever that means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Handyman said:

If the shoe fits...

image.jpeg.010567c2f23703fc061ed19d799aea3a.jpeg

Those tings can live several days without their heads. Just like the congresswoman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

My wife just got a call from her Mgr. sayin' Realtors can now show houses according to Murphy......I dunno.

Well ...think of it.  If they follow social distance protocols I think there's less danger in that than going to Walk Mart.

JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

My wife just got a call from her Mgr. sayin' Realtors can now show houses according to Murphy......I dunno.

 
I just got these updates from my  Assemblyman
 
 
  • COVID -19 Update NJ- The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control -
For Immediate Release
S.gif
 
The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control is issuing guidance to allow microbreweries/brewpubs to provide home delivery to their customers.
 
Home delivery had been prevented because of a ruling issued last May – ABC decided to relax that ruling today and allow for home delivery.

 

Important updates to Executive Order 107

-New Jersey will now allow auto dealerships to conduct online or remote sales, and authorize dealers to deliver vehicles directly to their customers, or to arrange for curbside or service lane pickup at a dealership
 
-Realtors can operate and show houses to prospective buyers on a 1-on-1 basis or to immediate families. There is still a prohibition on open houses
 
-Golf courses are closed as recreational businesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Malsua said:
 
I just got these updates from my  Assemblyman
 
 
  • COVID -19 Update NJ- The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control -
For Immediate Release
S.gif
 
The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control is issuing guidance to allow microbreweries/brewpubs to provide home delivery to their customers.
 
Home delivery had been prevented because of a ruling issued last May – ABC decided to relax that ruling today and allow for home delivery.

 

Important updates to Executive Order 107

-New Jersey will now allow auto dealerships to conduct online or remote sales, and authorize dealers to deliver vehicles directly to their customers, or to arrange for curbside or service lane pickup at a dealership
 
-Realtors can operate and show houses to prospective buyers on a 1-on-1 basis or to immediate families. There is still a prohibition on open houses
 
-Golf courses are closed as recreational businesses.

2 guys in a golf cart not OK. 5 landscapers in a pickup cab OK. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm for $500 Al;ex.

Golfers can walk the course or go one to a cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...