gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

Was at the shoprite yesterday with my wife.....it's the beginning of Allergy season for me....I get it every year when the tree buds start coming out, so yesterday I covered my mouth and made a slight cough to clear my throat.....next thing I know, 3 Women yell out loud at me..."Cover Your Mouth".....I was stunned.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:59 AM, USRifle30Cal said:

*If* the masses are whipped into a frenzy enough, that is when things start to become a tipping point, just look at Black Friday sales, the animals are out.  Now it is I gots to get my my hand sanitizer's !!!

Interesting times to say the least......

You’re not kidding - take this however you may, but my wife showed me a post from our community Facebook page someone had made. A woman said she parked her car at ShopRite and came out and found it broken into.

Someone stole her bottle of hand sanitizer in her car... Still trying to validate whether this was true but if it were - well, going to need clean hands for all of the face palms coming...

Just stopped by my local Walgreens in Port Monmouth  to pick up a prescription. Last week they had some hand sanitizer on the shelf.  Today that section as well as cleaning supplies (eg Lysol, disinfectant wipes,etc) were completely bare. 

With the worsening news (Italy, increased spread here, impending school closures and business work from home or outright closures, etc.), those that were complacent(Let’s say 50% of the population) until now will become increasingly anxious.  The window of opportunity to prepare is closing fast. 

I saw firsthand with Hurricane Sandy how quickly life around here went from normal to shit in a matter of days.  Brings to mind the phrase: Sometimes when things start going downhill, they just keep on going.... (downhill). 

• Agree 1

I know schools here in North NJ are trying to figure out how to do school remotely.  West Milford and Vernon schools are holding meetings.  I think Paramus is doing something as well.

They may go on break and do some remote stuff for the remainder of the year.

The next few weeks are going to be interesting.   We will see how this thing goes, right now however it is still spreading significantly.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, Malsua said:

I have a co-worker who's brother is stuck on a cruise ship near the Caymen islands and is not allowed to dock.  That one isn't in the news yet or it may have resolved, I'm not entirely sure.  No plague ships for me!

There is a very real chance that people will get in a quarantine zone.

We have a anniversary cruise scheduled in May to the Caribbean. I have ZERO concerns of CATCHING the virus. I have bigger concerns of getting caught up in a 14 day quarantine, and being stuck sailing around in circles for two weeks. Plus, there are many islands not allowing ships to come in and dock, which means missing the activities I have planned on that island.

Just now, Sniper said:

We have a anniversary cruise scheduled in May to the Caribbean. I have ZERO concerns of CATCHING the virus. I have bigger concerns of getting caught up in a 14 day quarantine, and being stuck sailing around in circles for two weeks. Plus, there are many islands not allowing ships to come in and dock, which means missing the activities I have planned on that island.

That is exactly why I wouldn't get on a cruise. I'm Emerald with Royal and I enjoy cruising, but I wouldn't get on a boat now.

Most cruise lines are offering to re-schedule or whatever.    May may look better or be a disaster.  I'd run up to whatever their limit is before you make the decision.  

3 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

By any chance are you booked on the Corona Princess?

Ahhhhh, yeah....  :scratchhead:

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

That is exactly why I wouldn't get on a cruise. I'm Emerald with Royal and I enjoy cruising, but I wouldn't get on a boat now.

We go every year, I splurged this year, and got a Suite, since it's a big year for us, so I'll be pissed if we cancel.

2 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Most cruise lines are offering to re-schedule or whatever.    May may look better or be a disaster.  I'd run up to whatever their limit is before you make the decision.  

That's what I'm doing, still have time to watch it, but I expect the panic to get worse, not better.

OK @Sniper, pardon my snide humor. I couldn't resist.

Seriously, I hope it works out for you. We did the Alaska land/cruise thing with Princess in August 2017. I got sick with 48 hours left in the cruise. Cough, throat, fever. Then during the debarkation we're sitting in the lounge waiting our call to go off and we suddenly notice everyone around us is coughing. Then I hear the guy sitting behind me saying "eight of the ten people in my party are sick, and they took one women off in a stretcher this morning." Wonderful. So regardless of the particular disease, those boats IMO are floating Petri dishes.

Two side notes. The dominant smell in the state of Alaska is Purell hand sanitizer. It was literally everywhere. And when we checked in to our hotel the first night there was a notice on our bed that some virus was running rampant throughout the state and all the things we should do to avoid it.

The only good news was when we were flying home. We flew out from Newark to Houston to Anchorage. But coming back it was Vancouver to D.C. to Newark. And it's damn good that was our home flight leg, because that weekend was the giant storm in Texas and Houston was underwater that Saturday. Two days earlier I had been in an elevator on the ship and asked if anyone was flying through Houston and about six people said yes, why? To which I said go back to your cabin and watch the news for the Houston weather report this weekend.

Phew! 

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

OK @Sniper, pardon my snide humor. I couldn't resist.

Ha... actually you were correct, it is Princess. It's our first time on that cruise line, I figured we try something different...what are the odds.... :crazy:

We've been on numerous cruises, and the bigger deal is the Norovirus that strikes cruise ships every year. We've never got sick (maybe a little from the Pina Coladas :pardon:).

48 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Those ships are floating Bacteria barges.....

1. So are shopping cart handles
  2. ATM keyboards
  3. McDonalds countertops
  4. Elevators
  5. Door handles
  6. any retail store...

If you're that concerned about catching something, better go live in a bubble... can't be hiding under a rock because of the FEAR of POSSIBLY catching a virus... life goes on...

6 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

We are flying to the USVI...I’m not worried about catching anything. 

We are wondering about screening...if there’s any at all. 

The catching of it isn't really the big deal. It's getting stuck on the wrong side of a quarantine or across an ocean without a flight home.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

The catching of it isn't really the big deal. It's getting stuck on the wrong side of a quarantine or across an ocean without a flight home.

That’s part of what we are thinking. 

39 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Ha... actually you were correct, it is Princess. It's our first time on that cruise line, I figured we try something different...what are the odds.... :crazy:

We've been on numerous cruises, and the bigger deal is the Norovirus that strikes cruise ships every year. We've never got sick (maybe a little from the Pina Coladas :pardon:).

Aside from getting sick at the end the Star Princess was fine. We thought it was worth the money.  Food was good. The captain was Italian and a hoot. If you have him on your ship you'll know, because he'll sign off every announcement he makes over the intercom with "Bye bye" and will sound like Mickey Mouse when he does.

Norovirus is the one we got the notice on. Couldn't remember the name. It was supposedly all over. I honestly don't know what I caught. It was really annoying but it didn't flatten me.

And while we were docked in one of the Alaska ports, the Homicide Princess pulled in behind us. (Nee 'Emerald'.)

17 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

And, being "stuck" in the USVI for two or more weeks is bad, how?

Well, it could be harmful to you bank account.  You could also end up homeless when the hotel brings in the next guest and you're on the street.  Yes, it could happen in a worse place, but then again the USVI really isn't that great outside of the tourist areas. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Norovirus is the one we got the notice on. Couldn't remember the name. It was supposedly all over. I honestly don't know what I caught. It was really annoying but it didn't flatten me.

The one plus about catching that, it helps you "purge" all the excess weight put on from the buffet all week...:yahoo:

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Stay out of Red Hook after dark.

Tell me more, please. My wife booked this trip, and I know very little about it. Not sure if the area we are staying. I know it’s an AirBnB in a nice condo on the beach. I don’t know WHICH beach.

She normally researches the hell out of out vacations...but it’s not a bad idea to know more...

12 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Tell me more, please. My wife booked this trip, and I know very little about it. Not sure if the area we are staying. I know it’s an AirBnB in a nice condo on the beach. I don’t know WHICH beach.

She normally researches the hell out of out vacations...but it’s not a bad idea to know more...

Anywhere off the main roads after dark can be bad.  In a car, not as much, but on foot?  Stick around the tourist areas, you're fine.  Groups of 3 or more are rarely affected.   Wherever there are street lights, you're generally fine.

Muggings do happen.  Don't carry all your money, have a tossable money clip with like $8 in ones.  If accosted, toss it and run the other way, he'll go for the money.

You probably won't have any trouble, so don't sweat it.  Head on a swivel.  Behave like you're carrying and skels pick up on it and will leave you alone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Muggings do happen.  Don't carry all your money, have a tossable money clip with like $8 in ones.  If accosted, toss it and run the other way, he'll go for the money.

That's exactly what I do when in the islands. Keep a few buck in one pocket, separate from the main dollars and credit cards. If a local tries to start something, throw the loose bills, and take off.

Just discussed this with Mrs Tex....

She already knew about these areas and we won’t be in them. 
 Told me to STFU, that I need a vacation, and she’s got this handled. 

I trust her judgement, and I’m smart enough to know when not to argue with her...so I’ll STFU. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2