muzzelloader69

shotgun shell reloading

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

more consistent cycling in the shotgun

That can be tweaked with any one or a combination of powder charge, payload and even a wad-cup can influence pressure.  So, yeah, you can increase pressure many ways.  Just don't do them without knowing you are doing them.

52 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I had the same issue and had a worn O ring in the gas chamber.  You might want to clean and inspect that area.

Cleaned it and installed a new O-Ring, got better, but still doesn't like some brands.  

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, kc17 said:

Cleaned it and installed a new O-Ring, got better, but still doesn't like some brands.  

Standard 1100 barrel with 2 3/4" chamber? These should function well with standard 12 ga. loads from 1 oz. to 1 5/8 oz. loads.

Light 1 oz. reloads work fine in my 11-87 (same gas system, only it handles 2 3/4" & 3" shells) provided I keep pressures above 7,500PSI per the load data in the manual. 

Do you clean out the gas ports on the underside of the barrel?  Those should be cleaned with the appropriate sized drill bit often or after a heavy shooting session. Orientation of the piston seal, piston and barrel seal (O-ring) on the magazine tube are also important. I see too many people orient these parts incorrectly. 

Rather than plagiarize, this is a good article on the 1100:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/gunsmithing_st_1100loads_200808/100259

• Thanks 1

@Parker

I didn't buy it new, but as far as I know it's stock. I did clean out the holes using a drill bit & pipe cleaner. I also scrubbed the area clean (there was build-up) and put in a new O-Ring. Before I did that it would occasionally short cycle with some bigger name brands. After I did that it was much better, but still doesn't like the more economical Rio stuff. 

I've read these shotguns can be picky about what they run. 

Also, it's a 20ga. Maybe they are even more picky vs 12s?

I'll go through the article you linked when I have more time. 

Thanks. 

On 2/29/2020 at 6:50 PM, 10X said:

If you are planning to load hunting rounds, I've got steel and bismuth shot, fiber wads, over shot wads, and assorted other components.  If you're interested I'll put together a list of what I've got.  Not looking to get much for it.

@10X

Somehow i missed this reply last year!  Anyway, i would definitely be interested, but i rarely find my way up that way..  If i do, i'll reach out and see if its still available.

Thx

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

@Parker

I didn't buy it new, but as far as I know it's stock. I did clean out the holes using a drill bit & pipe cleaner. I also scrubbed the area clean (there was build-up) and put in a new O-Ring. Before I did that it would occasionally short cycle with some bigger name brands. After I did that it was much better, but still doesn't like the more economical Rio stuff. 

I've read these shotguns can be picky about what they run. 

Also, it's a 20ga. Maybe they are even more picky vs 12s?

I'll go through the article you linked when I have more time. 

Thanks. 

Do you have the magnum receiver & barrel (3" shells) while shooting 2 3/4" shells? 

20's operate at higher pressures because of the bore size. The 1100 has had a reputation as a reliable gun with a long track record. Sketchy ammo is always a suspect. Maybe you have a rough chamber? 

16 minutes ago, Parker said:

Do you have the magnum receiver & barrel (3" shells) while shooting 2 3/4" shells? 

20's operate at higher pressures because of the bore size. The 1100 has had a reputation as a reliable gun with a long track record. Sketchy ammo is always a suspect. Maybe you have a rough chamber? 

I'd need to double check if it accepts 3" shells. I have been using 2-3/4".