kc17

New Plinker

It was an impulse buy. I saw a Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver pop on on Howell Gun Work's fb page for $150 yesterday. Figured $150 (+nics and tax of course), for a new gun that had pretty good reviews, it was hard to go wrong. Paid for it over the phone, picked it up and shot it today.

The "instant" nics took about three hours today. They were still processing checks from yesterday when they started this morning. Not too big of a deal, my parents live nearby so I visited them.

Fit and finish is about what one should expect for a $150 revolver. Single action only, 6 shooter; I'd have to buy a replacement cylinder to shoot magnums ($30 I think?). Pleasantly heavier than I expected, although I did read about that in reviews. A groove in the top of the frame acts as the rear sight with a standard post in the front. Trigger was lighter and smoother than I expected, so much so that the first shot caught me a little by surprise. Is that to be expected in a SAO revolver? First time I've shot one. I didn't dry fire it since the mfg warned against doing so multiple times in the owner's manual. Very accurate shooter as well, my wife and I both enjoyed shooting it. There's definitely something to be said about not having hot spent cases coming back at you. I would've preferred a longer grip, I don't have large hands and my pinky just catches.

I almost regretted buying it so quickly when HGW posted a Ruger Wrangler shortly after. But the Ruger is $225 and for my intended purpose I didn't see the benefit of paying 150% the price of the Heritage. Besides, I liked the look of the Heritage more anyway.

HGW has/had one left.

While there I briefly fondled a couple of SIGs (wouldn't want Zeke to be disappointed) a P229 and P320, they had a heavier trigger than I expected. Smooth, but felt heavy to me, maybe I was just expecting lighter for no real reason?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to a LGS to snag a cheap SA .22 to burn a permit.  I looked at the Heritage and then the Ruger Wrangler.  I walked out with a Ruger Single Six with both .22LR and .22 magnum in stainless, used but in mint condition for about $100 more than the lesser Ruger. 

I never owned a single action revolver before and thought I never would.  One of the best purchases I have made.  The trigger is amazing as was a friends Heritage I shot at the range. I never thought I would like or see a purpose for any SA revolver. I was wrong!

Enjoy yours!

• Like 1