AVB-AMG

Making Federal Buildings Beautiful Again – Draft Trump Executive Order

40 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

Like so many of FLW's buildings, this one also had/has numerous roof leaks......

AVB-AMG

You forgot structural issues. 

FLW never let mere details like structural integrity get in the way of his designs.

Also, some short commentary on his life.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/nov/22/plagued-by-fire-paul-hendrickson-review-frank-lloyd-wright

Edited by W2MC
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

I am impressed by  AVB-AMG and the lovely Mrs Peel!

Make no mistake, AVB-AMG is the one with training and expertise in this area. I have zip. I'm just a person who tends to be highly opinionated about subjects I'm passionate about... a trait that is either quite charming or irksome as hell, depending on one's perspective! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, W2MC said:

You forgot structural issues. 

FLW never let mere details like structural integrity get in the way of his designs.

Also, some short commentary on his life.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/nov/22/plagued-by-fire-paul-hendrickson-review-frank-lloyd-wright

If you haven't seen the Ken Burns film, you should.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Make no mistake, AVB-AMG is the one with training and expertise in this area. I have zip. I'm just a person who tends to be highly opinionated about subjects I'm passionate about... a trait that is either quite charming or irksome as hell, depending on one's perspective! :D

Always charming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ahhhh..... OK......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ha! The fact is... you could clearly learn a thing or two from @Downtownv, Zeke!  Like charm... spelling... etc. ;)

Just keep him outa Bayonne, we have enough trash.

Joking

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Handyman said:

There's a special place in hell for architects that like to build flat roofed buildings. 

You must not be in the roofing business, we love them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Handyman said:

I'd wager that most of the folks you hang with are democrats, without regard to profession. 

@Handyman:

You may be surprised to learn that most of my family, friends and work colleagues in the commercial, large-scale A/E/C industry, are basically politically moderate centrists, ranging from center-left to center-right.  They are either Independents, Democrats or (pre-Trump) Republicans.  Interestingly, just about all of my friends and professional colleagues who are foreign- born and not U.S. citizens, do not care for our current POTUS.

AVB-AMG

On 3/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, AVB-AMG said:

This is an attempt to create an official style of architecture dictated by Donald Trump and some of his supporters.  It seems to have been proposed by some populists who feel resentment towards educated elites and want to impose their views on architectural design on everyone else, (sound familiar…?).  Whether or not you are a supporter of President Trump, this action is likely to provoke a much-needed debate about the mandating of style. I do not believe that architects should be restricted in this way and by doing so would be a real disservice to the American public. 

'If you like your sloped roofs, you can keep your sloped roofs. If you like your architecture, you can keep your architecture.'

- Pres. Barack Obama

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Handyman:

You may be surprised to learn that most of my family, friends and work colleagues in the commercial, large-scale A/E/C industry, are basically politically moderate centrists, ranging from center-left to center-right.  They are either Independents, Democrats or (pre-Trump) Republicans.  Interestingly, just about all of my friends and professional colleagues who are foreign- born and not U.S. citizens, do not care for our current POTUS.

AVB-AMG

Because this is their view of the world.

image.thumb.png.a65cf8d8284dccc2d971ea51e87b826b.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/3/2020 at 3:01 PM, GRIZ said:

@AVB-AMG

I gave it some thought.  The Guggenheim looks like a museum for the art they have there.

Can you imagine "The Art of the Motorcycle" at The Cloisters" or medieval religious art at the Guggenheim?

@GRIZ:

No I cannot, since I agree with your key point that the building should somehow relate to its function.  Where many folks disagree is predicated by their learned visual associations for those building functions, based on historical precedent as well as their willingness/openness to consider new approaches, forms and materials to be used in the design of new buildings.  For some of the general public, they are most comfortable with the established image(s) they have for specific building functions, (you, @Mrs. Peel, and some others here on NJGF), while others are not absolutely married to the just basing the design of a new, contemporary building on historical images and preconceptions of what a building "should look like".  The advances made in materials, communications, power, interior air temperature and quality control, sustainability and of course, initial construction cost, as well as life-cycle maintenance costs, are all factors that today's architects and design teams have to and do take into consideration when designing both privately and publicly funded buildings.

Speaking of motorcycles, back in the summer of 2017, I went on a two-week road trip through 7 U.S. states, east of the Mississippi River, visiting 17 different automobile/motorcycle museums.  You, and some others here may find these images interesting, that I took, (except that the first photo is a cut&paste from the Wikipedia site for this museum).  For motorcycle enthusiasts, if you have the chance, I highly recommend visiting the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin:

AVB-AMG

image.png.fcbb760915875d002233e239ea8e9dbd.png

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

For some of the general public, they are most comfortable with the established image(s) they have for specific building functions, (you, @Mrs. Peel, and some others here on NJGF), while others are not absolutely married to the just basing the design of a new, contemporary building on historical images and preconceptions of what a building "should look like". 

Actually, you might be too narrowly construing my comments which were quite specific to Federal buildings. Federal buildings, I believe, should present a certain classic image. And though I actually respect architects' needs to "push the boundaries" on design, as you yourself have pointed out, that sometimes results in leaking roofs and other unintended fallout. And, I think it's wrong to put taxpayers on the hook for all of that. Let the private sector be the arena for the truly novel approaches in design and materials. 

• Informative 1

This is ridiculous. Government buildings need 4 walls a roof and a door. Functionality is most important, followed by budget.. let's keep in mind that "classic" style is both functional and cheap, and structurally strong. And it eliminates the possibility of non functional design.

You wanna waste money making form over function.. do it on your own dime. 

• FacePalm 1

4 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@W2MC:

and this is your and many other Trump supporters view of the world:

image.png.1628f70cdd7bfbd0da097cffd9a2585d.pngimage.png.e576a763a867a4f1fea475969cb7a3f0.png

Um....no. 

The difference is those who are on the conservative side abhor this nonsense.  And the Statue of Liberty?  In case you've missed it, the Left has been pulling-down statues, attempting to re-write history, for several years now. 

The view from the NYC ivory tower depicted in the New Yorker has been 'celebrated' for years...and is as accurate now as it was in 1976. 

You really do need to get out more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Handyman said:

That may be, but don’t you also consider yourself a centrist?

And you hit the nail on the head there. So many lefties don't like to to view themselves as radical. They like to view themselves as normal. It's not very hard to find a "progressive" who thinks Sanders is centrist. 

26 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

And you hit the nail on the head there. So many lefties don't like to to view themselves as radical. They like to view themselves as normal. It's not very hard to find a "progressive" who thinks Sanders is centrist. 

They also think they are gods gift to the world..

Enlightening us all with their "artistic expression"