MartyZ

36gr feeding issues in 10/22

So I got a Bucket O Bullets (remington), 36gr last year, and since the, I have had a failure to feed at least once in every single mag, with that ammo in my Ruger 10/22. And yes, I have cleaned the gun and mags multiple times.

Has anyone else had this issue? 

I will preface this with the statement that the bucket o bullets is barely a notch above.... well nothing. It literally defines the bottom of the barrel for .22lr ammo quality (seriously, replace the FTF with a dud or squib, and I have had that level of quality with thunderbolt). Whatever the savings, I don't find them sufficient to justify wasting my time with remington's shit QC  on their rimfire ammo. 

OK, now on to issues the platform can have. 

1) if you are using mags with plastic feed lips, stop. They just don't hold up and when they get worn, they can wind up popping loose a whole round under recoil, and there's really nothing you can do to make that not cause an FTF. 

2) If you are not doing that, measure a round, manually cycle it and measure it again. Especially if you have swapped out barrel to an aftermarket one and have a bentz chamber, if the ammo is crap and slightly out of spec, you may be deforming or setting back a round. It'll work the second time through usually if this is going on. 

1) With the mags, I'd stick with the OEM rotaries. They perform the best. However, they aren't perfect, and one place is that they don't necessarily have uniform spring tension from the factory. So disassemble, clean, and bump up the tension on reassembly. 

Tutorial on the process is here: https://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

But when I still shot mine for knowckdown steel, before cleaning, deflashing (IIRC I had one out of seven mags that needed deflashing, do not go looking to remove stuff that doesn't need removal), and retensioning, it was fairly common to outrun the mags if shooting fast. 

2) If it is not a bullet presentation issue and it still occurs after a fluff and buff on the mags, try to determine if you are overrunning or underrunning the mags. If you are really going too fast, even with metal lips, you can wind up with popping the cartridge loose as a whole under recoil.  IF it is too slow, it may lack the oomph to jam the thing in the chamber. Cheap 22lr bulk isn't the tightest QCed stuff on the planet. and some of them, like some CCI offerings have a bit of a thick waxy coating that may slow things down and interfere slightly. 

2a) needs more speed/oomph: If using a thick lube that has some sheer resistance, move to something lighter. If using dry lube, avoid ones that leave a waxy film, and if you have been using them detail strip, scrub and degrease well before switching to something light that doesn't leave waxy buildup or varnish. You can also lightly polish the bolt and guide rod.  Replace the guide rod spring with new if it has lots of rounds on it. Alternatively, if it is new, KIDD sells extra power and reduced springs. If you have a poly buffer, you can try replacing it with the stock bolt stop pin. Also, it is always worth checking if teh screws up top for mounting a rail/rings/plugging the holes are the wrong size or screwed in too far and impinging on the bolt and dragging. 

2b) needs less oomph and speed. Using a tacky grease can slow the whole thing down. You can put in a poly buffer to replace the bolt stop pin. You can go with a reduced rate recoil spring. As mentioned, KIDD makes them. 

• Agree 1

I have always said that 22lr is much better suited out of a revolver.  I have a Colt Officers Model Match in 22lr and it shoots 22 shorts, long and lr's.  It's also 70 years old.

Buy a 22 revolver, problem solved.

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

Gun is stock, no aftermarket anything, and mags are ruger original. I did clean them, and I did retention all the sprints to be exactly the same, same number of turns on all mags. just plinking at the range, not rapid firing.

Honestly, I'd try real ammo and see if the problem goes away. 

My best accuracy for the money round is whatever the current version of federal 711B that's available. But I have fed it a bunch of panic era 36gr federal bulk boxes and other than the too many dud rounds in a pack, it eats them just fine. 

Like I said, remington bulk stuff is on my shit list for a reason. If I really feel a need to purchase it, I can just set my money on fire and save myself the drive. 

some ammo is better than others but realistically, you shouldn't have this issue so as said, check the spring as dollars to donuts, that is your culprit. 

I've yet to have a 22 that wouldn't feed and I've quite a few that 'cough' 'cough' sank with my boat

4 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I have always said that 22lr is much better suited out of a revolver.  I have a Colt Officers Model Match in 22lr and it shoots 22 shorts, long and lr's.  It's also 70 years old.

Buy a 22 revolver, problem solved.

My 1940s Walther PP will eat any .22lr ammo. It will even reliably cycle subsonic ammo. 

If you use conventional gun lube  on  .22s  they  get dirty fast and cause  issues.

I use rem oil in the spray can  its a dry lube.  I laugh when I hear people talking about their 10/22s 

And how they haven't  cleaned them in twenty years.  

Is the spent case ejecting 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

My 10/22 only likes cci. It’s not stock but the remy stuff is garbage 

HAHA what's funny is my 10/22 hates CCI. I bought a bunch cause I always heard it was best for feeding. My 10/22 will EAT and SPIT out anything I feed it, but CCI. It just hates it for no damn reason. I only get jams with CCI LOL

Most likely the feed ramp is getting fouled from the lead nosed ammo.

I tell my customers to stay away from Thunderbolts & Golden Bee's for that reason. Yes, some actions have no problem shooting lead nose, but .22's are finiky and I always recommend CCI Mini-Mags - cleanest and most reliable

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Danno said:

How is this helping his problem. Telling some one how much better your guns are does not help them with theirs. 

You're correct that it doesn't help the OP, but what I said is the truth.  Expecting a 22lr semi auto to run reliably is also a falsehood.  

Meh, I've put thousands or rounds through my 10/22 and MKIII  all cheapo federal bulk champion and match .22lr HV, I dont recall a single failure.. both lead and copper coated.

I do clean them every so often though. 

I've got mini mags stocked and packed away somewhere.. I've never had the need to dig them out... 

13 hours ago, Danno said:

How is this helping his problem. Telling some one how much better your guns are does not help them with theirs. 

I was responding to @Ray Ray post, that's why I quoted it. I was not telling someone that my gun was better than theirs. I was pointing out that semi autos .22lr CAN run reliably contrary to the post I quoted. 

How is your post helping the OP?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MartyZ said:

Never had ejecting problems, only feeding. The bullet doesn't go all the way into the chamber and ends up vertical. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics

So completely missing the chamber and hitting the end of the barrel sideways? If so, I'd see how they are presenting in a loaded mag. That kind of behavior is typical of feed lip problems where the rim is held onto, but the rest flops around. 

34 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

So completely missing the chamber and hitting the end of the barrel sideways? If so, I'd see how they are presenting in a loaded mag. That kind of behavior is typical of feed lip problems where the rim is held onto, but the rest flops around. 

Agree...

18 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

I dunno. No real feed ramps to polish and the buffer/ return is literally a a steel rod. Sooo I think short cycling, not enough return inertia to ass jamb rounds in chamber. The feed ramps appear to be in the mag

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

So my mags are bad?

Mags not bad if they feed everything else.  I have a Marlin 25N bolt action that eats everything except Winchester hyper velocity.  I've shot just about every kind of CCI ammo, Federal Automatch and ValPak, Aguila Super Extra (Mexican Mini-Mags), Winchester bulk pack and a few others.  Not one issue until I tried the Winchester HV ammo.

The problem I was having could have been related to the magazine, or could have been the way the bullet rides the feed ramps.  But the problem was with the ammo, not the rifle.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Also.... store .22 nose up. The primer will drift from the rim over time due to Newton invention of gravity,

So those of you storing mass quantities of bulk packs, dump them all out tonight and carefully re-pack so that every round is pointing up 

if that sounds like too much trouble, just give them to me and I’ll take care of them. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 10X said:

So those of you storing mass quantities of bulk packs, dump them all out tonight and carefully re-pack so that every round is pointing up 

if that sounds like too much trouble, just give them to me and I’ll take care of them. 

Ha!!! Gotcha on smert