MartyZ

36gr feeding issues in 10/22

you guys are nuts

I shoot every brand, store it loose, boxed, up, down, etc etc and I don't have any of the issues I see people talking about with 22lr over the years.

clean, lube, inspect your springs, examine your mags and inspect ammo for obvious defects-this is what people should be doing regardless

Marlin 60 is the best feeding semi 22lr bar none, not even a debate

Ruger 10/22 has stellar reputation as do their mags

semi auto pistols I can't comments, would never waste my permit on one but revolver, giddy up !!!!!!

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

you guys are nuts

I shoot every brand, store it loose, boxed, up, down, etc etc and I don't have any of the issues I see people talking about with 22lr over the years.

clean, lube, inspect your springs, examine your mags and inspect ammo for obvious defects-this is what people should be doing regardless

Marlin 60 is the best feeding semi 22lr bar none, not even a debate

Ruger 10/22 has stellar reputation as do their mags

semi auto pistols I can't comments, would never waste my permit on one but revolver, giddy up !!!!!!

Ok my hat

I don't shoot the 10/22 myself, my wife does. I finally got her into shooting and she loves plinking at clays, watching them shatter. She won't even shoot at paper. Anyway, the constant failures are frustrating her, and I don't want her to give up.

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Ok my hat

well c'mon, how utterly ridiculous is it to go through all your 22lr and put it upright?  I mean in all my time I've never heard of this, it sounds like a Bidenism.  Now you may not agree with what I said above most of the issues people encounter with 22lr is a result of the person, unclean weapon, or normal wear parts for a firearm that is made cheaply

One of the most complaints regarding 22lr ammos is rem thunderbolt but guess what, not a single issue in my marlin 60s, 10/22s or bolt 22s.  newsflash, 22lr is a common, consistent, easily made ammo that doesn't cause 90% of the issues people claim they do.  Sure the lead noses are soft but again, inspect your ammo.

respectfully of course

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

I don't shoot the 10/22 myself, my wife does. I finally got her into shooting and she loves plinking at clays, watching them shatter. She won't even shoot at paper. Anyway, the constant failures are frustrating her, and I don't want her to give up.

I'm heading out to cjrpc Friday and you both are welcome to join me.  Perhaps we can identify what is wrong.  could be fun!

let's not forget people, most of these 22lr rifles are made for less than $100 with cheap parts.  While the technology is old, the parts matter.  Take apart an older 10/22/marlin 60 from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and compare to today's production; it's almost criminal how much more 'cheaply' they are made. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

it's almost criminal how much more 'cheaply' they are made. 

About five years ago I went to look at a new base $199.99 10/22.  I have pellet guns that are more like a rifle than that 10/22 I held.  No idea what kind of wood the stock was made of, they just said it was hardwood, it felt hollow, add to that painted, not blued, too much plastic and the barrel looks like if you leaned it up against a wall for a spell, it would get a bend in it.  It saddened me.

I've heard the 870 has taken some hits on fit and finish and they use plastic trigger guards and mystery hardwood furniture now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MartyZ said:

I still need to try other brands. I never had this problem in the past with other brands of ammo.

You answered your own question.

I had a similar issue with a brand new Browning BPS 20 gauge.  Bought a bunch of Rio ammo for it; and it jammed on every other shell.  Changed to Winchester/Federal/Remington...no problems.

Gave the Rio shells to @Smokin .50 ... His 20 gauge loved 'em.  

So I have a great 20 gauge that doesn't like Rios.  You have a great .22 that doesn't like 36 grain Remington hollowpoints.

The solution is simple...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

You answered your own question.

I had a similar issue with a brand new Browning BPS 20 gauge.  Bought a bunch of Rio ammo for it; and it jammed on every other shell.  Changed to Winchester/Federal/Remington...no problems.

Gave the Rio shells to @Smokin .50 ... His 20 gauge loved 'em.  

So I have a great 20 gauge that doesn't like Rios.  You have a great .22 that doesn't like 36 grain Remington hollowpoints.

The solution is simple...

@W2MC I remember that from last year when we shot together at Lehigh Sporting Clays.  Those Rio's were high speed 7 1/2's, leaving the muzzle at 1290 fps.  Real clay-crushers!  I used those in my gun (CZ Ringneck SxS) & swapped-out some low brass I'd brought that day, saving the low brass for teachin' kids to shoot.  One of the MANY ways you've helped https://www.cnjfo.com these past several years!  

Not every .22 cal feed ramp is made to function-fire every cartridge.  Newer guns that weren't cleaned prior to first use are another problem, as packing grease mixes with powder residue & turns into CEMENT, causing all sorts of feeding issues :) 

Nice seeing you on Saturday!

~R

12 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

About five years ago I went to look at a new base $199.99 10/22.  I have pellet guns that are more like a rifle than that 10/22 I held.  No idea what kind of wood the stock was made of, they just said it was hardwood, it felt hollow, add to that painted, not blued, too much plastic and the barrel looks like if you leaned it up against a wall for a spell, it would get a bend in it.  It saddened me.

I've heard the 870 has taken some hits on fit and finish and they use plastic trigger guards and mystery hardwood furniture now.

true on the 870.   yes sir it's almost criminal to be honest.  I pulled two apart (10/22) from 35yr difference and was blown away.  

is what it is

despite the cheapness, no reason weapons should not work with various ammo given it's all been pretty much standardized.  So the mags are an issue but 10/22 mags are renowned for their reliability so then the bullet head given the lead is soft and deformed heads are common.  I honestly have never experienced even a 10th of the issues you will see people cite when talking 22lr.  Maybe I'm lucky or maybe my regime of cleaning, inspecting, etc works...or both!  lol

I doooooooooooo love me some 22lr

I dont know about the 10/22,  but I had a similar issue with my Mk3 and Remingtons.  The feed ramp on the Mk3 is for lack of a better term "sharp".  The bullets were hitting the edge of the feed ramp and shaving small slivers off,  till the point where it just jammed.

When I took the gun apart there was a large amount of lead built up on the feed ramp.  I have not had this issue with any other brand of ammo.  The federal bulk packs (both round nose and HP) have been pretty close to 100% for me.

23 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@RUTGERS95 I called it!

meh    I'll bet mine doesn't have that issue as my 10/22s or marlin 60s eat everything including thunderbolt.  I'd tell him to sell it and buy another because who wants a firearm that is ammo dependent????

should have bought a marlin 60 anyway:p

• FacePalm 1

On 3/4/2020 at 11:10 AM, Scorpio64 said:

A filthy gun makes for a difficult time diagnosing issues.  Even if the crud itself is not causing the issues, it can certainly hide them.

missed this

totally agree

I run my ARs and handguns dry for the first 1k rounds as lube masks issues.  22lr firearms are a little different and from my experience, the buffer springs and mags are usually the culprit.  Remember, these weapons cost maybe 30-50 to make on the high end.

What is most glaring is if you pull apart the same family of firearms from different years it will hit you just how different parts can be.  Springs have fewer coils, thinner etc etc.  Buffers are made of different material to