Jump to content
MartyZ

36gr feeding issues in 10/22

Recommended Posts

you guys are nuts

 

I shoot every brand, store it loose, boxed, up, down, etc etc and I don't have any of the issues I see people talking about with 22lr over the years.

clean, lube, inspect your springs, examine your mags and inspect ammo for obvious defects-this is what people should be doing regardless

Marlin 60 is the best feeding semi 22lr bar none, not even a debate

Ruger 10/22 has stellar reputation as do their mags

semi auto pistols I can't comments, would never waste my permit on one but revolver, giddy up !!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

you guys are nuts

 

I shoot every brand, store it loose, boxed, up, down, etc etc and I don't have any of the issues I see people talking about with 22lr over the years.

clean, lube, inspect your springs, examine your mags and inspect ammo for obvious defects-this is what people should be doing regardless

Marlin 60 is the best feeding semi 22lr bar none, not even a debate

Ruger 10/22 has stellar reputation as do their mags

semi auto pistols I can't comments, would never waste my permit on one but revolver, giddy up !!!!!!

 

Ok my hat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't shoot the 10/22 myself, my wife does. I finally got her into shooting and she loves plinking at clays, watching them shatter. She won't even shoot at paper. Anyway, the constant failures are frustrating her, and I don't want her to give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Ok my hat

well c'mon, how utterly ridiculous is it to go through all your 22lr and put it upright?  I mean in all my time I've never heard of this, it sounds like a Bidenism.  Now you may not agree with what I said above most of the issues people encounter with 22lr is a result of the person, unclean weapon, or normal wear parts for a firearm that is made cheaply

One of the most complaints regarding 22lr ammos is rem thunderbolt but guess what, not a single issue in my marlin 60s, 10/22s or bolt 22s.  newsflash, 22lr is a common, consistent, easily made ammo that doesn't cause 90% of the issues people claim they do.  Sure the lead noses are soft but again, inspect your ammo.

respectfully of course

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

I don't shoot the 10/22 myself, my wife does. I finally got her into shooting and she loves plinking at clays, watching them shatter. She won't even shoot at paper. Anyway, the constant failures are frustrating her, and I don't want her to give up.

I'm heading out to cjrpc Friday and you both are welcome to join me.  Perhaps we can identify what is wrong.  could be fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let's not forget people, most of these 22lr rifles are made for less than $100 with cheap parts.  While the technology is old, the parts matter.  Take apart an older 10/22/marlin 60 from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and compare to today's production; it's almost criminal how much more 'cheaply' they are made. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

it's almost criminal how much more 'cheaply' they are made. 

About five years ago I went to look at a new base $199.99 10/22.  I have pellet guns that are more like a rifle than that 10/22 I held.  No idea what kind of wood the stock was made of, they just said it was hardwood, it felt hollow, add to that painted, not blued, too much plastic and the barrel looks like if you leaned it up against a wall for a spell, it would get a bend in it.  It saddened me.

I've heard the 870 has taken some hits on fit and finish and they use plastic trigger guards and mystery hardwood furniture now.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MartyZ said:

I still need to try other brands. I never had this problem in the past with other brands of ammo.

You answered your own question.

I had a similar issue with a brand new Browning BPS 20 gauge.  Bought a bunch of Rio ammo for it; and it jammed on every other shell.  Changed to Winchester/Federal/Remington...no problems.

Gave the Rio shells to @Smokin .50 ... His 20 gauge loved 'em.  

So I have a great 20 gauge that doesn't like Rios.  You have a great .22 that doesn't like 36 grain Remington hollowpoints.

The solution is simple...

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, W2MC said:

You answered your own question.

I had a similar issue with a brand new Browning BPS 20 gauge.  Bought a bunch of Rio ammo for it; and it jammed on every other shell.  Changed to Winchester/Federal/Remington...no problems.

Gave the Rio shells to @Smokin .50 ... His 20 gauge loved 'em.  

So I have a great 20 gauge that doesn't like Rios.  You have a great .22 that doesn't like 36 grain Remington hollowpoints.

The solution is simple...

@W2MC I remember that from last year when we shot together at Lehigh Sporting Clays.  Those Rio's were high speed 7 1/2's, leaving the muzzle at 1290 fps.  Real clay-crushers!  I used those in my gun (CZ Ringneck SxS) & swapped-out some low brass I'd brought that day, saving the low brass for teachin' kids to shoot.  One of the MANY ways you've helped https://www.cnjfo.com these past several years!  

Not every .22 cal feed ramp is made to function-fire every cartridge.  Newer guns that weren't cleaned prior to first use are another problem, as packing grease mixes with powder residue & turns into CEMENT, causing all sorts of feeding issues :) 

Nice seeing you on Saturday!

~R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

About five years ago I went to look at a new base $199.99 10/22.  I have pellet guns that are more like a rifle than that 10/22 I held.  No idea what kind of wood the stock was made of, they just said it was hardwood, it felt hollow, add to that painted, not blued, too much plastic and the barrel looks like if you leaned it up against a wall for a spell, it would get a bend in it.  It saddened me.

I've heard the 870 has taken some hits on fit and finish and they use plastic trigger guards and mystery hardwood furniture now.

 

true on the 870.   yes sir it's almost criminal to be honest.  I pulled two apart (10/22) from 35yr difference and was blown away.  

is what it is

despite the cheapness, no reason weapons should not work with various ammo given it's all been pretty much standardized.  So the mags are an issue but 10/22 mags are renowned for their reliability so then the bullet head given the lead is soft and deformed heads are common.  I honestly have never experienced even a 10th of the issues you will see people cite when talking 22lr.  Maybe I'm lucky or maybe my regime of cleaning, inspecting, etc works...or both!  lol

I doooooooooooo love me some 22lr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

maybe my regime of cleaning, inspecting, etc works

A filthy gun makes for a difficult time diagnosing issues.  Even if the crud itself is not causing the issues, it can certainly hide them.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know about the 10/22,  but I had a similar issue with my Mk3 and Remingtons.  The feed ramp on the Mk3 is for lack of a better term "sharp".  The bullets were hitting the edge of the feed ramp and shaving small slivers off,  till the point where it just jammed.

When I took the gun apart there was a large amount of lead built up on the feed ramp.  I have not had this issue with any other brand of ammo.  The federal bulk packs (both round nose and HP) have been pretty close to 100% for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • AlderferBanner.jpg

  • Supporting Vendors

  • Latest Topics

  • Posts

    • So update... I spoke to a lawyer today (not Needleman), I told him all the dirt, just like here, he feels I have a case. He  recommends all his clients take a voluntary psyche eval to prove that they aren't a danger to public safety, it's good ammo to strengthen my case. I think I will also take a firearms safety training course too, whichever law firm I go with. I am working my way down the list of lawyers, I will give Needleman a call this week as well as a couple of others. If anyone has recommendations not mentioned above, please chime in. However I am committed to taking this to court. It's a good thing I use Google Voice for my main phone number, I have every text ever exchanged between my ex-wife and I, from the day we met, literally, from the day we planned our first date, up to the day of divorce. New phone? Doesn't matter, every text is in your Google account.  It should help. I'll give incremental updates as they happen. One question I do have for you guys who have been through this, what happens if the judge overrides the chief, I purchase my firearm, and I apply for another handgun permit 2 years from now? Can the Chief deny it if I am still an upstanding citizen? Or do I have to go to court all over again for another firearm? Let's say the CZ P-10 C isn't for me and I want a Glock 19, do I need a new permit for the new gun, or can I exchange my gun in a purchase, and just have 1 firearm on record, without intervention of the Chief, regardless of the model weapon? Also, has anybody ever recovered legal fees when overturning the Chief's decision in Superior Court? The funny thing was, I told this lawyer that I applied early December, and was just denied last week. He seemed appalled.
    • Murphy is talking “May 20th” to open the state back up   He’s got support and FEMA resources to manage test centers until the end of May.  I don’t see how you can maintain social distancing of 6’ at indoor ranges. New shooters getting instruction from 6’? RSO’s helping shooters from 6’? Staff at ranges that rent guns wiping rental guns down and disinfecting them for each new shooter. No one is prepared for that   For members, maybe it can be done.  It’s not happening for a while.    
    • I ended up ordering a Credo 1-6x SFP.  Thanks for your help.  
    • Now I need this recipe... @Zeke this is your moment of salvation 
×
×
  • Create New...