PDM

Another Wrongful Arrest

2 hours ago, deerpark said:

Youre mad at a lawyer whose specialty is defending Americans from unconstitutional/immoral NJ laws?

Clearly, you do not know this guys background.

He is NOT defending Americans from unconstitutional/immoral NJ laws. He takes on ONLY high profile arrests for his own career boosting. He is a publicity Whore.

Go ahead, You call him, I will tell you what you are already.

The Tree!

dog pissing.jpeg

1 hour ago, Downtownv said:

Clearly, you do not know this guys background.

He is NOT defending Americans from unconstitutional/immoral NJ laws. He takes on ONLY high profile arrests for his own career boosting. He is a publicity Whore.

Go ahead, You call him, I will tell you what you are already.

The Tree!

dog pissing.jpeg

Youre saying that he cant be hired in exchange for money/payment?

You really think he needs publicity?  Is there any gun owner in this state who doesnt already know the name Evan Nappen?

Defending Americans and gaining publicity are not mutually exclusive. 

Not sure how anyone can argue that we're worse off for having the guy around unless youre a cop or DA who is pissed that you couldnt throw one of us into a cage due to his defense. 

3 minutes ago, deerpark said:

Youre saying that he cant be hired in exchange for money/payment?

You really think he needs publicity?  Is there any gun owner in this state who doesnt already know the name Evan Nappen?

Defending Americans and gaining publicity are not mutually exclusive. 

Not sure how anyone can argue that we're worse off for having the guy around unless youre a cop or DA who is pissed that you couldnt throw one of us into a cage due to his defense. 

No what I'm saying his he Will NOT help you or me or any of us, unless we are a high profile case.

FACT!

I called him, before. I Know what he is.

There are lot's of Pro2A lawyers that would defend you..... HE is not one of them!

F Nappen!

ps you better have one or 2 defense lawyers names on your phone anyhow, just don't count on Nappen, EVER!

Surely, others on this board, can tell you of their experience with the great and wonderful OZ.

Give me Scott Bach any day.

Larry Bitterman, GREAT defense attorney

In fact, I am starting a new post ....

Wrongfully Arrested NJ Gun Owner Considering Civil Suit

Posted at 2:00 pm on March 19, 2020 by Tom Knighton

If there’s one state in the nation I refuse to even pass through, it’s New Jersey. Nothing against many of the people there, mind you. It’s simply the fact that I’m pretty sure with my luck, I’ll be arrested and prosecuted for the jacketed hollow points I typically carry in my EDC weapon.

However, residents of the state aren’t any better off. Take the story of Roosevelt Twyne.

Mr. Twyne was fortunate, though. Eventually, the charges were dropped, but not before his civil rights had been trampled on more than any decent human being should stand for.

Now, he’s considering taking action of his own.

The New Jersey man who was arrested for illegally carrying a gun despite having a valid permit is exploring legal action against authorities after charges were dropped on Friday.

Roosevelt Twyne’s lawyer told the Washington Free Beacon he is researching legal avenues for recovering damages from the Roselle Park Police Department and the prosecutor’s office. Attorney Evan Nappen said Twyne, who has been on unpaid suspension from his job as a licensed security guard since the February arrest, is “extremely pleased” the case was dropped. He said, however, there are significant issues left to resolve, and Twyne is looking at the best way to seek damages over the ordeal.

“We still need to get his gun back,” Nappen told the Free Beacon. “We’re working on that. Then, of course, you want to clear the record with expungement so he doesn’t have an arrest record. We’re looking at and weighing the options on further civil action.”

Nappen said the civil case faces significant legal hurdles, but it is a necessary step to prevent New Jersey gun owners from being put through similar circumstances by law enforcement officials. Twyne’s situation has also prompted Republican lawmakers in the state to call for changes to gun laws in order to better protect owners.

“New Jersey’s over-zealous gun laws have enabled scenarios where law-abiding citizens—in this case, a security guard nonetheless—are being prosecuted,” Assemblyman John DiMaio (R.) said in a statement. “Unfortunately, those good intentions have bad consequences. We want to fix that.”

Good luck with that.

Frankly, I hope Twyne is able to get all that he wants, potentially without the lawsuit. It’s not that I want to spare the Roselle Park Police Department, but Mr. Twyne himself. Lawsuits are involved and expensive, so skipping that would be ideal.

If not, or if the legal services are being provided pro bono, then yeah, hammer them.

The truth of the matter is that New Jersey’s draconian ban on hollow-point ammunition is probably the dumbest bit of gun control I have ever seen. As bad as other gun control laws are, most of them result in an annoyance for gun owners. There’s the endangerment of the public, of course, but not like banning this particular type of ammunition that’s designed to prevent over-penetration and thus minimize danger to the general public.

While I’m glad Twyne has had charges dropped against him, my hope is that he’ll get his record fully expunged and get his firearm returned to him. With the ammunition in question.

Lord knows, he deserves far more than that.

https://bearingarms.com/tomk/2020/03/19/gun-owner-considering-civil-suit/?utm_source=badaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=bc1d86e1053dd21c60a121534def959c

Hope he hit's the Lottery!

9 hours ago, Old_Hunter said:

Evan declared residence in the free state of NH.

http://www.efnappen.com/about.html

Right, but he still practices here. 

10 hours ago, Downtownv said:

No what I'm saying his he Will NOT help you or me or any of us, unless we are a high profile case.

FACT!

I called him, before. I Know what he is.

There are lot's of Pro2A lawyers that would defend you..... HE is not one of them!

F Nappen!

ps you better have one or 2 defense lawyers names on your phone anyhow, just don't count on Nappen, EVER!

I think he touched you in a bad place. 

Im sorry.

:-(

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Downtownv said:

Posted at 2:00 pm on March 19, 2020 by Tom Knighton

[ edited for brevity]

If he can find an attorney to take the case on contingency, he should sue. But in the interest of saving him the trouble:

--Qualified immunity. Next case.

10 hours ago, Old_Hunter said:

Evan declared residence in the free state of NH. He did so years ago. 

http://www.efnappen.com/about.html

Funny thing is no one that I've talked to up here has ever heard of him. Granted hes about 2 hours south of me but still my local gun shop owner has never heard of him, the only sporting Clay's range owner has never heard of him, even the guys at green mountian barrel works have never heard of him. Kinda strange 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, deerpark said:

In your example, wouldnt the DUI be the add on charge?

An Add on charge? 

Driving Drunk is always illegal...

An add on charge is nothing more than something which is normally legal, becomes automatically illegal in the commission of a crime. 

But thats the point of his example.... 

If you are stopped for illegal activity, and it leads someone to discover more illegal activity... it does not constitute an add on charge.. 

I'll give you another example.. you could be driving to the gun range.. which would normally be legal.. lets say the cops stop you and find a dime bag of weed.... the guns are now add on charges to the possession of a CDS

N.J.S.A. 2C:39-4.1 makes it a second degree crime to possess a firearm during the course of a CDS crime.

Charges dropped against Roosevelt Twyne most likely due to lawful, concerned public outcry...

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2020/03/13/criminal-charges-dismissed-roosevelt-twyne/

Have charges been brought against Roselle Park?