JohnnyB

Price gouging on essentials! Gone totally nuts!

Okay,  things are really going crazy now!  Forget finding ANY hand sanitizer in any store....Now isopropyl rubbing alcohol at 91% or better is gone from store shelves!You can't even get the ingredients to make your own hand sanitizer anymore!  Forget face masks as well.  Sure, you can find all these things for 5 to 10 times the price we paid  just a few weeks ago!

Try to buy isopropyl alcohol on Amazon!  There used to be 50 or so pages full.  Now down to a couple pages of related items because they were told by the government to take down every price gouging offer!  You can't buy freaking rubbing alcohol on freaking Amazon....SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG HERE!!!

Might I suggest that if members here find a source for masks, alcohol, sanitizer etc at reasonable prices both online and in stores that we share that information here with our friends? Thank you.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Okay,  things are really going crazy now!  Forget finding ANY hand sanitizer in any store....Now isopropyl rubbing alcohol at 91% or better is gone from store shelves!You can't even get the ingredients to make your own hand sanitizer anymore!  Forget face masks as well.  Sure, you can find all these things for 5 to 10 times the price we paid  just a few weeks ago!

Try to buy isopropyl alcohol on Amazon!  There used to be 50 or so pages full.  Now down to a couple pages of related items because they were told by the government to take down every price gouging offer!  You can't buy freaking rubbing alcohol on freaking Amazon....SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG HERE!!!

Might I suggest that if members here find a source for masks, alcohol, sanitizer etc at reasonable prices both online and in stores that we share that information here with our friends? Thank you.

Just by dawn dish soap and wash your hands with water....hand sanitizer is the latest crazy fad....that sheeple need to hoarde...

The alcohol went because people saw the how to make your own video....better use would be to make case lube with lanolin amd alcohol.

People gotta relax.....and the news needs to quite down before they incite the tipping point we can't tilt back from...

• Agree 5

18 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Okay,  things are really going crazy now!  Forget finding ANY hand sanitizer in any store....Now isopropyl rubbing alcohol at 91% or better is gone from store shelves!You can't even get the ingredients to make your own hand sanitizer anymore!

I tried to warn you guys back in the end of January, but you all thought I was nuts... You should listen to your elders! :good:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

A friend manages a liquor store.  They used to sell about a case each of Everclear and Spiritus (Polish straight grain alcohol) a month.  They sold 17 cases of each in the past two weeks.

I use that to make my homemade limoncello! That stuff is WAY too expensive to use as a substitute for Isopropyl! I am in NO WAY panicking nor am I suggesting anyone should! This thing will be gone as quick as it came!  There are times when washing your hands is simply not possible or convenient! I have never purchased hand sanitizer but my company recently picked up a new client....Three very large hospitals in the Philadelphia area.  Fortunately, as the manager, I don't have to visit them daily like my workers do.  I did have to do a walk through.  It included EVERY area of all 3 hospitals!  ICU, ER, you name it! They had Hand Sanitizer dispensers every 10 feet and I think I hit every one!

There are times when it's needed and I am simply a bit uncomfortable not being able to obtain it!  I posted this to see  if we could help each other by working together in these weird times....Not to criticize each other!  

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I use that to make my homemade limoncello! That stuff is WAY too expensive to use as a substitute for Isopropyl! I am in NO WAY panicking nor am I suggesting anyone should! This thing will be gone as quick as it came!  There are times when washing your hands is simply not possible or convenient! I have never purchased hand sanitizer but my company recently picked up a new client....Three very large hospitals in the Philadelphia area.  Fortunately, as the manager, I don't have to visit them daily like my workers do.  I did have to do a walk through.  It included EVERY area of all 3 hospitals!  ICU, ER, you name it! They had Hand Sanitizer dispensers every 10 feet and I think I hit every one!

There are times when it's needed and I am simply a bit uncomfortable not being able to obtain it!  I posted this to see  if we could help each other by working together in these weird times....Not to criticize each other!  

Not criticizing you just showing options. 

Keep in mind of you use hand sanitizer a lot it will dry out your skin.  That makes it easier for the virus to enter your bloodstream.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Prepare your mind...this is NOT going away until there is a vaccine....until there is a vaccine rhat works...this is now endemic in society.

We will blunt it in so much as we can, if like other respiratory virii, it could possibly recede in summer, come fall winter flu season...its back.

All we r doing now is trying to buy time...for the vaccines in development to prove effective.

That is what i have garnered from waaaaayyy to much reading about it.

33 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Prepare your mind...this is NOT going away until there is a vaccine....until there is a vaccine rhat works...this is now endemic in society.

We will blunt it in so much as we can, if like other respiratory virii, it could possibly recede in summer, come fall winter flu season...its back.

All we r doing now is trying to buy time...for the vaccines in development to prove effective.

That is what i have garnered from waaaaayyy to much reading about it.

there was a journal article that stated as this virus mutates rapidly as it spreads, and it's weakening as it does so, so there's a probability it'll burn itself out.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sota said:

there was a journal article that stated as this virus mutates rapidly as it spreads, and it's weakening as it does so, so there's a probability it'll burn itself out.

I didn't see that ....please share !

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Prepare your mind...this is NOT going away until there is a vaccine....until there is a vaccine rhat works...

We don't know that.  

It might come back seasonally, and remain a problem until an effective vaccine is developed (at which point a vocal minority will stop demanding that something be done now, and resume demanding that they not be forced to vaccinate :facepalm:).

Or, Covid19 could simply vanish after this year.   SARS was also a coronavirus, and after emerging in 2003, it hasn't been seen anywhere since 2004.   Similarly, MERS is a coronavirus that was a big deal in 2012, but now only infects a handful of people a year.  No vaccine or treatment exists for either.

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

We don't know that.  

It might come back seasonally, and remain a problem until an effective vaccine is developed (at which point a vocal minority will stop demanding that something be done now, and resume demanding that they not be forced to vaccinate :facepalm:).

Or, Covid19 could simply vanish after this year.   SARS was also a coronavirus, and after emerging in 2003, it hasn't been seen anywhere since 2004.   Similarly, MERS is a coronavirus that was a big deal in 2012, but now only infects a handful of people a year.  No vaccine or treatment exists for either.

You of course *are* 100% correct - however, I subscribe to - "No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength" - and we are in a battle and we are now adapting our plans accordingly.

But, for me - I would rather be pleasantly surprised by that occurance - than caught mentally/emotionally flatfooted that I did not consider a potential reality.  Is the Israeli Tenth Man Rule a thing or just a joke - ?

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking - 

Ever think that SARS went to sleep/dormant and stayed *in* the population and got re-triggered? 

Who knows I am not a epidemiologist and only expressing what I am expecting based on what I have been reading - and GOD knows I hope *YOU ARE 100% correct* !  :)

11 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

You can still buy Alcohol from McMaster.  It will ship today.  I am not sure how long that will last though. 

I have been using McMaster as my gauge.

I identified the WuHuFlu as a big problem in January around the 20th.  I studied it for a bit and figured it was going to be a real problem.  I have contacts with our Asian facility so I got a bit of early warning on it.  On the 26th, I ordered a 2 week Mountain house kit just as a baseline.   I have weeks of food year round, but I wanted to top off so to speak.

Anyway, right around then I bought some masks.  We use them for work, but I bought some forward as I figured they'd run out.

I started watching them go out of stock, now they are gone.

Then I started watching Full face mask respirators...the kind that cost $150+.   They started to go and are now gone.

Then Hand Sanitizer..gone now.

Now I'm watching Alcohol.  Most is still in stock, some have gone out, and come back.  Based on the previous items, I'm expecting there's maybe another week or so.

https://www.mcmaster.com/alcohol

Buy it while you can.   When others find out about it, it will go overnight.   

• Thanks 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

You can still buy Alcohol from McMaster.  It will ship today.  I am not sure how long that will last though. 

I have been using McMaster as my gauge.

I identified the WuHuFlu as a big problem in January around the 20th.  I studied it for a bit and figured it was going to be a real problem.  I have contacts with our Asian facility so I got a bit of early warning on it.  On the 26th, I ordered a 2 week Mountain house kit just as a baseline.   I have weeks of food year round, but I wanted to top off so to speak.

Anyway, right around then I bought some masks.  We use them for work, but I bought some forward as I figured they'd run out.

I started watching them go out of stock, now they are gone.

Then I started watching Full face mask respirators...the kind that cost $150+.   They started to go and are now gone.

Then Hand Sanitizer..gone now.

Now I'm watching Alcohol.  Most is still in stock, some have gone out, and come back.  Based on the previous items, I'm expecting there's maybe another week or so.

https://www.mcmaster.com/alcohol

Buy it while you can.   When others find out about it, it will go overnight.   

NICE !  Got some 99% to make case lube with lanolin........  :)

Thanks Malsua.  I just placed an order with McMaster for several bottles of alcohol and wipes. They were listed as in stock and shipping today. The only thing I find troubling is that they do not tell you what the shipping will cost until some time after you place the order.  Hope they don't price gouge on the shipping.

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking -

Sounds like this forum.

4 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

A lot of people are putting hope in a vaccine. Problem is, these take quite a while to develop and test. No chance of getting one soon, it's probably a year away..

Then, that also depends on mutation of the virus. They might develop a vaccine for the current strain, only to have it mutate, and 6 months from now, the vaccine is useless.

Just look at the effective rate of our current seasonal flu vaccine, which has been developed annually for decades. This doesn't give me much confidence...

flu effectivness.jpg

31 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Thanks Malsua.  I just placed an order with McMaster for several bottles of alcohol and wipes. They were listed as in stock and shipping today. The only thing I find troubling is that they do not tell you what the shipping will cost until some time after you place the order.  Hope they don't price gouge on the shipping.

Mcmaster is a pretty good company and does not gouge.  That said, Alcohol is a Hazmat so it's going to be at least $10 more.  Figure at least $16 bucks or so.   It is what it is, I buy from them every single day.  They charge a premium for everything because they have everything.  If I order by 11:30, I get it same day by about 3:30, but we are a big UPS depot and get multiple trucks a day.

Thanks.

Btw, my local Costco in Hazlet is out of alcohol.  However, ironically they had plenty of Flents "Wipe'nClear" eyeglass wipes in stock in the same aisle.   Three boxes of 75 were about 10 bucks.  Work great on eyeglasses which is why I purchased them  While it does not say it on the cartons, I realized once I got home that they are isopropyl alcohol wipes.  The individual wipe packets list the ingredients as "Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, and Detergent".  They measure about 4x6". However only lightly impregnated with liquid.  One wipe is fine for eyeglasses but would likely need to use two to sanitize your hands.  Will be interesting to see how long they last once people catch on.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

They charge a premium for everything because they have everything. 

The website certainly isn't premium, very 2005ish bare bones.  I like it, easy to navigate and fast.

@MalsuaHow quickly do they e-mail an order confirmation with the grand total.

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

The website certainly isn't premium, very 2005ish bare bones.  I like it, easy to navigate and fast.

It's one of the best websites for finding stuff you need in an industrial setting.

Need an SDS Masonry drill bit carbide tip?  In stock.  Ships today.

I wish everything was this easy.

12 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Thanks.

Btw, my local Costco in Hazlet is out of alcohol.  However, ironically they had plenty of Flents "Wipe'nClear" eyeglass wipes in stock in the same aisle.   Three boxes of 75 were about 10 bucks.  Work great on eyeglasses which is why I purchased them  While it does not say it on the cartons, I realized once I got home that they are isopropyl alcohol wipes.  The individual wipe packets list the ingredients as "Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, and Detergent".  They measure about 4x6". However only lightly impregnated with liquid.  One wipe is fine for eyeglasses but would likely need to use two to sanitize your hands.  Will be interesting to see how long they last once people catch on.

Those may be marginally effective at best.  Does it say what the alcohol content is?  60% or higher is recommended for killing the virus, and that assumes your hands are wet and kept wet with the solution for 20-30 seconds or more.   

They may be of some value even if ineffective at killing the virus, if they are removing some contamination from your hands.  Just remember to think of your hands as 'less contaminated' rather than 'virus free' after you use them.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Just remember to think of your hands as 'less contaminated' rather than 'virus free' after you use them.

Think of it as having destroyed the weakest and now you have only the strongest remaining on your hands.  When something says it kills 99.x% of this or that, they never mention that the remaining fraction are the strongest and most resistant.

7 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Think of it as having destroyed the weakest and now you have only the strongest remaining on your hands.  When something says it kills 99.x% of this or that, they never mention that the remaining fraction are the strongest and most resistant.

That's kinda true.   The development of antibiotic resistance is a big friggin' deal when an antibiotic leaves part of a microbial population behind due to some genetic modification that confers resistance. That resistance gene gets passed on to new generations, and that's trouble.

Resistance isn't a big concern with non-specific means of killing microbes...boiling, intense UV exposure, soap and water, alcohol--because they cause catastrophic yet non-specific damage.  It's hard for an organism to become resistant to so many bad things happening at once.