JohnnyB

Price gouging on essentials! Gone totally nuts!

There's a much quoted meme that I'm going to repeat here about Truth.  (There are lots of version, they essentially boil down to the same thing)

There are 3 stages of Truth.

First it's ridiculed  (Just the flu Bro)

Then it is vehemently opposed (This is just the media trying to take down economy and you're helping!)

Then it is seen as self-evident (Where can I buy hand sanitizer and what is some good stuff to store for long term)

I started getting stage 1 in January when I was telling co-workers they should get some weeks of supplies laid in just in case they want to stay home if something is burning through the area.

Today people are asking me if I know how to make Hand Sanitizer and what's some good stuff to buy.  It's amazing really.

I will also just say this.  We have about two week or so of normalcy left if all the social distancing and closing of stuff doesn't help.  We can hope it does.  If you're not ready now, you need to make yourself ready.    We can hope this thing passes without any major interruption but it's looking like it will get worse before it gets better.

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

I will also just say this.  We have about two week or so of normalcy left if all the social distancing and closing of stuff doesn't help.  We can hope it does.  If you're not ready now, you need to make yourself ready.    We can hope this thing passes without any major interruption but it's looking like it will get worse before it gets better.

I believe that too. I've seen some reports that the ramp up could continue another 10 weeks or more.

Which makes me go hmmm, when I see some schools and businesses say their shutting down for the next week or two. What are they thinking (I know they're not)? In two weeks they think everything will be back to normal?

Can you say "normalcy bias"?

• Agree 1

On 3/11/2020 at 11:22 AM, oldguysrule649 said:

Thanks Malsua.  I just placed an order with McMaster for several bottles of alcohol and wipes. They were listed as in stock and shipping today. The only thing I find troubling is that they do not tell you what the shipping will cost until some time after you place the order.  Hope they don't price gouge on the shipping.

An update. My McMaster order arrived at my door in 24 hours!  The standard shipping was a very reasonable $7.42.  Am very satisfied.  I had ordered 4 pints of 70% alcohol and a pack of disinfectant wipes. In hindsight, I perhaps should have skipped the wipes. Judging by their packaging, they appear to be industrial strength and will kill every virus within a hundred miles, lol.

44 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

An update. My McMaster order arrived at my door in 24 hours!  The standard shipping was a very reasonable $7.42.  Am very satisfied.  I had ordered 4 pints of 70% alcohol and a pack of disinfectant wipes. In hindsight, I perhaps should have skipped the wipes. Judging by their packaging, they appear to be industrial strength and will kill every virus within a hundred miles, lol.

Mcmaster is generally industrial/commercial stuff and you pay a premium.  The difference is they have EVERYTHING in stock and it ships immediately.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:22 AM, oldguysrule649 said:

Thanks Malsua.  I just placed an order with McMaster for several bottles of alcohol and wipes. They were listed as in stock and shipping today. The only thing I find troubling is that they do not tell you what the shipping will cost until some time after you place the order.  Hope they don't price gouge on the shipping.

Their shipping is high every day but I order them for work every day. Very good vendor. They won't over charge.