Underdog

Dog Attack

Of course, all of the replies are correct.  If any creature is threatening one's child with death or serious bodily harm, a comparable measure of force is called for.  But how do you do that?  In this situation, with the dog thrashing around with the child's arm in its mouth, and people standing close by, employing a firearm would be difficult, if not impossible.  Same with OC spray, although at least the consequences from that would not be life threatening to others.  

I would suggest that striking the dog in vital areas would be far more effective than simply trying to pull the dog off the child.  When pulled, the dog's instinct is to hang on tighter, and start to shake its head back and forth violently.  The man in the video eventually deploys a folding blade, and that seems to be what gets the dog's attention, convincing him to let go and run off.  The problem with that is that it takes him a relatively long time (several seconds) to get the knife into the fight.

Thank god, the child survived her injuries.  There is an Active Self Protection video of this, but I'm too lazy to find the link, so perhaps someone else will be kind enough to do so.  

This is part of the reason why I EDC.

I would have gutted that dog.   That said, the quickest way to get a dog to stop attacking is the grab the hind legs and wheelbarrow it.     If you can't do that, fingers in the eyes works too.

I dearly love dogs.   Attack a human and in the ground you go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Pitbulls are dangerous.  Prove me wrong. Waiting on someone to say "it's not the breed".

There are tens of thousands of pitbulls that never bite a person every year...

They are powerful animals, that's what makes them dangerous.  

I've been bit by many dogs, aggressive dogs... mostly little shit dogs and shepherds. Never a pit bull, even tho I've met on avg 3-4x more pits than any other dog.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

There are tens of thousands of pitbulls that never bite a person every year...

They are powerful animals, that's what makes them dangerous.  

I've been bit by many dogs, aggressive dogs... mostly little shit dogs and shepherds. Never a pit bull, even tho I've met on avg 3-4x more pits than any other dog.

Respectfully, the bites/attacks from little shit dogs are meaningless.

The disproportionate number of reports of pitbull attacks are because of the nature of the "breed' and their design.

They're fighting dogs.  They're designed and bred to fight/kill.

Little shit dogs and shepherds are not.

Added to that is the fact that many/most pitbull owners treat their dogs the same way they would treat a cute little poodle or lab.  "Damien never shows aggression to anyone in the family and he's the most loyal/trusting/couch potato dog in the world".  THey never see it coming...

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Respectfully, the bites/attacks from little shit dogs are meaningless.

The disproportionate number of reports of pitbull attacks are because of the nature of the "breed' and their design.

They're fighting dogs.  They're designed and bred to fight/kill.

Little shit dogs and shepherds are not.

Added to that is the fact that many/most pitbull owners treat their dogs the same way they would treat a cute little poodle or lab.  "Damien never shows aggression to anyone in the family and he's the most loyal/trusting/couch potato dog in the world".  THey never see it coming...

All dogs bite, nature of design and all. All dogs were primarily designed and bred to kill something.

Behavior, there is nothing that suggests a pitbull is more aggressive than any other dog.

A border collie bit off a kids ear a few months ago. 

Like I said, having met many dogs, trained with many dogs and been around packs of dogs.. the pitbulls are usually the better ones behavior wise.. the problem is when a bad one wants to hurt someone it will hurt them. Unlike a little shit dog that spends 80% of its day showing aggression to people, but doesn't have the power to maul.

I have a shephard and a pit, both are well trained. Yet, it's the shepherd I worry about when around small kids, because he loves to hunt small animals.. and hes good at it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Jack, , the pits are inbred by design

Every long standing dog breed is inbred by design, it's why shepherds have high rates of cancer and many dogs like labs have hip dysplasia issues just to name 2.

It's also why mutts seem to be very fit animals compared to pure breds..

55 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Every long standing dog breed is inbred by design, it's why shepherds have high rates of cancer and many dogs like labs have hip dysplasia issues just to name 2.

It's also why mutts seem to be very fit animals compared to pure breds..

I have always had the best luck with mutts. It’s a Mendeleev peas thing I think 

Any dog that goes after a human like that does not deserve to breathe the same air.  Kill the dog. Sue the owner. 

Dogs off leash are an absolute pet peeve of mine. I've had more than a few run ins.  Just a matter of time before I get my hands on one. I don't want to but if it comes down to a child(or a loved one) or the dog....dog dies horribly. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

All dogs were primarily designed and bred to kill something.

Mmmm…. I see the point you're trying to make, but I think you're trying too hard. Like, I can't really agree with this part above. Example... Retrievers? Bred to retrieve - otherwise they'd be ripping the birds apart with their teeth, not bringing them back to the hunter. Herders? Similar thing... bred to gently nip at the sheep or cattle to keep the herd together, but not to clamp down on their limbs until they break. Yes, any dog can attack... and a poor upbringing is perhaps the biggest factor, but I don't think you can ignore that certain fighting breeds were, in fact, actually bred to fight, and also bred for physical characteristics like powerful jaw strength. 

I'll keep my Papillon, thanks. Not only is she tiny... but she's a lover, not a fighter. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Mmmm…. I see the point you're trying to make, but I think you're trying too hard. Like, I can't really agree with this part above. Example... Retrievers? Bred to retrieve - otherwise they'd be ripping the birds apart with their teeth, not bringing them back to the hunter. Herders? Similar thing... bred to gently nip at the sheep or cattle to keep the herd together, but not to clamp down on their limbs until they break. Yes, any dog can attack... and a poor upbringing is perhaps the biggest factor, but I don't think you can ignore that certain fighting breeds were, in fact, actually bred to fight, and also bred for physical characteristics like powerful jaw strength. 

I'll keep my Papillon, thanks. Not only is she tiny... but she's a lover, not a fighter. ;)

A lot of herding dogs were bred to not just herd, but also protect the herd.

My family labrador who passed years ago god bless his soul used to routinely bring us dead birds chipmunks and squirrels he would catch.. at least he got the retrieving part right..but he was never actually trained. He also bit 2 people and was on leash control for a while

Chesepeakbay retrievers are notorious for being mean sumbitches.

My point was simple, the breed is dangerous due to their physical features... my experience with over hundreds of dogs... is that other breeds are as aggressive if not more.

Even the fighting breeds are trained extensively for dog fighting.. and they use the pitbulls that dont want to fight as bait dogs... doesnt sound so innate if they have to go through all that.

First off pit bulls are not a breed of dog but a group of breeds. 

Second the original "pit bull" the Staffordshire terrier was created to protect children. That's why they are sometimes referred to as the nanny dog. 

Third All dogs can bite regardless of breed, I've seen super tame and submissive "pit bulls" and I've seen extremely aggressive golden retrievers. It all goes back to the owner and the training or lack there of. Well trained and socialized dogs dont attack generally unless injured. (Go ahead @Ray Ray prove me wrong) the 2 breeds that bite people the most are chihuahuas and west highland white terriers. 

Many dog breeds especially all the bully breeds should not be kept by inexperienced dog owners. They are a smart breed with a strong prey drive and need to be trained and socialized properly. The training and socialization takes quite a bit of time and effort that many inexperienced people dont realize and aren't willing or able to put forth the effort. Many inexperienced people also dont know what warning signs to look for and what to do about those warnings until after the bite occurs. 

As for stopping that fight @Malsua is correct.grab the dog by the lower hind legs and lift off the ground and either push forward or twist to the side. Also a finger, knife, stick, ect in the anus can work very well. If not willing to do any of those which can result in you getting bitten, stand next to the dog and kick the rear knee to the other side to try and break or dislocate the knee. 

DO NOT TRY AND PULL THE DOG it will cause more injure to the victim 

• Agree 1

Pitbulls, what in that name makes it a family dog? 

Definition of Pit:

Verb

set someone or something in conflict or competition with.

Definition of Bull

Verb

To push or drive powerfully or violently.

Noun
an uncastrated male bovine animal

What in that name makes it a family pet?  
Fucking nothing
  • Agree 1
  • FacePalm 3

The inbred part stems from the habit of breeding for fighting.  I adopt chows,  so big dogs dont scare me.  But one visit to the Trenton shelter was enough to get in the car and drive away.  Pits are not any more violent than a poodle. It's the backstory that matters.   I have had a rescue chow who scared a trainer into hiding behind a step ladder

He went back

The other 8 or so over the years have been perfect pets.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:27 PM, JackDaWack said:

A lot of herding dogs were bred to not just herd, but also protect the herd.

My family labrador who passed years ago god bless his soul used to routinely bring us dead birds chipmunks and squirrels he would catch.. at least he got the retrieving part right..but he was never actually trained. He also bit 2 people and was on leash control for a while

Chesepeakbay retrievers are notorious for being mean sumbitches.

My point was simple, the breed is dangerous due to their physical features... my experience with over hundreds of dogs... is that other breeds are as aggressive if not more.

Even the fighting breeds are trained extensively for dog fighting.. and they use the pitbulls that dont want to fight as bait dogs... doesnt sound so innate if they have to go through all that.

That is not true, herding dogs herd.  Livestock guardian dogs protect.  I have had Australian Cattle Dogs for more than 25 years and have trained them for herding.  Herding is a controlled prey drive, the dog does not have any interest in protecting the livestock. The prey drive is modified so the dog does not maim or hurt the livestock and is used to move the livestock.  The livestock fears the dog. Guardian dogs are raised as part of the flock or herd and live with and protect livestock. 

On 3/11/2020 at 5:35 PM, fishnut said:

... (Go ahead @Ray Ray prove me wrong) the 2 breeds that bite people the most are chihuahuas and west highland white terriers. 

And which breeds kill the most people. Or precisely which breeds cause the most severe injuries when they bite?