Underdog

Dog Attack

I have had Amer. Bulldogs, Boxers and a 200 LB mastiff for 13 years, Now have rescue pit. When she goes out has shock collar on, and I rule the roost. I will never trust her. But, she knows I am the absolute boss! 

I would get another Pit, But, would not advise a weaker owner to get one. Weaker, I mean personality wise.

I do pity a burgler though!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WP22 said:

And which breeds kill the most people. Or precisely which breeds cause the most severe injuries when they bite?

Any large dog can cause serious injury. I know of a recent dog bite in Utah where Huskies ripped a child's arm off. The larger the dog generally the worse the injure. A mastiff can inflict way more damage than am American Staffordshire terrier. 

9 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

DangerousDogs.jpg.18fdafb82646ba522da46500a9cdc12f.jpg

And this is why I say that all the pit bull breeds should not be kept by inexperienced dog owners but 284 fatalities in 13 years when there is 3.6 million pit bulls in the US proves that they are way less dangerous than driving, smoking, drinking medical malpractice and so on. 

The war on pitbulls is extremely similar to the war on guns. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, fishnut said:

Any large dog can cause serious injury. I know of a recent dog bite in Utah where Huskies ripped a child's arm off. The larger the dog generally the worse the injure. A mastiff can inflict way more damage than am American Staffordshire terrier. 

And this is why I say that all the pit bull breeds should not be kept by inexperienced dog owners but 284 fatalities in 13 years when there is 3.6 million pit bulls in the US proves that they are way less dangerous than driving, smoking, drinking medical malpractice and so on. 

The war on pitbulls is extremely similar to the war on guns. 

I agree on some of what you said.  The animal has become a status symbol.  Some people buy them because they ARE mean and aggressive.   And breed them to be that way.  Living in an urban city, I see the worst kind.  

I know how you feel about animals, and I understand.  I respect that.  But, we live in different worlds and my view isn't the same as yours.   Seeing these dogs on thick chains and yanking some 110 lb hood rat around the park and barking at everything gets old quick. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

I agree on some of what you said.  The animal has become a status symbol.  Some people buy them because they ARE mean and aggressive.   And breed them to be that way.  Living in an urban city, I see the worst kind.  

I know how you feel about animals, and I understand.  I respect that.  But, we live in different worlds and my view isn't the same as yours.   Seeing these dogs on thick chains and yanking some 110 lb hood rat around the park and barking at everything gets old quick. 

I used to do animal control for Union NJ, I've seen the worst of the worst when it comes to pits. I've even been bitten by one. So I've seen that side of them too

You are absolutely correct in the fact that people buy them for status symbols and those are the inexperienced owners that I was referring to, they are the ones that cause the dogs to act aggressively usually due to a lack of training.

I'm no fan of breed restrictions but sometimes I wish that people had to pass a test in order to own certain breeds of dogs. 

• Thanks 2

Well, a "hood rat" lady had a pitbull on a truck chain walking down the street.  Guess who was getting yanked around?  And guess who had to cross the street?  

1jQp2BPzf003tCUVmvgFAvpgX_UmHpBVbTCZ0xq0jS8.png

• Like 1

As a dog person (obviously, see avatar) this is very sad to hear.  But as some have touched on already... pitbulls are not a "killer" breed of dog.  Despite what they have been forced to do by people, they are an amazing breed and one of the best pets society could have.  Shit people create shit dogs and that usually leads to tragic endings.  

The folks here salivating at the thought of gouging out there eyes and killing the dog are disappointing beyond words.  I don't care what breed you have or what your preconceived beliefs of breed behavior are, there is far more science and education out there proving it is our (human) interaction that creates the issues, not the breed.

I feel terrible for the child... and now also for the subjective view of the breed as a result.

On 3/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, Ray Ray said:

I would submit the human is the bigger 'animal'......

Humans are the worst kind....of animal and do not deserve the companionship, loyalty that most dog breeds offer.

We make them what they are and are an extension of the pack.....   

How many shelters went empty during tje pandemic with adoptions.....?....

How many are going to fill back up.?.because of shitty humans and their throw away traits.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Well, a "hood rat" lady had a pitbull on a truck chain walking down the street.  Guess who was getting yanked around?  And guess who had to cross the street?  

Did you get bit?

10 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

What do you expect when you live in Bayonne? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

The folks here salivating at the thought of gouging out there eyes and killing the dog are disappointing beyond words.  I don't care what breed you have or what your preconceived beliefs of breed behavior are, there is far more science and education out there proving it is our (human) interaction that creates the issues, not the breed.

I don't think anyone is "salivating" at the thought. An animal that displays aggression toward humans needs to either never be allowed into a public setting, or it must be euthanized. If the animal is aggressive because it was trained to be so or was abused, it is some d'head's fault. 

It's also just an animal. One strike and it's out. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Did you get bit?

15 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I answered it in my post 

On 3/11/2020 at 3:53 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Mmmm…. I see the point you're trying to make, but I think you're trying too hard. Like, I can't really agree with this part above. Example... Retrievers? Bred to retrieve - otherwise they'd be ripping the birds apart with their teeth, not bringing them back to the hunter. Herders? Similar thing... bred to gently nip at the sheep or cattle to keep the herd together, but not to clamp down on their limbs until they break. Yes, any dog can attack... and a poor upbringing is perhaps the biggest factor, but I don't think you can ignore that certain fighting breeds were, in fact, actually bred to fight, and also bred for physical characteristics like powerful jaw strength. 

I'll keep my Papillon, thanks. Not only is she tiny... but she's a lover, not a fighter. ;)

Like owner; Like Dog huh?

• Haha 1

I get my dogs from either shelters or through rescue agencies.  The Ewing shelter was one place that had a Chow mix (we have only had Chows for the last 20 years).  She was great.  But being a block away from Trenton, most of the other dogs were some sort of pit bred to fight to the death.  They may be well-mannered, but you never know if they will trigger.

I got a Chow mix from a rescue agent in NY some years back.  He seemed ok and was supposedly vetted by the agent to screen for behavior around kids and other dogs.  Ok.  Within 2 days he attacked and bit me, my daughter, and anyone else that he felt like it.  I was sitting in a chair watching TV one night and he just launched from across the room at me for no reason.  Scared the crap out of me because he was one big beast.  So we hired a trainer to see if he could be settled down.  Guy comes into the house...6'5 280lb ex-marine.  He asks for a step ladder as a shield against this dog.  Scared the crap out of him too.  So I call the agent and explain that this is not going to work, especially with kids around.  We meet in a rest stop on the turnpike up by exit 16 or whatever and she puts the dog in the van with the leash held into the window.  I imagine he was put down because he was too far gone to be adopted by anybody.  You just don't know what they went through in their previous lives.

Now we have a 90 pound Chow who is great.  He likes to hunt small animals in the yard, but otherwise has no issues.  I know he came from a pound in the deep south where he was picked up as a stray and the owners refused to pay the vet fees, so he was trucked up to Long Island, and we found the listing online.  He wouldn't hurt anyone but acts pretty mean to any strangers.  Just hit or miss unless you get a puppy that you can train.

• Like 1

We have a pit that lives across the street, She is the nicest dog in the world when being walked by her owner lick you to death. Neighbor leaves her out on upper deck, If another dog is being walked by she will go nuts and start tearing at the gate and he has to come out yelling at her and drag her in. Last week the neighbor next door let there little dog out back privacy fenced in yard on sides does have front chain link gate, that pit saw her from up on the deck and all hell blew loose her trying to tear the gate down and again yelling and dragging her in. then he walks her and here comes this nice dog again down the street I pet her all the time she gives little bark at other dogs amazing how her temperament changes when being walked. I do fear her getting through that gate one day when on the deck. 

On 6/11/2020 at 9:05 PM, tony357 said:

I do fear her getting through that gate one day when on the deck. 

It's almost inevitable. 

The dog either needs to get this trained out of it (which can never be guaranteed) or it needs to be both fenced and chained. 

It is inevitable. The dog obviously was not socialized properly if at all. It can be socalized properly but its allot of work that 99% of dog owners aren't willing to do. The dogs behavior always comes back to the owners and lack of training as ive said before 

A chain link fence inside a fenced in area is the way to go and if often mandated by towns after a dog has severely bitten or killed another domestic animal or person. A 6 foot buffer in between the 1st and 2nd fence is ideal to 

15 hours ago, fishnut said:

It is inevitable. The dog obviously was not socialized properly if at all. It can be socalized properly but its allot of work that 99% of dog owners aren't willing to do. The dogs behavior always comes back to the owners and lack of training as ive said before 

A chain link fence inside a fenced in area is the way to go and if often mandated by towns after a dog has severely bitten or killed another domestic animal or person. A 6 foot buffer in between the 1st and 2nd fence is ideal to 

The problem I see with the pit breeds is that the instinct to fight other dogs is bred into them. Socializing a pit that is already shown to be dog aggressive is like trying to train a lab to not want to retrieve or swim.  It will be a lifelong fight. It is best that owners of very aggressive dogs (not breed specific) keep them away from other dogs at all times.

• Agree 1

I've had mostly good experiences with pits. My sister's pit gave me a bloody nose once when he whipped his head to the side to lick my face. Thinks he's a giant lapdog. He picked up on my sister's pregnancy fast, has been at my niece's side ever since she was born. My niece of 4 now and the dog let's her do whatever she wants. But that's all he's known, is calm, family life.

When you adopt, it's a completely different story. You have no idea what they've gone through. And once they've been trained to do something, it's instinctual. It's just scary because of the damage they can cause the bigger a dog is.

50 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

The problem I see with the pit breeds is that the instinct to fight other dogs is bred into them. Socializing a pit that is already shown to be dog aggressive is like trying to train a lab to not want to retrieve or swim.  It will be a lifelong fight. It is best that owners of very aggressive dogs (not breed specific) keep them away from other dogs at all times.

Yes I agree its not easy to modify a dogs behavior once its been established but it can be done. Its allot of work and it requires the owner to make big changes in order to be successful. Like I said before the majority of dog owners aren't willing to put forth the time a d effort and make sacrifices in order to modify the dogs bad behaviors. 

I have a daschund named Luger, someone abandoned him in East Hannover and I picked him up as a stray when I was working animal control. He was so aggressive towards the shelter staff during his 7 day hold they had to use a catch pole on him to clean the run he was held in. I did not have a kid at the time so I took on the challenge of taming him instead of euthanizing him. Pretty quickly I broke him of his aggressiveness towards myself and my wife. A few months later he started to guard the property and other than my wife and I he would attack anything that came near our property. He even attacked a full grown white German Shephard and of course got his ass kicked. I did not have enough experience with behavior modification so I consulted a dog trainer specializing in behavioral modification. She showed me some methods and tips and tricks. Over the years we definitely have had to keep up on his training but he's a well behaved member of our household and has had no issues with my daughter who is now 4 and he gets along with all other dogs now on and off our property. It took allot of work and will continue to be some extra work but it is possible when the owner is willing to work hard at it. Pit bull breeds are way smarter than daschunds so it is usually easier to modify their behavior.