May20

Gun shop recommendation near Montville?

I just got a phone call from my local PD that my FID & P2Ps are ready for pickup. I am ready to buy my first handgun.

I've done some research and my mind is set on Sig Sauer P320 X5 Legion. I have been to RTSP Randolph a few times and liked the people working there. However, I read somewhere in these forums that their gun prices tended to be high. I read Hague's in West Deptford offers unparalleled selections on Sigs and their price cannot be beat, but they are 110+ miles away from me. I don't want to go the online shop route because I want to see and hold the gun before I buy. I would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a good gun shop not too far from Montville.

I am very new to the scene and do not know what to expect when it comes to pricing of guns. I know the X5 Legion's MSRP is about $900. What is the reasonable purchase price I can expect? I don't have to get the rock bottom price but don't want to pay more than I have to.

TIA

26 minutes ago, May20 said:

I noticed that, on Sig Sauer's website, RTSP Union was listed as an "Elite Dealer" and "Class III" but RTSP Randolph was without any such annotations. Does anyone know why?

Contact our vendor list..

19 hours ago, May20 said:

I just got a phone call from my local PD that my FID & P2Ps are ready for pickup. I am ready to buy my first handgun.

I've done some research and my mind is set on Sig Sauer P320 X5 Legion. I have been to RTSP Randolph a few times and liked the people working there. However, I read somewhere in these forums that their gun prices tended to be high. I read Hague's in West Deptford offers unparalleled selections on Sigs and their price cannot be beat, but they are 110+ miles away from me. I don't want to go the online shop route because I want to see and hold the gun before I buy. I would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a good gun shop not too far from Montville.

I am very new to the scene and do not know what to expect when it comes to pricing of guns. I know the X5 Legion's MSRP is about $900. What is the reasonable purchase price I can expect? I don't have to get the rock bottom price but don't want to pay more than I have to.

TIA

In my opinion/experience the "local" gun shops in this area very over-priced.  Ottomanelli's, Reloaderz, RTSP, etc, etc.  I get that they're operating in an expensive area, but you'll never see a good deal from them

My general rule for purchasing over the last several years is to check Bud's gun shop and see what it would cost to order from them.  So as of today the Sig would be $900 (with free shipping) + $15 NICS + $25 transfer (from the guy in Lincoln Park I always use) which brings me to $940.  (You have to call Bud's and make sure they'll sell it at the same price with 10 round magazines)

I then connect with the vendors here to see what they've got on hand and what it would cost if they had to order for me.  If they're in the ballpark (for me that's about $60) I'd go with them.  I don't mind driving an hour or two to avoid mail-order.

If you don't care about price then pick a shop you're most comfortable with and stick with them.  They may eventually give you some kind of discount/special handling for being a regular.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

In my opinion/experience the "local" gun shops in this area very over-priced.  Ottomanelli's, Reloaderz, RTSP, etc, etc.  I get that they're operating in an expensive area, but you'll never see a good deal from them

My general rule for purchasing over the last several years is to check Bud's gun shop and see what it would cost to order from them.  So as of today the Sig would be $900 (with free shipping) + $15 NICS + $25 transfer (from the guy in Lincoln Park I always use) which brings me to $940.  (You have to call Bud's and make sure they'll sell it at the same price with 10 round magazines)

I then connect with the vendors here to see what they've got on hand and what it would cost if they had to order for me.  If they're in the ballpark (for me that's about $60) I'd go with them.  I don't mind driving an hour or two to avoid mail-order.

If you don't care about price then pick a shop you're most comfortable with and stick with them.  They may eventually give you some kind of discount/special handling for being a regular.

Thanks! I will call RTSP Randolph and see at what price they will sell me the gun for and start from there.

Called RTSP and was told their price was $1000. If I buy a membership there (which I'm intending to do), they will give a 5% discount on firearm purchase which will make the net price $950 + $15 NICS. It is a reasonable price assuming I won't be able to avoid the sales tax either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, May20 said:

Called RTSP and was told their price was $1000. If I buy a membership there (which I'm intending to do), they will give a 5% discount on firearm purchase which will make the net price $950 + $15 NICS. It is a reasonable price assuming I won't be able to avoid the sales tax either way.

Sounds like a great plan, particularly if you were considering a membership anyway.  I don't think anyone is offering discounts on it at this point.

Make sure to share some pictures and give us a range report when you get it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Sounds like a great plan, particularly if you were considering a membership anyway.  I don't think anyone is offering discounts on it at this point.

Make sure to share some pictures and give us a range report when you get it.

@May20 I wanna shoot it! I want one Soooo hard and strong like 

11 hours ago, May20 said:

I'm only about 20 minutes from you. I don't have a P320 X-Five Legion on hand at this moment, but I do have a P320 M18.

I can probably do better on the X-five Legion if you have a littler time to wait for it.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:56 PM, JackDaWack said:

RTSP, Reloaders(for renting), ottomanellis those are the closest with gun selection.

And the highest prices... Especially Ottomanelli's.  Last time I was in there I almost laughed in the kids face at the pricing.   

@Oakridgefirearms is a super nice guy.  Additionally I would say to give Ron at Ramsey Outdoor a call.  Explain what's up and see if he can do better.  He's always been very fair to me.  

7 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

I'm only about 20 minutes from you. I don't have a P320 X-Five Legion on hand at this moment, but I do have a P320 M18.

I can probably do better on the X-five Legion if you have a littler time to wait for it.

Thank you. But I bought the gun last night. RTSP Randolph had one in stock.

2 hours ago, Bully said:

And the highest prices... Especially Ottomanelli's.  Last time I was in there I almost laughed in the kids face at the pricing.   

@Oakridgefirearms is a super nice guy.  Additionally I would say to give Ron at Ramsey Outdoor a call.  Explain what's up and see if he can do better.  He's always been very fair to me.  

No objections there but he asked for places that have in stock... 

• Like 1

I am glad I went with a local. I went to RTSP Randolph on Thursday after work to buy the gun. The NICS was so backed up that I couldn't bring the gun home and had to go back there next day. Imagine I had to drive 200 miles each round trip. I would have been pissed! RTSP Randolph is 20 minutes from home and only 10 minutes from my office.