Bklynracer

Ammo prices and availability

Anyone notice that the price of ammo is slowly creeping up over the last month or so. also noticed some shortages.

Went to TargetSports and noticed .20 and not as much available.

price started creeping up before corona, is it due to upcoming election?

Some recent shortage might be corona related.

Remember, CV started to be a big issue at the end of January.  I know that I ordered a pretty decent amount of ammo because I was expecting some demand due to CV and I had purchased a rifle in a caliber I don't have much ammo in.  I figured if I was ordering I may as  well stock up.

Not a bad idea, I had ammo squared account for almost a year and figured it was time to order my inventory on my account. Still gonna get some more ammo for my other guns, plus maybe a 38 special revolver. 

Was taking with a buddy that works on at the ports in Newark. Shipments are coming in, getting screened for the virus. Not sure where they are coming from. Might as well pick some more up soon, pay day is tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

Some recent shortage might be corona related.

This is why:

....."Gun sales are skyrocketing across the San Gabriel Valley as Asian Americans in the area fear they may be targeted because of their ethnicity amid rising fears about the spread of the coronavirus.

David Liu, the owner of Arcadia Firearm & Safety, said his store has been very busy in recent weeks. Liu said he’s seen as many as 10 times more customers than usual come through the doors of his business.

“Because of coronavirus, a lot of people start to worry,” he said.

The area has a high concentration of Asian Americans, and Liu said many of his customers are afraid they may be targeted because of their ethnicity if a local outbreak of coronavirus occurs.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/03/10/san-gabriel-valley-gun-sales-soar-among-asian-americans-who-fear-coronavirus-related-attacks/

It’s everywhere...

was in the heritage guild Branchburg store today.  Some dude walked in wearing a gas mask, rubber gloves and literally bought the last 6 cases of 556 and 5 cases on 9mm.  

it was the oddest thing I’ve ever seen.  The clerk said people have been coming in buying any and everything.  He’s not sure it’s Biden getting the lead or CV.  

3 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

It’s everywhere...

was in the heritage guild Branchburg store today.  Some dude walked in wearing a gas mask, rubber gloves and literally bought the last 6 cases of 556 and 5 cases on 9mm.  

it was the oddest thing I’ve ever seen.  The clerk said people have been coming in buying any and everything.  He’s not sure it’s Biden getting the lead or CV.  

How much ammo can someone who was never a Ranger or SEAL go through in a gun fight?  I mean... I’m all for having a Really good stock, but if you’re expecting a gun fight in a few weeks, why buy 6 cases?  Seems like it would be over after a mag or two.

5 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

How much ammo can someone who was never a Ranger or SEAL go through in a gun fight?  I mean... I’m all for having a Really good stock, but if you’re expecting a gun fight in a few weeks, why buy 6 cases?  Seems like it would be over after a mag or two.

I’m with you.  It’s overkill and like some keyboard commandos, he’ll be the guy sitting in basement with a drop leg holster strapped on.

the sales guy just laughed him off and happily took his money

39 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

Think about it... What if you bought a container of masks or toilet paper in January? What could you get for them now? Maybe he's a capitalist!

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Think about it... What if you bought a container of masks or toilet paper in January? What could you get for them now? Maybe he's a capitalist!

Yeah. That occurred to me.  Barter stock. But for this issue...it seems less probable.

EMP strike....  ?  Much more likely.   But then again... With something thst sends us back to the stone age.... I might want s life time supply of ammo.

5 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

You can never have too much beans, bullets, and band-aids (an alliterative way to say food, ammo, and first-aid supplies).

This is a good quote. Its better to be prepared and be called crazy than not being prepared.

• Like 1

The extra ammo I bought is a price hedge against the next ammo panic, whenever it comes. Also the next NJ legislative dump, which will happen eventually. I want to be able to keep practicing.

If necessary, ammo is also excellent for bartering. 

As far as gunfights go, if I had to fire anything approaching 100 rounds, somebody is shooting back and I would expect to be shot before number 101. So my ammo stash is not about gunfighting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

It’s everywhere...

It's people like this that screw it up for those running short on range ammo.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

The extra ammo I bought is a price hedge against the next ammo panic, whenever it comes.

Exactly...

After the Sandy Hook shooting, I decided never to be caught in that crazy again...

6 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

You should never allow yourself to run low on ammo.  jmho

You would think the members here would already know that.. :scratchhead:

• Agree 2

everyone could run short for one reason or another, at any point in time. Am I running short? Yes. But for me running short means I have a little over 500 rnds of .223 left. Like I said, short on range ammo, not short in a SHTF scenario.

It's not just the time to produce the rounds, reloading takes a lot of time to learn, and develop the skills to put out quality. And people dont learn when times are good and supplies are cheap... a lot of new ones like myself get into loading when shit is expensive and scarce.. when everything got cheap again, I had to tell myself to stock up and not buy the now affordable cases of ammo..

But, I will have plenty of time to load when quarantines kick in lol..

I got some emails from cheaper than dirt... their ammo already costs more than I would pay. Hate that place

13 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

It’s everywhere...

Buy it cheap stack it deep, ya snooze ya lose.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Luckily, for me I learned how to reload after the SH tragedy.  Now I keep 1500-2000 components handy to load when time allows.  Now I load a few boxes at a time, shoot them and start over.

as for buying cheap cases, I’ve done that a couple times but not a whole lot.  After a while, storage becomes an issue.

is anyone buying the steel case stuff at .13/round or sticking to brass stuff?