xXxplosive

Warning: Corona Burglery Scam....

....."Residents are warned to not let anyone inside their home who claims to be a CDC employee. Instead, residents should contact their local police department immediately with a description of the people.

"It is a shame how some people will use tragic events and fear to further victimize people," Russo said. "Citizens must stay alert and report any suspicious activity."

What's more amazing is the number of people who actually fall for these scams...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kc17 said:

" Residents are warned to not let anyone inside their home who claims to be a CDC employee. "

Only let them in if they claim to be County or State Health Dept, right? Jaggoffs.

Cough hard in their face, then close your door.

47 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Next version of this scam - "We're deputies of Niceville police dept - we're executing a warrant to seize all your firearms and ammunition pursuant to a Temporary Extreme Risk Protection Order, also known as the red flag law."

Oh stop feeding the frenzy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Oh stop feeding the frenzy

It's Happening...….Mayor of Champagne Ill. just issued an executive order banning the sale of firearms and ammo due to Coronavirus...

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WAND) - Champaign Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen has issued an executive order declaring an emergency in the city. 

City officials said the emergency is related to the COVID-19, which is anticipated to cause an impact on the health of community members. Champaign Municipal Code allows the mayor to declare an emergency for a limited time. 

Included in the executive order are ordinances that would give the city extraordinary powers to the Mayor. 

• Violating parts of the Open Meetings Act
  • Ban sale of firearms and ammunition
  • Ban sale of any alcohol
  • Closing of all bars, taverns, liquor stores, etc
  • Ban sale or giving away of gasoline or other liquid flammable or combustible products in any container other than a gasoline tank permanently fixed to a motor vehicle
  • Direct the shutoff of power, water, gas, etc
  • Take possession of private property and obtain full title to same
  • Prohibit or restrict ingress and egress to and from the City

32 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

It's Happening...….Mayor of Champagne Ill. just issued an executive order banning the sale of firearms and ammo due to Coronavirus...

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WAND) - Champaign Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen has issued an executive order declaring an emergency in the city. 

City officials said the emergency is related to the COVID-19, which is anticipated to cause an impact on the health of community members. Champaign Municipal Code allows the mayor to declare an emergency for a limited time. 

Included in the executive order are ordinances that would give the city extraordinary powers to the Mayor. 

• Ban sale or giving away of gasoline or other liquid flammable or combustible products in any container other than a gasoline tank permanently fixed to a motor vehicle

It does not appear that any such ban has been enacted.  The declared emergency gives the mayor broader powers (that's the point of declaring an emergency), but there is no indication that the full laundry list above will be enacted.  Why would they?

It bears watching, yes, to see what is actually done, but the ordinances listed above seem tailored handle specific types of emergencies...Riots?  Close the bars, stop selling gas in portable containers.  Natural disasters?  Cut off power and gas until emergency services have finished looking for survivors.   Pandemic?  Restrict ingress and egress.

34 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

I have no idea what you’re sayen is Germaine to the conversation. Maybe now is your time  

Hey, no insults (no flinging poo at each other like monkeys at the zoo)! :facepalm: Be your best selves, gentlemen! 

As far as the original topic, I don't find it "amazing" (or even "surprising") how many people would fall for any scam. In NJ, approx. 20% of our elderly citizens have been financially scammed - often due to a combination of factors - being widowed/lonely, suffering from hearing loss (coupled with denial about it) is a factor, as well as other physical and mental attributes that may be slowing down a bit - all those things can make you vulnerable. Then you figure there are immigrants who may lack a full grasp of the English language - and they could certainly be more easily hoodwinked, too. Not to mention, look at all the reasonably sophisticated and wealthy people scammed by various Ponzi schemes, investment scams, etc. Bernie Madoff ring a bell? Some of these cons are very skilled. Unless you walk through life feeling thoroughly paranoid about everyone you meet, this could happen to anyone at some point in their life... under the right set of circumstances. No one is invincible throughout their full lifespan... if you think you are, you're in denial about the effects of aging/illness, etc.  

The people we should be trashing are the absolute scoundrels who took advantage of them!  I hope the jerks who did this are caught and  promptly sent up the river, as the expression goes! It's a despicable crime to prey on someone's fear/vulnerability.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

There wasn't a single mention in the article that it was the elderly that were the ones being scammed.

I also presented that as just one hypothetical example (I also mentioned people who speak English as a 2nd language, Bernie Madoff's victims, etc.). Scams happen quite commonly, for a variety of reasons, and to a variety of people.

I'm sure your ego would reject this thought, but you, too, could be vulnerable at one point or another in your life. It could happen to anyone, (most particularly under a combination of factors such as aging, grief, depression, illness, etc.). That was my rather obvious point!

Insult the perps, not the victims.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I also presented that as just one hypothetical example (I also mentioned people who speak English as a 2nd language, Bernie Madoff's victims, etc.). Scams happen quite commonly, for a variety of reasons, and to a variety of people.

I'm sure your ego would reject this thought, but you, too, could be vulnerable at one point or another in your life. It could happen to anyone, (most particularly under a combination of factors such as aging, grief, depression, illness, etc.). That was my rather obvious point!

Insult the perps, not the victims.

My only small quibble with all you wrote. Madoff didn't victimize anyone. They were victims of their own greed; Madoff was the vehicle to express their greed. And there's one particular nasty piece of work that got it for whom tears I won't shed.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'm sure your ego would reject this thought, but you, too, could be vulnerable at one point or another in your life.

I'm sure it will never happen to me, but it has nothing to do with ego. I don't trust anyone who comes to my door unsolicited. That's specifically why I trained my pup for a Level 1 response. It's called situational awareness.

It could happen to anyone, (most particularly under a combination of factors such as aging, grief, depression, illness, etc.).

Sure it "could" happen to anyone, but they, for the most part, must have been sleeping for decades, as these scams have been around for a long time. Seriously, anyone who allows multiple strangers into their house, that they didn't specifically call, should reconsider if they should be living by themselves, since there has always been different warnings for these situations for a long time.

We can play "what if" until the cows come home with rare situations. In reality, the general population has lost their ability of critical thinking skills, logic and personal responsibility, and just wait to be told what to do by local government. It's actually been a real depressing transformation of the "sheep". You can't always protect someone from themselves.