blksheep

NICS is DEEP TODAY

55 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

I would not be surprised if Smurphy puts Non-Essential State personnel on leave, which could mean

the NICs unit could (possibly) close.

I would hope not, but I would not be surprised...........

Isn't there a 72 hour rule — No response by nics in 72 hours then buyer is considered to have passed NICS

Is this something that doesn't get done or does it not exist?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PK90 said:

In Merica, a NTN # is issued when NICS is run. If the FBI doesn't DENY the transfer after 3 complete business days, the sale can take place if the dealer wishes.

But are there ANY dealers who would actually  hand over a gun to a buyer without a successful NICs response?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

But are there ANY dealers who would actually  hand over a gun to a buyer without a successful NICs response?

I do all the time. One customer goes DELAYED everytime. After those 3 days, the status changes to OPEN. After 30 days it goes away. 

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

I do all the time. One customer goes DELAYED everytime. After those 3 days, the status changes to OPEN. After 30 days it goes away. 

You are in Arizona.....Dealers here in the PRNJ are held to a different standard, are they not?

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Hold your beer? ( don’t open it, I’ll hold it)

Yeah,  I know, but nothing was catching my eye.  Thought about a 365xl but no local shops had one to rent.  I guess I’ll just wait until next set of permits get approved and see if the Alpha makes it’s way to the states

2 hours ago, chris327 said:

Thanks,  next question is non nfa, other firearm able to be purchased In PA or is that a no go? And if so anyone know dealers in pa who carry them normally

No. One can only purchase NJ legal Shotguns and Rifles from another state, AND only from a dealer.

11 minutes ago, PK90 said:

No. One can only purchase NJ legal Shotguns and Rifles from another state, AND only from a dealer.

Thank you very much. Wasnt sure if it was listed that way or the opposite of no pistol sales outside of state.  Thanks for clarification. 

Ouch...

NICS UPDATE

As the coronavirus pandemic grows, gun sales are surging throughout the country. Here in New Jersey we continue to receive an extremely high volume of transactions submitted. Please understand the NICS Unit is working very hard on yesterday’s 550 submissions 3/16/20, Monday. There are currently over 300 new transactions in the queue for today. Today’s work will NOT be completed, as we do not have the staffing to support this extremely high volume. Feel free to share this information with your customers. Please understand the transactions are completed in the order they are received. No exceptions! We are fully staffed and ask that you continue to be patient. Thank you and stay healthy. - NICS UNIT

Even worse this morning. Cutting staff but not stopping the checks at least.

Important Message:
8 AM 03/18/2020: 1100 submissions for the start of Wednesday, 03/18/20. Today’s work will NOT be completed, as we do not have the staffing to support this extremely high volume. Feel free to share this information with your customers. Please understand the transactions are completed in the order they are received. No exceptions! We are now minimally staffed in order to prevent the spread of this virus and ask that you continue to be patient. Thank you and stay healthy.

14 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Imagine if they got (some more of) what they wanted and buying ammo required a NICS check. Things must be great in Cali.

Just FYI - Using NICS for anything other than firearm purchasing is specifically prohibited. Which means that CA had to create their own, new, database with all the attendant costs. A bureaucrat's wet dream.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

Just FYI - Using NICS for anything other than firearm purchasing is specifically prohibited. Which means that CA had to create their own, new, database with all the attendant costs. A bureaucrat's wet dream.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NJ made their FARS system already....

Hints of a partial shutdown of NICS.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/fbi-threatens-shutdown-of-gun-purchase-background-checks-as-massive-surge-in-sales-creates-backlog/

"The NSSF also warned that the Brady transfer date after a sale may now be extended beyond the three business days that it normally takes.

“The three business day timeframe does not begin until relevant state offices are open for business,”

Murphy shut the retail businesses as of 9 PM tonight, and he didn't mention FFLs as an exception. I guess we'll see on Monday if NICS is even open.

I'm thinking that if FFLs are 'closed to the public', they may still have staff on site to accept inbound deliveries of firearms, and maybe transfer those that arrive for specific customers who can purchase them immediately. 'By appointment' is not 'open to the public'. Again, assuming NICS is still open.

There, I've permitted myself some wishful thinking. But I have a pistol inbound, and I need that thinking!

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Murphy shut the retail businesses as of 9 PM tonight, and he didn't mention FFLs as an exception. I guess we'll see on Monday if NICS is even open.

I'm thinking that if FFLs are 'closed to the public', they may still have staff on site to accept inbound deliveries of firearms, and maybe transfer those that arrive for specific customers who can purchase them immediately. 'By appointment' is not 'open to the public'. Again, assuming NICS is still open.

There, I've permitted myself some wishful thinking. But I have a pistol inbound, and I need that thinking!

I hope 'by appointment' is allowed.   Or, this might be the time for FFL's to open that drive-through window they've always wanted.

If the NJ NICS shuts down, the only reasonable solution is to let dealers bypass it entirely and use the federal NICS system like everyone else.   I wish NJ believed in reasonable solutions.

• Agree 1

Do I remember correctly from my gun sales days???..... I was told a holder of a pink card could transport firearms in the name of the FFL to customers that have passed NICS. It never came up in the day to day operations of the shop.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

Do I remember correctly from my gun sales days???..... I was told a holder of a pink card could transport firearms in the name of the FFL to customers that have passed NICS. It never came up in the day to day operations of the shop.

Technically, By Law the FFL is to do business only at the address listed on their FFL

If you're asking if the Pink Card (Or FFL) can make Home Deliveries? Technically NO! But.............