JohnnyB

BERGEN COUNTY IS CLOSED.......WTF!

Just got this from the President of my company! 

Executive Order 2020-1B, effective as of March 17, 2020 at 11 p.m., states that no worldly employment or business shall be performed or practiced by any person or entity within the County of Bergen until further notice except as expressly permitted herein.   All malls, shopping centers, offices, construction and business activity of any type or nature, except as modified herein, shall be closed until further notice.  Restaurants within malls or shopping centers may remain open only for the sale of take-out orders or delivery. Stores selling alcoholic beverages for outside consumption may remain open but shall comply with previously announced limitations and guidelines applicable to restaurants and CDC “social distancing” and other applicable guidelines.  All health clubs, gyms, dance class facilities, yoga class facilities and all other similar recreational facilities shall be closed until further notice.

Exemptions include:  

a. preparation and sale of drugs, meals, prepared food; 

b. take-out sale of alcoholic beverages, newspapers, pet food and sanitary pet products, gasoline and food products subject to the conditions and limitations contained herein.

c. Auto repair shops will be permitted to remain open only if attached to and part of a gasoline station;

d. Health care facilities shall remain open with the exception of dental care facilities which shall close except as may be deemed necessary by a licensed dentist to treat emergency conditions; 

e. Law firms, other entities or individuals specifically licensed to provide professional legal services, are hereby exempted from this Executive Order to the degree necessary to participate in Superior Court trials or other ancillary court proceedings or emergent matters or transactions;

f. Banks or banking institutions;

g. Funeral Parlors. 

Parks shall remain open for passive recreation, however, no organized or directed activity shall be permitted. Any other park activities that bring groups of more than four individuals (other than family members) shall be permitted, such as playgrounds, dog runs, rides, stables (except for the care and maintenance of horses at the stables) or games. 

Golf courses may remain open for golfers who walk the courses only. All other facilities within private or public golf courses such as clubhouses, restaurants, health facilities, lesson facilities, etc. shall be closed. No public outings shall be permitted until further notice.

No groups of more than four people, other than family members, shall assemble in public at any time within the County until further notice. A curfew is also imposed within the County between the hours of 8:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M. for all public outdoor activities. 

The County Executive is also asking health care professionals including, but not limited to, physicians, physicians’ assistants, nurses, dentists and other professionals to volunteer to provide health care services to combat the COVID-19 health care emergency.

4 hours ago, SIGMan Freud said:

I'm beginning to think South Jersey needs to separate from North Jersey. :p

Where would the line be drawn?  Because to me, anything south of Rahway is south Jersey.

4 hours ago, SIGMan Freud said:

I'm up for that!

15 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Where would the line be drawn?  Because to me, anything south of Rahway is south Jersey.

That's a good starting point. Keep all the undesirables up there! :drinks:

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Keep all the undesirables up there!

Just for the record we are not all undesirables up here, some are some aren't

shouldn't judge people on where they live. I'm sure there's a bunch in South Jersey.

don't start sounding like Clinton

11 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

shouldn't judge people on where they live. I'm sure there's a bunch in South Jersey.

don't start sounding like Clinton

Yeah....In Trenton and Camden!

46 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I use to live in No. Jersey..

Jus sayin...

On 3/16/2020 at 9:07 PM, Regular Guy said:

There's a similar statewide shutdown ordered by Murphy in an attempt to reduce people from going out in public and spreading the virus.  He also activated the National Guard to enforce the curfew.

Whoa, the National Guard has been activated to help in food delivery and testing sites.  They MAY help in curfew control.  Don't think some 17 year old is screwing a M16 in your face  

4 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Under what authority does the “county executive” do this?

A county executive has no power in relation to the National Guard. 

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/hackensack/news/postponed-bergen-county-shutdown-starts-saturday/785095/

Postponed until Saturday

I'm not sure what my company is going to do.  We used to work a 3rd shift on Saturday and Sunday through blue laws before.  Hard to say at this point.  We don't run that shift now though.

------

POSTPONED: Bergen County Shutdown Starts Saturday

03/16/2020 5:51 p.m.
Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco. Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco. Photo Credit: Bergen County Executive James Tedesco

UPDATE : The implementation of a new executive order announced Monday night by Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco will be postponed until Saturday at 8 a.m., county officials said Tuesday morning -- hours before the extreme measures were planned to take effect.

The executive order that will close malls, non-essential retailers and ban groups of four or more people from congregating in public places was supposed to go into effect Tuesday at 11 p.m., Tedesco said in Monday's tense press briefing.

The extreme measures hadn't been reviewed by state Attorney General Gurbir Grewal when Tedesco announced them Monday.

After speaking with Gov. Phil Murphy's administration, Tedesco released the following statement:

"As I said yesterday, while these may seem like extraordinary measures, these are extraordinary times. Our procedures make every attempt to be consistent with State guidelines, but we must remember that the severity of the situation in Bergen County is greater than any other area in the state.

"I remain steadfast in protecting all who visit, work, and live in Bergen County. However, this situation is changing each hour and we are constantly reevaluating the measures put into place to protect the health of our county.

"We want to make sure that individuals and businesses are able to follow all CDC, OSHA, New Jersey Department of Health, and Bergen County Department of Health guidelines."

Come Saturday at 8 a.m., banks, grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies and law firms with ongoing trials will remain open.

In addition to closing malls, non-essential businesses and banning large groups from gathering in public places, the executive order mandates wholesale stores such as BJ's and Costco can only sell items sold in supermarkets, in a move modeled after Bergen County Blue Laws -- something residents are already familiar with.

No more than 50 people will be allowed in stores at a time, though Tedesco said a system for effecting this is still in the works.

Parks remain open for passive recreation, but no organized activity will be allowed.

Gas stations will be open as long as they adhere to guidelines put forth by the CDC, and auto repair shops may remain open as long as they're attached to gas stations, the county executive said.

"This is about saving lives," Tedesco said. "If you want to put money over someone's life then shame on you.

"If I don't do something now, more people are gonna die."

New Jersey's first drive-thru coronavirus testing facility was expected to open at Bergen County Community College by Friday. Tedesco asked all health professionals who are interested in volunteering to email [email protected] .

County government offices will close to the public Tuesday morning but operations will continue.

The executive order also mandates the following:

• All construction activities will cease and all offices, malls, dance facilities, dental offices (other than for emergencies) will close immediately
  • No utility road work or road opening permits unless emergency situation
  • No utility meter readers that need to go into building
  • No roadway solicitation for charitable or other reasons even if previously granted a permit
  • Golf can remain open solely for golfers to walk. All clubhouses, restaurants, etc. related to golf course must close.

All schools across the state were closed indefinitely.

"The restrictions I'm putting in place are to protect you, the people of Bergen County," Tedesco said at Monday evening's briefing. "The people that visit here, the people that work here."

On 3/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, SIGMan Freud said:

There was an attempt in 1980 for the south to secede.  Looks like it was an effort to get political attention, but I wish they would do it again.  https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-jersey/nj-north-south-divide/

11 hours ago, Old_Hunter said:

“This is about saving lives," 

The catch-all phrase that justifies anything. 

That and "It's for the children."

• Agree 1