While I wait for my FID trying to decide what to get

So the finger prints will be done this week and then I will be waiting for NJ to process my application/background check... while I'm waiting I have been scouring youtube for gun reviews on what my first gun should be. It will not be a hand gun as I have never liked shooting handguns, same with semiauto. 

I am currently looking at 3 options:

Rossi Circuit Judge 45lc/410

Rossi Model 92 357/38 special

And 

Henry H001 22s/22l/22lr

I like the circuit judge but the ammo is going to be a burden and it doesn't have the capacity of the other 2. 

The model 92 looks like a great home defense option but I keep seeing videos on people needed to smooth out the finish and change the springs. I'm okay on cleaning and oiling but I know I dont know enough to work on a gun.

The Henry looks like the gun I would most enjoy at the range but is somewhat limited as a home defense option given the caliber and lack of side gate. 

I want to stay in a reasonable budget and I need to buy everything that will be needed to secure, ear protection and maintain the gun so buying 2 or all 3 is not an option. 

Any thoughts on my potential choices or alternatives?

If you are looking at home defense, do not discount semi-auto as it is your best choice!! Taking initial cost of the rifle and cost of ammo into consideration as well as effectiveness for home defense without risk of over penetration......The AR-15 is your best choice by far!

• Like 1

Uhhhh.... 

Dont like hand guns... ok fine. 

But why on earth would you limit yourself to these guns for self defense? Which use handgun rounds btw

If you want reliable and simple get a pump action shotgun.  You want real home defense, ar15 all day..  

Contrary to popular belief people buy ar15's because they are just that good for self defense... another than the 22 you listed it has about the same felt recoil as 357 or 45lc

You will get many experienced opinions in here, do not discount something because you associate some kind of image with it.

357 is not cheap and neither is 45lc ammo

• Agree 1

Thank you for responding, and if my only considerations were practical I hear you an AR has a lot of reasons going for it but I never liked shooting semi auto, and when I was a kid stuffing ammo into a magazine was one of my least favorite aspects of being there right next to missing the broad side of a barn with a handgun. If I went with an AR I guess I could make myself practice with it but it would be a chore not a pleasure. 

Would you rather have a few magazines pre loaded for home defense? Or try and load a magazine tube during a shoot out? Or even still have to manually load a round after each shot taking you off target.

All things that must be taken into consideration when purchasing something for defensive reasons. 

You definitely want to be comfortable with what you use, if possible I would suggest renting something at a range to try out.. 

8 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

But why on earth would you limit yourself to these guns for self defense? Which use handgun rounds btw

If you want reliable and simple get a pump action shotgun.  You want real home defense, ar15 all day.. 

There's another point of view to think about home defense as "Rings of Defense" based on target distance. So, depending on the situation and home layout, you could go from handgun, to shotgun, to AR15... basically having different concentric rings of firepower. Just a thought...

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Uhhhh.... 

Contrary to popular belief people buy ar15's because they are just that good for self defense... another than the 22 you listed it has about the same felt recoil as 357 or 45lc

You will get many experienced opinions in here, do not discount something because you associate some kind of image with it.

357 is not cheap and neither is 45lc ammo

I thought about a pump shotgun, so far none have really interested me. I could see myself getting a pump eventually as a second gun. My dad has a rather nice pump shotgun but that's a little out of my price range. 

I looked up the price on 38 special and that seemed rather reasonable.

11 minutes ago, Sniper said:

There's another point of view to think about home defense as "Rings of Defense" based on target distance. So, depending on the situation and home layout, you could go from handgun, to shotgun, to AR15... basically having different concentric rings of firepower. Just a thought...

That sounds very effective but also vastly out of my price range.

24 minutes ago, CF1782 said:

I thought about a pump shotgun, so far none have really interested me. I could see myself getting a pump eventually as a second gun. My dad has a rather nice pump shotgun but that's a little out of my price range. 

Most my favorite guns I dont use for Home defense...

think of it like owning a hammer... does it matter how much you "like" it? Or how well it can do the job? 

It takes far more training and skill to get the same performance from a lever action over a semiautomatic like ar15.

Things to consider are ergonomics, ease of use, rate of failure, minimum level of useful training.. and of course proficiency...

If you can shoot one well, quickly and in close quarters then it can work. A short model 1887 is something I will one day have in my "ring of defense", but even then a remington tac13 is probably more reliable

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CF1782 said:

Hmmmm, then you might have picked the wrong sport to participate in.... :pardon:  Ask me how I know...  :victory:

2 hours ago, CF1782 said:

Any thoughts on my potential choices or alternatives?

Knitting??? :crazy:

5 hours ago, CF1782 said:

am currently looking at 3 options:

---Its an expensive novelty, with many associated problems that you are unaware of; including gasses escaping at the cylinder/barrel connection.  There's a reason that gun mfgrs did not go down this path...forget it.

---Nice lever gun.  I have one myself. It's also a bit of a novelty, as it doesn't fit into any category well. It's also not particularly easy to shoot...lever guns do take time to learn.  Not a very common rifle either, and relatively expensive when you do find one.  It is however a nice companion for a 38 or 357 revolver.

Henry H001 22s/22l/22lr

---Beautiful, well-made, and relatively expensive rifle (for what it is).  Levers are an acquired taste.  A .22 lever rifle's greatest advantage is cheap shooting. For home defense?  A decided 'meh'.  I

What would I recommend?  That's kinda tough, as you haven't given us a whole lot of info to work with here.  Don't like semi-autos, don't like handguns.  Haven't shot much at all, and just got into the arena because the world is getting crazy.

Hmmm...to just have "something" around, that doesn't cost much or take much training or practice to 'defend the realm'...ugh....A difficult question. 

First -- do you realize what you're getting into?  In NJ, even carrying a rifle/shotgun outside the home can be considered assault; depending on what you're doing.  You need to get yourself informed.  These aren't toys, and this isn't the movies or tv.  It's a sobering topic to think about.  A cheap and easy primer would be one of Evan Nappen's lectures.  Yes, he is trying to sell a pre-paid legal plan, but you don't have to buy into that...he does cover the legal aspects (and potential pitfalls) well.

Second....what do you plan to do with this firearm?  It does matter.  If you want to have something, and might want to take up hunting or shooting trap/skeet/sporting clays ....you want a shotgun.  If you want to take-up paper target shooting...you want a rifle.take

Third ... Who is going to be shooting this firearm?  Just you?  You and the wife?  Kids?  It all plays into answering the question.

the answer of "what to recommend" hinges on these and other related questions.

Without further info....I'd say a pump shotgun is more what you need. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, W2MC said:

am currently looking at 3 options:

---Its an expensive novelty, with many associated problems that you are unaware of; including gasses escaping at the cylinder/barrel connection.  There's a reason that gun mfgrs did not go down this path...forget it.

---Nice lever gun.  I have one myself. It's also a bit of a novelty, as it doesn't fit into any category well. It's also not particularly easy to shoot...lever guns do take time to learn.  Not a very common rifle either, and relatively expensive when you do find one.  It is however a nice companion for a 38 or 357 revolver.

Henry H001 22s/22l/22lr

---Beautiful, well-made, and relatively expensive rifle (for what it is).  Levers are an acquired taste.  A .22 lever rifle's greatest advantage is cheap shooting. For home defense?  A decided 'meh'.  I

What would I recommend?  That's kinda tough, as you haven't given us a whole lot of info to work with here.  Don't like semi-autos, don't like handguns.  Haven't shot much at all, and just got into the arena because the world is getting crazy.

Hmmm...to just have "something" around, that doesn't cost much or take much training or practice to 'defend the realm'...ugh....A difficult question. 

First -- do you realize what you're getting into?  In NJ, even carrying a rifle/shotgun outside the home can be considered assault; depending on what you're doing.  You need to get yourself informed.  These aren't toys, and this isn't the movies or tv.  It's a sobering topic to think about.  A cheap and easy primer would be one of Evan Nappen's lectures.  Yes, he is trying to sell a pre-paid legal plan, but you don't have to buy into that...he does cover the legal aspects (and potential pitfalls) well.

Second....what do you plan to do with this firearm?  It does matter.  If you want to have something, and might want to take up hunting or shooting trap/skeet/sporting clays ....you want a shotgun.  If you want to take-up paper target shooting...you want a rifle.take

Third ... Who is going to be shooting this firearm?  Just you?  You and the wife?  Kids?  It all plays into answering the question.

the answer of "what to recommend" hinges on these and other related questions.

Without further info....I'd say a pump shotgun is more what you need. 

I am aware of the legal implications, and it is not that I haven't shot much it is more that I have not shot much in ages. My dad has a collection but moved south post retirement. 

As far as what I plan to do with the gun. I do not plan on hunting with it. I plan on taking it to the range, and having it secure in the house for me to access if needed. I will be the only user unless my child shows an interest when he is much much older... walking would be a good start. 

Thank you for your opinions on what I have looked at so far, I guess I do tend to favor "novelty" guns. I liked the multiple caliber aspect of the guns above as well the actions.

I will do some more research into a pump action. I understand that I probably will not be selecting the optimal fire arm for home defense. Truthfully,  I figured it would be better to select something I would enjoy using since that way I would be more likely to practice/take it to the range. 

If it is get an AR15 or a pump I'll probably end up with a pump. 

13 hours ago, Sniper said:

Hmmmm, then you might have picked the wrong sport to participate in.... :pardon:  Ask me how I know...  :victory:

Knitting??? :crazy:

I do crochet to relax( the red hat program that the American heart association does is great for newbies) but as far as the inner rings of defense if they are close enough for a crochet hook to reach them I'm probably going for a knife.:p

I spent a little time looking into 12 gauge pumps as recommended above and  found one that seems to be well reviewed for the most part and very affordable so much so I should have enough for a "novelty" range gun. 

So my 4th option is a tristar cobra 12 gauge/ chiappa little badger 22lr. 

I like the tri star's price point and the spring assist, and a foldable single shot 22 lr rifle looks like something affordable and fun to shoot also a good gun if I ever needed to have something in a backpack.

9 hours ago, CF1782 said:

I spent a little time looking into 12 gauge pumps as recommended above and  found one that seems to be well reviewed for the most part and very affordable so much so I should have enough for a "novelty" range gun. 

So my 4th option is a tristar cobra 12 gauge/ chiappa little badger 22lr. 

I like the tri star's price point and the spring assist, and a foldable single shot 22 lr rifle looks like something affordable and fun to shoot also a good gun if I ever needed to have something in a backpack.

Interesting options.  

I'd keep looking around; checking out the various offerings at your local shops to see what feels good and fits you.  There is a different "feel" to the operation of the different manufacturers firearms, based on stock design, control placement, etc, that may or may not work for you.

Also, you're better-off sticking to a more major manufacturer, like Remington, Mossberg, Ruger, Winchesrer, etc, because of commonality and parts availability.

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

Interesting options.  

I'd keep looking around; checking out the various offerings at your local shops to see what feels good and fits you.  There is a different "feel" to the operation of the different manufacturers firearms, based on stock design, control placement, etc, that may or may not work for you.

Also, you're better-off sticking to a more major manufacturer, like Remington, Mossberg, Ruger, Winchesrer, etc, because of commonality and parts availability.

I will most definitely keep looking around and I appreciate the note on the feel of the gun. I am left handed and I am anticipating some level of feel issues simply a part of it as I have experienced that with most of the guns I have shot. I will keep an eye out regarding brands however it seems like that comes with a much higher sticker price. I believe the Tri Star guns come with a 5 year warranty.

I am scratching my head at this thread, your posts and your options.  I would avoid the "less than ideal" choices you laid out.   I would simply buy a pump shotgun in 12 gauge and roll with that. And since you are a southpaw like me, get a Mossberg 500.  Ambi controls.  Cheap ammo, reliable, easy to maintain and simple to learn.  Plus 12 gauge is king for home defense.  All other calibers fall short.

• Agree 2

Some of those brands you have listed are hit or miss in the quality department. Stick with the majors...Mossberg, Henry, Ruger, S&W etc.

For a lefty shooter... I would say a 20 or 12 gauge Mossberg 500. Not sure if they still do, but Mossberg used to make lefty pumps. Mossberg has a tang safety that is ambidextrous. 20 gauge in a home defense situation gives up a little stopping power, but I would not hesitate to use one.

When you go shopping, check out the Ruger PC 9 or 40 carbines. Easy to shoot, cheap to feed. If you have issues with loading magazines, get an UpLula magazine loader. It is so easy to use. I can load a 10 round magazine effortlessly in under 15 seconds.

1 hour ago, CF1782 said:

I will most definitely keep looking around and I appreciate the note on the feel of the gun. I am left handed and I am anticipating some level of feel issues simply a part of it as I have experienced that with most of the guns I have shot. I will keep an eye out regarding brands however it seems like that comes with a much higher sticker price. I believe the Tri Star guns come with a 5 year warranty.

Ah....you see what I meant about more info?  Being a lefty DOES change things!  I'm also left handed (strange how many we have here on NJgunforums), and yes - a Mossberg 500 is a good choice for you. 

On 3/18/2020 at 12:00 AM, CF1782 said:

Used 38 special revolvers are one way to go.  You don't have to worry as much with over penetration of walls if you live in an urban setting and revolvers are simple to use and easy to maintain.  Finally, a used one is usually a fraction of the price of a new one.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:00 AM, CF1782 said:

You keep referencing this but don't ever tell us your budget.  That would be helpful for us to know.

If this is about defense, .22lr is the least desirable option.  We can probably find you a long gun in a better caliber, within your exact budget.

10 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

You keep referencing this but don't ever tell us your budget.  That would be helpful for us to know.

If this is about defense, .22lr is the least desirable option.  We can probably find you a long gun in a better caliber, within your exact budget.

Sorry that was an oversight. 600 to 700 dollars including basic safety( lockable hard case or small gun safe, trigger lock) and maintenance( gun oil patches bore cleaner etc). With about 100 dollars for ammo. 

1 minute ago, CF1782 said:

Sorry that was an oversight. 600 to 700 dollars including basic safety( lockable hard case or small gun safe, trigger lock) and maintenance( gun oil patches bore cleaner etc). With about 100 dollars for ammo. 

Mossberg 500, bore snake, hoppes #9 oil, old sock, a case of birdshot to practice and 25 rounds of 00 buck will cost about 600 clams.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CF1782 said:

Look for used for even cheaper 

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Mossberg 500, bore snake, hoppes #9 oil, old sock, a case of birdshot to practice and 25 rounds of 00 buck will cost about 600 clams.

Ding ding ding...We have a winner! 

If I could only own 1 gun, it would be a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge.... it can both feed you and protect you.

You really don't need a 12ga for HD, a 20ga is more than ample, but if it is a 12ga you want than a simple Mossberg 500 is a value priced option.

As for HG - A revolver is pleanty for HD unless you really expect the have the Shoot Out at the OK corral in your home. That being said, yo ucan get a valeu priced Taurus .38 / .357 revolver new wit ha lifetime warranty for under $500.00. Sure, used is an option but the used market prices are a bit stronger than new right now, so a new gun is a better value (imo).

Best of Luck!

let the argument begin.............

Thank you for the link. I was looking at Oakridge FireArms as I have seen good reviews and their online inventory  looked reasonably priced.