Hope this isn’t a duplicate post but recently updated my FID and was talking to someone about a recent handgun purchased and the permit. They stated that since the handgun was purchased and shows my old address that I can no longer take the gun out of the residence (to a range) as it must stay home at all times. I then got another opinion that opposed this neighbors that I can go the range with it because it’s in my name and the old address on the permit doesn’t matter. FID card was updated along with license. Can someone here just confirm that I can take the handgun to the range and also do I need to carry that permit paper with me at all times i’m with the firearm or is my FID enough. Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, g192019 said:

I believe I have no reason to worry about going to the range with it.

Correct. It doesn't matter what address it was originally purchased at, as long as you're not a prohibited person NOW. People move all the time and change addresses.

If you're concerned, carry a copy of the COE form you received when you purchased it, to show you purchased it legally.

17 minutes ago, g192019 said:

Read through this and a good portion of the NJ laws. It doesn’t say word for word anything on my exact question, but from what I can see, I believe I have no reason to worry about going to the range with it.

Don't listen to them anymore!  Have your FID card with you and transport unloaded yada, yada!  Enjoy your time at the range!

• Agree 1

The average gun owner (and most gun shop employees, apparently) in NJ believes they know 200%* of NJ gun laws and - at best - maybe actually knows 5%. Most of their tales of gun laws should start "I heard from my neighbor's cousin's uncle's barber that he overheard a cop on the phone say that ____ is illegal."

People move within the state as well as from out of state all the time, bringing their handguns with them. As long as you are not carrying it outside your property or driving around with it all the time, you should be OK. Meaning pretty much going directly to/from FFL/gunsmith, range, home(s). Guns are most certainly not locked to a specific address.

"Gee honey, we can't move, all my guns are linked to 123 any street, guess we are stuck here forever, or the new owner is getting a free gun collection."

* Yes, 200%. They make up new laws for NJ that even the idiots in Trenton haven't forced on us peons yet.

• Agree 1

You could burn all your paperwork today and it wouldn't change a damn thing.

You don't have to keep ANY OF IT, including you FPID..

As long as it was legally purchased IN NJ at the point of sale, you are free to transport the guns in NJ as outlined in the law...

Handguns to range, smith, home, business.

Rifles shotguns and everything else anywhere...

The law just says you have to have acquired a FPID to transport long guns.. nothing about whats on it and keeping it with you.

6 hours ago, g192019 said:

Hope this isn’t a duplicate post but recently updated my FID and was talking to someone about a recent handgun purchased and the permit ... I then got another opinion that opposed this neighbors that I can go the range with it because it’s in my name and the old address on the permit doesn’t matter ... I can take the handgun to the range and also do I need to carry that permit paper with me at all times i’m with the firearm ...

To be clear here, it's simply a "Permit to Purchase" - which has already happened and was factually correct at the time of purchase.  What happens after the purchase is irrelevant as it relates to the P2P.

I figured what they were saying didn’t make much sense even being new to all of this. The more i read up on our state’s law, the more i realize how much they’re trying to take away our rights all together. Hopefully it doesn’t ever come to that. Thanks everyone for the clarification.

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

The law just says you have to have acquired a FPID to transport long guns.. nothing about whats on it and keeping it with you.

True, but it never hurts to have that (almost) wallet-sized proof that you're a 'good guy' with you when you're legally transporting them.

Could save you a ride in a cage.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, g192019 said:

I figured what they were saying didn’t make much sense even being new to all of this. The more i read up on our state’s law, the more i realize how much they’re trying to take away our rights all together. Hopefully it doesn’t ever come to that. Thanks everyone for the clarification.

4 hours ago, g192019 said:

Read through this and a good portion of the NJ laws. It doesn’t say word for word anything on my exact question, but from what I can see, I believe I have no reason to worry about going to the range with it.

Exactly why I sent you to the State Police website.  It allowed you to cut-thru all the BS you were hearing and be able to understand what the laws really say.

Glad it helped!