45Doll

The Limits Of PA Governor Wolf's Power

Attorney Joshua Prince in PA, vigilant as always, has posted this brief on the limits of the governor's power in the case of coronavirus. Note especially the section on firearms, regarding store closures and confiscation.

I would love see a similar analysis on NJ law.

"When you ask, I'm like putty in your hands. When you forbid, thou art barking up the wrong tree."

Jess Birdwall, Friendly Persuasion

meanwhile here in nj just got this..

DON'T EVENTHINK ABOUT USING CORONAVIRUS AS AN EXCUSE TO SHUT DOWN GUN PERMITTING

March 18, 2019. Today, ANJRPC convinced one NJ town to voluntarily reverse its shutdown of firearms permitting due to Coronavirus, and is issuing this warning to every other permitting authority in NJ: Don't even THINK of using Coronavirus as an excuse to stop processing firearms permits and credentials.

"Times of emergency are precisely the times when people need the right to protect themselves and their families the most," said ANJRPC Executive Director Scott Bach. "ANJRPC will not tolerate any attempt by any municipality to interrupt the firearms permitting process for any reason, and will spare no effort or expense to protect the right of law-abiding New Jerseyans to obtain firearms."

ANJRPC attorney Dan Schmutter stated: "It is absolutely unlawful for a local authority that has been injected into the firearms acquisition process to shut down that process because it is unable or unwilling to maintain it during times of emergency -- when Constitutional rights must be protected the most. Towns must either fulfill their Constitutional obligation to maintain an acquisition process, or be eliminated from the process itself. Shutting down the process is simply not an option."

If you become aware of any permitting authority in NJ that attempts to shut down the firearms permitting process due to Coronavirus, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so that ANJRPC can address it.

Please stay safe during this challenging time, and know that ANJRPC will continue to be vigilant in protecting our Second Amendment rights no matter what.
  • Like 2

Of course I want to side with the brief (and IANAL), but couldn't an argument be made that it fits under "natural disaster - other catastrophe"?  Seems general enough:

“Natural disaster.”  Any hurricane, tornado, storm, flood, high water, wind-driven water, tidal wave, earthquake, landslide, mudslide, snowstorm, drought, fire, explosion or other catastrophe which results in substantial damage to property, hardship, suffering or possible loss of life.

or even man made disaster as "other injurious environmental contamination".

Wolf pushing his power again. How much more will they take?

Pennsylvania Governor Bans Alcohol Sales On The Day Before Thanksgiving

....."Bars and restaurants should stop selling alcohol starting at 1700ET on Wednesday until 0800ET Thanksgiving morning. Since Thanksgiving is typically "the biggest day for drinking", the governor hopes the mandate could help slow the spread of the virus.

Democratic Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf is tapping into his state's Quaker roots to deliver an economy-sized dose of Thanksgiving disappointment. In an effort to avert a coronavirus-inspired lockdown, the governor said Monday that he would ban alcohol sales in the state on the day before Thanksgiving via executive order.

The ban on alcohol sales follows orders to limit holiday gatherings to members of one's immediate family or household. The governor warned that all of these restrictions would help the state avoid "greater strain" on its health-care system, which is more vulnerable in rural parts of the vast Keystone state.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/pennsylvania-governor-bans-alcohol-sales-day-thanksgiving

4 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Really?

I would think St. Patrick's Day, New Year's Eve. Super Bowl Sunday, would be bigger

back in the 80's when i was delivering pizza, i used to clean up on st pattys day..........holy shit! nearly everyone was plastered when they ordered.....and......drunk people tip the best. followed by guys trying to impress their girlfriends, then by gay guys. dykes don't tip worth shit. ........

27 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Really?

I would think St. Patrick's Day, New Year's Eve. Super Bowl Sunday, would be bigger

I can’t compare to anything else but it’s not  the first time I’ve heard it called that. Basically everyone is home from college, no classes, no work the next day.  

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

I've got friends and relatives there that are ready to march on Harrisburg.

Why, are they serving free food? :pardon:

12 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I can’t compare to anything else but it’s not  the first time I’ve heard it called that. Basically everyone is home from college, no classes, no work the next day.  

Yeah, but they're so short-sighted, the kids will just BYOB and pick a different place to meet up.

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

by what law/rule/word/executive order?

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Travelers.aspx

The Secretary of Health issued an order requiring anyone who visits from another state to have a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to entering the commonwealth. 

If someone cannot get a test or chooses not to, they must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Pennsylvania.