oxasasaf

Question about references

I'm a first-time applicant and was wondering - does it matter whether your references are NJ residents, or are out-of-state references acceptable?

The procedure also says that you must have known them for three years if you're applying for a permit to carry - does that also apply to registrants who are only applying for an ID card and purchase permit?

Finally, with the virus going around, do you think there will be a massive delay in processing?

EDIT: I just realized one more thing. Apparently, they call up your employer during the initial check. What if you're self-employed/freelance?

It doesn't matter were they live. From your point of view it only matters they reply quickly.

The procedure also says that you must have known them for three years if you're applying for a permit to carry - does that also apply to registrants who are only applying for an ID card and purchase permit?

Correct. Applies to those applying for a FPID and permit to purchase. And they can't be relatives of yours.

Finally, with the virus going around, do you think there will be a massive delay in processing?

It shouldn't but it could. If they refuse to take your application or give you any grief, contact these guys

https://www.anjrpc.org/page/ANJRPCEngagesWith10TownsonPermittingShutdown

I just realized one more thing. Apparently, they call up your employer during the initial check. What if you're self-employed/freelance?

You put down you are self-employed. It's neither against the law nor a strike against you.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, oxasasaf said:

EDIT: I just realized one more thing. Apparently, they call up your employer during the initial check. What if you're self-employed/freelance?

As noted above, stating you are self-employed works just fine.

I always gave my personal office number as my employer number, figuring if called I could either confirm my own employment, or forward the call to HR if pressed.   But in 20 years of doing that, the towns I lived in never called...    But I'm sure that some do.

I am self-employed and I always get my permits.

As for references, check with your town about using relatives. My town allows it. For my last round of permits in December, I used my father and my son with no problems at all. 

NICS was running days behind until it got shut down yesterday. The only way you can get a gun at this point is a face to face transfer from an immediate relative.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:29 AM, dajonga said:

I am self-employed and I always get my permits.

As for references, check with your town about using relatives. My town allows it. For my last round of permits in December, I used my father and my son with no problems at all. 

NICS was running days behind until it got shut down yesterday. The only way you can get a gun at this point is a face to face transfer from an immediate relative.

I've been looking online, unsuccessfully, for clarification on this.  So as of today 3/25/20 I can transfer a rifle to my brother face to face in NJ correct?  We just need 2 copies of the SP634. 

thanks for the info in advance

1 hour ago, Charles Mathews said:

I've been looking online, unsuccessfully, for clarification on this.  So as of today 3/25/20 I can transfer a rifle to my brother face to face in NJ correct?  We just need 2 copies of the SP634. 

If your brother has a NJ PFID card and matching DL, yes, you can transfer a long gun to your brother using the NJ Certificate of Eligiblity for each gun. If he has a Permit to Purchase a handgun, you can transfer a hand gun to him. You keep blue, he gets pink, white and yellow get mailed off to cops.

EDIT..... Apologies Charles...you mentioned SP 634...which is the NJ COE.

41 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

You can use relatives as references.  There is no reason they would call your employer unless you list them as a reference. 

They actually call "to verify employment".  At least last time I got permits while employed.  Which makes absolutely no sense since unemployed people / Self employed still get permits.

Last company had a dedicated line for employment verification,  all it would say is yes/no that you worked there,  no further information.  So it couldn't be used to harass you.

2 hours ago, Charles Mathews said:

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

There is an exemption that excludes members of an immediate family.  So you should be good to go if your brother has a FPID.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

If your brother has a NJ PFID card and matching DL, yes, you can transfer a long gun to your brother using the NJ Certificate of Eligiblity for each gun. If he has a Permit to Purchase a handgun, you can transfer a hand gun to him. You keep blue, he gets pink, white and yellow get mailed off to cops.

EDIT..... Apologies Charles...you mentioned SP 634...which is the NJ COE.

thx Dajonga, just didnt know if that changed with Murphy's recent gun laws

17 minutes ago, PeteF said:

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

There is an exemption that excludes members of an immediate family.  So you should be good to go if your brother has a FPID.

Thx Pete, looks like his purchase won't go thru due to the exec order so, I'll have to transfer one to him.  We've done it before but wasnt clear if it was still ok after Murphy's recent gun laws.,, thx