kc17

I need to buy another pistol

To offset my non-firearms related thread, and since the topic somewhat came up in another thread....

I occasionally suffer from mild analysis paralysis. Usually when trying to decide on a design for a project build or when making an important purchase. That is a key reason why I had not yet purchased a weapon mounted light. The last couple of weeks pushed me to just order one. I went with the Streamlight TLR-1, amazingly enough Amazon says it will be here Friday, not the second half of April like most items now.

The new "problem" is that this will be going on my home defense pistol, which is the same pistol I use for competitions. Which means I will need to remove/reinstall it often. since I don't have it in hand yet, I don't know how well it will hold up to such use long term. Therefore, I need to buy another pistol. We can ignore the fact that I've been planning another purchase for months anyway.

6 minutes ago, kc17 said:

To offset my non-firearms related thread, and since the topic somewhat came up in another thread....

I occasionally suffer from mild analysis paralysis. Usually when trying to decide on a design for a project build or when making an important purchase. That is a key reason why I had not yet purchased a weapon mounted light. The last couple of weeks pushed me to just order one. I went with the Streamlight TLR-1, amazingly enough Amazon says it will be here Friday, not the second half of April like most items now.

The new "problem" is that this will be going on my home defense pistol, which is the same pistol I use for competitions. Which means I will need to remove/reinstall it often. since I don't have it in hand yet, I don't know how well it will hold up to such use long term. Therefore, I need to buy another pistol. We can ignore the fact that I've been planning another purchase for months anyway.

It will be fine. Also just get a wml holster and keep it on. Less muzzle rise and we game for practice. We should not practice to game

Just now, Zeke said:

It will be fine. Also just get a wml holster and keep it on. Less muzzle rise and we game for practice. We should not practice to game

Wait, you're trying to talk me out of buying a gun?

I have thought of that, I need to check if wml are allowed in USPSA; they are not allowed in IDPA.

1 minute ago, kc17 said:

Wait, you're trying to talk me out of buying a gun?

I have thought of that, I need to check if wml are allowed in USPSA; they are not allowed in IDPA.

@High Exposure once said “ beware of the man with just one gun, he probably knows how to use it” or sumtin like that

25 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Oh boy, here we go.  Why Mrs. Smith?

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand....LOL...

I personally have 2 Berettas. Only one is a handgun. So its not like I'm a big fanboy. But I can understand collecting Berettas a lot easier then glocks.

and it's Mr. Smith thank you very much...lol

13 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Buy the same type of pistol again. Problem solved.:imsohappy:

Ask how many guys have multiple glocks ( I don't know why either)

It is/was/will be again easy and convenient buying firearms in the great state of Pennsylvania.  Why stop with multiple Glocks ??

3 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand....LOL...

I personally have 2 Berettas. Only one is a handgun. So its not like I'm a big fanboy. But I can understand collecting Berettas a lot easier then glocks.

and it's Mr. Smith thank you very much...lol

I have three Ms. Smith, I fully understand.

Light came in a day early. Not super thrilled with it. That's what happens when I buy in a rush.

The good items:

Very bright, seems solidly built, install/removal is easy enough.

The not thrilled with items:

It's big (2 large batteries are a partial reason, which hopefully means longer life), the battery compartment door is frustrating, the on/off switch is a little funky and will take some practice to get used to. I don't see a declaration of where it's manufactured, which typically means China.

29 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Light came in a day early. Not super thrilled with it. That's what happens when I buy in a rush.

The good items:

Very bright, seems solidly built, install/removal is easy enough.

The not thrilled with items:

It's big (2 large batteries are a partial reason, which hopefully means longer life), the battery compartment door is frustrating, the on/off switch is a little funky and will take some practice to get used to. I don't see a declaration of where it's manufactured, which typically means China.

What light?

I am going to recommend a Walther PPQ. I love my 5” with a streamlight as a HD pistol  and it is probably the most accurate striker fired pistol I have tried yet. Even my poor shooting got a fist sized group at 25 yards. Out of the box the trigger is great. Only downside with the 5” is it’s tough to find holsters that work with the streamlight and 5” barrel. 
I have the regular 5” not the q5 because I didn’t feel like the q5 added $300 value to me over the stock 5”. 

https://waltherarms.com/ppq-m2-3/

-Jim

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

Ehh...

If I can get the remote switch and ring adapter, I think it'll go on my shotty once I find one I like better for the handgun.

I picked the TLR-3 for my Glock 17.  Like you, I thought the TLR-1 was too bulky.

TLR-3 seems just right to me:

tlr303.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

That's another thing I'm not fully decided on. Is the new gun my competition gun or my new home defense gun? I have decided I do not want them to be the same physical gun. I'm leaning towards the new being the home gun. That'll save me money on gear and magazines. 

I do IDPA and USPSA; only a few IDPA before Somerset shut down for renovations last summer.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:26 PM, kc17 said:

I get analysis paralysis as well. Thanks for defining it for me!

What pistol are you going to use for gaming? If you plan on using a "race" gun or modifying any compenenets that may affect reliability such as a trigger job, I'd recommend purchasing another firearm and keeping it stock (aside from upgrades that won't compromise reliability).

As far as the TLR-1; read the directions for opening the battery compartment. It's easy if you know how to open it. Mine is secured with a set screw and takes all of 5 seconds to remove. Don't buy another gun just because of that. Unless it's a Walther PPQ. :)

20200327_102654.jpg

I've been using my Gen1 M&P, completely stock. I have no intentions on getting a race gun. If I do get a new HD handgun, I may get a trigger job and have the magazine disconnect/safety removed from the M&P and continue to use that for USPSA. I was planning to switch to my Shield (also stock) for IDPA.

I did read the directions, and I did get the battery compartment opened & closed, mine does not use a set screw and is stamped "TLR-1 HL", not "1s" like in your picture. I just don't like the design. There is a tab you have to get into the slot before you can lock the lever. That was frustrating since the springs are pushing against it at the time. I can open/close it just fine, it's just not a design I would've come up with.

There are a number of TLR systems for the pistol size. 1 is the big boy, fits great on full sized.. like a glove on my m9a1.. the 3 is smaller and now the 4 too.

The mounting tab is for indexing the light to the trigger gaurd, there are a couple different sizes to push the light forward or back.

Over the years they have modified the led output and shroud for beam pattern.. the HL so far is my favorite 

2 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I've been using my Gen1 M&P, completely stock. I have no intentions on getting a race gun. If I do get a new HD handgun, I may get a trigger job and have the magazine disconnect/safety removed from the M&P and continue to use that for USPSA. I was planning to switch to my Shield (also stock) for IDPA.

I did read the directions, and I did get the battery compartment opened & closed, mine does not use a set screw and is stamped "TLR-1 HL", not "1s" like in your picture. I just don't like the design. There is a tab you have to get into the slot before you can lock the lever. That was frustrating since the springs are pushing against it at the time. I can open/close it just fine, it's just not a design I would've come up with.

Decision, decisions...

If you keep the M&P for home defense then I'd say get a CZ or Tanfoglio/Witness for competition.  You can find them reasonably priced (non-pimped) and have something "different".

If you keep the M&P for competition you could get a Glock (gasp) or Sig, or HK, etc, etc for home defense.

Either way...you'd be getting a new gun :)

When I first shopped for handguns I didn't like the Glocks I fondled and shot. The grip angled didn't work for me. Out of the handful of guns I shot at that time, I liked the M&P the best, so that's what I bought. I don't think I've ever shot or closely looked at a Walther. CZ doesn't appeal to me. I think this is the first I've heard of T/W.

1 minute ago, kc17 said:

When I first shopped for handguns I didn't like the Glocks I fondled and shot. The grip angled didn't work for me. Out of the handful of guns I shot at that time, I liked the M&P the best, so that's what I bought. I don't think I've ever shot or closely looked at a Walther. CZ doesn't appeal to me. I think this is the first I've heard of T/W.

Tanfoglio/Witness are essentially CZ clones, so you can cross them off the list if you don't like CZ's.

Good luck on your search!

• Thanks 1