deerpark

Thoughts on using a laser cartridge to zero your rifle/firearm.

I never had much luck with the chambered cartridge-type laser sights. Could never get consistent results. I switched to a muzzle-end bore sight (see below) and have had good results. I generally use that to sight-in, following the instructions closely, and then go to the 100 yard range directly. The only problem I've had with the SiteLite is that it isn't ideal for short barreled pistols or rifles with long muzzle devices. 

https://www.amazon.com/SiteLite-SL-100-Mag-Laser-Boresighter/dp/B001NZLJA6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1YNWJYXUG3X1X&dchild=1&keywords=laser+bore+sight&qid=1585134682&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=laser+bore+%2Csporting%2C158&sr=1-641iZe-gbyuL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

1 hour ago, SIGMan Freud said:

Don't waste your money on those crappy ones that look like a cartridge!  I have the one pictured above and it works great!:)

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

The cheap chamber cartridge lasers help me save some range time - I can get a new optic aligned in my garage so it’s “on paper” at 25-50 yards at the range.

No argument that the higher quality bore sights will get you much closer to a zero at longer ranges.

and this is how they are supposed to be used.  sadly, many think you can go to range and zero at 100 yds using these.  25yds max in your house and then range.

OP, they are fine if used as stated

I have had the $30 Bushnell boresighter for a few years and have had no complaints at all. It is very durable, too.... My kids use it as a cat laser all the time and it has held up to a ton of abuse. In fact, it is used 99% for cat laser duty, 1% gun sighter.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, dajonga said:

I have had the $30 Bushnell boresighter for a few years and have had no complaints at all. It is very durable, too.... My kids use it as a cat laser all the time and it has held up to a ton of abuse. In fact, it is used 99% for cat laser duty, 1% gun sighter.

I had that one for 10 plus years. Worked ok. Switch finally broke. I’ll upgrade to the sigh mark one eventually. 

they are just to get you on paper!

On 3/25/2020 at 10:57 AM, dajonga said:

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I have been using the bushnell boresighter for over 10 years. Works perfectly fine with muzzle breaks and comes with adapters for just about any caliber

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I have been using the bushnell boresighter for over 10 years. Works perfectly fine with muzzle breaks and comes with adapters for just about any caliber

Thats a pretty generic bore sighter, I have basically the same one, and it's pretty damn accurate to mechanical zero.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:23 AM, Zeke said:

I had that one for 10 plus years. Worked ok. Switch finally broke. I’ll upgrade to the sigh mark one eventually. 

they are just to get you on paper!

The newer version from Bushnell did away with the switch. It is now a simple "twist until it contacts the battery and turns on" arrangement. Pretty foolproof IMHO.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dajonga said:

The newer version from Bushnell did away with the switch. It is now a simple "twist until it contacts the battery and turns on" arrangement. Pretty foolproof IMHO.

Now you tell me!Now you tell me!

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

What ever happened to the enjoyment of sighting in your firearm?  Isn't that the purpose of practice?  Maybe I'm just old school or a fossil.

Dude.. get them on paper first. Anything else is silly 

22 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Dude.. get them on paper first. Anything else is silly 

Pistol:  5 yards, then 10, then 20.

Rifle:  25 yards, then 50, then 100.

Shotgun:  10 yards, then 25

Quit your bitchin and start flingin.

That shouldn't cost you the fee of the laser, it should cost you 10 or 12 rounds of ammo and a half hour.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I’ve always started at 25yds when zeroing a rifle.

When I’m on paper at 25, I go to 100 and dial it in. I agree with RayRay...should only take a 1/2 box of ammo to sort it all out. 

For Gods sakes, ALWAYS confirm your zero. I know guys who will have their hunting rifle bore sighted, then go hunting without dialing it in first. :facepalm:

The fun of gun ownership and shooting is learning your guns .  Learning where they hit with different ammo types.  Learning what it likes and what it doesn't like.

Is bore sighting "easier"?  I guess, if you are lazy and just want to be cheap.  

This brings up a point that we don't talk a lot about here.  Technology 

Technology, while it has plenty of benefits, also has its drawbacks.   Much to discuss about technology, but that is for another topic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shepherd9 said:

I'm not knocking the higher end bore sighters at all but I do find the cheap laser cartridge type work just fine for me.  They always have me on paper at 50 yards and I enjoy process of sighting in further from there.

Agree. Where is @Shane45 to educate these miscreants!

I have a 4x? or 4.5x Gen 1 night vision scope that I had to zero using a cartridge boresighter that seemed to work well enough for what I wanted and the ranges I would expect to use it at.  Might get one of the fancy ones sometime, but for now, it will do well enough for my needs.