Old Glock guy

What's everyone doing with their pandemic isolation free time?

Just now, 45Doll said:

If you mean our Food Saver, we've been doing that for years.

BTW, for those interested.

Buy a long roll of foodsaver bags. Cut to a necessary length. Coat a firearm with appropriate long term storage material. Place in the bag. Position thin foam material on any sharp corners to prevent tearing. Now suck it closed.

Voila! Long term storage. Works for accessories like magazines too. 

Double seal 

1 minute ago, 45Doll said:

If you mean our Food Saver, we've been doing that for years.

BTW, for those interested.

Buy a long roll of foodsaver bags. Cut to a necessary length. Coat a firearm with appropriate long term storage material. Place in the bag. Position thin foam material on any sharp corners to prevent tearing. Now suck it closed.

Voila! Long term storage. Works for accessories like magazines too. 

How long does the bag material hold up if buried?  Asking for a friend.

I don't know about buried, but if it was inside an appropriate sealed protective container I would say at least six years. In the case of sealing up a rifle I would say a pack of desiccant stuffed into the mag/chamber void wouldn't hurt. A cheap insurance policy. If the bag is durable, indefinitely.

A friend of mine had certain items stored for that long and when opened were like new.

One thing though. Observe the sealed items for at least 30 days to confirm the seal is tight and there's no 'micro' leaks in the bag you cut. If the seal holds 30 days, it's good.

Yesterday, did yard work. Put the snowblower away in the shed. Put out my patio set, umbrella, etc.  Got an estimate on a new fence.

Today am going to tuneup and change the oil in my generator. A Honda EU3000is.  Btw, if you have a gas genny, do you run it from time to time and cycle/pump out the gas before it gets too old.  A nice day to do work in the driveway.

14 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Yesterday, did yard work. Put the snowblower away in the shed. Put out my patio set, umbrella, etc.  Got an estimate on a new fence.

Today am going to tuneup and change the oil in my generator. A Honda EU3000is.  Btw, if you have a gas genny, do you run it from time to time and cycle/pump out the gas before it gets too old.  A nice day to do work in the driveway.

I drain mine every September August. Use the fuel for fall clean up. Refill with fresh gas and stabalizer

59 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

I run my gas items at least once a month and cycle the fuel among them and the vehicles.  I add storage additives to the genny, but not to the blower, mower or trimmer as those get used more often than not.  Also, I run the genny hooked up and test it under load to make sure I'm 100% ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

I run my gas items at least once a month and cycle the fuel among them and the vehicles.  I add storage additives to the genny, but not to the blower, mower or trimmer as those get used more often than not.  Also, I run the genny hooked up and test it under load to make sure I'm 100% ready.

You're better off just adding in additives.. 

A month is actually enough time for water to separate from gas, over time causing issues. If it didnt have ethanol in it I'd say it's no big deal but that is rare. Especially for small motor applications... many those motors hate ethanol fuel due to water seperation.

Simply running your equipment every so often doesnt really do anything to preserve them unless a fresh tank of gas is used each time. I also use marvel mystery oil in cylinders for long term storage.

I fill up about 30 gallons every august.. every 5 gals gets stabil, I use it all up by the following year. Rinse repeat. That gas will do less harm sitting in the tanks, carbs, and cylinders in one year than untreated will do in a months time.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:16 PM, ChrisJM981 said:

It's not. I've never used Tinder and when I did a search it didn't exist until a year after the date in question. It was probably the crazy chick I dated for a bit. Crazy as in chased a guy out of her restaurant with a knife and decided she was going to get a motorcycle in December after wrecking her car. Still an upgrade over the prior 2. :D

Christopher, why do you persist?  Do you NOT remember the conversation we had?  I do, my wife does and you do too.   

37 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

You're better off just adding in additives.. 

A month is actually enough time for water to separate from gas, over time causing issues. If it didnt have ethanol in it I'd say it's no big deal but that is rare. Especially for small motor applications... many those motors hate ethanol fuel due to water seperation.

Simply running your equipment every so often doesnt really do anything to preserve them unless a fresh tank of gas is used each time. I also use marvel mystery oil in cylinders for long term storage.

I fill up about 30 gallons every august.. every 5 gals gets stabil, I use it all up by the following year. Rinse repeat. That gas will do less harm sitting in the tanks, carbs, and cylinders in one year than untreated will do in a months time.

I use Stabil as well and run them mostly to keep gaskets lubed as well as piece of mind that my stuff will work when needed.  I just ran the genny and blower a few minutes ago.  I have a reminder set on my ohone for the first of every month to do so.

42 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I don't bother with stabilizer.   I have one 5 gallon gas can for all of the yard equipment; it gets used quickly enough that it needs no stabilization.     I also keep multiple 5 gallon cans constantly filled for the generator.  I write fill dates on these and every six months or less I dump them into the cars and refill on the same day, so I never have a gap of more than a few hours without my full supply of generator gas.  I'd have to do that once a year anyway, even with stabilized fuel, so just save the cost of the stabilizer and rotate stock twice a year instead.

Four to six times a year, I put just enough gas in my generator to run it for 20 minutes or so under load, then run it till the tank is dry for storage.

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

I don't bother with stabilizer.   I have one 5 gallon gas can for all of the yard equipment; it gets used quickly enough that it needs no stabilization.     I also keep multiple 5 gallon cans constantly filled for the generator.  I write fill dates on these and every six months or less I dump them into the cars and refill on the same day, so I never have a gap of more than a few hours without my full supply of generator gas.  I'd have to do that once a year anyway, even with stabilized fuel, so just save the cost of the stabilizer and rotate stock twice a year instead.

Four to six times a year, I put just enough gas in my generator to run it for 20 minutes or so under load, then run it till the tank is dry for storage.

I dont leave gas tanks empty, especially with ethanol based fuel running through it.. water separation occurs within a month of non treated fuel. 

I just restored an empty gas tank for a motorcycle, it was drained for a couple years but had ethenol based fuel in it prior...  it had way more surface rust than I would have expected. This is mostly because it is impossible to get it all out unless you take the tanks off. Plus, atmospheric moisture will also corrode.

Six months untreated is too long IMO for ethanol based fuel. In plastic containers you just dont have much to worry about.

There are many ways to deal with this, stabilizer cost dirt cheap to treat 60 gallons of gas, and you dont have to do any of all this extra work. 

I start my genny every time I start my mower/snowblower. Its electric start so the battery keeps a charge without me hooking it up to a tender. I run it off propane so I dont have to worry about ethanol problems. For my chain saw and string trimmer I use non ethanol gas. And just run them dry every time I put them away. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

I dont leave gas tanks empty, especially with ethanol based fuel running through it.. water separation occurs within a month of non treated fuel. 

I just restored an empty gas tank for a motorcycle, it was drained for a couple years but had ethenol based fuel in it prior...  it had way more surface rust than I would have expected. This is mostly because it is impossible to get it all out unless you take the tanks off. Plus, atmospheric moisture will also corrode.

Six months untreated is too long IMO for ethanol based fuel. In plastic containers you just dont have much to worry about.

There are many ways to deal with this, stabilizer cost dirt cheap to treat 60 gallons of gas, and you dont have to do any of all this extra work. 

Fair point about tank rust, but all of my yard equipment has plastic tanks.  The generator and the snowblower are really hard to drain, and since those are also the ones most likely to go unused after a fill, I store them empty.    The gas stabilizer recommends no more than a year of storage anyway, so I'd still be stuck cycling the gas once a year regardless.

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

Fair point about tank rust, but all of my yard equipment has plastic tanks.  The generator and the snowblower are really hard to drain, and since those are also the ones most likely to go unused after a fill, I store them empty.    The gas stabilizer recommends no more than a year of storage anyway, so I'd still be stuck cycling the gas once a year regardless.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/STAR-TRON-8-oz-Fuel-Additive/3329684?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-google-_-lia-_-154-_-lubricants-_-3329684-_-0&store_code=1976&placeholder=null&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrojs2p3K6AIVjYvICh0kpQ5VEAQYASABEgIQOvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

i don't recommend it, and go through it in a year, but this is what I use with a 2 year shelf life.

Well I took care of all the odd jobs around the house and the honey-do list. So for laughs I decided to solve the Standard Model langrangian . Suprisingly, the answer was: W=.45

360471747_TheCoreEquation.thumb.jpg.58ce211471a1d33e6e082af2b6d4d9fa.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Well I took care of all the odd jobs around the house and the honey-do list. So for laughs I decided to solve the Standard Model langrangian . Suprisingly, the answer was: W=.45

360471747_TheCoreEquation.thumb.jpg.58ce211471a1d33e6e082af2b6d4d9fa.jpg

Your formula fails to address how light is affected by gravity.

f-