xXxplosive

No Police.....so what.

37 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

Uh. Yes.  You have their staff and redundant systems in their top tier data centers with multiple 10 gb ISP connections in your house?

So, you never have WiFi drop outs from your router or modem in your house, and Comcast, Verizon or Optimum (who ever you have) never has outages or goes down in your area?

Really?

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

I was told tonight by a neighboring municipality leo that they were to stand down to driving infraction stops.   Only interact with real issues. I guess violent crimes only.  Thats why you haven’t seen many cars pulled over. Shits gettin real.  And now bucky knocks out the 2a.  Good job jackass.  

I ran out to Costco in North Plainfiled on 22 shortly before they closed to see what they had and pick up a few items for family members.

Group of supped up cars were traveling together taking turns speeding down 22.  

Juvenile stuff but it leads to other things.  

I'm keeping something close by at all times.  Told wife and kids nobody answers door but me.

8 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

I would ask you the same question.  Hosted video is more reliable than what you have.   There are downsides to each type of system, but on prem DVRs are less reliable.

Your question is irrelevant.

:popcorn:

Nope totally incorrect....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

So, you never have WiFi drop outs from your router or modem in your house, and Comcast, Verizon or Optimum (who ever you have) never has outages or goes down in your area?

Really?

Brief interruptions a few times during the course of a year vs the device failing.  And anecdotal.. “my device has been running for years” ..is just that. Anecdotal.  

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

:popcorn:

Nope totally incorrect....

Ah...  no.

54 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

Brief interruptions a few times during the course of a year

Which shows how you don't realize how often it truly drops out. It drops a heck of a lot more frequent. I see it all the time.

54 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

vs the device failing.  And anecdotal.. “my device has been running for years” ..is just that. Anecdotal.  

Says the guy who probably has limited experience with the devices, or believes the sales pitch by Ring. You do know that hard drives have been in computers and other devices for multiple decades, right? I don't remember anyone who has ever had a hard drive failure.

@Sniper - goodness, you clearly have strong opinions on the preferred method to managing/storing digital data from cameras. Fine, but there's really no need to tell another poster how "clueless" he is... or that he "believes a sales pitch"... simply because he has a different point of view. The world is full of intelligent people who hold opposing viewpoints - yet most manage to not actually fling poo at each other. Imagine that!  So, no more insults.

That goes for anyone else reading this, too. You are all more than capable of debating an issue without resorting to insults and personal attacks - particularly in a public-facing forum where your behavior (like it or not) may be interpreted by some as representing gun owners at-large.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

Uh. Yes.  You have their staff and redundant systems in their top tier data centers with multiple 10 gb ISP connections in your house?

Yeah.  Really.

Oooh wonderful. So that means his cable, DSL, fiber or whatever isn't a single point of failure? 

The cloud is almost never down. The cloud is also never 100% up. It's always broken for someone. ALWAYS. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Kinda....  

Your reliance on the 'cloud' and other for your surveillance footage is not the best  methodology

There is no ‘cloud’.

The equipment providing hosted services is far more reliable that anything you put on a shelf in your closet.   This isn’t an opinion. Its a fact.   And the argument.... “so what if your internet goes down”.... isn’t valid.

For home dvr’s... you don’t care what it sees when you’re away?  How does that alert you to activity? Does your dog start a Twilight Bark?

I’ll let Alphabet, Microsoft and The various data center providers that they got it all wrong. They just need a PC at Sniper’s house and they’re good....

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Which shows how you don't realize how often it truly drops out. It drops a heck of a lot more frequent. I see it all the time.

Says the guy who probably has limited experience with the devices, or believes the sales pitch by Ring. You do know that hard drives have been in computers and other devices for multiple decades, right? I don't remember anyone who has ever had a hard drive failure.

I know exactly how much it drops.  I do this for a living.  Not a hobby.  I actually monitor both of my providers.

limited experience...

I’ve been building and managing complex systems for 35 years.

Drives fail all the time.  We had an NVMe drive fail Tuesday.  About a dozen ssds fail in the past 6 months.

That’s fine.  This is a pointless discussion.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

There is no ‘cloud’.

The equipment providing hosted services is far more reliable that anything you put on a shelf in your closet.   This isn’t an opinion. Its a fact.   And the argument.... “so what if your internet goes down”.... isn’t valid.

For home dvr’s... you don’t care what it sees when you’re away?  How does that alert you to activity? Does your dog start a Twilight Bark?

I’ll let Alphabet, Microsoft and The various data center providers that they got it all wrong. They just need a PC at Sniper’s house and they’re good....

I do both.  I have a Nest Doorbell and a local NVR at my house that alerts me via email with a snapshot.  The NVR has a big drive, so I keep back 6 weeks but the weakness is it is local.  The Nest keeps 5 days, but the strength is that it's uploaded to the google so it's available if the house/nvr/whatever is compromised.

Most NVRs these days will upload motion to the cloud and store the rest locally.  I'm just not willing to pay for it.

1 minute ago, Kevin125 said:

I know exactly how much it drops.  I do this for a living.  Not a hobby.  I actually monitor both of my providers.

limited experience...

I’ve been building and managing complex systems for 35 years.

Drives fail all the time.  We had an NVMe drive fail Tuesday.  About a dozen ssds fail in the past 6 months.

That’s fine.  This is a pointless discussion.  

I just want to pile on here.

I maintain about 150 machines here where I work.

This picture is the dead soldiers, all of them had catastrophic failure.  Yes, some of them are PATA, most are not.  Included is a Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVME SSD.

I keep the drives and peel the magnets out when I get some spare time.

drives.jpg

12 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I love when our guys that actually do this stuff beat down our village idiot... s

And now you're being insulting. :facepalm:

To everyone reading this: you all need to stop personally attacking each other. It's a bad look. Attack the idea, but not the person. I'm tired of repeating myself. Next step is timeouts for anyone who can't follow this most basic rule of decorum.

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Next step is timeouts...

Ok, the notion of a timeout when we're already under lockdown made me laugh...

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

There is no ‘cloud’.

How is a shitty internet Connection am invalid argument?  Real world example: internet goes down every time the wind blows to hard. Persists for months until the cable company finally tracks down the line problem. 

How does the cloud fix that? 

Well, for one,  both hosted and home DVRs will rely on your internet connection for notification and remote access.  Yes.. the DVR will continue to document activity and you can watch it while at home. Valid reasons for having security system, but not the only reasons.

There are arguments for both options. I prefer not to have equipment in my closet that I have to deal with.  -that- equipment is less reliable than an enterprise class platform in multiple data centers.

42 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

Well, for one,  both hosted and home DVRs will rely on your internet connection for notification and remote access.  Yes.. the DVR will continue to document activity and you can watch it while at home.

That's the whole point of video security, to have recorded video to show if a incident/robbery/accident happens, so you can give it to LEO to investigate. Watching remotely is just an added accessory.

How will you give your recorded video of a guy breaking into your house to LEOs, if your Internet/router/modem decided to take a dump at that time?

42 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

There are arguments for both options. I prefer not to have equipment in my closet that I have to deal with.  -that- equipment is less reliable than an enterprise class platform in multiple data centers.

That data center is only as good as the weakest link in the chain, which is your home Internet connection and wireless connections. The less connections between the cameras and the storage device, the better.

Your internet service must suck if you are that worried about it going out during that once in a decade break in into your house.

I’d rather call the cops while they are there than expect some local detective to find someone from a bad camera angle that the detective really isn’t interested in finding.

Sure.

I’m not so concerned about a temporary relaxing of action taken by cops for certain things.  I think most of the local PDs have been doing this long enough to know what matters more and what matters less.  Not all of them will get that right.  There are dips*&t Chiefs of Police just as there are dipshit welders.  Hopefully they will keep themselves healthier and get back to normal soon.  It could be equally bad or worse...if half of them got sick and went on leave.  Freehold Twp has at least 3 on quarantine and I believe at least one member of the county swat team is somehow affected by way of contact.

33 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Can we please return to our regularly scheduled program, namely “No Police...So What?

You won't have to call the cops, Trump has your back. I wonder why he's doing this:

Trump authorizes call-up of military reservists to active duty: white house

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday signed an executive order authorizing the secretaries of homeland security and defense to call up military and Coast Guard reservists to active duty, the White House said.

Under the order, the two secretaries are authorized to order reservists from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard to active duty for up to two years “not to exceed 1,000,000 members on active duty at any one time.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-military/trump-authorizes-call-up-of-military-reservists-to-active-duty-white-house-idUSKBN21E3I1