Sniper

Will the Covid Rescue Bill INCREASE Unemployment???

After the rescue bill was passed on Friday, besides the $1,200 stimulus check, it also includes an additional $600 per week added to UE checks. So, I was doing some back of the envelope calculations, and wondering if this will actually INCREASE layoffs with employers barely hanging on... By adding a additional $600 to the weekly UE check, laid of workers will make MORE than working.... it would be more beneficial for a business owner struggling to stay open, to just fire his employees...

Median personal income in the country is like $34k right now, about $653 a week. In NJ, the UE check (about 60%) for that income is about $390 a week. So, on top of that $390, the government will send a ADDITIONAL $600 each week. Talk about a windfall!  $990  a week!! It's like hitting the lottery!!

So, why would any employer who's business is dead, try to keep anyone on the payroll? He could save tons of money, cut all non-essentials, as they would still get money.

Pushing the number up, the maximum UE payment in the state is $696 a week. That would be for people making like $60K a year. Any income higher, the maximum stays the same at $696. So, someone making around $60k a year / $1,200 a week, pretty much stays even ($696 +$600).

Are all these employees across the country making under $60K a year (which is tons) looking at a vacation this Monday?

That would make the new UE applications next week go nuts....

Well, that's been the concern of multiple Republicans for a few days now... ever since the House (pork) version was introduced. It's a flawed approach to say the least. Entitlement benefits should never provide a disincentive to work.

I never would have voted for this bill. And when the msm came I would have held up a blackboard with all the crap the dems wanted that had nothing to do with the bill listed and how much it was gonna cost. I'm think that at some point before the election Trump will do just that. Throw it in the public's face. Let them see how much the dems care about the general public in this time of crises. They have no shame. My stepson's on unemployment now and is praying that he qualifies for the increase. He really doesn't need a reason to stop looking for a job. This bill as written looks like does.

8 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

He really doesn't need a reason to stop looking for a job. This bill as written looks like does.

That's what I see, too. With the way this bill got written, even if they lifted the stay-at-home orders, who in the service industry will rush back to work, when getting this windfall?

Tickets will be jacked up for the Kennedy Center and only limousine liberals will be able to attend.  Additionally, Milk and Bread will be about $12 per gallon and loaf.  And the Federal Government will be part owner of ALL non-essential businesses.  

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Tickets will be jacked up for the Kennedy Center and only limousine liberals will be able to attend.  

No they won't. There won't be any performance. They've fired all the musicians and pocketed the $25,000,000.

Do we get it now?

• Like 1

If a company decides it will furlough employees, some of those employees will volunteer to be laid off since they will, for a period of time, make more money and not have to go to work.  Their gamble is will the furlough outlast the extra $600.  I don’t know how long thT cash will be there as a supplement.

As far as increasing unemployment, we can’t furlough ourselves.  The company controls that.  Will they be more willing to do it knowing it won’t hurt the employee? Maybe.  But I think they are going to look at the bottom line and act to preserve the company and whatever staff they can hang on to.

1 hour ago, Kevin125 said:

The company controls that.  Will they be more willing to do it knowing it won’t hurt the employee? Maybe.  But I think they are going to look at the bottom line and act to preserve the company and whatever staff they can hang on to.

I guess it would depend on incoming revenues too. If incoming business slows down, for lack of need, how long can they keep employees on the payroll with lower revenues? The bottom line usually wins....