Rick_F

Good deals on ACOGS?

Just wondering if anyone has seen any really good deals.  I have two 3.5xs, a green horseshoe and a red cross hair, and was hoping to find a 4x chevron (green or red) at $800+/- in either LED or Tritium/FO.  Primary Arms has an Accupower 1-4x @ $469 I was looking at, but I don't think I'd ever take it off of 4x, making variable redundant for my needs.  Please let me know what you come across.  Thanks.

In the not too distant past, I’ve bought several new TA-31Fs for $800...just have to poke around and find a deal. 

I’ve also bought several used, excellent condition TA-31F and TA01NSNs for $450-600. 

Deals are out there. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

IMO the Accupoint is a superior choice to the ACOG - especially in the area of eye relief and eye box.

At that price, it is a no brainer. Get the Accupoint.

Buying a fixed power scope in today’s age of affordable, robust, reliable and lightweight LPVOs is crazy.

Thanks for your feedback. I’m not really that familiar with them as all my variable scopes are much higher on the magnification range.  I love the brightness and clarity of the ACOGs. Will the smaller objective of the typical 1-4x hurt in the regard?  I’m content to put it on 4x and leave it, which is why I was looking into a fixed scope. Having variability I’m not going to use must have some detriment, no?

• Like 1

in the near future you might find ACOG's cheap, now that the Army switched to the Sig Tango 1-6 and the Marine Corps is switching to the VCOG I think Trijicon might discontinue the ACOG.

I agree with High Exposure, you can get Accupoint's and Accupower's for a lot less. I have the Accupower 1-8, has a FFP reticle like a red dot, nice 28mm objective lens for better visibility. I like the Accupower's reticle options over the Accupoint along with better windage and elevation turrets. The only downsides are the battery life and with a 34mm tube it's a tank on most rifles, I run mine on a AR-10 and it's perfect for that application, not ideal on a AR-15 for me atleast.

Outside of the VCOG and ACOG you can get most trijicon optics for less than their listing price. Accupower 1-8 has a list of $1800, I see them selling for $1100-1200 regularly. I've been told the new Credo line is replacing the Accupower so you might find Accupower's even cheaper.

I have both an Accupower 1-8 and a Nightforce NX8, it's tough to say which one I like better. I can give you a comparison between the 2 if you're interested but if you're not looking to spend $1500+ on a Nightforce, go with a Trijicon. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Define “apparently better”.

1-8x provides for a wider range of magnification than 1-4x, and includes all that 1-4x offers in terms of magnification. More is better, right?

However, I can only assume that it comes with a cost in some other aspect of the scope. I would like to understand what that might be.

I picked the Strike Eagle because it also retails at $399.

11 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

What's the advantage of the 1-4 accupower vs. something apparently better like the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 which goes for the same money?

Its a $650+ optic basically on clearance. The new Credo line is the slightly upgraded version. 

1-4x was chosen for size, weight and application, under 300 yards

The 1-8x Accupower is normally about $1100, the new credo is about $1300

From what I can tell at least compared to the Strike Eagle line, the Accupower is better in every aspect. 

I choose it for optical clarity and durability.

Honestly, the new trijicon Ascent line is gonna cut into all these low cost lpvo optics bottom line if they keep the accupower build quality, minus the electronics.

• Thanks 1

I had a strike Eagle 1-6 and I can tell you that get what you pay for AND remember - in all things - there is a difference between best price and best value. The SE was a great entry into the world of LPVO and in that regard it served its purpose. But with serious use, I quickly found its limitations.

There is a reason that the Vortex SE is under $500 and serious use 1-8 LPVOs are closer to $2000.

The Trijicon is much more robust and the quality of the optic is much higher than the Strike Eagle.

The Accupower has better glass, larger eyebox, more forgiving eye relief and, a better reticle (admittedly, the reticle preference is completely subjective).

More magnification does not equal more gooder. I would trade higher magnification for reliability, clearer glass, a larger eyebox, and more forgiving eye relief all day long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

I had a strike Eagle 1-6 and I can tell you that get what you pay for AND remember - in all things - there is a difference between best price and best value. The SE was a great entry into the world of LPVO and in that regard it served its purpose. But with serious use, I quickly found its limitations.

There is a reason that the Vortex SE is under $500 and serious use 1-8 LPVOs are closer to $2000.

The Trijicon is much more robust and the quality of the optic is much higher than the Strike Eagle.

The Accupower has better glass, larger eyebox, more forgiving eye relief and, a better reticle (admittedly, the reticle preference is completely subjective).

More magnification does not equal more gooder. I would trade higher magnification for reliability, clearer glass, a larger eyebox, and more forgiving eye relief all day long.

Yup, I was looking for a $1500 LVPO optic, and will probably grab a 1-6x such as the Vortex Razor in the future, but this made more financial sense right now and has huge value for the price.