Ray Ray

Body armor, you NEED it

Gentlemen, and lady.  If your plans include using a firearm for self defense then you should also plan on getting shot at.  This cop took 4 slugs and is still alive.  He even got 2 shots off.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Gentlemen, and lady.  If your plans include using a firearm for self defense then you should also plan on getting shot at.  This cop took 4 slugs and is still alive.  He even got 2 shots off.  

Birdshot woulda just bounced off....

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I have a plate carrier, but I wouldn't plan on it saving me. The plate ends right below vital organs. I'd assume kevlar protects lower?

Heavy, but .......
Testudo Gen 2 Plate Carrier & Armor Basic Loadout 
Carrier Color:               
1 x Black - Testudo™ Plate Carrier - Gen 2 $0.00     TESTUDO2BLK            
Pistol Magazine Pouch:               
1 x AR500 Armor® Multi-Caliber Pistol Magazine Pouch (MCPMP) - Black $0.00     PISTOLBLK            
Rifle Magazine Pouch:               
1 x AR500 Armor® Multi-Caliber Rifle Magazine Pouch (MCRMP) - Black $0.00     ARMAGBLK            
Holster:               
1 x AR500 Armor® Multi-Caliber Pistol Holster (MCPH) - Black $0.00     HOLSTERBLK            
Armor Orientation:
Right Handed               
Armor Level:
Level III+               
Level III+ Armor:               
2 x Level III+ 10" x 12" Flat, Base Coat $0.00     3+10X12FR            

armor.jpg

10 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Wow. Amazing shooting by the other deputy. 

• Agree 1

Anybody here old enough to remember when Second Chance body armor came to the market? They made an offer to any LEO who wore their armor and survived being shot, and subsequently smoked the perpetrator a free Model 29 S&W.

I believe that it was the DOJ that put a stop to this because they said it was too much like bounty hunting. LOL.

Be safe. Be healthy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Anybody here old enough to remember when Second Chance body armor came to the market? They made an offer to any LEO who wore their armor and survived being shot, and subsequently smoked the perpetrator...

They also invented the bowling pin shoot, as I recall. The Second Chance owner would demo his product by shooting himself in the vest, then blasting a bowling pin off of a table. That lead to the Second Chance pin shoot, which I understand got to be a huge event.  They’d give away a gently used Mercedes as the grand prize. 

12 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I have a plate carrier, but I wouldn't plan on it saving me. The plate ends right below vital organs. I'd assume kevlar protects lower?

Of course  there are limitations. Body armor doesnt save your life unless your hit where it covers... it does however buy you time by covering area that when shot will kill you in minutes. 

However, you could get shot in the thigh and die as fast as being shot in the chest if the femoral artery is hit. But people dont typically shoot at the legs, they go for center mass.

A plate carrer also starts below the most important organ of all...

Ballistic helmets are also helpful, but the rifle plate that goes on them literally barely covers your forehead.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Anybody here old enough to remember when Second Chance body armor came to the market? They made an offer to any LEO who wore their armor and survived being shot, and subsequently smoked the perpetrator a free Model 29 S&W.

I believe that it was the DOJ that put a stop to this because they said it was too much like bounty hunting. LOL.

Be safe. Be healthy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Second Chance came to the market in the early/middle 70s. I bought my first in 1976.  IIRC Davis offered a new 357.  I don't think it was DOJ but his lawyers who advised him to stop this.

Second Chance subsequently went belly up after they were caught making defective vests.  Full story here:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/former-second-chance-body-armor-president-settles-false-claims-act-case-related-defective

Not sure what they say now but it used to be a 5 years service life for a vest.  I used my original vest for 6 years until the agency I worked for bought everybody one and continued to do so for the rest of my career.  I took care of that vest as directed.  I shot it about 25 years later and it still stopped everything it was advertised to.

2 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Don't remember that but I do have a Second Chance carrier without plates from several years ago.  It is pretty darn comfy.... and works with my IIIA soft plates...

20 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Looks like Shellback has good reviews - they use 500 Denier Nylon so it's tough stuff, not cheaper materials.  The plates themselves are on the NIJ Certified list (Shellback 1155).

image.png.fe27e617200389139f9ab0a0a615c916.png

I would take that lead time with a grain of salt, however.  Body Armor manufacturers are completely slammed

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

This may sound like a dumb question, but for those of you that have invested in body armor, in what situations do you expect to use it?

Right away these days when the SHTF which could be at any time...

16 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

This may sound like a dumb question, but for those of you that have invested in body armor, in what situations do you expect to use it?

An old quote: The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.... "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" - 'No ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

If you think you need your rifle - you need your plate armor too.

1 hour ago, tomk62 said:

Responding to a shooting... mainly off duty. On duty... I didn’t personally invest anything in that one.

I forget who does the armor for DHS/CBP, but it is only Level IIIA. That is pretty much a standard across L/E, but I prefer a little higher if I have a choice. Am I likely going to be facing someone with M855 and an AR? Probably not... but the plates that stop that stop the calibers the less rated plates stop.

I still have my DKX armor in the house (Level III), mainly if I have time if someone was breaking in. But in my truck, I keep AR500 Level III+ in there majority of the time.

I do it for two reasons. First, I could conceivably use it in addition to my issued armor... same with my AR pistol, if something happened at work. Also helps out in the one outport that does not have any long guns... which I’ve still been arguing for an M4 there and the other one past it. The other location, I have to drive through Canada... so I wouldn’t push that issue.

Secondly, if I’m around town and crap goes south... toss it on and grab the AR. I preferred the AR500 since it is less picky with the environment (I don’t leave my issued armor or DKX in a hot truck all day).  Add the extra set of patches that came with my other armor (use the ones that specifically say “Police”), and it should be good enough.

That being said, definitely recommend to make sure your armor is fitted correctly. I’ve seen a few people put more of the plate on their belly instead of covering more vital areas.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Probably the same reason we want conceal carry: just in case. No one EXPECTS to need to shoot someone. I think we'd all like to go our entire lives without being in a situation where we need to shoot someone in self-defense. But if something happens where you would need it, better to be prepared and not need it than not be prepared and need it.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, tomk62 said:

there are numerous extreme groups on all sides gaining traction in the US... all it will take is one stupid person to fire one shot at the wrong time.. and chaos will ensue... it will eventually be brought under control.. but in the mean time? I mean we have seen something recently that I have never seen before in my life.. cops ABANDON a police department.. and retreat.. now imagine if you lived in that community.. people running around.. looting.. setting fires.. NO police.. NO law.. NO order... some of those people could be armed.. who knows.. 

also.. the AR... AR pistol.. is becoming such common place.. I would not be surprised to see them used in crimes.. especially home invasion type crimes... hard plate might keep you in the fight just long enough.. it might buy you one extra shot... well worth it IMO.. 

8 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

there are numerous extreme groups on all sides gaining traction in the US... all it will take is one stupid person to fire one shot at the wrong time.. 

It's already happened

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-jessica-doty-whitaker-shot-dead-indianapolis-all-lives-matter-20200713-jcm5oyjca5fz5kge4qtlhh7dnu-story.html

Thanks Vlad, I am pro-body armor and I am seriously considering getting some so I just want to be sure I understand ...

59 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

chaos will ensue... it will eventually be brought under control.. but in the mean time? I mean we have seen something recently that I have never seen before in my life.. cops ABANDON a police department.. and retreat.. now imagine if you lived in that community.. people running around.. looting.. setting fires.. NO police.. NO law.. NO order... some of those people could be armed.. who knows.. 

Makes sense - shit hits the fan situation starts in your hood, go put your body armor on.

59 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

home invasion type crimes... hard plate might keep you in the fight just long enough.. it might buy you one extra shot... well worth it IMO.. 

So someone unexpectedly breaks into my house while I am home - I am either wearing my body armor all the time or I run real quick and go put it on?  Not trying to be argumentative but I don't follow the logic here.

35 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

So someone unexpectedly breaks into my house while I am home - I am either wearing my body armor all the time or I run real quick and go put it on?  Not trying to be argumentative but I don't follow the logic here.

Where else would your spare mags be? It's just a matter how how you train for a threat. I can put my plate carrier on faster than shoes... 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tomk62 said:

depends on situation.. my chest rig (with 3X 30 round mags 1X 40 round mag in the gun 131 rounds total on me) is right next to my rifle.. which is on the 3rd floor of my house.. you need to make quite a bit of noise to get in.. it will be on.. rifle in hand before you get to me..  if I had a plate carrier it would be the same.. depending on the situation.. and timing.. its more than likely I would be over top of them at the last flight of stairs before they even hit them.. unless they ran full speed.. that makes for a great angle for me.. and not such a good angle for them.. 

I have soft armor but looking into plates once all this nonsense subsides.. 

as jack stated.. all depends on your setup and planning..